Jesus: god the son or son of god?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 358 total)
  • Author
    gollamudi
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ May 30 2009,04:20)
    Hi all,

Interesting thread here….

When speaking of Jesus' nature – don't forget Mary!  She did a lot more than just contribute skin.  :;):

Jesus was the Son of God, and the son of Man.  Scripture doesn't break it down into what parts were what.  We are told that Jesus had the nature of God – but we are not told he had 100% of the nature of God (we just assume this – our minds fill in what is not being said).  It stands to reason that if Jesus is also the son of Man……he shares that nature as well.

Prior to being born of Mary, we can only speculate as to the “son” of God who became Jesus.  In my opinion, there is not much to go on.  We certainly can weave our own theories (and good ones at that!), but they are only theories.  We are told that Jesus, the Son of God, was born to Mary, a women under the Law.  She CONCEIVED and gave birth to this child.

Truth is found in the basics.
    Remember….they were fisherman.

Much love to you guys – I continue to be blessed by all these discussions that are carried out so lovingly.  It seems like lately, every time I check in (which is here and there), I am encouraged by the amount of patience and love being shown to one another.

Press on towards the goal!
    Mandy

Hi Sis Mandy,
    Of course it is another interesting thread as you rightly said. I know you always love such threads only (like conception, preexistence etc).

Coming to subject, Jesus being the son of God; as per our N.T the earliest writer Paul says he was the son of David according to flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead (Rom 1:1-4). I believe this is the point in history that church started viewing Jesus' origins as son of God.

Next comes Gospel of Mark who said that Jesus was declared as son of God not at resurrection but at his Baptism in Jordan when he was filled by the Spirit of God.

Thirdly Gospel of Matthew and Luke further gone back and declared that Jesus was called son of God even at his conception in Mary when she was overshadowed by the Holy Spirit.

Ps 2:7 says God called the Jewish Messiah as His son. In fact this will be fulfilled in future when Jesus fulfills the prophecy about coming Messiah and sit as king of kings on throne of his father David in Jerusalem in the millennial kingdom.

After seeing these verses in our Bible don't you think that the Gospels were written by the authors based on their convictions on the Jewish scriptures especially the infant narrations of Jesus in both Matthew and Luke?

If you want to believe in the literal virgin birth of Jesus you are free to believe it as long as you say that Jesus was conceived by Mary through the creative agency of the Holy Spirit, the same Holy Spirit or Spirit of God was there in the beginning brooding over the waters in the beginning which was the creative action of our God.

Yes as you rightly said Mary was the contributing factor for Jesus human nature therefore he was called as “born of woman” by Paul. He shared our weak flesh nature in all respects. Therefore he was also tempted by sin but never sinned because God was with him fully and he trusted God fully in all those temptations.

Jesus is the human face of God as per J.A.T Robinson and he functioned as God for us being 100% man. He is not from any other stock than human beings. He is the vice-regent of God and immanace of God to us not transcendent as often believed by trinitarians. He is not the hypostasis(person) of God but a complete man who allowed God to function fully in him. He is the beloved son of a father who could boldly say God is my father. Hope you will appreciate my arguemts on Jesus being the son of God.

Love and peace to you
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Can you not align these verses?
    What changed?

Did you listen to those who are determined to undermine the faith of others as theirs proved inadequate?

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi brother Nick,
    Sorry, I am not here to undermine the faith of others, in fact I am strengthening it by telling them to see scriptures though Jewish eyes.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    In what way do those who did not recognise the messiah contribute wisdom that surrounds that vital truth?

gollamudi
    Participant

I mean the Jewish christians of first century not the Jewish authorities who denied Jesus as Messiah.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Then why do you come back with what you think are inconsistencies in the sacred words?
    We hear enough of that approach from unbelievers.
    Patience and wisdom will come.

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi brother Nick,
    I do know you are aware of the inconsistences of our N.T even then why do you want to conceal them?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Inconsistencies,
    Interview 4 people who saw a car accident and see how much the accounts differ.

The extraordinary consistency is one of the strongest evidences that the Holy spirit wrote it through ignorant fishermen and a taxman.
    Men try to judge it with their weak intellects and cannot encompass how each version adds and brings into focus the whole picture.

Cindy
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ May 31 2009,09:17)
    So, Irene, when Georg says “You're too much” what exactly is that supposed to mean? ???

Love,
    Kathi

Hey I don't kniow, you have to ask Him. In the beginning the Word was brought forth from the Father. How that was done, Scripture really doesn't say that.
    When He became a Man He was born of course like us. We all agree on that.
    Nice debate, no name calling I like that!!!!!
    Peace and Love Irene

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Cindy @ May 25 2009,13:20)
    To whom it may concern

In Genesis God created everything “after” its kind. Whether you believe the world is a billion years old, or 6000 years, the question is, what is “after” its kind? Would not God at one point have had to create it all, and from what, did he not create from nothing?
    If Jesus was born from God's “womb”, and then Jesus gave birth to all the other spirit beings, angels, did they then came from his “womb”? Or how did they come into existence?

Georg

Jesus was born out of the womb of Mary and each kind according to its kind.

Jesus is the servant of God and the son of Mary

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Jesus Christ is the son of God.
    You too can follow him into sonship.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 26 2009,06:28)
    Hi BD,

Let me ask you Nick

Did God Marry Mary? Did God fornicate? exactly how did God have a son?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Would you suggest any law of any kind applies to God and judge Him by them?

God has many sons, some of who rejoiced when the foundations of earth were laid[jb38]

But the sonship we can share with Jesus is by the Spirit of God which Jesus received at the Jordan.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 26 2009,09:17)
    Hi BD,
    Would you suggest any law of any kind applies to God and judge Him by them?

God has many sons, some of who rejoiced when the foundations of earth were laid[jb38]

But the sonship we can share with Jesus is by the Spirit of God which Jesus received at the Jordan.

Therefor saying “son” is an expression of closeness to God because he shares His Spirit with us not because He has offspring.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Closeness?
    We must die that we live in His Spirit.

Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ June 26 2009,09:12)

Hi BD,

Let me ask you Nick

Hi BD:

1Jo 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

1Jo 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

1Jo 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

1Jo 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Anonymous

Philippians 2:9-11Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
    Would God not beget a God? And does a Son not inherit his Fathers substance? If a Sons Father is a King does the Son not inherit the Kingdom?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ June 26 2009,11:29)

Quote (bodhitharta @ June 26 2009,09:12)

Hi BD,

Let me ask you Nick

Hi BD:

1Jo 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.  

1Jo 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.  

1Jo 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.  

1Jo 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,

You did not answer the question.

Did God marry Mary? Did God fornicate with Mary?

In what way did God have offspring?

God does not have children like us

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (TechJoe @ June 26 2009,12:49)
    Philippians 2:9-11Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
    Would God not beget a God? And does a Son not inherit his Fathers substance? If a Sons Father is a King does the Son not inherit the Kingdom?

God does not beget children, you have taken allegory as fact.

How can a son inherit the kingdom of a king Father unless the King Father dies, You are in serious error my friend.

Did Mary and God have a relationship? Of course not Jesus was created in the manner of Adam.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Indeed God does.[1Peter1]

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 358 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account