Logic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 800 total)
  • Author
    acertainchap
    Participant

log·ic /ˈlɒdʒɪk/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[loj-ik] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun 1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
    2. a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
    3. the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
    4. reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
    5. convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.
    6. Computers. logic circuit.

Is 1:18
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 30 2007,11:26)
    To find truth we cannot blinker ourselves with weak human wisdom.
    Neither can we try to understand scripture with just logic but fuirst with other scripture.
    Scripture is of God and thus is bigger and broader and more powerful.
    Commonsense is the aspect of wisdom that even children can understand.
    The gospel is for children.

1. Is logic from God or man?

2. Was Yeshua's and Paul's application of logic to scripture wrong?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    What does scripture say?
    Who said it was wrong to use logic?
    It is just foolish to rate it above revealed truth.

acertainchap
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 30 2007,11:48)
    Hi Is 1.18,
    What does scripture say?

Actually revealed truth and logic can be pretty much even.

If I had to choose though, I would have to say that revealed truth always rules. In a way, you are right.

Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    What does scripture say?

False dichotomy. Logic was the mechanism by which Yeshua and Paul “revealed truth” in scripture to their respective listeners and readers….

acertainchap
    Participant

False dichotomy?

Participant

You did. In the last page you equated it with “weak human wisdom”.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18
    Jesus showed which was more important.
    Lk 4
    ” 17And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”

Jn 8
    ” 47He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God”

Jn 10
    ” 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? “

Jn 17
    “17Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. “

Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ June 30 2007,12:02)
    False dichotomy?

See here:

http://www.coping.org/write/percept/fallacies/content.htm#Non

:)

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 30 2007,12:10)
    Jn 10
    ” 34Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God? “

Jesus was applying a logical argument here….

NH, since it's obvious that Yeshua and the Bible writers frequently applied logic to scripture, don't you think you should be encouraging rather than discouraging people to do likewise? After all the Bible often emplores us to be like Jesus, to follow His example, to do what He does…

I'm going to leave it there.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    Divine wisdom is far above human wisdom

Proverbs 9:10
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
    Proverbs 11:2
    When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.

Divine wisdom is scripture

Luke 11:49
    Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:

Participant

…which takes us back to this question:

Is logic from God or man?

I would also like to know something else. Since Yeshua and Paul used logic (human wisdom, as you see it), should we therefore attribute a low weighting to the statements and points they made?

Participant

Could you also explain to us how logic (i.e. like that which Yeshua employed) has no part in divine wisdom.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 30 2007,13:03)
    Hi Is 1.18,
    Divine wisdom is far above human wisdom

One more question…..

When Yeshua argued logically from scripture, was He using human or divine wisdom?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    Is Christ not truth?
    Is scripture not divine wisdom?
    Are Peter and Paul's words not scripture?
    Luke 11:49
    Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:

Participant

Can I have a straightforward answer please?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    You are asking us to say that the words of Peter and Paul are not the wisdom of God
    and yet they are scripture.
    You would use these words to try and prove human wisdom is equal to scripture?

Participant

You are asking us to say that the words of Peter and Paul are not the wisdom of God and yet they are scripture.

No, I'm specifically asking you. No one else I know shares in the view you have on logic, as it pertains to sciptural interpretation.

You would use these words to try and prove human wisdom is equal to scripture?

In NT scripture Jesus and the Bible writers USE logic. In effect, what you are saying is when they draw on logic in a scriptural argument it's okay, because it's divine wisdom manifesting itself. But if anyone else dares to it's deemed “human wisdom” by you, and is thereby a low grade substitute at best (and invalid at worst). But in reality there is no difference at all, it's still logic. You tie yourself in knots.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    Peter and Paul were inspired by the Spirit of Christ and taught as Christ
    so their use of logic was inspired.
    Natural men cannot claim the same advantage.

Participant

I would have thought that the same Holy Spirit that inspired them leads, guides and inspires us also.

I really would like an answer to this question:

Is logic from God or man?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 800 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account