Kenosis

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

The emptying of the Son of God before coming in flesh.

Participant

Hi:

Phil 2:5
    * Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  
    2:6
    Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  
    2:7
    But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  
    2:8
    And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.  

Strong's Number:   2758  Browse Lexicon  
    Original Word Word Origin
    kenovw from (2756)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Kenoo 3:661,426
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    ken-o'-o      Verb  

Definition
    to empty, make empty
    of Christ, he laid aside equality with or the form of God to make void
    deprive of force, render vain, useless, of no effect to make void
    cause a thing to be seen to be empty, hollow, false  

King James Word Usage – Total: 5
    make void 2, make of none effect 1, make of no reputation 1, be in vain

This scripture has nothing to do with pre-existence.  The Apostle Paul is instructing the church to be humble and using the life of Jesus as an example.  Jesus is God's Son and His Christ, and so God's represtantive speaking with the authority of God.  But he did not let his position in the body of Christ to go to his head so to speak, but he humbled himself and became obedient to God even unto death on the cross.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    So this speaks of only Christ as a man being humble?
    hmmm

Phil2

5Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 10 2008,12:27)
    Hi 94,
    hmmm

Phil2

6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

Hi Nick:

I have given you my understanding. The Apostle Paul is teaching the church about humility not about the pre-existence of the Lord Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    When you tell us you have given us your understanding,
    as you do quite often,
    then it seems that you are saying that
    you cannot change that understanding very easily.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 10 2008,13:12)
    Hi 94,
    When you tell us you have given us your understanding,
    as you do quite often,
    then it seems that you are saying that
    you cannot change that understanding very easily.

I can if you can show me by the scriptures that what you are teaching is correct.

Participant

Hi Nick:

The KJV says:

Phil 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

This says “being in the form of God” that is present tense.

NIV states:

Phil 2:6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

This is also present tense.

If you say that it should read, “he existed in the form of God”, and want to use this as a scripture to support the pre-existence of the Lord, you are actually saying that at one point there were two Gods.
    If God is God, and I know that there is only one God, and Jesus pre-existed his virgin birth in the “form of God” then there were two Gods.  No, no way that I will believe this.  

There was, and is, and will always be only ONE GOD.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    At one stage there were many more than two called gods.
    But for us there is One God the Father.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Mar. 10 2008,13:47)
    Hi Nick:

The KJV says:

Phil 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

This says “being in the form of God” that is present tense.

NIV states:

Phil 2:6 Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,

This is also present tense.

If you say that it should read, “he existed in the form of God”, and want to use this as a scripture to support the pre-existence of the Lord, you are actually saying that at one point there were two Gods.
    If God is God, and I know that there is only one God, and Jesus pre-existed his virgin birth in the “form of God” then there were two Gods.  No, no way that I will believe this.  

There was, and is, and will always be only ONE GOD.

Hi 94,

BEING
    Number 5225
    Transliteration:
    huparcho {hoop-ar'-kho}
    Word Origin:
    from 5259 and 756
    Part of Speech:
    verb
    Usage in the KJV:
    be 42, have 2, live 1, after 1, not tr 2

Total: 48
    Definition:
    to begin below, to make a beginning
    to begin
    to come forth, hence to be there, be ready, be at hand
    to be

So he began in the form of God?

Participant

Hi Nick:

Below is what you stated and the scripture that you quoted:

Hi 94,
    hmmm

Phil2

That says “form of God” with a big “G”.

Below is what Jesus stated:

10:34
    Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?  
    10:35
    If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot * be broken;  
    10:36
    Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world *, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?  

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    Is there a form of “god” or should that not be “a god” or “gods” if you read it that way?

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 10 2008,15:18)
    Hi 94,
    Is there a form of “god” or should that not be “a god” or “gods” if you read it that way?

Hi Nick:

It should read “being in the form of God”, but in the present tense as I have given you scripture from the KJV and the NIV.

He is the Son of the living God and His Christ and speaks with the authority that God has given him as God's representative to humanity.

When I give you my understanding, then that is the way I understand the scriptures.  I didn't say that I was right, but I believe that I am otherwise I would not be teaching what I am teaching.

It seems to me that you are speaking out of both sides of your mouth.  On the one hand you rightly teach the Trinitarians that there is only “One God” and Jesus is the Son of God and not God, and on the other hand you try to convince those on this forum that Jesus pre-existed his virgin birth in the “form of God”.  If that is your understanding, then teach what you believe to be the truth.  I believe that Jesus was foreordained, and I have a scripture to support what I believe, and so unless you can show me a scripture which states that Jesus pre-existed his birth into this world then I will have to stick to what I believe to be the truth.

What really matters to me is that I know that he does exist because the Spirit of God my Father dwelling within me testifies to that reality, and I know that the testimony of God regarding His Son and His Christ is true.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    I have no problem with the Monogenes Son being a Godlike being, given that he was begotten of God alone.

Samuel
    Participant

I'm completely confused.

Philippians 2: 5-7 pretty much debunks a certain doctrine. Actually that whole chapter.

Among other scriptures.

Basicly from what I understand from reading this scripture is that Jesus did in fact Exist before being born. And was equal with GOD. That he stripped him self from being equal with GOD and became a man incarnate in the flesh. Then submitted himself unto death. Was raised from death and restored to his former glory.

Which is why we can be forgiven of our sins today. PRAISE GOD!

If that don't make you shout, I don't know what will.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Samuel,
    KJV is a poor look at this verse.
    Other versions show that he did not have equality with God and wisely chose not to seek it.
    His later glory is greater than what he left behind.

acertainchap
    Participant

Quote (Samuel @ Mar. 10 2008,18:07)

Yet some don't feel the need to shout, seeing they are humble and silent before God. They ask and seek His counsel, and giving glory to His Name without feeling the need to shout it out in front of others but instead as a personal motivation.

Quote (Samuel @ Mar. 10 2008,18:07)
    I'm completely confused.

Philippians 2: 5-7 pretty much debunks a certain doctrine.  Actually that whole chapter.

Among other scriptures.

Basicly from what I understand from reading this scripture is that Jesus did in fact Exist before being born.  And was equal with GOD.  That he stripped him self from being equal with GOD and became a man incarnate in the flesh.  Then submitted himself unto death.  Was raised from death and restored to his former glory.

Which is why we can be forgiven of our sins today.  PRAISE GOD!

Yes, understanding that Jesus preexsisted is certainley something to shout about. Glory to God on High. Thank you for the understanding that you have given us through Your Holy Spirit.

Peace and Love Mrs.

Samuel
    Participant

I am sorry if my shouting statement offended anyone.

Please forgive me.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account