Sola scriptura is logically untenable

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 484 total)
  • Author

The Bereans, on the other hand, were not adherents of sola scriptura, for they were willing to accept Paul’s new oral teaching as the word of God (as Paul claimed his oral teaching was; see 1 Thess. 2:13). The Bereans, before accepting the oral word of God from Paul, a tradition as even Paul himself refers to it (see 2 Thess. 2:15), examined the Scriptures to see if these things were so. They were noble-minded precisely because they “received the word with all eagerness.” Were the Bereans commended primarily for searching the Scriptures? No. Their open-minded willingness to listen was the primary reason they are referred to as noble-minded—not that they searched the Scriptures. A perusal of grammars and commentaries makes it clear that they were “noble-minded” not for studying Scripture, but for treating Paul more civilly than did the Thessalonians—with an open mind and generous courtesy (see I. Howard Marshall, “The Acts of the Apostles” in the Tyndale New Testament Commentaries [Grand Rapids, Michigan: Eerdmans, 1981], 5:280).

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    But you have rejected scripture including the teachings of Christ in Paul in favour of your addled traditions.
    Scripture is no longer truth to you?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    If you brought Tertullians trinity to the bereans do you think they would accept it as well?
    They would laugh at you.

kerwin
    Participant

CatholicApologist wrote:

The Bereans, on the other hand, were not adherents of sola scriptura, for they were willing to accept Paul’s new oral teaching as the word of God (as Paul claimed his oral teaching was; see 1 Thess. 2:13).

What?

Why do you believe that the teachings of Jesus the Anointed One add to the Old Testament Teaching especially when God stated that anyone who added or subtracted from the Law will be cursed?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi K,
    Their work is self justification and however scripture can be moulded is OK for them.

KangarooJack
    Participant

CA said:

The Bereans, on the other hand, were not adherents of sola scriptura, for they were willing to accept Paul’s new oral teaching as the word of God (as Paul claimed his oral teaching was; see 1 Thess. 2:13).

CA,
    Nonsense! The Bereans lived during the time that new covenant truth was being revealed. Paul said that his gospel came by revelation from Jesus Christ. There are no apostles AFTER Paul who may claim that their gospel is by the revelation of Jesus Christ. All that are called “gospels” are to be measured by the INSCRIPTURATED word of Paul. Long live sola scriptura!

You have been put in check mate.

thinker

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 23 2009,09:15)
    CatholicApologist wrote:

What?

Why do you believe that the teachings of Jesus the Anointed One add to the Old Testament Teaching especially when God stated that anyone who added or subtracted from the Law will be cursed?

“until all be fulfilled”

Jesus fulfilled the law of Moses.

Quote (thethinker @ Sep. 23 2009,09:33)
    CA said:

CA,
    Nonsense! The Bereans lived during the time that new covenant truth was being revealed. Paul said that his gospel came by revelation from Jesus Christ. There are no apostles AFTER Paul who may claim that their gospel is by the revelation of Jesus Christ. All that are called “gospels” are to be measured by the INSCRIPTURATED word of Paul. Long live sola scriptura!

thinker

Check mate? I've been stoned with marshmallows is more like it.

To be real honest, what you wrote didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Could you maybe take my argumentation and try to refute it?

Hope that's not too much trouble.

georg
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 23 2009,10:42)

CatholicApologist wrote:

What?

“until all be fulfilled”

I don't know if I ever said this.  Since your thinking is that Tradition also makes a difference in what you believe, I will say this:” in Math. 15:9 ” But in vain  do they worship Me, teaching for the doctrine and commandments of men.”
    Wake up.
    Peace and Love Irene

Quote (georg @ Sep. 23 2009,10:52)
    I don't knoiw if I ever said this.  Since your thinking is that Tradition also makes a difference in what you believe, I will say this:” in Math. 15:9 ” But in vain  do they worship Me, teaching for the doctrine and commandments of men.”
    Wake up.
    Peace and Love Irene

I don't remember if I ever said this to you. Since your thinking is that Tradition is to be rejected, I will say this:

“Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and

hold the traditions

which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.” – 2 Thess. 2:15

Wake up!

CA

Quote (georg @ Sep. 23 2009,10:52)
    I don't knoiw if I ever said this.  Since your thinking is that Tradition also makes a difference in what you believe, I will say this:” in Math. 15:9 ” But in vain  do they worship Me, teaching for the doctrine and commandments of men.”
    Wake up.
    Peace and Love Irene

I don't remember if I ever said this to you.  Since your thinking is that Tradition is to be rejected, I will say this:

“Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle.” – 2 Thess. 2:15

Wake up!

CA

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Surely you do not think the traditions of the anointed men of God compare in any way with your ragtag bunch?

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 23 2009,10:46)

Quote (thethinker @ Sep. 23 2009,09:33)
    CA said:

CA,

thinker

Check mate?  I've been stoned with marshmallows is more like it.

To be real honest, what you wrote didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Could you maybe take my argumentation and try to refute it?

Hope that's not too much trouble.

My point was that the Bereans recognized that Paul was an oracle of God. So you cannot invoke them and say that they did not practice sola scriptura.
    You give elaborate arguments in reply to others and yet you can't reply to thethinker's common sense argument?

thinker

Quote (thethinker @ Sep. 23 2009,14:00)
    My point was that the Bereans recognized that Paul was an oracle of God. So you cannot invoke them and say that they did not practice sola scriptura.
    You give elaborate arguments in reply to others and yet you can't reply to thethinker's common sense argument?

thinker

I think it is hilarious that you referred to yourself in third person. Wasn't expecting that from you.

Forgive me, but I can admit to the possibility of being dense here. But I'm still not seeing your point.

You say, “Paul was an oracle of God.” Do you believe that everything that St. Paul preached was written down? It is self evident that it wasn't. So you're going to have to help me understand your point here.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Why do you ignore what is written down in favour of the vain thoughts of those woolly headed theologians in Rome?

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 23 2009,05:42)

CatholicApologist wrote:

What?

“until all be fulfilled”

That I agree with since when one walks(lives) according to the Holy Spirit they will fulfill the righteous requirements of the law and so love their neighbor as themselves.

Still, the implicating I received from what you wrote about the Bereans seemed different.

The coming of Holy Spirit is testified in the Old Testament Scripture with these words.

Jerimiah 31:34(NIV) reads:

No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
          or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,'
          because they will all know me,
          from the least of them to the greatest,”
          declares the LORD.
          “For I will forgive their wickedness
          and will remember their sins no more.”

If you believe that prophecy then why do you believe that a man, even if he is a priest, is required to teach you; or for that matter me?  Should not God's Spirit that is within those that believe Jesus is the Anointed One Teach each of us?  If we do not have the Spirit then we need to get it.

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 23 2009,17:24)
    If you believe that prophecy then why do you believe that a man, even if he is a priest, is required to teach you; or for that matter me?  Should not God's Spirit that is within those that believe Jesus is the Anointed One Teach each of us?  If we do not have the Spirit then we need to get it.

You'll have to explain to me why you think Jesus told the apostles:

“Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.” – Matt. 28:20

or why teachers were set in the Church by God:

“And God indeed hath set some in the church; first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly doctors (teachers)” – 1 Cor. 12:28a

Just because Catholics are given the Holy Spirit to live inside them doesn't abolish the need for teachers. I should hardly have to tell you that these two Scriptures I quoted are the tip of the iceberg on the subject.

Just grant me the point so we can move on.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,.
    Indeed Jesus is still with his body and working through them.
    Nothing to do with the falsehood, ritualism and posturing of Rome though.

kerwin
    Participant

CatholicApologist wrote:

Just because Catholics are given the Holy Spirit to live inside them doesn't abolish the need for teachers.  I should hardly have to tell you that these two Scriptures I quoted are the tip of the iceberg on the subject.

God does not contradict himself so he meant what he stated in Jeremiah 31 as well as what he meant in Matthew 28.   The question then is “how do you interpret those two scriptures so they do not contradict?”   The answer comes in two parts.  The first is that one must hear and believe the good news of the new covenant before you can receive the Holy Spirit and even then you must be led to God.  The second is the Holy Spirit is your councilor and thus gives you an ear to hear and discern what comes from God and what is from the devil.   In this way you can listen to a teacher and determine if his teacher is true or false because putting your faith in man if foolishness.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Catholicism does not lead to the inspiration of God but their apostasy divides them from God.
    Besides their faith is never in personal inspiration but only that of their self appointed leadership.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 484 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account