Jesus Christ is God

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 524 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Genesis 17:1 The Almighty God (Christ) appeared to Abraham

Genesis 26:24 God (Christ) appeared to Isaac

Genesis 32:30 Jacob saw God (Christ) face to face

Exodus 33:11 The Lord (Christ) spoke to Moses face to face

Exodus 6:3 Jehovah (Christ) appeared to Abraham Isaac and Jacob

Genesis 19:24 Two Lords destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. One (Christ) that was on the Earth with Abraham and the other in heaven

This is the sort of speculation that men indulge in when they abandon the need for scriptural proofs.

Faith First
    Participant

David quoted

“What these men saw were angelic representatives and not God himself.”

If we read scripture in a shallow manner we can come to all sorts of conclusions like this.

An angel in the Bible  does not always mean a created winged being. A messenger is also referred to as an angel.

The Archangel Michael who was the Captain of the angelic hosts is non other than Christ our God.

It is the same as when President Bush takes on the position of commander-in-chief of the military. He does not cease to be president.

The following makes it clear that those Bible persons actually saw Christ who is Jehovah.

MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL ….. CHRIST

To begin, let's look at the phrase *angel of the LORD* in the story of Moses and the burning bush-

Exo 3:2 And the *angel of the LORD* appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

Now in verses four and six, who is identified as being in the bush?-

Exo 3:4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.
    Exo 3:6 Moreover he said, *I am* the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

Notice that the angel (messenger) of verse 2 is really none other than God Himself.

This is confirmed in the New Testament-

Acts 7:30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an *angel of the Lord* in a flame of fire in a bush.
    Acts 7:31 When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him,

Now note the following-

Exo 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
    Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, *I AM* THAT *I AM*: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, *I AM* hath sent me unto you.

When asked what His name is, the God of the patriarchs of the Old Testament replies *I AM*.

Now look again in the New Testament-

Acts 7:32 Saying, *I am* the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold.
    John 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, *I am*.

Jesus Christ had just identified Himself as the One who is the God of the Old Testament patriarchs, who was present in the burning bush speaking to Moses.

Just for extra measure-

John 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
    John 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, *I am* he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
    John 18:6 As soon then as he had said unto them, *I am* he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.

Jesus Christ again makes it clear He is the *I am*. Merely speaking the words made those present fall over.

So the *angel of the Lord* and Jesus are identical to, and synonymous with, the *I am* that met Moses at the burning bush.

Now look at the story of Hagar in Genesis-

Gen 16:7 And the *angel of the LORD* found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.
    Gen 16:9 And the *angel of the LORD* said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.
    Gen 16:10 And the *angel of the LORD* said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
    Gen 16:11 And the *angel of the LORD* said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.
    Gen 16:12 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.
    Hagar has been visited and spoken to by the *angel of the Lord*, but look who she says it was-
    Gen 16:13 And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?

Again the *angel of the Lord* is actually none other than the LORD Jesus Christ Himself.

Now a little later in Genesis-

Gen 21:17 And God heard the voice of the lad; and the *angel of God* called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is.
    Gen 21:18 Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation.

Who would make a great nation of the lad? Surely not a mere angel, but actually Jesus Christ Himself.

Now let's look at the story of Abraham and Isaac-

Gen 22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
    Gen 22:2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

God speaks to Abraham, giving him instructions to follow. Look who speaks to Abraham next-

Gen 22:11 And the *angel of the LORD* called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
    Gen 22:15 And the *angel of the LORD* called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
    Gen 22:16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
    Gen 22:17 That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
    Gen 22:18 And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

Who will bless Abraham and multiply his seed? Notice the transition from *angel of the LORD* in verse 15 to the LORD (Jesus Christ) in verse 16?

Now on to Jacob-

Gen 31:11 And the *angel of God* spake unto me in a dream, saying, Jacob: And I said, Here am I.

Who does this messenger identify Himself as?-

Gen 31:13 I am the God of Bethel, where thou anointedst the pillar, and where thou vowedst a vow unto me: now arise, get thee out from this land, and return unto the land of thy kindred.

This vow of Jacob's is found in Gen 28-

Gen 28:20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on,
    Gen 28:21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God:
    Gen 28:22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

So the *angel of God* of Gen 31:11 is again none other than the LORD God (Jesus Christ).

Now to the Israelites in the wilderness-

Exo 14:19 And *the angel of God*, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them:

Who went before them?-

Exo 13:21 And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:

Again, the messenger or *angel of God* is the same as the LORD.

Now in the story of Balaam, we begin with God speaking directly to Balaam-

Num 22:20 And God came
    unto Balaam at night, and said unto him, If the men come to call thee, rise up, and go with them; but yet the word which I shall say unto thee, that shalt thou do.

Then a transition from God to *angel of the LORD*-

Num 22:22 And God's anger was kindled because he went: and the *angel of the LORD* stood in the way for an adversary against him. Now he was riding upon his ass, and his two servants were with him.

So guess who was standing before Balaam? None other than Jesus Christ. The *angel of the LORD* is used many times in verses 23,24,25,26,31,32,34,35 and the LORD in verses 28,31.

Then continuing in Chapter 23 God meets Balaam in verse 4 and the LORD is mentioned in verses 5 and 16. These titles are being used interchangeably. In each case it is again referring to the LORD Jesus Christ.

Now in the book of Judges-

Judg 2:1 And an *angel of the LORD* came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.

By now this should be easy. Just who brought the Israelites out of Egypt and made the covenant with Israel that He would never break – *an angel of the LORD* or Jesus Christ, GOD Himself?

Yes, the answer is both, one and the same.

Now look who visits Gideon later in Judges-

Judg 6:11 And there came an *angel of the LORD*, and sat under an oak which was in Ophrah, that pertained unto Joash the Abiezrite: and his son Gideon threshed wheat by the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites.

Note what this messenger (angel) says-

Judg 6:12 And the *angel of the LORD* appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.

THE LORD IS WITH THEE … it was indeed Jesus with Gideon, note-

Judg 6:20 And the *angel of God* said unto him, Take the flesh and the unleavened cakes, and lay them upon this rock, and pour out the broth. And he did so.
    Judg 6:21 Then the *angel of the LORD* put forth the end of the staff that was in his hand, and touched the flesh and the unleavened cakes; and there rose up fire out of the rock, and consumed the flesh and the unleavened cakes. Then the *angel of the LORD* departed out of his sight.
    Judg 6:22 And when Gideon perceived that he was an *angel of the LORD*, Gideon said, Alas, O Lord GOD! for because I have seen an *angel of the LORD* face to face.

Now look who (again) speaks-

Judg 6:23 And the LORD said unto him, Peace be unto thee; fear not: thou shalt not die.

Gideon had been speaking with the LORD Jesus Christ all along.

On to Judges 13-

Judg 13:3 And the *angel of the LORD* appeared unto the woman, and said unto her, Behold now, thou art barren, and bearest not: but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.

*Angel of God/the Lord* appears in verses 9,13, and 15-18.
    Note what Manoah asks in verse 17 and the answer in verse 18:

Judg 13:17 And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD, What is thy name, that when thy sayings come to pass we may do thee honour?
    Judg 13:18 And the angel of the LORD said unto him, Why askest thou thus after my name, seeing it is secret?

The Hebrew word translated “secret” in the King James (H6383) also can mean “wonderful”. Note that this is a title for Jesus:

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

So who had Manoah and his wife been speaking with?
    Judg 13:21 But the *angel of the LORD* did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an *angel of the LORD*.

Judg 13:22 And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.

They knew, it was God. But why not God the Father, you might ask?-

John 5:37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

So none of these events I cite could be God the Father, He has never been seen by man or spoken to man.

Clearly then, in the instances I cite, the phrase *angel of the LORD* or *angel of God* actually meant Jesus Christ, who is the *chief messenger (angel) of the LORD (God the Father)*, who has declared the Father to mankind.

Here is a further text to consider-

Gen 48:14 And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn.
    Gen 48:15 And he blessed Joseph, and said, God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk, the God which fed me all my life long unto this day,
    Gen 48:16 The *Angel which redeemed me* from all evil, bless the lads; and let my name be named on them, and the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; and let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.

Notice that Israel was talking about God and then transitioned to an angel-

God, — before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac did walk
    God — which fed me all my life long unto this day
    The *Angel — which redeemed me* from all evil
    (*the Angel* that) — bless the lads; and let my name be named on them
    (*the Angel* that) — let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth
    This is referring back to Gen 28:13-15 and the Lord's promise to Jacob (Israel)-
    Gen 28:13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
    Gen 28:14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
    Gen 28:15 And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.
    Gen 28:16 And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.

So in Gen 48:16 Israel is speaking of God as a redeeming angel. Again, not angel the sense of a created being, but rather in the generic sense of the word, meaning messenger. What created angel could redeem anyone? None. Redemption is found only in Jesus Christ, the very Son of God, and that is exactly who Jacob (Israel) had been speaking with and about. Jesus was, and is, that redeeming angel (messenger) sent from God the Father.

The Angel of the Covenant

Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.
    Mal 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
    Mal 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

The messenger of the covenant spoken of here in Malachi is clearly a reference to Jesus Christ, and His first and second coming. The word translated as messenger in Mal 3:1 is the same word [H4397, mal'ak] used in the previous passages of the old testament where we saw the phrase angel of the Lord.

So this would also be a proper translation:

Mal 3:1 Behold, I will send my angel, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the angel of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

The first angel or messenger mentioned in the verse alludes to John the Bapt
    ist, who preceded Jesus Christ and prepared the way for Him, but the angel of the testament / covenant who comes to His temple is clearly Jesus Christ.

So Jesus is described in scripture as the *angel or messenger of the covenant*. That covenant likely being the one made to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:15, that a redeemer would come to rescue a fallen humanity, or in addition, as we have previously noted, it was Jesus who appeared to Moses on Mount Sinai in the burning bush, and He also gave the Ten Commandments to Moses on tables of stone, which were placed in the container known as the ark of the covenant.

Therefore, in Malachi both John the Baptist and Jesus Christ are referred to as angels, or messengers, in the broadest sense of the meaning of the word.

An angel in scripture can simply be a messenger, without meaning the created heavenly winged-being that most associate with the term. This is the key point to be made, Jesus can be referred to as an angel (messenger) without detracting from His deity in any way at all.

So now, what of Michael the archangel? Is it so difficult to believe that he may actually be Jesus Christ? Let's look at each instance He is mentioned in the Bible and see-

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #1

1 Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the *archangel*, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
    Who raises the dead with His voice? Not a created angel, indeed not even a created archangel. The shout is given with the voice of the *archangel*, the LORD Jesus Christ Himself:
    John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;
    John 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
    John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    John 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

It is the voice of Jesus Christ (the Son of man) that raises the dead. Just as 1 Th 4:16 says, the Lord Jesus shall descend from heaven and shout with the voice of the Archangel, because He is the Archangel. With that shout, the righteous dead will be raised from their graves!

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #2

Jude 1:9 Yet *Michael the archangel*, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.

This verse is a virtual duplicate of another Old Testament event-

Zec 3:1 And he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the *angel of the LORD*, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
    Zec 3:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
    In both Jude 9 and Zech 3:1-2 it is Jesus, the *angel of the LORD* who is also *Michael the archangel*, contending with Satan for both Moses and Joshua.

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #3

Dan 10:13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, *Michael*, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia

The prince of the kingdom of Persia is a reference to Satan, and Michael refers again to Jesus. It is the created angel Gabriel that is speaking with Daniel (See Dan 8:16, 9:21). The reference to Michael as one of the chief princes probably alludes to the Trinity, with Jesus being one part of the triune Godhead.

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #4

Dan 10:21 But I will show thee that which is noted in the scripture of truth: and there is none that holdeth with me in these things, but Michael your prince.

So is Gabriel saying that only a created being knows the truth of scripture? No, clearly not. Michael the archangel is Jesus, God, who knows all the truth of scripture.

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #5

Dan 12:1 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people:
    Michael standing up is a reference to the second coming of Jesus at the end of time.
    Some might propose that, in these three preceding texts from Daniel, the description of Michael as a mere prince is inappropriate for Jesus, so it must be speaking of a created angel. Note the following verses:
    Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
    Acts 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
    Acts 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
    Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
    Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
    Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

ARCHANGEL / MICHAEL TEXT #6

Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, …
    Who leads the angelic host of heaven, who is their captain?
    Josh 5:13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
    Josh 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as *captain of the host* of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
    Josh 5:15 And the captain of the LORD'S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.
    Notice that Joshua worshipped the *captain of the Host*? If this were a mere angel, then the angel would have protested Joshua worshipping him, just as the angel protested John the Revelator worshipping him (Rev 22:8-9). So Joshua met with God (Jesus Christ) the *captain of the Host*. That is why he stood on holy ground and was asked to remove his shoes (just like Moses was asked in Exo 3:5 and Acts 7:33).

Therefore, in Rev 12:7 you have Satan and his angels, and Jesus (Michael, the *captain of the Host*) and His angels – this was the war that began in heaven and continues today.
    And what does the name Michael mean? It means *who (is) like God?* A very good question indeed – who is like Jesus?

As this study shows, according to scriptures, Jesus is the angel of the LORD, the angel of God, the angel of the covenant, the Archangel Michael, who appeared time and again in the Old Testament to speak directly to His people.

Michael is just another title for the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who is God in the flesh, the principle messenger of the gospel (archangel) to humanity, but He is not a created being but God Himself.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    Human imaginative speculations attempting to destroy the integrity of scripture I am afraid.

You must take a disciplined approach to understanding scripture and demand witnessing verses from scripture to establish a truth before you take a single further step in your “single verse proof ” stroll in the brambles.

1Cor 13.1

Faith First
    Participant

Hi NH.

Perhaps you missed it. Here is an abundance of verses showing that God (Christ) appeared and spoke face with men. Don't forget that no man has seen the Father. John 1:18, John 5:37. Scripture is so clear.

Gen 17:1  And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD (Jehovah) appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Gen 26:24  And the LORD (Jehovah) appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake.

Gen 32:30  And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Exo 33:11  And the LORD (Jehovah) spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Exo 6:2  And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD (Jehovah):
    Exo 6:3  And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

Gen 18:1  And the LORD (Jehovah) appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

Jesus said:

Joh 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
    Joh 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    Joh 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.

Just in case you are confused who “I AM” is

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

There you are; Jesus Christ  is Jehovah mentioned in scripture.

Mic 5:2  But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “Perhaps you missed it. Here is an abundance of verses showing that God (Christ) appeared and spoke face with men. Don't forget that no man has seen the Father. John 1:18, John 5:37. Scripture is so clear.”

I have looked and looked at these verses but none of them say CHRIST APPEARED.
    Are we meant to make an assumption that all appearances and manifestations of God, are Christ?
    Should we not stick to what is revealed and not wander off the path of truth?
    He told us to abide in his teachings but you are not but are sadly astray in your speculations.

Faith First
    Participant

Hi NH,

To make it clearer for you to grasp, try to focus on the following. Even the Jews understood that Jesus was claiming to be God. The great God that spoke face to face with Abraham and others.

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

Jesus Himself claimed to be the “I AM” God of the old testament.

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
    John 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
    John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

The Jews knew that Jesus was referring to Himself as ”I AM”, the Almighty God, that is why they took up stones to cast at Him. They thought that He was a man claiming to be God.
    The Jews clearly understood that Jesus was Himself claiming to be God.

Here is some more food for thought; the words of Jesus our God.

Joh 6:35 I AM the bread of life:

Joh 6:41 I AM the bread which came down from heaven.

Joh 8:12 I AM the light of the world

Joh 8:23 I AM from above:

Joh 10:9 I AM the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved

Joh 10:11 I am the good shepherd:

Joh 11:25 I AM the resurrection, and the life:

Joh 14:6 I AM the way, the truth, and the life:

Joh 15:1 I AM the true vine

Joh 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I AM.

Joh 8:24 …for if ye believe not that I AM he, ye shall die in your sins.

THERE IS NO DOUBT THAT JESUS IS THE GREAT GOD JEHOVAH.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Some sort of hidden code?
    No.
    Jesus, the monogenes Son, was before Abraham.
    That is what he said and the simple understanding of what he meant.

God is his Father.
    He is the Son of God.

Ask any child who reads the bible.
    It was written for children to enter the kingdom while the “wise” never seem to.

Hi,
    Some sort of hidden code?
    No.
    Jesus, the monogenes Son, was before Abraham.
    That is what he said and the simple understanding of what he meant.

God is his Father.
    He is the Son of God.

Ask any child who reads the bible.
    It was written for children to enter the kingdom while the “wise” never

NH

And most children pray to Jesus.:)

NickHassan
    Participant

hmmm

Faith First
    Participant

Isa 9:6  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Mic 5:2  But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

John 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…..
    Joh 1:14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1Timothy 3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh,…

CHRIST OUR MIGHTY GOD JEHOVAH

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    God is his Father,
    He is the Son of God.
    He told us.

Surely we should believe him?

Mk 14

” 61But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

62And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.”

Faith First
    Participant

Hi NH.

Being the Son of God does not prevent Christ from Being God. The Bible is clear that Christ is the living God Jehovah.

You ought to believe God the Father when He says

Heb 1:8  But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Heb 1:6  And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

Mat 28:9  And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

Mat 14:33  Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Worship belongs only to God.

Rev 22:8  And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
    Rev 22:9  Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

The reason why Jehovahs Witnesses have their own bible is that they refuse to accept the clear word of scripture.

charity
    Participant

My GOD My GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!

Charity

kenrch
    Participant

Jesus is God of this new kingdom. When the new kingdom is completed then Jesus the God of this world will turn it over to God the Father. Jesus God of this new kingdom has the same God as everything —Jehovah.

Heb 1:8 but of the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever; And the sceptre of uprightness is the sceptre of THY KINGDOM.

Heb 1:9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; Therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee With the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.
    1Co 15:23 But each in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; then they that are Christ's, at his coming.
    1Co 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall deliver up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have abolished all rule and all authority and power.
    1Co 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all his enemies under his feet.
    1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be abolished is death.
    1Co 15:27 For, He put all things in subjection under his feet. But when he saith, All things are put in subjection, it is evident that he is excepted who did subject all things unto him.

1Co 15:28 And when all things have been subjected unto him, then shall the “Son also himself be subjected to him that did subject all things unto him, that God may be all in all”.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kenrch,
    You say
    “Jesus is God of this new kingdom.”
    Has God stopped being God?

Faith First
    Participant

Jesus' subjection to the Father is seen in such verses as 1 Corinthians 15:28. John 14:28, and 1 Corinthians 11:3.

These verses and others have been utilized historically by heretics such as the Arians (of whom Jehovah's Witnesses are a revival), to try to “prove” that Jesus is lesser than the Father and therefore not God in the flesh.

Upon closer inspection, however, a clearer picture emerges. John 14:28 is to be understood in light of passages such as Philippians 2:6-8, which show us that Christ in John 14:28 was speaking strictly in terms of his office as Messiah, which entailed a giving up, not of the Divine Nature, but of certain offices  which are enjoyed by the Father:

Phi 2:5  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    Phi 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    Phi 2:7  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    Phi 2:8  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Christ subjected Himself to the Father in order to undertake His role as the Incarnate Son and Mediator between God and man (1 Tim 2:5). Similarly, one might say that “the President of the United States is a greater man than I am,” but this would not mean he was necessarily a better man. In any event, he is still a man like us.

Since Jesus is still God, even while “humbling” Himself (Phil 2:8), Scripture also indicates that the Father is, in a sense, “subject” to the Son:

JOHN 16:15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew {it} unto you.
    JOHN 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give {it} you.

When the Father is called the “head” of the Son (1 Cor 11:3), this also does not entail any lessening of the equality between the Son and the Father. The Bible also talks about wives being subject to their husbands (1 Pet 3:1,5), even while the two are equals (Gal 3:28, Eph 5:21-22), and indeed, “one flesh” (Mt 19:5-6).

Likewise, one Person of the Godhead can be in subjection to another Person and remain God in essence and substance (Phil 2:6-8). Luke 2:51 says that Jesus was “subject” to Mary and Joseph. Yet no Christian of any stripe would hold that Jesus was lesser in essence than His earthly parents!

1 PETER 2:18 Servants, {be} subject to {your} masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward. (NWT: “servants, be submissive to your masters”)
    MATTHEW 23:11 But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant. (similar in NWT)

Likewise, in 1 Cor 15:28, the subjection spoken of is that of the Son as incarnate, not the Son as Son in essence. While this verse tells us that God will be “all in all,” Colossians 3:11 tells us that “. . . Christ {is} all, and in all.”

Thus, Jesus' office as Messiah and Mediator will cease in time, but not His Godhood, since Scripture teaches that He will be “all in all” just as His Father is.

Joh 20:28  And Thomas answered and said unto him (Jesus), My Lord and my God.

Phi 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    Did God come in the flesh or did the Son of God come as a vessel for God, filled at the Jordan?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “Upon closer inspection, however, a clearer picture emerges. John 14:28 is to be understood in light of passages such as Philippians 2:6-8, which show us that Christ in John 14:28 was speaking strictly in terms of his office as Messiah, which entailed a giving up, not of the Divine Nature, but of certain offices which are enjoyed by the Father:

Phi 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    Phi 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    Phi 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    Phi 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.”

So what did Christ give up?
    His own Power and authority?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “Being the Son of God does not prevent Christ from Being God. The Bible is clear that Christ is the living God Jehovah.”

So is he the God he is a son of?
    Or is he not really a son after all?

It is not wise to deny the Son of God.
    Eternal life is in the Son.
    There is salvation in no other name.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi FF,
    You say
    “When the Father is called the “head” of the Son (1 Cor 11:3), this also does not entail any lessening of the equality between the Son and the Father.”

What equality?

Jesus said the Father was GREATER than himself.
    I believe him.
    Do you?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 524 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account