LORD Lord and lord

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

I couldn't find a topic that deals with this subject. If there is one, let me know and I will close this one down.

Proclaimer
    Participant

What is the difference between LORD, Lord, and lord.

Many people trip over these differences. For example, YHWH is translated LORD and we know that Jesus is called Lord. So people think that this all means that Jesus is God. This is a misconception.

Due to time restraints I am not going to put this in my own words but will quote part of a web page. This is not my endorsement of this site, as I have not looked at everything on there. It could be good, it may not be. The next post will contain the quote. After this, it might be useful to discuss any confusion caused by this, or expose false teachings that base their understanding on there being no difference between these words.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Predominantly, the King James Version of the Old Testament translates three different Hebrew words as lord; however, it does so with a careful use of upper case letters to let the reader know which word is in the original texts. When the King James Version translates the Hebrew word for Jehovah as lord, it uses LORD in all capitals. When the King James Version translates the a special Hebrew word for supreme lord, adownai, as lord, it uses Lord with only the “L” in the upper case. Lastly, when the King James Versions  translation of the general Hebrew word for lord, adown, as lord, it does so without any use a capital letter at all.

In the New Testament Greek there is, basically, only one Greek word translated  lord. This is the Greek word kurios. The King James Version translated this as either Lord, lord, or sir. (There are only four verses where the KJV translated kurios as LORD: Matthew 22:44, Mark 12:36, Luke 20:42, Acts 2:34).  

This information begs certain further questions:

If there is only one word in the Greek texts for Lord, how does the student of God’s Word know when kurios stands for God’s Old Testament title as the God of Covenant and when kurios is that part of the Messiah’s title that attributes to him his dominion as Lord of Lords and King of Kings?
    Since God is not the author of confusion (I Corinthians 14:33), how did it come to pass that there are fewer words in the language of the New Testament Greek for Lord than there were in Hebrew?

http://kurios.homestead.com/

Pastry
    Participant

t8  In the Old Testament it is LORD which stands for Jehovah God.  And Lord is Jesus always.  In our Rye Study Bible in the footnotes it says that LORD in all capital letters is Jehovah God one person our Heavenly Fathers name. The translators used LORD because they didn't want to take Gods name in vain.  The unity spoken of in Scriptures means that Jesus and All born again Christians are one in their believes.  I asked:” Are all born again Christians then Jehovah God also?”  I don't think so.  Kathi is wrong.  There are several Scriptures that will teach us that LORD or Jehovah God is one….
    Psa 83:18   That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.  

Psa 68:4   Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name Jehovah, and rejoice before him.  

Psa 97:9   For thou, Jehovah, [art] high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.  

Unfortunately most Bibles say LORD, or God…. It is no wonder that they think God is His name, while God is a title….

Peace and Love Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Irene,

In our Rye Study Bible in the footnotes it says that LORD in all capital letters is Jehovah God one person our Heavenly Fathers name.

Do you mean 'Ryrie' Study Bible? I don't see that footnote. Which verse is that footnote referencing. I found, in my Ryrie Study Bible the note about Genesis 2:4 when Jehovah is first mentioned, the note says:
    “YHWH (probably pronounced “Yahweh”), the most significant name for God in the O.T. It has a twofold meaning; the active, self-existent One (since the word is connected with the verb meaning “to be,” Exod. 3:14); and Israel's Redeemer (Exodus 6:6). The name occcurs 6,823 times in the O.T. and is especially associated with God's holiness (Lev. 11:44-45), His hatred of sin (Gen. 6:3-7), and His gracious provision of redemption (Isa. 53:1, 5, 6, 10).

I don't see anything there that says Yahweh (Jehovah) is the name of our Heavenly Father or that Jehovah God is one person. Can you tell me where that footnote is? I don't think you will find it…please show me or adjust your thinking of what Ryrie says.

Thanks,
    Kathi

Lightenup
    Participant

t8,
    This is a good topic and I may keep my conversations here for a while so that I am not jumping around trying to keep up with those asking me questions. I am getting rather busy with planning a bridal shower, starting a new school year and designing a big kitchen for a client…soooo I need to limit my time on HN. Hope you understand.

With the understanding that:
    LORD stands for Jehovah
    Lord stands for the supreme Lord (adownai)
    lord stands for the general term lord, applied to God and man at various times,

Read this verse that tells us who the LORD is:
    Deut 10:17 “For theLORD your God is theGod of gods and theLord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality nor take a bribe.

The equation that I gave you on the 'Adam' thread would look like this:

the LORD our God = God of gods + Lord of lords

Jesus is the mighty God who is the most high Lord (adownai), as the Lord of lords, who is a member of the unity named 'LORD our God.'

The Father is the mighty God who is the most high God, as God of gods, and who is a member of the unity named Jehovah (LORD), our God.

Both the Father and the Son are mighty Gods by nature and together make up the unity called “Jehovah (LORD), our God.”

The Father, as a mighty God by nature, is the God of gods by position within the unity called Jehovah (LORD), our God.

The Son, as a mighty God by nature, is the Lord of lords by position within the unity called Jehovah (LORD), our God.

The Son is the spokesperson and represents the unity named Jehovah when the Bible says that Jehovah is speaking or appearing directly to man, imo.

This is my understanding, feel free to test it.
    Kathi

Lightenup
    Participant

To all,

If I have outstanding questions that are related to this topic, please put them here and I will get to them, Lord willing. I am going to focus on this thread for now since I am getting sorta busy. Thanks!

Kathi

terraricca
    Participant

Kathi

the LORD our God = God of gods + Lord of lords

the Lord our God = this is possessive to me

God of gods = is demonstrative over all others

Lord of lords = is identification of level in position

so it is nothing like you say ,

Pierre

Pastry
    Participant

Yes, Kathi, it is the Ryrie of the King James Version.  But whatever it says there, does not take away from all other Scriptures in Psalms.  
    Psa 83:18   That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.  
    Kathi, here it says it is the most high Gods name.  And who is the most high, it is our Heavenly Father, is it not? WHOSE NAME ALONE….
    So your theory that it is also Jesus is not according to Scriptures.

Psa 68:4   Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JEHOVAH, and rejoice before him.  

And here too, HIS NAME…..

Also most Bibles it is not written Jehovah God, but LORD in all capital letters like in these Scriptures
    Psa 97:1 ¶ The LORD reigneth; let the earth rejoice; let the multitude of isles be glad [thereof].

Psa 97:9   For thou, LORD, [art] high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.  

While in the James Moffatt Version it says this
    Let the Eternal reign!  Let earth rejoice, etc.

In my previous post I got Psalms 97:4 from a post that Mike made….that is why it says Jehovah God which LORD stands for….

You cant get away with not seeing in Scriptures that Jehovah is Gods name ALONE…

Peace and Love Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Irene,
    If you are going to make a statement about what Ryrie says, it should be accurate.  Btw, your verses in Psalms do not have the word “Father” in it.

I know that the Father is the Most High God as God of gods.  The unity of the Father and the Son would be the most high God AND Lord.  So, Jehovah (the unity) would be the most high…the most high God as God and Lord.  The Father would be the most high…God as God of gods.  The Son would be the most high…God as Lord of lords.  It was the most high as the God of gods, the Father who was the Father of the most high God as Lord of lords, the Son.

So, here we have three different senses of the most high:
    Jehovah as the most high God AND Lord unity.
    Father as the most high God as God of gods.
    Son as the most high God as Lord of lords.

Context often helps determine which 'most high' is meant.

Your friend,
    Kathi

Lightenup
    Participant

Pierre,
    What you put up doesn't disagree with what I have said.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 03 2011,14:20)
    Pierre,
    What you put up doesn't disagree with what I have said.

Kathi

but it does because it only talked about one God being over all other gods

and one LORD being over all other lords

not double gods or lords

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Pierre,
    The Father is one God.
    The Son is one Lord.
    Together they make Jehovah our God…one unity.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 03 2011,18:15)
    Pierre,
    The Father is one God.
    The Son is one Lord.

Kathi

I see what you write I understand what you are saying but what I do not see and understand is that all that is not in scriptures,

and that is my problem ,

pierre

Pastry
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 03 2011,11:15)
    Pierre,
    The Father is one God.
    The Son is one Lord.

Kathi! Again, and again you have no Scripture to support that theory…..
    Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Irene,
    you say:

you have no Scripture to support that theory…..

You have seen the scripture, written the scripture, recited the scripture, pointed others to the scripture, yet you do not understand the scripture…six simple words:

John 10:30 “I and the Father are one.”

One unity, not one being, not one person…but one unity. Just as we are to be…one unity. We are to be one unity as they are. The church is one, Jehovah is one.

Kathi

Pastry
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 04 2011,00:26)
    Irene,
    you say:

you have no Scripture to support that theory…..

You have seen the scripture, written the scripture, recited the scripture, pointed others to the scripture, yet you do not understand the scripture…six simple words:

John 10:30 “I and the Father are one.”

One unity, not one being, not one person…but one unity.  Just as we are to be…one unity.  We are to be one unity as they are.  The church is one, Jehovah is one.

Kathi

Kathi!  For the last time, just because the Scriptures says I and the Father are one, does not make them the same person Jehovah……or the same name….. We are one in the believe also, does that make us the same  Jehovah?  i don't think so….. There is not a Scripture that says JESUS IS JEHOVAH….  But I have given you the Scriptures over and over again that Jehovah is ALONE  God's name, the most high above the earth….

Psa 83:18   That [men] may know that thou, whose name ALLONE [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

Psa 68:4   Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name Jehovah, and rejoice before him.  

Notice that it says HIS name and not THEIR name likeyouweant it to say….

ALONE, THE MOST HIGH OVER ALL.

AND what about this Scripture in

Eph 4:6   One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all.  

Our Heavenly Father is above all and His name ALONE is Jehovah……That is what Scriptures say…..

And since we also are one with the Father and Jesus, does that make us now Jehovah also?  I don;t think so……
    Get with it….

One unity is not Jehovah, that is Gods name?  You know what, YOU are talking Gods name in vain by making that name other then the God of the most high…
    Making it what it is not………..His name alone, alone.  Alone means one person and not two or three…..unity is not Jehovah…Period…

Peace and Love Irene

terraricca
    Participant

Irene

Kathi does not believe that Christ was created ,and so deny scriptures

Pierre

Pastry
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Aug. 04 2011,04:38)
    Irene

Kathi does not believe that Christ was created ,and so deny scriptures

Pierre

Hi Pierre! Kathi believes that Jesus always existed in the mind of Hos Father… Wrong….He existed as a Spirit Being before He became a man, I know, but She doesn't…..Peace and Love to you and yours Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Irene,

Kathi believes that Jesus always existed in the mind of Hos Father.

Where have I ever said that?  

Please stop it Irene, you ought not to be making judgements and claims like you have been.

Just in the last few days you said:
    The church is never called a 'she' but the church is.

Because nobody calls the Church a He or a She do they?

from here: https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….;st=250

You said that your Ryrie Study Bible says this:

In our Rye Study Bible in the footnotes it says that LORD in all capital letters is Jehovah God one person our Heavenly Fathers name.

But it doesn't.  It says this (the Father is not mentioned here):
    “YHWH (probably pronounced “Yahweh”), the most significant name for God in the O.T.  It has a twofold meaning; the active, self-existent One (since the word is connected with the verb meaning “to be,” Exod. 3:14); and Israel's Redeemer (Exodus 6:6).  The name occcurs 6,823 times in the O.T. and is especially associated with God's holiness (Lev. 11:44-45), His hatred of sin (Gen. 6:3-7), and His gracious provision of redemption (Isa. 53:1, 5, 6, 10).

You have said this on this page:

Kathi believes that Jesus always existed in the mind of Hos Father

But I don't.  I believe that the Son always existed in the Father as a Son, not as thought in His mind.

You said this:

You joined the trinitarian bunch

from here: https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….9;st=20
    But I haven't.  I am a Christian, that's it.  Not a trinitarian, not a unitarian, not a binitarian, not a quadritarian…I am a Christian, I am part of the Christian church which has Jesus as the head.  He is not a creature but He and the Father are the creator.

So, time to stop saying what other people say, Irene.  You just quote you, ok?  Let me explain me, ok?

Peace and love and truth…
    Kathi

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account