PREACHING the good news of the kingdom–(Acts 20;2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

It has recently been stated (by Gene) that the earliest Christians did not preach from house to house. While there is a thread on “what” to preach there is no topic on “how” to preach. So, here goes.

“Celsus, the first writer against Christianity, makes it a matter of mockery, that labourers, shoemakers, farmers, the most uninformed and clownish of men, should be zealous preachers of the Gospel.”
    (The History of the Christian Religion and Church, During the Three First Centuries, by Augustus Neander; translated from the German by Henry John Rose, 1848, p. 41)

I have personally used a variety of methods to carry out the commission Jesus gave to preach and make disciples (Matthew 28:19,20)
    I have witnessed in marketplaces, on street corners, and in other public areas. (Acts 17:17)
    I’ve spoken to people on the telephone and on the street, and by letter.
    All these methods work and have their place. But preaching from “house to house” seems to be the best method for personally reaching everyone with the good news.

When Jesus sent forth his disciples, he instructed them:
    ““Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. When YOU are entering INTO THE HOUSE, greet the household; and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it;”

Were they to visit without a prior invitation? Note Jesus further words:
    “ Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet.”
    These instructions make clear that as the apostles “went through the territory from village to village, declaring the good news” they were to take the initiative to visit people in their homes. (Luke 9:6)

The Bible specifically mentions that the apostles preached from house to house. For example, Acts 5:42 says of them: “Every day in the temple and FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.”
    Some 20 years later, the apostle Paul reminded the older men of the congregation in Ephesus:
    “I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE.”

Did Paul visit those elders before they became believers?

Evidently so, for he taught them, among other things, “about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.”
    (Acts 20;20,21) Thus, from the start of his missionary service in Asia, Paul searched “from house to house” for spiritually inclined persons.

It’s interesting what else Paul goes on to say in this verse: “I thoroughly bore witness.”

In order to be thorough and reach everyone, you can’t expect people to come to you. You have to “Go” to them. (Mat 28:19)

It seems a certain responsibility comes with knowledge.
    1 CORINTHIANS 9:16
    “If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, WOE IS ME IF I DID NOT DECLARE THE GOOD NEWS!”
    ACTS 20:26-27
    “Hence I call YOU to witness this very day that I am clean from the blood of all men, for I have not held back from telling YOU all the counsel of God.”

(Compare 1 Tim 4:16)
    If Paul, knowing what he knew, remained silent and did teach and preach this good news, he would have considered it bloodguilt on his part–for it is life saving knowledge, and with it comes a responsibility to share it. (John 17:3)

Anyway, that’s a good place to begin. Now, someone can make the comment that they didn’t preach from “house to house” in the distributive sense, and we can go into the grammar.

david

david
    Participant

T8, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I KEEP DOING WRONG
    This thread should be called:
    PREACHING the good news of the kingdom–HOW?
    I'm wondering if you could change it?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    When you knock on doors do you offer the gospel of Christ and only the gospel of Christ?
    Or do you offer your watchtower magazine as well?

Participant

Hi David:

Of course, both those whom Jesus ordained during his ministry on earth and also, the Apostle Paul I know went house to house sharing the gospel.

However, we note that these were ordained before they were sent out.  We the church are commissioned to go into all of the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  However, not everyone is sent out as an evangelist.  Not every member of the body of Christ has the same talents, and there are different stages of maturity among the members.  Some are new members.  

One cannot teach others until one is first taught himself.

Rom 10:13  For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    Rom 10:14 ¶ How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

God Bless

Tiffany
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 30 2008,11:58)
    Hi David:

Of course, both those whom Jesus ordained during his ministry on earth and also, the Apostle Paul I know went house to house sharing the gospel.

However, we note that these were ordained before they were sent out.  We the church are commissioned to go into all of the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  However, not everyone is sent out as an evangelist.  Not every member of the body of Christ has the same talents, and there are different stages of maturity among the members.  Some are new members.  

Rom 10:14 ¶ How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    Rom 10:15  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

God Bless

We can not learn if we do not have God's Holy Spirit. You can have all the knowledge of the earth, but if you are not Baptized and receive God's Holy Spirit you will not get far. IMO
    Peace and Love Irene

charity
    Participant

Everyone preaches their own Good news, some with a little extra force.
    This video may not be on the net for Long.

NickHassan
    Participant

wow

Participant

Quote (Tiffany @ Sep. 30 2008,16:28)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 30 2008,11:58)
    Hi David:

God Bless

We can not learn if we do not have God's Holy Spirit. You can have all the knowledge of the earth, but if you are not Baptized and receive God's Holy Spirit you will not get far. IMO
    Peace and Love Irene

You are not even a Christian unless you have reveived the Holy Spirit, and you can not be a witness for Him if you do not have the knowledge of the truth.

charity
    Participant

It takes a Long time to become child Like again?
    that even one, may wax strong in spirit over time.
    rather they, to be zapped in a moment by an inpatient god?
    -charity

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    He will cause trees to be dug around and manured to encourage them to fruit.
    But eventually he needs to room to plant another.
    None can judge Him.

Romans 15:5
    Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

charity
    Participant

How Many years do you dig around Large trees without fruits? How Many years do they go on and god never destroys them from year to year? Logic,
    Dose God ever take up argument against THE TREES free will?
    Men are the gods of this earth, This is their Kingdom, build or CUT DOWN AND destroy.
    -charity

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    Who is your god?
    Just curious

Matthew 3:10
    “The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Lk13
    7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

david
    Participant

True 94.

MATTHEW 28:19-20
    “Go therefore and make disciples [a disciple is a taught one] of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, TEACHING THEM TO OBSERVE ALL THE THINGS I COMMANDED YOU
    (which would include teaching them this very command.)

It seems a simple process. In the last words of Matthew, Jesus commanded his disciples to make more disciples, and to teach them all that he commanded, which would have to include this command to make disciples.

But, I'm hoping this thread will focus more on “how” we make disciples. Not “should we.”

david
    Participant

Hi charity,
    Who is your god?
    Just curious

Hi NICK, HELLO.
    This thread: “PREACHING the good news of the kingdom–HOW.”

do you have the ability to change the title to the above?

david
    Participant

Before Jerusalem’s fall, Ezekiel was told by God that if he, as a watchman, failed to sound the warning message, he would be held accountable for the blood of the Israelites who perished. (Ezek. 3:17-21; 33:2-16)

In a similar way, Paul, knowing what he knew, would have considered it bloodguilt on his part if he didn't share the good news with all he could.
    ACTS 20:25-27
    ““I know that all of YOU among whom I went preaching the kingdom will see my face no more. Hence I call YOU to witness this very day that I am clean from the blood of all men, for I have not held back from telling YOU all the counsel of God.”

As far as I can tell, there are two reasons why we should tell others about the good news
    1. Love of God (and hence, listening to him and his son, who commanded this)
    2. Love of neighbor.

If we knew our neighbor was in danger, perhaps a danger he didn't recognize, and we knew it was coming, love would motivate us to go to him, whether he listens or not.

Jesus said:
    MARK 13:10
    “Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first.”

We the church are commissioned to go into all of the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

I have a question 94. Since this work is so big, do you think this message with be a divided message, or a conflicting message?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi David,
    So what is the message you bring to the door and what materials do you offer?

charity
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 01 2008,16:56)
    Hi charity,
    Who is your god?
    Just curious

Matthew 3:10
    “The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  

Lk13
    7Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

8And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

9And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

My God has mercy, he leaves a stump Nick!

Dan 4:15  Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and [let] his portion [be] with the beasts in the grass of the earth:

Nick the four testaments are beginning to compare with the last four beasts?

The fourth God-Spill is John?

Dan 7:3   And four great beasts came up from the sea, diverse one from another.
    Dan 7:7 After this I saw in the night visions, and behold a fourth beast, dreadful and terrible, and strong exceedingly; and it had great iron teeth: it devoured and brake in pieces, and stamped the residue with the feet of it: and it [was] diverse from all the beasts that [were] before it; and it had ten horns.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity ,
    So Jesus then plays no part, your faith only hopes in Moses law?

charity
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 01 2008,19:23)
    Hi charity ,
    So Jesus then plays no part, your faith only hopes in Moses law?

Under the whole heaven is the everlasting Kingdom, I believe John Catapulted your Kingdom hence forth into eternity, well see who wins…..The Jesus I go with is the Jesus whom reestablishes the throne of Good judgment after his father King Davids Ideas.

Dan 7:27And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom [is] an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him.

Grace and mercy to “all” men, not divide and conquer

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    Your hatred of John and distrust of the apostles is evident so how will you find this new Jesus?

2Cor11
    4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

We should not preach another Jesus.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account