PREACHING the good news of the kingdom–(Acts 20;2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

QUESTION: Has anyone here ever tried to go to people with the good news? People on the streets, in the marketplaces, or by house to house?

Anyone?

lineon
    Participant

Hi David

Your question constantly on my mind.
    Not that I am ashamed of our Lord,
    If someone speaks to me about God
    I will answer that person and talk to that person about my belief.
    For me to start the conversation about God
    Towards a stranger is difficult for me.

Thanks for this thread.

Lineon

Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 03 2008,15:41)
    QUESTION:  Has anyone here ever tried to go to people with the good news?  People on the streets, in the marketplaces, or by house to house?

Anyone?

Yes, I have done so on the streets for the past 13 years.

david
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 04 2008,10:21)

QUESTION:  Has anyone here ever tried to go to people with the good news?  People on the streets, in the marketplaces, or by house to house?

Anyone?

94, this fascinates me. So you do what I would call “street witnessing” or “informal witnessing”?
    I'm curious as to how you approach this. For me, in many ways this is easier than the house to house ministry. After all, you get to see who you are going to talk to before you actually approach them. And secondly, in the house to house ministry, there are a lot of people not at home, or simply not willing to answer the door. But with street witnessing, you don't have that.

Anyway, 94, I'm just curious what you actually do.

david
    Participant

Hi David

Your question constantly on my mind.
    Not that I am ashamed of our Lord,
    If someone speaks to me about God
    I will answer that person and talk to that person about my belief.
    For me to start the conversation about God
    Towards a stranger is difficult for me.

Thanks for this thread.

Lineon

Speaking of himself and Silas, Paul wrote: “After we had first suffered and been insolently treated . . . in Philippi, we mustered up boldness by means of our God to speak to you the good news of God with a great deal of struggling.” (1 Thess. 2:2; Acts 16:12, 37)

While imprisoned in Rome, Paul requested that others pray in his behalf in order that he might continue to make known the good news ‘with boldness as he ought to speak.’ (Eph. 6:18-20)

By relying on Jehovah rather than himself, Paul was able to keep speaking God’s word with boldness.—2 Cor. 4:7; Phil. 4:13.

Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 04 2008,13:58)

Quote (942767 @ Oct. 04 2008,10:21)

Anyone?

94, this fascinates me.  So you do what I would call “street witnessing” or “informal witnessing”?
    I'm curious as to how you approach this.  For me, in many ways this is easier than the house to house ministry.  After all, you get to see who you are going to talk to before you actually approach them.  And secondly, in the house to house ministry, there are a lot of people not at home, or simply not willing to answer the door.  But with street witnessing, you don't have that.  

Anyway, 94, I'm just curious what you actually do.

Hi David:

I used a trac which I prepared myself to share the gospel.  I greet the person, introduce my self, and then tell them that I have written the trac to share the gospel out of my love for them, and then ask them if they would like to read what I have to say.  

When I was doing this, I would carry about 50 tracs in one day and get rid of all of them.  The city where I live and do this is a college town where there are people from all over the US and the world. Over these past 13 years, I have been able to share the trac with a multiple of people including people from over 54 different countries.  

However, only three people have actually let me know that they were saved by virtue of my trac., but that does not mean that others may have been saved and did not let me know, and if they have not been saved at the present, they may be at sometime in the future.  My commission is to sow the seed which I have done.

When I was first saved, I tried to go door to door, but I found that does not work as well for various reasons.  Also, I was not ready to share the gospel at that time.  I was full of zeal and didn't have the knowledge required.  God had to slow me down a bit otherwise I would have made a mess of things.

God Bless

david
    Participant

I used a trac which I prepared myself to share the gospel.

Hi 94. Can you please explain to Nick why you use a tract?

The city where I live and do this is a college town where there are people from all over the US and the world.

Where I live, there are a lot of people from other countries (mostly China) and there are also a lot of university students. Often, they're the same people. We find these are very receptive to the good news and it is in the university area that street witnessing is usually done.

When I was first saved, I tried to go door to door, but I found that does not work as well for various reasons.

It's probably not as easy, but it sure makes return visits easier. (And I guess it's more thorough.) I have a question. Did you have your telephone number or contact information on this tract so they could call you and you could follow up interest?

Participant

Hi David:

You ask:

Did you have your telephone number or contact information on this tract so they could call you and you could follow up interest?

My name, address, and telephone number was on the tract

Texas
    Participant

It was also foretold in Matthew 24:14 “That this good news of the Kingdom will be preached throughout all the inhabited earth, for a witness to all Nations, and then, the end will come.”

I feel then, that this is a work that all Christians should be involved in; especially at this late date, so close to the end! Texas

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi texas,
    Are you not a light on a hill?
    Unless others are drawn to the light you waste your time.
    You can travel the earth make proselytes but unless you are walking in the will of God are they helped?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Anyone?

I did for a number of years. Not so much now, but as I go into the world and when the opportunity arises.

david
    Participant

It was also foretold in Matthew 24:14 “That this good news of the Kingdom will be preached throughout all the inhabited earth, for a witness to all Nations, and then, the end will come.”

I feel then, that this is a work that all Christians should be involved in; especially at this late date, so close to the end! Texas

Hi Texas.

Yes, it is the work God prophecied his servants would be doing in this time, the last days.

It seems a certain responsibility comes with knowledge.
    1 CORINTHIANS 9:16
    “If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, WOE IS ME IF I DID NOT DECLARE THE GOOD NEWS!”
    ACTS 20:26-27
    “Hence I call YOU to witness this very day that I am clean from the blood of all men, for I have not held back from telling YOU all the counsel of God.”

Proclaimer
    Participant

David many people actually preach. This is how I came to be a believer. I was raised an atheist and was an atheist for half my life.

I learned early on, to ignore any organisation or commitment to a man-made organisation that comes attached with this. The gospel should be given for free with no compulsion to pay any organisation 10% of your income in return. This is not specifically a dig at JWs as most organisations of men work in this fashion. The more adherents they get, the more money the organisation gets and they use some of that money to send out more people and naturally grow from there.

I see the Body of Christ as the Church and within that body, there are many preachers, teachers, evangelists, and few prophets, and apostles. Many of these may be caught up in a denomination, but that doesn't disqualify them from being true and being able to preach the gospel.

The work of the Church has been going on for millennia, and the gates of hell may have victories, but it will not prevail.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This is how.
    1 Timothy 4:13
    Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.

No mention of any watchtower or other tracts there.

david
    Participant

Hi,
    This is how.
    1 Timothy 4:13
    Until I come, give attention to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation and teaching.

No mention of any watchtower or other tracts there.

Also no mention of “nick.” hmmmmm.

You know, I can find the word “watchtower” in the Bible 5 times. I can't find “nick.” hmmmm.

Watchtowers as you should know, were meant to warn people.
    “The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom” does just that, along with helping to publish the good news of God's kingdom.

David many people actually preach. This is how I came to be a believer. I was raised an atheist and was an atheist for half my life.

I learned early on, to ignore any organisation or commitment to a man-made organisation that comes attached with this.

T8, if this had been your attitude in the first century, you would have been rejecting God's people. You would have thought it better to go on your own, separate from the body of Christ. I completely understand your hatred for religion. I feel it too. Many do. This is why the UN and the nations will eventually turn on religion.

The gospel should be given for free with no compulsion to pay any organisation 10% of your income in return. This is not specifically a dig at JWs as most organisations of men work in this fashion.

T8, I've heard you say this many many many times. And you always connect JW's to the thought. JW's are under no compulsion to pay anything. There is no tithing among JW's. The NT says to give out of a cheerful heart, each one as he has resolved in his own heart. JW's don't tithe. T8, it's almost like tithing is your number one annoyance at religion, you mention it so much. I tend to think sanctifying war and killing people is a much bigger thing. Or teaching people that God is a trinity and that he burns people in hellfire, both God dishonoring false beliefs. But, you hate tithing. I get it. But JW's don't tithe. Also, try as you might to find any JW's who live in luxury at the headquarters, and you will fail. Look as you might for the big fancy houses of any of our governing body at the headquarters, and you simply won't find them. JW's do not get rich off of the preaching work. We do have a donation arrangement as the global preaching work has costs. But the earliest Christians had the same.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Why do the JWs not just offer the bible?

Why must they offer the Watchtower as in doing so they make the two equivalent.

david
    Participant

You'll have a hard time finding any JW who says the Bible and “The Watchtower Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom” magazine are equivalent.

Nick, when you explain the Bible to someone, is your explanation “equivalent” to the Bible itself?
    No. It is just an explanation. It is encouragement from the Bible.

And one of the reasons we don't offer “just” the Bible is because most have a Bible and they don't read it. People do read magazines, as I'm sure you noticed. So why not have a magazine that is based on the Bible? It is no way meant to replace the Bible. It encourages people to look into their Bibles.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    So you could never not take a Watchtower magazine to the door?
    The bible is not enough without man's words?

david
    Participant

Of course I didn't say that, and of course, it's not true.

The bible is not enough without man's words?

And yet, you continue to speak. hmmmm?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Is your fruit drawing others to the Source?
    Surely that is what being as a lamp on the hill means.
    Are you as a tree that draws others to shelter in it's branches?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account