Sola Scriptura

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    jhenTux
    Participant

Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, “by scripture alone”) is the assertion that the Bible as God's written word is self-authenticating, clear (perspicuous) to the rational reader, its own interpreter (“Scripture interprets Scripture”), and sufficient of itself to be the final authority of Christian doctrine.

Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the reformer Martin Luther and is a definitive principle of Protestants today (see Five solas)

Sola scriptura may be contrasted with Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox teaching, in which doctrine is taught by the teaching authority of the Church, drawing on the “Deposit of Faith”, based on what they consider to be “Sacred Tradition”, of which Scripture is a subset.

Source: Wikipedia

My question: Is the bible not enough or not complete that we need Traditions?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi jh,
    You need the Spirit to discern the bible.
    Not every translation is honest and unbiased.
    They are all based on man's choice of manuscript.

jhenTux
    Participant

hi nick. as usual, always the first to reply on my questions. tnx for that. so my question is still left unanswered. do we need traditions?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi jh,
    Paul did not discard them entirely

2 Thessalonians 3:6
    Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

Scriptural Truth takes precedence

Participant

Quote (jhenTux @ Mar. 10 2008,12:27)
    Sola scriptura (Latin ablative, “by scripture alone”) is the assertion that the Bible as God's written word is self-authenticating, clear (perspicuous) to the rational reader, its own interpreter (“Scripture interprets Scripture”), and sufficient of itself to be the final authority of Christian doctrine.

Sola scriptura was a foundational doctrinal principle of the Protestant Reformation held by the reformer Martin Luther and is a definitive principle of Protestants today (see Five solas)

Sola scriptura may be contrasted with Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox teaching, in which doctrine is taught by the teaching authority of the Church, drawing on the “Deposit of Faith”, based on what they consider to be “Sacred Tradition”, of which Scripture is a subset.

Source: Wikipedia

My question: Is the bible not enough or not complete that we need Traditions?

Hi:

I believe that the Catholic church uses the following scripture to support their doctrine of scripture and tradtions:

15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

But this scripture is speaking about the instruction to the church by the Apostle Paul and those under his authority either orally or by a written epistle.  Then, not every one had access to the bible as we do today.

If God is instructing us through His Word how to live in right standing with him, do we need men to add or take away from what God is saying to us?

2Ti 3:16
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Stu
    Participant

Quote (jhenTux @ Mar. 10 2008,13:15)
    hi nick. as usual, always the first to reply on my questions. tnx for that. so my question is still left unanswered. do we need traditions?

If you want to square the Genesis myth with modern science you will need the profoundly dishonest creationism industry to be included in your tradition. Genesis just doesn't match archeology. You could ask kejonn for more details about this.

The christian apologist tradition is also needed to square all the other factual and ethical inconsistencies that can be discerned from a literal reading of, say, the KJV. Apologists are charletans too, in my inhumble opinion!

Stuart

Cato
    Participant

Quote (jhenTux @ Mar. 10 2008,12:27)

I think it fails in that the Bible is not self authenticating, or clear to a rational reader.  The problem with traditions of the church is they are no better.  If the Bible was clear there would not be so much debate, just look at this site as an example.

This is not to say it is without value, that truths may not be found therein, but they don't seem to be God's written word but rather men's interpretations thereof.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cato,
    There is no worse supporter than a lukewarm one.
    Rev3

Cato
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 11 2008,08:39)
    Hi cato,
    Rev3

Nick,

I firmly support The Almighty, and Lord Jesus, what I don't firmly support is writings of men, that other men compile, declare holy and say is the direct word of the creator. I think strict belief in such, does more harm to heaven's cause then help it.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi cato,
    Has heaven any other cause for us than we believe and obey scripture?

kejonn
    Participant

Yeow, you have fallen into idol worship Nick. You seem to place the bible above life itself. It IS just a book you know. Maybe its time to mean the living God, not just blindly follow an old dusty tome.

kejonn
    Participant

“meet the living God” was what I meant :;):.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    But you have just cut your ties to Him?

kejonn
    Participant

God lives. He is not found exclusively in a book that was written 1900 years ago. Maybe you should seek that God and not the one written of by ancient people?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Yes the living God can be perceived through His works of creation.
    Jesus is the only way to him.

Acts 4:12
    “And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.”

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 10 2008,20:08)
    Hi KJ,
    Yes the living God can be perceived through His works of creation.
    Jesus is the only way to him.

Not according to Jews, Hindus, Muslims, etc. What makes you more right than them? Saul of Tarsus?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    How many of them outside of the Spirit of God have performed godly miracles and been raised from the dead?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ Mar. 11 2008,10:37)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 11 2008,08:39)
    Hi cato,
    Rev3

Nick,

I firmly support The Almighty, and Lord Jesus, what I don't firmly support is writings of men, that other men compile, declare holy and say is the direct word of the creator. I think strict belief in such, does more harm to heaven's cause then help it.

Imagine relying on the truth being passed on orally though?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yeow KJ.

You need da messiah, man.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yeow KJ.

You might need to change your website to findingunbelievers.com

findingunbelievers.com is available.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account