Mormons are Christians

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    Folk who cannot see with spiritual eyes grasp a hold of certain verses that support their doctrines and pointlessly try to defend them against the powerful tide of the bible. Mom and Dad believed these things and they will not be the first in the family to question their tradition.
    Lk 14
    “Luke 14:26
    If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.”

Participant

Quote (Kyle @ Mar. 13 2007,04:59)
    I was baptized when I was about 9.  I was pretty young and quite a different person then, but it was my decision.  The baptism was by full immersion and I recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost right afterwards.

Hi Kyle:

I am just wondering.  Do you know for certain that you received the Holy Ghost as you say, right after you were baptized.

The scripture states “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16) and Acts 2:38 Peter. advising those who had taken part in crucifying Jesus when afterward they believed in response to their qestion,”Now when they heard this (that God had made Jesus whom they had crucified both Lord and Christ), they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the Apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?” (Acts 2:37)), “Repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord and God shall call”. (Acts 2:38-39)

In another scripture after Philllip had instructed a man who had been reading in the book of Isaiah and preached the gospel message to him (Acts 8:26-35), the man believed and when they came upon water where he could be baptized, he wanted to know essentially if he could be baptized, and “Phillip said, if thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest, and he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God”. (Acts 8:37)

And so water baptism does not signify any thing unless you have believed and have come to God with a repentant heart.

On a personal note, I was baptized as an infant and again when I joined a Southern baptist church.  But in either of these baptisms, I did not meet the above criteria.  When I was baptized in the Southern Baptist church, I did so because they required this in order for someone to become a member, but essentially, I went in to the baptismal a dry sinner and came up a wet sinner.  There had not been any change.  

I had been baptized but of course, I did not receive the Holy Ghost.  When you receive the Holy Ghost you know that you have received it because you are a new creation in Christ Jesus.  Your whole life has changed, and you see the whole world from a different perspective.  Before your conversion, you were in darkness, not knowing whether God was a reality and not having a personal relationship with Him, and not knowing exactly what was the whole purpose of your life, and after your conversion, your whole life has meaning. You know that God is a reality, and that His Word is true, because you have received the Holy Spirit who testifies of His Son.  (1 John 5:1-15)

My desire is God's very best for you and your family.

God Bless

Kyle
    Participant

The reason I said I recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost right afterwards is that that's actually a separate ordinance in the LDS church. It's usually given as a blessing with the laying on of hands, typically shortly after baptism (after drying off and changing of course). I honestly don't know if I really did recieve the Holy Ghost or if my baptism “counted” in the eyes of God. Perhaps I'll end up deciding to get baptised again in some kind of setting in the future, but I'm not way too worried about it right now.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    That is like the catholic sacrament idea. They call it confirmation and the bishop comes around and puts his hands on your head. No one expects anything to happen as it did in Acts. But those who laid hands on in Acts were themselves empowered from on high and things did happen. The spirit of God is a Spirit of power. God confirms His servants in signs and in power.

Kyle
    Participant

Exactly. Those in the church believe they do have true priesthood authority from God. I'm not saying they do, but that explains why the laying on of hands and other things involving the priesthood are done.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 19 2007,23:50)

Quote (Kyle @ Mar. 13 2007,04:59)
    I was baptized when I was about 9. I was pretty young and quite a different person then, but it was my decision. The baptism was by full immersion and I recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost right afterwards.

Hi Kyle:

I am just wondering. Do you know for certain that you received the Holy Ghost as you say, right after you were baptized.

The scripture states “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved” (Mark 16:16) and Acts 2:38 Peter. advising those who had taken part in crucifying Jesus when afterward they believed in response to their qestion,”Now when they heard this (that God had made Jesus whom they had crucified both Lord and Christ), they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the Apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?” (Acts 2:37)), “Repent, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord and God shall call”. (Acts 2:38-39)

In another scripture after Philllip had instructed a man who had been reading in the book of Isaiah and preached the gospel message to him (Acts 8:26-35), the man believed and when they came upon water where he could be baptized, he wanted to know essentially if he could be baptized, and “Phillip said, if thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest, and he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God”. (Acts 8:37)

And so water baptism does not signify any thing unless you have believed and have come to God with a repentant heart.

On a personal note, I was baptized as an infant and again when I joined a Southern baptist church. But in either of these baptisms, I did not meet the above criteria. When I was baptized in the Southern Baptist church, I did so because they required this in order for someone to become a member, but essentially, I went in to the baptismal a dry sinner and came up a wet sinner. There had not been any change.

I had been baptized but of course, I did not receive the Holy Ghost. When you receive the Holy Ghost you know that you have received it because you are a new creation in Christ Jesus. Your whole life has changed, and you see the whole world from a different perspective. Before your conversion, you were in darkness, not knowing whether God was a reality and not having a personal relationship with Him, and not knowing exactly what was the whole purpose of your life, and after your conversion, your whole life has meaning. You know that God is a reality, and that His Word is true, because you have received the Holy Spirit who testifies of His Son. (1 John 5:1-15)

My desire is God's very best for you and your family.

God Bless

What a good post.

May God bless you for your wisdom and concern.

:)

david
    Participant

Several denominations within Mormonism (including the largest, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) accept the divinity of Jesus, but believe the three persons of the Trinity to be separate. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints specifically holds that the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are three separate and distinct individuals (D&C 130:22), but can and do act together in perfect unity as a single monotheistic entity (the “Godhead”) for the common purpose of saving mankind, Jesus Christ having received divine investiture of authority from Heavenly Father in the pre-existence.
    –Wikipedia, under “nontrinitarianism”

Tim2
    Participant

Acting together doesn't make them one God. There is only one God. Mormons are not Christians.

david
    Participant

I'm just trying to figure out what the mormons actually believe and there seems a difference between what a mormon on her said and what many encyclopedias say. It's a little grey to me.

Kyle
    Participant

Those encyclopedias confuse me too, because I was never taught any form of a triune god. I would guess that most Mormons would think you were crazy if you accused them of believing that the three members of the Godhead sometimes act together as one “entity”. But I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Doesn't seem like so many credible outside sources would act on false information. So who knows.

david
    Participant

Hi Kyle. I also just recently became aware the the latter day saints are only a group of mormons. I thought the terms were interchangeable.

Are there only the two groups–Mormons and latter day saints who are a branch of mormons?

Kyle
    Participant

Yeah, there are a number of groups that technically fall under the name of “Mormon”. All of them trace their history back to the same roots. The LDS church is by far the largest, and most (but not all) would agree that the others are better classified as splinter groups that peeled off the main church. I don't know all of the names, but they range from normal to crazy Utah fundamentalist groups who practice polygamy to this day.

In almost all cases, the term Mormon refers to the LDS.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    Does being a member of the LDS make one a latter day saint?

Kyle
    Participant

Yep.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    An exclusive club?

Kyle
    Participant

Ha ha. You know it, Nick. Can't get in the door without your card and your secret password 😉

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kyle,
    Is that the door of Christ that others enter by or another one?

Kyle
    Participant

Good question, Nick. Most would say another one, some would say Satan, and about twelve million (relatively very few) would say Christ. So the vast majority of the world would vote that Christ has no part of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but we all know that already.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    I am currently reading a biography of a mormon. Apparently Smith found some magic tablets and magic glasses to read them with, or so they are led to believe. He was a fully fledged Mason and many masonic type rituals still form part of their temple religion. They all must wear special underclothes to ward off demons and must not remove them. Sounds like another emperor wearing no clothes to me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The book says that mormons believe they not only have a Father God but a mother God as, in fact lots of them because God has many wives!! After death there are several options-outer darkness[reserved for ex mormons], telestial afterlife for the pagans-rather like a theme park, terrestrial afterlife for the reasonably good and a celestial option for those who have taken the polygamy thing really seriously. Sex is the big deal then and now as there are many stars to populate.

Ummmm

The book is called ” Learning the saints' by Martha Beck.

Frankly I am starting to think she has hooked into another alternative angelic deception but it is a fun read.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account