PROVE ALL THINGS

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Please Help! I don't understand how these spirits during Noah's time human spirits

Gen 6:7 And the LORD3068 said,559 I will ” destroy4229″ (853) man120 whom834 I have created1254 from4480, 5921 the face6440 of the earth;127 both man,4480, 120 and5704 beast,929 and5704 the creeping thing,7431 and5704 the fowls5775 of the air;8064 for3588 it repenteth5162 me that3588 I have made6213 them.

H4229
    מחה
    mâchâh
    maw-khaw'
    A primitive root; properly to stroke or rub; by implication to erase; also to smooth (as if with oil), that is, grease or make fat; also to touch, that is, reach to: – abolish, blot out, destroy, full of marrow, put out, reach unto, X utterly, wipe (away, out).

Taken the definition of the word “Destroy” (# 4229) in Gen.6:7 God completely “did away with” all body soul and spirit of the children of the “sons” of God. He flooded the earth and nothing was left save Noah and family.

TIME FRAME OF THESE SPIRITS:
    Do these two scriptures say that these spirits were in the time of Noah?

1 Pet 3:19-20 in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God ” waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water” :

1) God “destroyed” all the flesh, body soul and spirit but that of Noah and family.
    2) The only beings left at that time was the fallen angels and Noah.
    3) Jesus preached to the spirits that were in prision. The spirits that were disobedient in the time of Noah.

Please explain how these spirits who were disobedient “during the time of Noah” who were in prision are spirits of humans?
    I understand that Jesus preached to the spirits held captive and set them free. But these spirits were according to the scriptures were disobedient during Noah's time “NOT BEFORE OR AFTER”.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The times of Noah ended with his death surely?

Does it say they were set free or just preached to?

Could they be all from Adam to Noah's generation who had no law to guide them and has God offered them all forgiveness all on the basis of receiving the testimony of Christ?

I speculate.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 06 2006,20:26)
    Hi,
    The times of Noah ended with his death surely?

Does it say they were set free or just preached to?

Could they be all from Adam to Noah's generation who had no law to guide them and has God offered them all forgiveness all on the basis of receiving the testimony of Christ?

I speculate.

1Pe 3:19-20 in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison, that aforetime were disobedient,
    **when the longsuffering of God waited “IN THE DAYS OF NOAH”, “WHILE THE ARK WAS A PREPARING”, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water:

Oh I'm sorry Nick. In the days of Noah. So I think the time frame of the disobedient spirits is while the ark was being built. which means the spirits were not from Adam to Noah. Thanks anyway.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kenrch,
    This is Youngs literal translation. Does it show light?

“19in which also to the spirits in prison having gone he did preach,

20who sometime disbelieved, when once the long-suffering of God did wait, in days of Noah — an ark being preparing — in which few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    It might be read that the words
    “an ark being prepared”
    links the time of Noah to the water about to be shown as baptism.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 07 2006,03:27)
    Hi kenrch,
    It might be read that the words
    “an ark being prepared”
    links the time of Noah to the water about to be shown as baptism.

Nick, forgive me but who did you say those spirits were? Was it something about the word prision. Which made you think human spirits. If that is the case then the sons of God were men and not angelic beings.

Well I give up I'm going to wait on the Master.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    We know there is a prison for angels called Tartaroo but since angels are not shown to be able to expect forgiveness unlike men then it is unlikely Jesus as Spirit would go there.

We see hades in Lk 16 as taking a form of a prison too but as it is more of a remand centre for the condemned so again it is unlikely that Jesus would be bringing a saving message there either. Those in the bosom of Abraham are already safe in the love of God awaiting justification.

So my guess is that there was yet another prison as part of Sheol in the depths of earth for those back beyond Noah not under law and ignorant of Jesus where Jesus went and preached the message of salvation. But that is only my view..

seminarian
    Participant

Good question Kenrch and even better reasonings Nick,

Nick said:

“So my guess is that there was yet another prison as part of Sheol in the depths of earth for those back beyond Noah not under law and ignorant of Jesus where Jesus went and preached the message of salvation. But that is only my view..”

That sounds plausible but remember what the OT says of Sheol in general?   Something to the effect that “there is no knowledge or device in sheol where you are going”.  If this is the case, people who died before Christ are still asleep in death awaiting Christ's return and resurrection. “…and the dead in Christ will rise first.” (1 Thess 4:16-17)  

I don't think this is a literal rendering though because they would have to be conscious to accept Christ's preaching and the Hebrew teachings of being dead are pretty direct.  The dead know nothing at all nor are able to accept redemption if it were offered to them.   “For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing…” (Ecclesiates 9:5)

Nick I have the NEW Modern Young's Literal Translation, New Testament Psalms and Proverbs.  It came out about 2 years ago and I was first in line to get it.  True to Young's cutting through the traditions and added meanings, it removed the archaic language of pronouns, thee, thou & thine.

I also have Bullinger's Companion Bible which uses the KJV.  I suspect he was trinitarian but he has excellent word studies and translated words. He doesn't try to give you the answers, just the information for you to dig for yourself and there is a LOT to read through.  I just got it so I guess I'll test drive it for my seminary studies.

Be blessed!

Semmy

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi semmy,
    If Samuel can be woken then I guess all can be. He would have been in the bosom of Abraham I would have thought. Again some awoke at the death of Jesus and were seen on the earth again.

Dear Semmy,

You misinterpret scripture brother. That is not what it says in Ecclesiastes 9:5

5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

You are adding your own meaning to what it says. What this verse is referring to is that once you are dead, you cannot do the things that you could do when you where alive. Your reward have been sealed.

So it is better to earn your reward now, because once you are dead, you will not have another chance. And any memory of you will be forgotten in the land of the living.

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (heiscomingintheclouds @ July 18 2006,00:05)
    Dear Semmy,

You misinterpret scripture brother. That is not what it says in Ecclesiastes 9:5

5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

You are adding your own meaning to what it says. What this verse is referring to is that once you are dead, you cannot do the things that you could do when you where alive. Your reward have been sealed.

So it is better to earn your reward now, because once you are dead, you will not have another chance. And any memory of you will be forgotten in the land of the living.

Hi Hicitc,

I think you and Semmy are saying the same thing. Or have I missed something?

Yes, thank you cubes, you are a sweetheart. I am sorry Semmy, I meant to say Nick. Sorry brother. You are a brother right? LOL.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account