Jehovah's Witness Church

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 847 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

I'm not talking about all the anwers. I'm talking about the “yes” or “no” answers that you can answer but don't. I”m talking about me for example asking you 10 times if you celebrate Christmas. You don't have all the answers. Does this mean you're not sure if you're celebrating it or not?
    Nick, I'm not asking you for “all the answers.” I wound never do that. I am speaking of what you believe. I often ask you questions about what you believe. YOu often seem to dodge questions that it makes no sense to dodge. Sometimes, I feel you are being vague for the sake of vagueness.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Why are questions asked?
    We recently saw one clear reason.
    Moralists sometimes ask questions so they can accuse of sin.
    Their intolerant view defines men only by actions not by fruit.
    It reveals their own view of obtaining righteousness by works.
    God looks at the heart and He is the judge of men through Christ.
    We exist to encourage men to build knowledge on the faith of old
    and to warn against falsehood, adding to truth and following men
    while opening scripture together to find truth, but we all have a judge.

We have enough timewasting here without indulging their empty joys.

david
    Participant

So, your view here allows me to dodge questions then. Alright. I have often considered being “fluffy” in my responses to you, as you are to many, just so you would get the hint. I guess this is permission for me to do that.

Thankyou

david
    Participant

Personaly, I find that people avoid answering questions that are troubling.
    I believe this is why you and many don't answer some questions.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    I am glad the loving God is the one to Whom we must account.

david
    Participant

Your loving God that you believe burns people in fire for eternity Nick?
    I'm not certain you understand “love.”

But I do agree with your last statement. It in no way changes the fact that many don't answer questions because they can't answer them.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    I know what God teaches about love.

Jn 3
    ” 13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God. “

Jn 3
    “31He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all.

32And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony.

33He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true.

34For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

35The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

36He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

So the wrath of God REMAINS on those who reject the Son.
    That is the problem

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The JWs beliefs are very simple and I have copied them here from their website.
    Beliefs—God, Man, and the Future
    The Bible
    It is God's infallible, inspired Word, upon which Jehovah's Witnesses base all their beliefs. Some portions of the Bible are to be understood figuratively, or symbolically.—2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Revelation 1:1.

God
    Jehovah is the name of the only true God, the Creator of all things. As such, he is worthy of our worship and devotion. His outstanding qualities are love, justice, wisdom, and power.—Psalm 83:18; 1 John 4:8; Revelation 4:11.

Jesus
    He is the Son of God. He came to earth from heaven and gave his perfect human life as a ransom sacrifice. His death and resurrection made salvation to eternal life possible for those exercising faith in him. He is now ruling as King of God's heavenly Kingdom, which will soon bring peace to the entire earth. Jesus never claimed equality with God and thus is not part of a Trinity.—John 3:16; 14:28; Revelation 11:15.

Sin and Death
    Death is a result of sin inherited from the first man, Adam, who chose to disobey God. The original sin was not sex relations but was the deliberate disobedient act of eating of “the tree of the knowledge of good and bad.” The dead are conscious of nothing. In the future, God through Jesus will resurrect the dead.—Genesis 2:17; Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10; John 11:25; Romans 5:12.

Worship
    True worship emphasizes, not ritual and outward show, but spirit and truth. It is characterized by genuine love for God, obedience to his commandments, and love for one's fellowman. Jehovah's Witnesses do not use religious symbols, such as the cross, in their worship.—Matthew 22:37-39; John 4:24; 1 Corinthians 10:14.

God's Kingdom
    It is the heavenly Kingdom for which Jesus taught all his followers to pray. Soon it will become the one government over all the earth and will solve mankind's pressing problems. The Bible does not give a date for these events, but it provides evidence to show that we are living in “the last days” of this troubled world.—2 Timothy 3:1-5; Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10; 24:3-8, 36.

Judgment
    Jesus is God's appointed Judge who determines what each one's future will be. Those judged righteous will be given everlasting life on a paradise earth. Those judged unrighteous will not be tormented but will die and cease to exist. Humans are not responsible for this judgment, nor will they be involved when God takes action to remove all wickedness from the earth.—Proverbs 2:21, 22; John 5:22; Acts 17:30, 31; Revelation 21:3, 4.

Earth
    The earth will never be destroyed or depopulated but will become a peaceful paradise.—Psalm 37:29; Isaiah 45:18; Luke 23:43

Not a lot about the need for repentance and rebirth.

david
    Participant

The JWs beliefs are very simple and I have copied them here from their website.

Not a lot about the need for repentance and rebirth.

Obviously, well, obviously, to most, this is not all of our beliefs.

I guess you could accuse the Bible of the same. Although it mentions the kingdom so very many times, there are only a handful of scriptures that speak of being born again, for example. You must be born again to enter the kingdom of God. Of course, Nick, I know you already know we believe this, as I've told it to you 25 times. We believe what the scriptures actually say on that subject.
    Nick, I've been thinking about creating a new thread, on on Jehovah's Witnesses myself. It will be a little different from the other threads. It will have the beliefs of JW's, for example.

Participant

Hi David:

As I understand your teaching the JWs believe that the Sabbath day law is not longer applicable to the church today.

Recently, some one asked whether or not it had been changed in another thread, and several replied giving their understanding that it had not, and you also gave your understanding that it had which what we should do as we all here are striving to arrive at the truth, or at least in my judgment that is what we should be doing, so that we can put God's Word into practice in our daily lives and so also we can teach others.

And so some one gave the following scripture to support their view that the Sabbath day law has not been changed:  “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.  For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commndments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven”.  (Matt. 5:17-19)

And so, if you now have this knowledge, assuming that you were not aware of this scripture, if you continue to disregard this scripture and teach the opinion of the JWs instead, whose disciple are you?

Jesus does teach that if some one teaches some thing like this in ignorance, I say in ignorance because if you violate the law it is sin, they will be least in the kingdom of heaven.

In the Old Testament there was this person who was stoned to death for picking up sticks on the Sabbath day.  (Num. 15:32-36)  This seem to be such a minor violation and so why did God impose such a severe punishment?  It is because he did this defiantly.

Hebrews 10:26-31 states: “For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation which shall devour the adversaries.  He that despised Moses law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?  For we know him that said.  Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord.  And again, the Lord shall judge his people”.

But first things first the Lord says to Nicodemus: “…Verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God”.  (John 3:5)  This applies to all who profess to be Christians, and not to a selected few.

If I love you and, I do, it will not be with flattery but with the truth.  Again, by desire is God's very best for you and your family.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    In which way is the OT law binding on those in Christ? Is it still their master? If they were never Jews but gentiles and they were never under Law would you now enforce it for them? Surely that law hangs dead on the cross as a reminder of sin but no longer as a master and the positive law of love written on the heart now gently guides them from within? If we go back to trying to please God by following the OT Law we despise Christ and must obey perfectly every detail, which is impossible.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 21 2007,18:00)
    Hi 94,
    In which way is the OT law binding on those in Christ? Is it still their master? If they were never Jews but gentiles and they were never under Law would you now enforce it for them? Surely that law hangs dead on the cross as a reminder of sin but no longer as a master and the positive law of love written on the heart now gently guides them from within? If we go back to trying to please God by following the OT Law we despise Christ and must obey perfectly every detail, which is impossible.

Hi Nick:

The Word of God applies to those who profess to be serving God.  All I can do is refer you to what Jesus said regarding the law in Matthew 5:17-19.

To be under grace means that we did not earn our salvation through perfect obedience to the law.  Jesus fulfilled the law and is our example also how we should live our lives so that we also through obedience to the commandments that have come to us from God through him will aslo fulfill the law.  We make mistakes, and so when we do, we repent and the blood of our Lord Jesus washes away our sin.  The scripture states that sin is the transgression of the law.  (1 John 3:4)

Romans 6:1-2 states: “What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound?  Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?”

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    The Spirit teaches and enables us to live according to the law of love.

david
    Participant

THE SABBATH–IS THE SABBATH LAW BINDING ON CHRISTIANS?

4TH COMMANDMENT:
    “Remembering the sabbath day to hold it sacred, you are to render service and you must do all your work six days. But the seventh day is a sabbath to Jehovah your God. You must not do any work.” (Ex. 20:8-10)

INTRODUCTION TO 10 COMMANDMENTS:
    “I am Jehovah your God, who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves.” (Ex. 20:2)

Note the way that the 4TH Commandment reads at Deuteronomy 5:12-15:
    “Keeping the sabbath day to hold it sacred, . . . you must remember that you became a slave in the land of Egypt and Jehovah your God proceeded to bring you out from there with a strong hand and an outstretched arm. That is why Jehovah your God commanded you to carry on the sabbath day.”

In fact, this sabbath law was to be a sign between Jehovah and whom? Only Israel. At Exodus 31:13 it is written: “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘Especially my sabbaths you are to keep, for it is a sign between me and you during your generations that you may know that I Jehovah am sanctifying you.’” (See also Ezekiel 20:10-12.)
    And while some claim that the sabbath law applied from Eden onward, Moses plainly stated to his people: “It was not with our forefathers that Jehovah concluded this covenant, but with us, all those of us alive here today.”—Deut. 5:3.

“OHLAM”–AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME
    But was not that sabbath to be a sign between Jehovah God and his people “forever”? (Ex. 31:17, Byington’s translation, also The New English Bible) No, because the Hebrew word here rendered “forever” is ‛oh·laḿ and merely means an indefinite period or uncertain time.
    Ex. 31:16, 17: “The sons of Israel must keep the sabbath, so as to carry out the sabbath during their generations. It is a covenant to time indefinite [“a perpetual covenant,” RS]. Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite.”

Notice that sabbath observance was a sign between Jehovah and Israel; this would not be the case if everyone else were also obligated to keep the Sabbath. The Hebrew word rendered “perpetual” in RS is ‛oh·laḿ, which basically means a period of time that, from the standpoint of the present, is indefinite or hidden from sight but of long duration. That can mean forever, but not necessarily so. At Numbers 25:13 the same Hebrew word is applied to the priesthood, which later ended, according to Hebrews 7:12.
    The fact that this word is used in regard to ever so many other features of the Law arrangement that have obviously passed away shows that it does not necessarily mean forever.—Ex. 12:14, 17, 24; 27:21; 28:43; 29:28.

JESUS AND THE APOSTLES
    Did Jesus observe the sabbath? The religious leaders of his day found fault with Jesus in this regard, but the fact remains that as a Jew born under the Law, he did indeed observe the sabbath. (Gal. 4:4) He kept the sabbath as God’s Word directed. When challenged, he argued, not that the sabbath did not apply to him, but, rather, that it was “lawful to do a fine thing on the sabbath.” (Matt. 12:12) However, he also said that he came “to fulfill” the Law. (Matt. 5:17) How did this affect his disciples?
    After Jesus’ death, resurrection and ascension into heaven did they continue to keep the sabbath? No. But they did take advantage of local customs to preach to the people who usually gathered on the sabbath. Thus we read that Paul and his companions entered a synagogue on the sabbath. Why? Because that is when people were there. (Acts 13:14-16) And it was their listeners, accustomed to gathering on the sabbath, that asked that they be permitted to hear more on the following sabbath. (Acts 13:42-44) Whenever the sabbath is mentioned in the book of Acts, it is in connection with non-Christian worship, either at a synagogue or other place of prayer.—Acts 16:11-13; 17:1-3; 18:4.
    On the other hand, mention is made that on certain occasions Christ’s disciples came together on the first day of the week. (John 20:19, 26; Acts 20:7) While this does not authorize Christians to make the first day of the week a sacred one, in the absence of any specific commands to that effect in the Christian Greek Scriptures, it certainly does imply that the early Christians no longer felt bound to the seventh day as a special one for worship.

“UNDER LAW”?
    At Romans 6:14, it is written to Christians: “You are not under law.”

But the claim is made by some who hold out for sabbath-day observance that only those who break God’s law can be said to be “under Law,” and that all who keep it are “free from the Law.” But such an argument finds no support in God’s Word. Instead, the Bible says: “We know that all the things the Law says it addresses to those under the Law.”—Rom. 3:19.
    Also refuting their position are the words of the apostle Paul found at Galatians 3:23, where it states that “before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law.” Certainly Jesus was not a breaker of the Law, and yet we read of him: “When the full limit of the time arrived, God sent forth his Son, who came to be out of a woman and who came to be under law.” This one scripture of itself shows how specious is the argument that only those who break the Law could be said to be “under” it.—Gal. 4:4.

WARNED AGAINST OBSERVING DAYS
    While not under the ten commandments, Christians are admonished in line with the principles found in the ten commandments. Thus they are warned against worshiping other gods, against idolatry, against profaning God’s name, against murder, adultery, theft, bearing false witness and against covetousness; they are also commanded to honor their father and mother.
    But we look in vain from Matthew through Revelation for any express command to observe the seventh day of the week.
    On the contrary, Christians are specifically commanded: “Let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; for those things are a shadow of the things to come.” (Col. 2:16, 17) In particular were the Galatian Christians reproved for observing certain days: “Now that you . . . have come to be known by God, how is it that you are turning back again to the weak and beggarly elementary things and want to slave for them over again? You are scrupulously observing days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting you.”—Gal. 4:9-11.
    That sabbath observance was not obligatory upon early Christians can be seen from Romans 14:5: “One man judges one day as above another; another man judges one day as all others; let each man be fully convinced in his own mind.” The apostle Paul could not have put the matter this way if Christians were still bound by the ten commanments.
    In this regard it is indeed of interest that such early church “fathers” as Justin Martyr and Tertullian put sabbath keeping in the same class as circumcision.

GOD THROUGH CHRIST MADE AN END TO THE LAW
    Very clearly the Scriptures state that God through Christ made an end to the Law. (Eph. 2:14-18; Col. 2:13, 14) Some persons claim that God made an end only to the so-called ceremonial law, but not to the Ten Commandments. But there is no Scriptural warrant for such a separation. In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus quoted from both the ten commandments and the ceremonial features of the Law and made no distinction between them.—Matt. 5:21-42.
    In further support of this, note the inspired words appearing at Romans 7:4-12. There we read that Christians “were made dead to the Law through the body of the Christ,” and, as a result, they “have been discharged from the Law.” From what Law? From only the so-called ceremon
    ial law? Not at all, for the inspired writer goes on to quote from the Ten Commandments, “You must not covet,” showing that by “Law” he meant not only the so-called ceremonial law, but the entire law given through Moses, including the Ten Commandments.

LAW VERSUS UNDESERVED KINDNESS
    Throughout the Christian Greek Scriptures the law of Moses is contrasted with the “grace” or undeserved kindness that came in with Jesus Christ. Thus we read that “the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17, Authorized Version) Yes, “Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.” By “end” is not meant merely the goal of the Law but its finish. Christians are therefore counseled: “Sin must not be master over you, seeing that you are not under law but under undeserved kindness.”—Rom. 10:4; 6:14.
    The Law served its purpose, preparing the Israelites for their Messiah, even as we read: “The Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith. But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a tutor.” (Gal. 3:24, 25) For whom was the Law a tutor? Only for the Jews. Thus when Paul preached to non-Jews in Athens, some of them became believers, Christians, although they had never been under the Mosaic law as a tutor.—Acts 17:22-34.

THE “LAW” OF LOVE
    “You were, of course, called for freedom, brothers; only do not use this freedom as an inducement for the flesh, but through love slave for one another. For the entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’”
    (Gal. 5:13, 14) If Christians had been relieved only from the so-called ceremonial law, such a freedom would not constitute an inducement to the flesh. But clearly the argument is that just because they are no longer under the Mosaic law, including its Ten Commandments, they are not free to act with disregard for others, for they are still obligated by the law of love.
    Showing that such obligation to love takes the place of commandments found in the Ten Commandments (and not just of the so-called ceremonial law) are the words found at Romans 13:8-10: “Do not you people be owing anybody a single thing, except to love one another; for he that loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. For the law code, ‘You must not commit adultery, You must not murder, You must not steal, You must not covet,’ and whatever other commandment there is, is summed up in this word, namely, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor,’ therefore love is the law’s fulfillment.” Because of the fundamental importance of love, Jesus did not refer to any of the Ten Commandments when asked what was the greatest one, but showed that the greatest commandment was to love God with one’s whole heart, soul, mind and strength.—Mark 12:29, 30.
    The Fourth Commandment, however, is not without meaning for Christians. They do keep a sabbath, not one day out of seven, but a continual sabbath, the sabbath that God entered into upon completing his works of creation. (Ps. 95:8-11; Heb. 3:7 to 4:8) Yes, “there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God,” wrote Paul; “let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” How? By exercising faith in God’s provision for salvation; by desisting from selfish works and, instead, using our lives to glorify God. “The man that has entered into God’s rest has also himself rested from his own works [works at self-justification, selfish works], just as God did from his own” works of creation. (Heb. 4:9-11)

DOES THIS SCRIPTURE TEACH THAT CHRISTIANS ARE STILL UNDER THE LAW?
    MATTHEW 5:17-19
    ““Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill; for truly I say to YOU that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one particle of a letter to pass away from the Law by any means and not all things take place. Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches mankind to that effect, he will be called ‘least’ in relation to the kingdom of the heavens. As for anyone who does them and teaches them, this one will be called ‘great’ in relation to the kingdom of the heavens.”

What is “the Law and the Prophets”?

MATTHEW 5:17
    ““Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill;”

MATTHEW 7:12
    ““All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.”

MATTHEW 22:40
    “On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.””

LUKE 16:16
    ““The Law and the Prophets were until John. From then on the kingdom of God is being declared as good news, and every sort of person is pressing forward toward it.”

JOHN 1:45
    “Philip found Na·thańa·el and said to him: “We have found the one of whom Moses, in the Law, and the Prophets wrote, Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Naźa·reth.””

ROMANS 3:21
    “But now apart from law God’s righteousness has been made manifest, as it is borne witness to by the Law and the Prophets;”

“the Law and the Prophets,” in the Bible, seems to be used as a generic term meaning the entire Hebrew Scriptures and not simply the first and second sections of those Scriptures (Mt 5:17; 7:12; 22:40; Lu 16:16). When Paul referred to “the Law,” he quoted from Isaiah.—1Co 14:21; Isa 28:11.

The phrase “the law and the prophets” does not seem to indicate the Mosaic Law. I believe it is referring to the whole of the Hebrew scriptures.

david

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 21 2007,21:29)
    Hi 94,
    The Spirit teaches and enables us to live according to the law of love.

Hi Nick:

Yes, true, I love God and strive to keep commandments and that includes keeping the Sabbath day.  As I discussed with you in another thread I am not in bondage with this.  God instuted the Sabbath day as a day of rest, and that to me is a good thing.

But since you are questioning my response to David relative to the scripture that Jesus has given us which I have quoted, Matthew 5:17-19, please give me your interpretation of what he means by this scripture.

Thanks, and God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    see another thread-commandments.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 22 2007,19:07)
    Hi 94,
    see another thread-commandments.

Hi Nick:

Is this an existing thread or one that your are starting? I searched for this thread and it did not come up.

Can you bring it up? Thanks.

Phoenix
    Participant

I think he is talking about the one I started. The Ten Commandments. Im not sure

Here it is

Hugs
    Phoenix

Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 22 2007,00:29)
    THE SABBATH–IS THE SABBATH LAW BINDING ON CHRISTIANS?

4TH COMMANDMENT:
    “Remembering the sabbath day to hold it sacred, you are to render service and you must do all your work six days. But the seventh day is a sabbath to Jehovah your God. You must not do any work.” (Ex. 20:8-10)

INTRODUCTION TO 10 COMMANDMENTS:
    “I am Jehovah your God, who have brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slaves.” (Ex. 20:2)

Note the way that the 4TH Commandment reads at Deuteronomy 5:12-15:
    “Keeping the sabbath day to hold it sacred, . . . you must remember that you became a slave in the land of Egypt and Jehovah your God proceeded to bring you out from there with a strong hand and an outstretched arm. That is why Jehovah your God commanded you to carry on the sabbath day.”

In fact, this sabbath law was to be a sign between Jehovah and whom? Only Israel. At Exodus 31:13 it is written: “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘Especially my sabbaths you are to keep, for it is a sign between me and you during your generations that you may know that I Jehovah am sanctifying you.’” (See also Ezekiel 20:10-12.)
    And while some claim that the sabbath law applied from Eden onward, Moses plainly stated to his people: “It was not with our forefathers that Jehovah concluded this covenant, but with us, all those of us alive here today.”—Deut. 5:3.

“OHLAM”–AN INDEFINITE PERIOD OF TIME
    But was not that sabbath to be a sign between Jehovah God and his people “forever”? (Ex. 31:17, Byington’s translation, also The New English Bible) No, because the Hebrew word here rendered “forever” is ‛oh·laḿ and merely means an indefinite period or uncertain time.
    Ex. 31:16, 17: “The sons of Israel must keep the sabbath, so as to carry out the sabbath during their generations. It is a covenant to time indefinite [“a perpetual covenant,” RS]. Between me and the sons of Israel it is a sign to time indefinite.”

Notice that sabbath observance was a sign between Jehovah and Israel; this would not be the case if everyone else were also obligated to keep the Sabbath. The Hebrew word rendered “perpetual” in RS is ‛oh·laḿ, which basically means a period of time that, from the standpoint of the present, is indefinite or hidden from sight but of long duration. That can mean forever, but not necessarily so. At Numbers 25:13 the same Hebrew word is applied to the priesthood, which later ended, according to Hebrews 7:12.
    The fact that this word is used in regard to ever so many other features of the Law arrangement that have obviously passed away shows that it does not necessarily mean forever.—Ex. 12:14, 17, 24; 27:21; 28:43; 29:28.

JESUS AND THE APOSTLES
    Did Jesus observe the sabbath? The religious leaders of his day found fault with Jesus in this regard, but the fact remains that as a Jew born under the Law, he did indeed observe the sabbath. (Gal. 4:4) He kept the sabbath as God’s Word directed. When challenged, he argued, not that the sabbath did not apply to him, but, rather, that it was “lawful to do a fine thing on the sabbath.” (Matt. 12:12) However, he also said that he came “to fulfill” the Law. (Matt. 5:17) How did this affect his disciples?
    After Jesus’ death, resurrection and ascension into heaven did they continue to keep the sabbath? No. But they did take advantage of local customs to preach to the people who usually gathered on the sabbath. Thus we read that Paul and his companions entered a synagogue on the sabbath. Why? Because that is when people were there. (Acts 13:14-16) And it was their listeners, accustomed to gathering on the sabbath, that asked that they be permitted to hear more on the following sabbath. (Acts 13:42-44) Whenever the sabbath is mentioned in the book of Acts, it is in connection with non-Christian worship, either at a synagogue or other place of prayer.—Acts 16:11-13; 17:1-3; 18:4.
    On the other hand, mention is made that on certain occasions Christ’s disciples came together on the first day of the week. (John 20:19, 26; Acts 20:7) While this does not authorize Christians to make the first day of the week a sacred one, in the absence of any specific commands to that effect in the Christian Greek Scriptures, it certainly does imply that the early Christians no longer felt bound to the seventh day as a special one for worship.

“UNDER LAW”?
    At Romans 6:14, it is written to Christians: “You are not under law.”

But the claim is made by some who hold out for sabbath-day observance that only those who break God’s law can be said to be “under Law,” and that all who keep it are “free from the Law.” But such an argument finds no support in God’s Word. Instead, the Bible says: “We know that all the things the Law says it addresses to those under the Law.”—Rom. 3:19.
    Also refuting their position are the words of the apostle Paul found at Galatians 3:23, where it states that “before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law.” Certainly Jesus was not a breaker of the Law, and yet we read of him: “When the full limit of the time arrived, God sent forth his Son, who came to be out of a woman and who came to be under law.” This one scripture of itself shows how specious is the argument that only those who break the Law could be said to be “under” it.—Gal. 4:4.

WARNED AGAINST OBSERVING DAYS
    While not under the ten commandments, Christians are admonished in line with the principles found in the ten commandments. Thus they are warned against worshiping other gods, against idolatry, against profaning God’s name, against murder, adultery, theft, bearing false witness and against covetousness; they are also commanded to honor their father and mother.
    But we look in vain from Matthew through Revelation for any express command to observe the seventh day of the week.
    On the contrary, Christians are specifically commanded: “Let no man judge you in eating and drinking or in respect of a festival or of an observance of the new moon or of a sabbath; for those things are a shadow of the things to come.” (Col. 2:16, 17) In particular were the Galatian Christians reproved for observing certain days: “Now that you . . . have come to be known by God, how is it that you are turning back again to the weak and beggarly elementary things and want to slave for them over again? You are scrupulously observing days and months and seasons and years. I fear for you, that somehow I have toiled to no purpose respecting you.”—Gal. 4:9-11.
    That sabbath observance was not obligatory upon early Christians can be seen from Romans 14:5: “One man judges one day as above another; another man judges one day as all others; let each man be fully convinced in his own mind.” The apostle Paul could not have put the matter this way if Christians were still bound by the ten commanments.
    In this regard it is indeed of interest that such early church “fathers” as Justin Martyr and Tertullian put sabbath keeping in the same class as circumcision.

GOD THROUGH CHRIST MADE AN END TO THE LAW
    Very clearly the Scriptures state that God through Christ made an end to the Law. (Eph. 2:14-18; Col. 2:13, 14) Some persons claim that God made an end only to the so-called ceremonial law, but not to the Ten Commandments. But there is no Scriptural warrant for such a separation. In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus quoted from both the ten commandments and the ceremonial features of the Law and made no distinction between them.—Matt. 5:21-42.
    In further support of this, note the inspired words appearing at Romans 7:4-12. The
    re we read that Christians “were made dead to the Law through the body of the Christ,” and, as a result, they “have been discharged from the Law.” From what Law? From only the so-called ceremonial law? Not at all, for the inspired writer goes on to quote from the Ten Commandments, “You must not covet,” showing that by “Law” he meant not only the so-called ceremonial law, but the entire law given through Moses, including the Ten Commandments.

LAW VERSUS UNDESERVED KINDNESS
    Throughout the Christian Greek Scriptures the law of Moses is contrasted with the “grace” or undeserved kindness that came in with Jesus Christ. Thus we read that “the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.” (John 1:17, Authorized Version) Yes, “Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.” By “end” is not meant merely the goal of the Law but its finish. Christians are therefore counseled: “Sin must not be master over you, seeing that you are not under law but under undeserved kindness.”—Rom. 10:4; 6:14.
    The Law served its purpose, preparing the Israelites for their Messiah, even as we read: “The Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith. But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a tutor.” (Gal. 3:24, 25) For whom was the Law a tutor? Only for the Jews. Thus when Paul preached to non-Jews in Athens, some of them became believers, Christians, although they had never been under the Mosaic law as a tutor.—Acts 17:22-34.

THE “LAW” OF LOVE
    “You were, of course, called for freedom, brothers; only do not use this freedom as an inducement for the flesh, but through love slave for one another. For the entire Law stands fulfilled in one saying, namely: ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’”
    (Gal. 5:13, 14) If Christians had been relieved only from the so-called ceremonial law, such a freedom would not constitute an inducement to the flesh. But clearly the argument is that just because they are no longer under the Mosaic law, including its Ten Commandments, they are not free to act with disregard for others, for they are still obligated by the law of love.
    Showing that such obligation to love takes the place of commandments found in the Ten Commandments (and not just of the so-called ceremonial law) are the words found at Romans 13:8-10: “Do not you people be owing anybody a single thing, except to love one another; for he that loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. For the law code, ‘You must not commit adultery, You must not murder, You must not steal, You must not covet,’ and whatever other commandment there is, is summed up in this word, namely, ‘You must love your neighbor as yourself.’ Love does not work evil to one’s neighbor,’ therefore love is the law’s fulfillment.” Because of the fundamental importance of love, Jesus did not refer to any of the Ten Commandments when asked what was the greatest one, but showed that the greatest commandment was to love God with one’s whole heart, soul, mind and strength.—Mark 12:29, 30.
    The Fourth Commandment, however, is not without meaning for Christians. They do keep a sabbath, not one day out of seven, but a continual sabbath, the sabbath that God entered into upon completing his works of creation. (Ps. 95:8-11; Heb. 3:7 to 4:8) Yes, “there remains a sabbath resting for the people of God,” wrote Paul; “let us therefore do our utmost to enter into that rest.” How? By exercising faith in God’s provision for salvation; by desisting from selfish works and, instead, using our lives to glorify God. “The man that has entered into God’s rest has also himself rested from his own works [works at self-justification, selfish works], just as God did from his own” works of creation. (Heb. 4:9-11)

DOES THIS SCRIPTURE TEACH THAT CHRISTIANS ARE STILL UNDER THE LAW?
    MATTHEW 5:17-19
    ““Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill; for truly I say to YOU that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one particle of a letter to pass away from the Law by any means and not all things take place. Whoever, therefore, breaks one of these least commandments and teaches mankind to that effect, he will be called ‘least’ in relation to the kingdom of the heavens. As for anyone who does them and teaches them, this one will be called ‘great’ in relation to the kingdom of the heavens.”

What is “the Law and the Prophets”?

MATTHEW 5:17
    ““Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I came, not to destroy, but to fulfill;”

MATTHEW 7:12
    ““All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean.”

MATTHEW 22:40
    “On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.””

LUKE 16:16
    ““The Law and the Prophets were until John. From then on the kingdom of God is being declared as good news, and every sort of person is pressing forward toward it.”

JOHN 1:45
    “Philip found Na·thańa·el and said to him: “We have found the one of whom Moses, in the Law, and the Prophets wrote, Jesus, the son of Joseph, from Naźa·reth.””

ROMANS 3:21
    “But now apart from law God’s righteousness has been made manifest, as it is borne witness to by the Law and the Prophets;”

“the Law and the Prophets,” in the Bible, seems to be used as a generic term meaning the entire Hebrew Scriptures and not simply the first and second sections of those Scriptures (Mt 5:17; 7:12; 22:40; Lu 16:16). When Paul referred to “the Law,” he quoted from Isaiah.—1Co 14:21; Isa 28:11.

The phrase “the law and the prophets” does not seem to indicate the Mosaic Law.  I believe it is referring to the whole of the Hebrew scriptures.

david

Hi David:

I believe that I answered this in my response to Nick in the thread of the “Ten Commandments”.  

One thing though, the nation of Israel was delivered from Egypt and  bondage to Pharaoh. We who are born again believers have been delivered from bondage to sin.  

There is a lot of symbolism in the Old Testament, and deliverance from bondage to Pharaoh is symbolic of a Christians deliverance from bondage to sin.

God Bless

Faith First
    Participant

The following shows who the mother and her harlot daughters are.

What The Churches Say About The Sabbath

Catholic

“Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change” (Sabbath to SUNday) “was her act. And the act is a MARK of her ecclesiastical power and authority in religious matters.”      HF Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons (Catholic Church).  (Sunday Worship; the Mark of the Beast)

“Sunday is our MARK or authority…the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.”     Catholic Record of London, Ontario, September 1 1923.  (Sunday Worship; the Mark of the Beast)

“From this same Catholic Church you have accepted your Sunday, and that Sunday, as the Lord's day, she has handed down as a tradition; and the entire Protestant world has accepted it as tradition, for you have not an iota of Scripture to establish it. Therefore that which you have accepted as your rule of faith, inadequate as it of course is, as well as your Sunday, you have accepted on the authority of the Roman Catholic Church.”-D. B. RAY, “The Papal Controversy,” 1892, page 179.
    “I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! the entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church.' – T. ENRIGHT, C.S.S.R., in a lecture at Hartford, Kansas, Feb. 18, 1884.
    “The Catholic Church for over one thousand years before the existence of a Protestant, by virtue of her divine mission, changed the day from Saturday to Sunday.”-The Catholic Mirror, Sept. 23, 1893.
    “You may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we [Catholics] never sanctify.”-JAMES CARDINAL GIBBONS, “The Faith of Our Fathers,” page 111.
    “Reason and sense demand the acceptance of one or the other of these alternatives: either Protestantism and the keeping holy of Saturday or Catholicity and the keeping holy of Sunday. Compromise is impossible' “-JAMES CARDINAL GIBBONS, Catholic Mirror, Dec. 23, 1983.
    “Question: What Bible authority is there for changing the Sabbath from the seventh to the first, day of the week? Who gave the pope the authority to change a command of God?
    “Answer: If the Bible is the only guide for the Christian, then the Seventh-day Adventist is right in observing the Saturday with the Jew. But Catholics learn what to believe and do from the divine, infallible authority established by Jesus Christ, the Catholic Church…. Is it not strange that those who make the Bible their only teacher should inconsistently follow in this matter the tradition of the Church?”-“Question Box,” by CONWAY, I903 Edition. pages 254, 255.
    “Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
    “Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.
    “Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
    “Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church, in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 336), transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday.”-PETER GERERMANN, “The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine,” Second Edition, 1910, page 50.
    “It was the Catholic Church which, by the authority of Jesus Christ, has transferred this rest to the Sunday in remembrance of the resurrection of our Lord. Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] church.' – MGR. SEGUR, “Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today,” page 213.
    “Question: Have you any other way of proving that the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?
    “Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her; -she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.'- STEPHEN KEENAN, “A Doctrinal Catechism,” page I74.
    “Question: How prove you that the Church hath power to command feasts and holydays?
    “Answer By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of; and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same Church.
    “Question: How prove you that?
    “Answer: Because by keeping Sunday, they acknowledge the Church's power to ordain feasts, and to command them under sin: and by not keeping the rest [of the feasts] by her commanded, they again deny, in fact, the same power.” HENRY TUBERVILLE, D.D., “An Abridgment of the Christian Doctrine” (R. C.), page 58,
    “Catholic: Is the Bible the rule or guide of Protestants for observing Sunday?
    “Protestant: No, I believe the Seventh-day Adventists are the only ones who know the Bible in the matter of Sabbath observance.” – “The Bible an Authority Only in Catholic Hands,” pages 25, 26.
    “Practically everything that Protestants regard as essential or important they have received from the Catholic Church. They accepted Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made that change.
    “But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that in accepting the Bible, in observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church, the pope.”-Our Sunday Visitor, Feb. 5, I950.
    Baptist

“There was and is a Commandment to keep holy the Sabbath day, but that Sabbath day was not Sunday…. It will be said, however, and with some show of triumph, that the Sabbath was transferred from the seventh to the first day of the week. . . . Where can the record of such a transaction be found? Not in the New Testament-absolutely not. There is no Scriptural evidence of the change of the Sabbath institution from the seventh to the first day of the week.
    “To me it seems unaccountable that Jesus, during three years' intercourse with His disciples, often conversing with them upon the Sabbath question … never alluded to any transference of the day; also, that during forty days of His resurrection life, no such thing was intimated.
    “Of course, I quite well know that Sunday did come into use in early Christian history as a religious day, as we learn from the Christian Fathers and other sources. But what a pity that it comes branded with the MARK of paganism, and christened with the name of the sun god, when adopted and sanctioned by the papal apostasy, and bequeathed as a sacred legacy to Protestantism! “-DR. EDWARD T. HISCOX, author of “The Baptist Manual,” in a paper read before a New York ministers' conference held Nov. 13, 1893.
    “We believe that the law of God is the eternal and unchangeable rule of His moral government.”-“Baptist Church Manual,” Art. 12.

Churches of Christ

“There is no direct Scriptural authority for designating the first day the Lord's day.”-DR. D. H. LUCAS, Christian Oracle, Jan. 23, 1890.
    “The first day of the week is commonly called the Sabbath. This is a mistake. The Sabbath of the Bible was the day just preceding the first day of the week. The first day of the week is never called the Sabbath anywhere in the entire Scriptures. It is also an error to talk about the change of the Sabbath. There never was any change of the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. There is not in any place in the Bible any intimation of such a change.”-“First-Day Observance,” pages 17, 19.
    “Not any ecclesiastical writer of the first three centuries attributed the origin of Sunday observance either to Christ or to His apostles
    .”-SIR WILLIAM DOMVILLE, “Examination of the Six Texts,” pages 6, 7. (Supplement).
    “Is there any command in the New Testament to change the day of weekly rest from Saturday to Sunday? None.”-“Manual of Christian Doctrine,” page 127.
    “Where are we told in Scripture that we are to keep the first day at all? We are commanded to keep the seventh; but we are nowhere commanded to keep the first day…. The reason why we keep the first day of the week holy instead of the seventh is for the same reason that we observe many other things, not because the Bible, but because the church has enjoined it.”-ISAAC WILLIAMS, B.D., “Plain Sermons on the Catechism,” Vol. I, pages 334-336.
    There is no injunction in the whole of the New Testament to Christians to change the Sabbath into Sunday.' – D. MORSEBOYCOTT, Daily Herald, London, Feb. 26, 1931.

CONGREGATIONALIST

“It must be confessed that there is no law in the New Testament concerning the first day.”-Buck's Theological Dictionary page 403.
    “There is no command in the Bible requiring us to observe the first day of the week as the Christian Sabbath.”-ORIN FOWLER, A.M., “Mode and Subjects of Baptism.””The current notion that Christ and His apostles authoritatively substituted the first day for the seventh, is absolutely without any authority in the New Testament.”-DR. LYMAN ABBOTT, Christian Union, Jan. 18, 1882.
    “It is quite clear that, however rigidly or devoutly we may spend Sunday, we are not keeping the Sabbath. …The Sabbath was founded on a specific, divine command. We can plead no such command for the observance of Sunday…. There is not a single sentence in the New Testament to suggest that we incur any penalty by violating the supposed sanctity of Sunday.”-“The Ten Commandments,” R. W. Dale, D.D., pages 106, 107.

LUTHERAN

“They [the Catholics] allege the Sabbath changed into Sunday, the Lord's day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it appears, neither is there any example more boasted of than the changing of the Sabbath day. Great, say they, is the power and authority of the church, since it dispensed with one of the Ten Commandments.” -Augsburg Confession of Faith, Art. 28, par. 9.
    “The festival of Sunday, like all other festivals, was always only a human ordinance.”- AUGUSTUS NEANDER, “History of the Christian Religion and Church,” Vol. 1, page 186.

METHODIST

“This 'handwriting of ordinances' our Lord did blot out, take away, and nail to His cross. (Colossians 2: 14.) But the moral law contained in the Ten Commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He did not take away…. The moral law stands on an entirely different foundation from the ceremonial or ritual law. …Every part of this law must remain in force upon all mankind and in all ages.”-JOHN WESLEY, “Sermons on Several Occasions,” 2-Vol. Edition, Vol. I, pages 221, 222.
    “The reason we observe the first day instead of the seventh is based on no positive command. One will search the Scriptures in vain for authority for changing from the seventh day to the first. The early Christians began to worship on the first day of the week because Jesus rose from the dead on that day. By and by, this day of worship was made also a day of rest, a legal holiday. This took place in the year 321.
    “Our Christian Sabbath, therefore, is not a matter of positive command. It is a gift of the church.”-CLOVIS G. CHAPPELL, “Ten Rules for Living,” page 61.
    MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE

“The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word 'remember,' showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote the law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?”- D.L. MOODY, “Weighed and Wanting,” page 47.
    “I honestly believe that this commandment [the fourth, or Sabbath commandment] is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. 'The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath.' It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was-in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.' – Id., page 46.
    MORMON

“The Sabbath was to be a perpetual covenant between the Lord and the children of Israel. 'Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant' (verse 16). In verse 17 they are commanded to observe it as a sign that they remember that the Lord made heaven and earth, and rested on the seventh day.
    “In these quotations from Exodus 31, and in the Decalogue the most positive and weighty reasons are given by the Lord to the fathers of the house of Israel, for keeping the Sabbath day. The obligation is evidently as binding upon the Latter-day Saints as it was upon their fathers, and they in like manner will reap the reward of obedience.”-FRANKLIN D. RICHARDS AND JAMES A. LITTLE, “A Compendium of the Doctrines of the Gospel,” page 226.

PRESBYTERIAN

“The Sabbath is a part of the Decalogue-the Ten Commandments. This alone for ever settles the question as to the perpetuity of the institution…Until, therefore, it can be shown that the whole moral law has been repealed, the Sabbath will stand…The teaching of Christ confirms the perpetuity of the Sabbath.”- T.C. BLAKE, D.D., “Theology Condensed,” pages 474, 475.
    “God instituted the Sabbath at the creation of man, setting apart the seventh day for the purpose, and imposed its observance as a universal and perpetual moral obligation upon the race.” American Presbyterian Board of Publication, Tract No. 175.
    “The observance of the seventh-day Sabbath did not cease till it was abolished after the [Roman] empire became Christian,” American Presbyterian Board of Publication, Tract No. 118.
    DICTIONARIES

“The notion of a formal substitution by apostolic authority of the Lord's day [meaning Sunday] for the Jewish Sabbath [or the first for the seventh day]…and the transference to it, perhaps in a spiritualized form, of the sabbatical obligation established by the promulgation of the fourth commandment, has no basis whatever, either in Holy Scripture or in Christian antiquity.” – SIR WILLIAM SMITH AND SAMUEL CHEETHAM, “A Dictionary of Christian Antiquities,” Vol. 11, page 182, Article “Sabbath.”
    ENCYCLOPAEDIAS

“It must be confessed that there is no law in the New Testament concerning the first day.”-M'CLINTOCK AND STRONG, Cyclopedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, Vol. IX, page 196.
    “Sunday (Dies Solis, of the Roman calendar, 'day of the sun,' because dedicated to the sun), the first day of the week, was adopted by the early Christians as a day of worship. The 'sun' of Latin adoration they interpreted as the 'Sun of Righteousness.' . . . No regulations for its observance are laid down in the New Testament, nor, indeed, is its observance even enjoined.”-SCHAFF HERZOG, Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, 1891 Edition, Vol. IV, Art. “Sunday.”

HISTORICAL

“Bear in mind that the substitution [of the first for the seventh day] was not a coerced happening; it could not be a sudden, but only a very slow development, probably never anticipated, never even designed or put into shape by those chiefly interested, but creeping almost unconsciously into being.”-WILLIAM B. DANA, “A Day of Rest and Worship,” page 174.
    Eusebius, fourth-century bishop and friend of the wicked Emperor Constantine, whose Sunday law is the first on record, flatly says: “All things, whatsoever that it was duty to do on the Sabbath, these we have transferred to the Lord's day [as they had begun to call Sunday].” – &#
    39;Commentary on the Psalms.'
    “Opposition to Judaism introduced the particular festival of Sunday very early, indeed, into the place of the Sabbath…The festival of Sunday, like all other festivals, was always only a human ordinance, and it was far from the intentions of the apostles to establish a divine command in this respect, far from them, and from the early apostolic church, to transfer the laws of the Sabbath to Sunday. Perhaps, at the end of the second century a false application of this kind had begun to take place; for men appear by that time to have considered labouring on Sunday as a sin.”-AUGUSTUS NEANDER, “General History of the Christian Religion and Church” (Rose's translation), Vol. 1, page 186.
    CONCLUSION
    The testimony from the leading denominations and evidence gathered from dependable secular sources is presented for your consideration. All of the statements consistently testify that it was the church in apostasy that tampered with the holy law of an unchangeable God. Centuries before the Christian Era the prophet of the Lord had prophesied:
    “He shall speak great words against the most High. . . . and think to change times and laws.” (Daniel 7:25).
    To the Christian church, God entrusted great authority, but no man nor organization of men has ever been given divine authority to tamper with the ten foundation pillars of the government of God. And He Himself has made it plain that they are forever established by His everlasting covenant whereby He promises to write His laws in the minds and hearts of men (Hebrews 8:10).
    “According to Catholic teaching, the only 'bondage' to which human wills are subject is the moral law which emanates from God Almighty Himself. The Church, as God's agent, may not tamper with that law.”- Our Sunday Visitor, July 13, 1947, page 129.
    “Man is a creature. As a creature, he is subject to his Creator in all that he does. God's will has … a bearing on everything that touches human rights and duties. No state, no group of educators, may reject a truth of the moral order to suit the claim of convenience.' – Pronouncement of Roman Catholic bishops as reported in Time, Nov. 26, 1951, page 21.
    But the so-called Christian world has tampered with God's law and rejected a truth of the ten great moral principles enunciated in the eternal law reiterated on Sinai by the voice of God and written by His finger.
    “For up to this day mankind has absolutely trifled with the original and most specific revelation of the holy God, the ten words written upon the tables of the law from Sinai.”-“Crown Theological Library,” page 178. (Lutheran).
    The world unrest, the disregard for law and order, and the immorality of our day may be charged directly to the brazen attempts of the created to meddle with the government of the Creator. This is the testimony of Holy Scripture:
    “The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant. Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth.” (Isaiah 24: 5, 6).
    “To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.” (Isaiah 8: 20).
    We encourage you to read these facts prayerfully? And as you do so, bare your own soul before God while you make your decision with the apostles of the early church to “obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29). May God lead you to loving obedience, your token of love and the outward sign of inward sanctification. Remember that Jesus declared: “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.” (Matthew 5:17).
    His earthly mission was to save men from the transgression of the law, not to change it. Concerning Christ's first advent the prophet had declared:
    “He will magnify the law, and make it honourable.” (Isaiah 42:21).
    Will you not “walk even as He walked”? 1 John 2:6. Our Saviour said, “I have kept My Father's commandments.” (John 15:10).
    May God bless you as you consider this vital doctrine of the Bible and choose to follow Him.

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 847 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account