Rene descartes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Quote (bodhitharta @ July 14 2009,21:01)

Quote (Jodi Lee @ July 15 2009,14:09)
    I just noticed this trying to go back and look for a particular thread.

Thanks for the links Nick, I'll check it out. I know little about Rene Descartes other then he was a French philosopher and mathematician, I stumbled across his quote awhile back on a website full of famous quotes. Being a person who finds lies and deceit everywhere from mainstream Christian doctrine to evolutionary science that's in our children's textbooks, this quote really struck a cord with me.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Anyone else like the quote? Personally I think it is great advice, don't know much about the man, but the quote is good and I think it fits well on this forum.

You HYPOCRITE! You go out of the Bible to be educated by someone who doesn't even claim to be inspired by God and then you condemn a belief that says it is inspired by God.

So what about the Idol of Jodi? What does his peers say of his time?

The religious beliefs of René Descartes have been rigorously debated within scholarly circles. He claimed to be a devout Roman Catholic, claiming that one of the purposes of the Meditations was to defend the Christian faith. However, in his own era, Descartes was accused of harboring secret deist or atheist beliefs. Contemporary Blaise Pascal said that “I cannot forgive Descartes; in all his philosophy he did his best to dispense with God. But he could not avoid making Him set the world in motion with a flip of His thumb; after that he had no more use for God.”[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene_Descartes

Jodi,

PURE MONOTHEISM is less than ATHEISM?

Ouch!

Quote (bodhitharta @ July 14 2009,21:33)

Quote (Jodi Lee @ July 15 2009,16:08)

Quote (bodhitharta @ July 15 2009,16:01)

Quote (Jodi Lee @ July 15 2009,14:09)

Thanks for the links Nick, I'll check it out. I know little about Rene Descartes other then he was a French philosopher and mathematician, I stumbled across his quote awhile back on a website full of famous quotes. Being a person who finds lies and deceit everywhere from mainstream Christian doctrine to evolutionary science that's in our children's textbooks, this quote really struck a cord with me.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Anyone else like the quote? Personally I think it is great advice, don't know much about the man, but the quote is good and I think it fits well on this forum.

You HYPOCRITE! You go out of the Bible to be educated by someone who doesn't even claim to be inspired by God and then you condemn a belief that says it is inspired by God.

So what about the Idol of Jodi? What does his peers say of his time?

The religious beliefs of René Descartes have been rigorously debated within scholarly circles. He claimed to be a devout Roman Catholic, claiming that one of the purposes of the Meditations was to defend the Christian faith. However, in his own era, Descartes was accused of harboring secret deist or atheist beliefs. Contemporary Blaise Pascal said that “I cannot forgive Descartes; in all his philosophy he did his best to dispense with God. But he could not avoid making Him set the world in motion with a flip of His thumb; after that he had no more use for God.”[15]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rene_Descartes

Jodi,

PURE MONOTHEISM is less than ATHEISM?

Whoah dude,

I just said I don't KNOW much about Rene Descartes, so that would certainly MEAN I have NOT been educated by him.

Like I said I was on a website that had a list of famous quotes from presidents to Winston Churchhill, to Gandhi, to Socrates. I was reading quotes man, get a grip, calm down and make sure you have facts strait before calling someone a hypocrite.

Jodi,

You just got holier than thou about me Quoting from a renowed religion that believes in PURE MONOTHEISM and you said everyone should disengage from dialogue with me and yet you as I said are in bed with Atheists and all sorts of beliefs that are non-biblical but you don't wriote agains atheist-catholic rene descartes you write against Muslim- Bodhitharta You are a HYPOCRITE and a Snake.

You should apologize that you attack me while hugging tightly to an Atheist-Universal-Salvationist.

I see why you wanted ME to go somewhere else. Satan has truly made you believe he is not YOUR Enemy.

I love you anyway and may God Bless you.

You have a point there.

Quote (Jodi Lee @ July 14 2009,23:51)
    Hi BD,

This is what I said to you,

“I think it is safe to say, more and more people on this forum are probably not going to bother engaging you.”

This is hardly saying “everyone SHOULD disengage from dialogue” with you. Who's the snake, why are you falsifying my words?

I also said the following,

“Ever since I saw you give authority to the Quran I've pretty much passed over most of your posts. Now that I know this bit about you and your view of Jesus I will probably pass over your posts all the more.”

I don't give ANY other book except the bible authority. Period. I have read parts of other books such as the Quran, and the Book of Enoch, to name two, not looking for truth but to check what their content was out of curiosity. There was a guy on this forum not to long ago who believed in the Urantia Book I didn't care discussing the bible with him either because he gave authority of truth to that book over the bible, and it was just not the focus of what I want to discuss.  

You said, “and yet you as I said are in bed with Atheists and all sorts of beliefs that are non-biblical but you don't wriote agains atheist-catholic rene descartes you write against Muslim- Bodhitharta You are a HYPOCRITE and a Snake.”

How is it I am in bed with Rene Descartes, I have not read a single thing he wrote? I have NO idea what he believes. How does that make me in bed with him? Once again, I said I found a quote of his and I liked it because I found it to be true.  Anyway as far as atheists are concerned, I have many friends who are atheists and they have God's heart written on their hearts, they may not know the law, or know God but God certainly knows them, and He will under His will bring them into the love of the truth, for YHWH is not willing that any should perish but all should come to repentance, and He is the Savior of ALL men, especially those who believe.

Because I like a person's quote that existed hundreds of years ago, that makes me “hugging tightly to an Atheist-Universal-Salvationist.”  ABSURD!

You said, “I see why you wanted ME to go somewhere else.”

What I said last night was,

“You have every right BD to share your belief and follow what you know to be true, however you should remember you're on a Christian forum that is about debating the bible. Maybe you should stick to the 'Other Writings category', when discussing the Quran. I think that would be respectful, just my thoughts.”

So what exactly is your major malfunction?

You said, “Satan has truly made you believe he is not YOUR Enemy.”

I would be more then happy to discuss the Hebrew word for adversary with you, if you stuck only to the bible that is, otherwise, no thanks.

BD, so you “love me anyway”, well how nice of you, if I cared I would have swallowed it reluctant of it's sincerity.

Thanks anyway,  Jodi

But the words you used are suggestive.

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 14 2009,23:58)
    Hi BD,
    Love to you seems similar to hugging a popcupine.

He had a valid point to make.

Jodi Lee
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Jan. 06 2010,02:11)

Quote (Jodi Lee @ July 14 2009,19:09)

It is a quote I would disagree with, there is no truth in “DOUBTING ALL THINGS”.

If you are going to SEEK TRUTH, you doubt what you are told, you question the majority, and you search the scriptures for yourself…..that is how I would like people to take the quote I have under my name.

I doubt what text books tell me about evolution, most of what they declare as fact is based on speculation, and I study and search true facts.  

Shall we ASSUME everything we hear is truth, or should we doubt it first and then prove it to ourselves?

NickHassan
    Participant

For t

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 21 2010,11:33)
    For t

nick

35 years ago i have read all his books.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Jodi,
    I see your byline is of this man.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account