Numerology in scripture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    bic
    Participant

Unless there is already a thread started, I would like to start a thread discussing the use, importance, and meaning of various numerical values contained within scripture. If one has already been started, please direct me to it.

I'll let someone else begin. Numbers that I know have some significance are 7, 12, 40, 42, 1000, and multiplications of numbers (3 1/2 X 12, 14 X 3, 7 X 7, etc.). I have more questions than answers, so someone else begin, please.

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (bic @ May 08 2005,07:26)
    I have more questions than answers, so someone else begin, please.

How about this for starters, bic.

God is one. :D

Proclaimer
    Participant

Nice one :)

Proclaimer
    Participant

How about 3

God, Jesus and we who are redeemed. Yeshua said “just as I am one with the Father, I pray that they (us) would be one and one with us.

So God, his son and the sons will be one in unity. Unity of the Spirit.

Proclaimer
    Participant

8 is an interesting number.

Apparently if you add up the letters of Jesus name it comes to 888. The number system in the Greek is built into the alphabet. So Alpha = 1, Beta = 2…… Omega = 800.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Maybe this is old hat, but 9 is an interesting in that it is the only number when multiplied by any other will always come back to 9 when you add up the factors of the answer.

Let me explain:

9 x 1 = (9)
    9 x 2 = (18). 18 is made up of 1 & 8. Add 1 & 8 and you get (9).
    9 x 3 = (27). 2+7=(9)
    9 x 4 = (36). 3+6=(9)
    9 x 5 = (45). 4+5=(9)
    9 x 6 = (54). 5+4=(9)
    9 x 7 = (63). 6+3=(9)
    9 x 8 = (72). 7+2=(9)
    9 x 9 = (81). 8+1=(9)
    9 x 10 = (90). 9+0=(9)
    9 x 11 = (99). 9+9=(18) 1+8=(9)
    9 x 12 = (108). 1+0+8=(9)
    …………
    9 x 13812 = (124308) 1+2+4+3+0+8=(18). 1+8=(9).

Pretty cool because it works for any number multiplied by 9.

Cubes
    Participant

Neat stuff, t8. Thanks for sharing it.
    I have heard that prime numbers are on the forefront of breaking insights into God's creation around us. A search on prime numbers is liable to yield some interesting results. There are computers working around the world around the clock to discover the next prime. I don't understand it but it is fascinating. God is so great.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Thanks Cubes,

The last word of the Bible is amen, or amen in its original Greek. The Greek gematria value of amen is 99 (alpha 1, mu 40, eta 8, nu 50). Jesus often said “verily” (which is the same word as “amen”) to express a truth.

It has been suggested by some that the numerical value of this word is significant, given that “amen” is used to seal a prayer or used when Jesus expressed a truth (that supposedly cannot change). Similarly the number '9' doesn't change in the way that I demonstrated in my earlier post. It's kind of like a seal that says this cannot change, or that is final.

I use to teach a computer course and on the last day we (me & the students) went to the pub. I got into a conversation about God with one of the students and he said that God didn't exist. Knowing that design speaks clearly of a designer I went into the fact that we can see that creation is full of mathematics and laws and we only need to ask who was responsible for that. We see DNA code, elements, atomic structures etc. All these can be expressed mathematically and this surely shows a creator or at least a brilliant coder if we want to understate this. I then used an example of cyberspace and how every part of cyberspace was created. Of course he was well aware of that because we created all kinds of stuff in cyberspace in the course. I said to him that we do not for example see web pages creating themselves or AIs evolving. No, every step of the way we see creation from creators. Even programs (viruses) that can write themselves or mutate still needed a creator originally and that mutation is written into the code by the creator.

I then explained to him that it seems more reasonable to think that cyberspace could create itself with no creator than real space creating itself. As real space is far more complex and the odds much greater if we blindly think that it all came about by chance and randomness. Even a simple web page is really just a bunch of code that appears as an image. But would we not be considered mad, if we beleived that cyberspace came about by itself?

I thought about this later and made some observations:

God made man in his 'image'.
    Man makes things in his image (like AI). What man makes in his created space is called 'virtual'.
    In other words God's virtual reality is our reality. He created us and the earth as image types of himself and heaven. Even water is an image of the water of life. When we make worlds using a computer it is said to be virtual. If you take an original and reflect it, you have an image. If you reflect the 'image' you have 'virtual' which is an image of the image. Or to put it another way a simulation of the simulation. Even what we call reality is created and is a simulation of the real, that is Heaven. The point about all this rambling I suppose is that just as virtual cannot create itself, images cannot create themselves either. Our whole universe including us were created/programmed. The design speaks so loudly that we cannot ignore that it was created.

Virtual
    Existing or resulting in essence or effect
    Existing in the mind, especially as a product of the imagination. Used in literary criticism of a text.
    Computer Science. Created, simulated, or carried on by means of a computer or computer network: virtual conversations in a chatroom.

NickHassan
    Participant

For ACC

acertainchap
    Participant

What's for me?

NickHassan
    Participant

dunno.
    But you might have been interested.

acertainchap
    Participant

:D

Proclaimer
    Participant

Why not.

kenrch
    Participant

It's one thing to be a human on earth who's letters in his name happen to add upo to 666, but A person who claims to be the vicar of Christ that is Christ on earth wears a hat with letters that adds up to 666 IMOP is a horse of a different color.

NickHassan
    Participant

For Harmony

NickHassan
    Participant

4Harmony

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    For H

Hanoch
    Participant

Nice thread, pick up a book about this and let us know:

1?
    2?
    3?
    4?
    5=grace (dunno why)
    6=man (man was made on the sixth day)
    7=perfect, whole, mature
    8=new beginnings
    9=?
    10= reponsibility (uncertain why)
    11=?
    12=government (at 12 years of age, the body is accountable, there were 12 patriarchs, 12 apostles, etc.,)

I am interested in that, too, so please check out Barnes and Noble and bring it back to us heh

NickHassan
    Participant

For ED,
    Welcome

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ED,
    Astrologers found the Saviour while the chosen people missed the cues.

However we are the people of the book not the numbers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account