Mormons are Christians

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Jill
    Participant

Mormons are Christians, and follow the restored gospel. What's the restored gospel? In the Bible it is mentioned in 2thes 2:3 that the day of Christ shall not come, except there will be a falling away, first. What's this falling away? Its called an appostacy, or where the word and power of God is absent on the earth. The idea is simple. Christ established God's true church on the earth. Man came and killed off the apposals that lived at that time, and began to alter the church to have power themselves. How do we know that this occured?

So after christ, what church was created? There were two churches (basically). One centraly organized (the catholic church), and a loose conglomeration of churches, with no apposles, saints, or elders (the orthodox church). The catholic church is the cause of many attrocities, including the inquisition, the crusades, and even recently appologized for their help during the hallucaust. This is the falling away that Paul prophisizes about in 2 theselonians. How do we know this is not the acts of God's true church? Matt 7:16 says by their fruits ye shall know them. In other words, the fruit of a good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and vise versa.

So, what then? If God's church has fallen away, where's his church? That's where the restoration occurs. We learn in Isaiah (which Christ quoted quite often), that a restoration would occur. Isaiah even speaks of the manner of the restoration in chap 29:10-12.

Isa 29:10-12
    10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

Isaiah is very very symbolic in all his writings (poetic like). In what I have quoted here, he speaks of a deep sleep (the appostacy). He speaks of a book which is sealed (he is being literal here). And he speaks of a non learned man asking him to read it (Joseph Smith)…

In the early 1800s, a boy named Joseph Smith was living in New England. There were many churches in his area who were all saying they were God's true church and that the others were not the correct. He wanted to know what was the true church. He was reading his Bible one night (as his family did often), and he read James 1:5

Jam1:5

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

So, with this burning in his spirit, he went out to a grove behind his house, knelt on his knees, and verbally prayed to God asking what was God's true church. The next few minutes of his life would be a world changing event: Joseph Smith said this….I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

God and Jesus Christ decended upon Joseph Smith and spoke to him, telling him to join none of the churches of his day, as none of them were the church of God. Christ and others within the old Church came to Joseph over the next few years, telling him about how he would bring about the restored church of God, restoring the priesthood to the earth (which was loss when the apossals were killed off).

Mormons believe that their church is The Church of God. It is founded upon apposals, saints, elders, with Christ being the key cornerstone. Joseph Smith was a prophet. To this day, we have a standing prophet in our church (currently Gordon B Hinckley), 12 apposals, a quarum of the 70, exactly how Christ setup his church.

There is much much more to our church, including addtional scripture (the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covanents, Pearl of Great Price, etc etc), but my post is getting extremely long….

Comments?

epistemaniac
    Participant

just that you don't believe in a Trinity after all, you believe that there are and will be literally millions of gods….. and that Mormonism is guilty of the most heinous act of engaging in double talk, taking Christian words and phrases and then redefining them with out being open and honest that they have done so….. thus, by speaking “Christianese” their missionaries (who may themselves be unaware of all of Mormonism's doctrines) either intentionally or unintentionally lead others astray.

for instance, the head apostle of Morminism, Brigham Young taught that Adam (from the garden) is the one who impregnated Mary and that Adam is the god of this world…. since Young was supposed to be not only a prophet…

as THE prophet for the Mormon church, either his teaching was true or false… if it was true, then Mormonism is definetely a polytheistic religion, and not “Christian” in any sense, if it is not true, then how can Mormons put thier faith in Young, that he was a true prophet? If he was wrong about this, then why trust anything he said? Further, if he was wrong, that makes him a false prophet. Young said:

““Now hear it, O inhabitants of the earth, Jew and Gentile, Saint and sinner! When our father Adam came into the garden of Eden, he came into it with a celestial body, and brought Eve, one of his wives, with him. He helped to make and organize this world. He is MICHAEL, the Archangel, the ANCIENT OF DAYS! about whom holy men have written and spoken—HE is our FATHER and our GOD, and the only God with whom WE have to do… “When the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost.” (Later on he continues), “What a learned idea! Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven.”

totally unacceptable teachings that place Mormonism in the same class (a cult) as the JW's…

blessings

epistemaniac
    Participant

Jill, lets put it this way… let me ask you 3 questions about your religion….

1. How many gods are there?

2. Was the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross sufficient to atone for all our sins?

3. Was Jesus born of a virgin?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi ,
    A fine myth surrounding a false teacher who added to scripture. Abhor his way.

NickHassan
    Participant

ps,
    I have read the book of Mormon,
    What struck me was the lack of harmony and flowing order that we find in the true Word of God. Instead there is a chaos of disorder and confusion.
    Then you strangely come across some beautiful words, till you realise they are directly copied into the book from Ezekiel I think.
    You can fool some of the people all the time and
    all of the people some of the time but surely not
    all the mormons all the time?

Surely God must have His people hidden there too that he is calling out?

david
    Participant

Mormons are Christians, and follow the restored gospel. What's the restored gospel?

Hi Jill. Restored gospel? Just to be clear, “gospel” is just a word that means “good news.” It usually refers to the writings of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, because their writings contain many references to the good news of the kingdom, the good news of the Christ, the good news of ….
    So I was confused when you mentioned a “restored gospel” as though what they said had to be restored.
    After giving this statement, you then went on to try to explain. You pointed to 2 Thess 2:3, and then began speaking about a restoration of true worship.
    And yes, there was to be an apostasy, a falling away, and there would have to be a restoration of true worship. But nothing you say and nothing the Bible writers say gives any hint at a restored gospel.

GALATIANS 1:8-9
    “However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to YOU as good news something beyond what we declared to YOU as good news, let him be accursed. As we have said above, I also now say again, Whoever it is that is declaring to YOU as good news something beyond what YOU accepted, let him be accursed.”

Yet, it is my understanding that the mormons teach many new doctrines. (Adam a superior person, immmortal soul, polygamy, new revelations, baptism of the dead, etc.)

There should be no contradictions between these other books you mentioned and the Bible, if these other books are used to establish the truth of the Bible (see Nephi 13:24,28,39,40)

Yet, I see many contradictions. And, I realize that people often accuse the Bible of having contradictions when just a little more knowledge would crumble that belief. So, if I am wrong, let me understand. And while I used to study with mormons, I really don't know too much about what they believe.

Book of Mormon says: “…the soul could never die.” (Alma 42:9)
    Bible says: “The soul that is sinning…it itself will die.” (ez 18:4,20; ps 78:50)

Doctine and Covenants: “He that keepeth the laws of God hath no need to break the laws of the land.” (58:21)
    Bible: “We must obey God as ruler rather than men.” (acts 5:29; 4:19,20)
    Of course, the Bible does tell us to obey the authorities, but when their is a conflict and we can only obey one (as does sometimes happen–for instance, the government telling a religion that it is no longer allowed to talk to other people about the good news) then we must choose to obey God rather than men.

Pearl of Great Price: (page 48) “Joseph Smith claims to have seen God and Jesus Christ”
    Bible: “…no man may see God and live. (Ex 33:20; 1 John 4:12)

Book of mormon says Jesus was born in Jerusalem. (alma 7:10)
    Bible says Jesus was born in Bethlehem. (Mat 2:1-6; micah 5:2)

There are others. But I think this is enough to get started. If I am wrong or not understanding in these things, please explain.

david

Oxy
    Participant

I had some Mormons knock on my door one day. I had nothing better to do at the time so I invited them in. They went through their whole speel and there were a number of times when I had to bite my tongue because they contradicted Scripture a number of times. Anyway, I let them talk until they had finished talking. I then said to them that I believed in God and asked them what I had to do to be saved. They couldn't answer me, so I made them sit there and listen to the gospel.

From my experience with quite a number of Mormons, they have no idea about salvation, nor do they have a personal relationship with God. They can be persuaded with the gospel if you get them alone, but otherwise it's a pretty tough task.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Paul said this in 1Cor 15
    ” 29Otherwise, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why then are they baptized for them? “
    The mormons 'baptise'their dead ancestors.
    What do others think of this?

Sorry Jill, your assumptions are completely absurd. Although you have some truth in your post as pertaining to what the catholic church did, you do not understand what they did. And if you don't understand what they did, how can you claim to know who has the answers to the problems created by the catholic church. I have spoken with men of your religion and when it comes to the Word of God they left my house knowing that their religion is not the one that has the answers.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi H,
    Myths and legends remain more popular than truth.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Doctrines of demons are also incredibly popular with those who do noy seek the truth with all their heart.

Casey S Smith 29
    Participant

“Protestants, however should be quick to question any such notion of absolute religious certainty, The concept of the individual's responsibility before God is deeply ingrained in Protestant theology. We cannot say “the pope told me to do that” or “the prophet instructed me to believe that doctrine.” God hold us individually responsible for our beliefs and actions. This was one of the great scandals of the Reformation: the idea of the plowman and the merchant carrying and reading the Bible was unthinkable to the medeival Catholic theoligan. How could the layman understand religious things without asking the priest?”
    “Many people fulfill their their longing for 'certainty' in religious matters by swearing allegiance to a particular leader or system. For example Roman Catholics find the idea of an infallible pope very 'comforting,' for when things get confusing they always have a source of certainty and absolute authority to turn to. In a similar many Mormons look to the Prophet and the Apostles in Salt Lake City, and Jehovah's Witnesses look tothe Governing Body in Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.” – James R White, King James Only Controversy pg 94 paragraph's one and two.

Well, that pretty much says it all I would have to say…Casey Sean Smith

Anonymous
    Inactive

A number of years back, I read the book of Mormans about two thirds the way through. If I remember correctly there were two families who came out of Israel and wondered in the wilderness for eight years. They were instructed to build a boat and eventually traveled to what is now North America.

If these families were out of Israel, seems they would still be keeping the Sabbath. Instead the Mormans keep the first day, which was introduced during the fourth century. Also xmas is celebrated and this was originally a pagan holiday, which has become a man made holyday. The story is told the same way denominations of today present it.

Looks as though some morman traditions came out of the many divisions of Christanity we see today. Just another division adding to the confusion of where is the Ekklesia.

Is the word church an accurate synonym of the Body of Christ?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi and welcome,
    Ekklesia means those who are called out.
    We are taken from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of light.

Col 1
    ” 12Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:'

We are enjoined with the body of Christ through faith, repentance and baptism in water and the Spirit.

There are those who believe that believers includes all who ascribe in one way or another to belief in God and His Son. I am not among them. The way is narrow and few choose it. There are many still in the courtyard of the temple and their fate is with the unbelievers.

Rev 11
    ” 1And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

2But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.”

david
    Participant

Are there any mormons on this thread who could perhaps answer questions?

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Phoenix
    Participant

hmm where's Jill?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Perhaps Jill, June, Dorothy, Amilia and Elizabeth went to ask their husband about this.

NickHassan
    Participant

ho ho

Participant

Hi Jill and any Mormon that may visit this site:

I have written to the elders of the Mormon church telling them that my understanding of the scriptures was different than theirs and asking for discussion so that we could, if possible, come into unity, and they did not respond.

The very fact that you mention that Joseph Smith say two personages, One of them God and the other His Son Jesus should immediately tell you that his testimony can not be true.  God is invisible. (Col. 1:15, 1 Ti 1:17, Heb. 11:27)

I would urge you to try their doctrines against the biblical scriptures.

My point is not to condemn you but to call you out of this deception.  It looks like the real thing but it is not.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 162 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account