Jesus IS the MESSIAH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 457 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Mar. 14 2008,07:04)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,13:07)
    Hi KJ,
    If scripture contains truth about God then it is all truth
    or we are faced with the dilemma as to who decides which parts are useful?
    Are we now more intelligent and better educated and thus in some way wiser than the people of the bible?

So if someone tells you truth they can never lie? Or maybe be telling something that is only true to them while not necessarily being absolutely true?

For instance, a wife might honestly believe and tell everyone that her husband is a faithful man but the truth may be that he cheats on her. To her knowledge, his faithfulness is true.

More intelligent than those in the bible? I dunno, did they take IQ tests? I will say I am certainly more educated than many of the characters of the bible, including Peter was was a simple fisherman. Most fishermen in the 1st century could not read or write (nor needed to), so education was not a strongpoint for them.

And you just accept their “wisdom” because the bible says they are wise.

“Jesus loves me, this I know”

How?

“For the bible tells me so”.

Not every word written is the whole truth.

Hi KJ,
    Someone else said
    ” What is truth?”
    He was of the world.

kejonn
    Participant

The easiest doublet to read is the different creation stories in Genesis 1 & 2. If you'll look closely, they are similar but there are differences that would not arise if the author was the same person. For instance, God is called “Elohim” in Gen 1, and never “Yahweh”. In Gen 2, “Yahweh” shows up. Not so big in and of itself, but in Gen 1, man is created last, but in Gen 2, man is created before the plants and animals. Why the need to retell the same basic story but in a different order?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Can you discard some of it?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,14:42)
    Hi KJ,
    Someone else said
    ” What is truth?”
    He was of the world.

And the one who was “not of the world” had no answer. How ironic.

Mandy
    Participant

If the bible is so obviously flawed, why do you think intelligent men have looked to it for salvation for millennia?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,14:49)
    Hi KJ,
    Can you discard some of it?

Hi Nick,

Do you have a revolving pool of responses? I've seen variations of this one several times from you.

The answer is “yes”. If I don't, then my view of God is that He is spiteful, bigoted, sexist, ruthless, quick to anger, vengeful, bloodthirsty, and loves the smell of a good beef cookout.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    The question itself reveals faithlessness.
    You cannot add knowledge to doubt.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Mar. 13 2008,14:50)
    If the bible is so obviously flawed, why do you think intelligent men have looked to it for salvation for millennia?

One word: fear. Same reason that Islam is outpacing Christianity in rate of growth.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Indeed the wider path is far more popular.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,14:52)
    Hi KJ,
    The question itself reveals faithlessness.
    You cannot add knowledge to doubt.

But there is a humongous difference between you and I Nick: I have faith in a living God, you have faith in a book written about God from a prehistoric Jewish context.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,14:55)
    Hi KJ,
    Indeed the wider path is far more popular.

Yes, fear is not a popular path. Love is much wider and worthwhile.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Yes you are incredibly advantaged.
    No need for any boundaries for such amorphous faith.
    You can build your own user friendly religion and it will be a sellout

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Mar. 14 2008,07:54)

One word: fear. Same reason that Islam is outpacing Christianity in rate of growth.

Do you still have holy fear, Kevin?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Mar. 13 2008,14:59)

Quote (kejonn @ Mar. 14 2008,07:54)

Do you still have holy fear, Kevin?

Can anyone reasonably define holy fear? I would much rather use a word that is more apt to the divine Creator of all: awe. Fear is not a good word to relate to God with.

God is not some angry entity wating to carry out divine wrath and retribution. Can we honestly do anything to hurt the one who created the universe?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 13 2008,14:58)
    Hi KJ,
    Yes you are incredibly advantaged.
    No need for any boundaries for such amorphous faith.
    You can build your own user friendly religion and it will be a sellout

It would never become popular Nick. No promises of eternal bliss for believing in some figure long ago, or threats of burning for not doing so. No talk of “convert or die” either.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj,
    So neither here nor there?
    Nothing?

kejonn
    Participant

Well, if you consider peace, love, joy and happiness nothing, I suppose so.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Those gifts come through Life in Christ Jesus, the Son of God.
    You cannot offer anyone anything.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi mandy,
    Philip was an anointed man of God.
    He explained the gospel of Christ to the eunuch.

Acts 8
    27And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,

28Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.

29Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

36And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

37And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

39And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

The eunuch believed and obeyed.

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Mar. 14 2008,07:35)
     So, somehow I'm not surprised that way back then a women would have to marry a rapist.  

Hi Mandy,
    But would you be surprised that it was God that said she had to marry the rapist? And pay her father 50 schekles.

Most of the bad ways that women were treated was directly related to what moses said that God wanted.
    God said that women were too unclean to go in the temple during the seven days of their period. They were also too unclean for seven days after that. Good grief, they were unclean for half of their life according to God.

Tim

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 457 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account