Is it wrong for women to be preachers yes or no?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Oneway 2be saved
    Participant

I have read several verses in the bible that discourage women from preaching or being leaders in a church. Let me know what you think.

Oneway 2be saved
    Participant

Any particular reason why no one has replied to my topic?

Sultan
    Participant

Yes.

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (Oneway2besaved @ June 12 2006,07:59)
    I have read several verses in the bible that discourage women from preaching or being leaders in a church.  Let me know what you think.

Hi OW2BS:

Mary Magdalene and the other women in Jesus' lives were the first to preach or tell the news that he had risen.

Also, the Samaritan woman at the well, went and preached Christ to her community.  

Priscilla and her husband were also working together to teach Appollos deeper things in the faith.

In the Old Testament, Deborah was the judge and ruler of Israel in her time.

So we need to look again and try and understand what Paul is saying.  No question though that man is the head of a woman.  

• John 4:28 The woman then left her waterpot, went her way into the city, and said to the men, 29 “Come, see a Man who told me all things that I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” 30 Then they went out of the city and came to Him….
  • 39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed in Him because of the word of the woman who testified, “He told me all that I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans had come to Him, they urged Him to stay with them; and He stayed there two days. 41 And many more believed because of His own word.
    42 Then they said to the woman, “Now we believe, not because of what you said, for we ourselves have heard Him and we know that this is indeed *the Christ, the Savior of the world.”
  • Matt 28:5 But the angel answered and said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here; for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. 7 And go quickly and tell His disciples that He is risen from the dead, and indeed He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him. Behold, I have told you.”
    8 So they went out quickly from the tomb with fear and great joy, and ran to bring His disciples word.
    The Women Worship the Risen Lord
    9 And *as they went to tell His disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, “Rejoice!” So they came and held Him by the feet and worshiped Him. 10 [/B]Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell My brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see Me.”
  • Act 18:26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto [them], and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.
  • Jdg 4:4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
  • We know that Deborah and Priscilla were married women, that the Samaritan woman had been married 5 times and was not married to her current partner at the time. Mary Magdalene appeared to have not been married and she spent a lot of time with the family of Jesus.

Cubes
Participant

Very good to see you again, Sultan!

NickHassan
Participant

Hi,
1Tim 212
“But I do not allow a woman to TEACH or HAVE AUTHORITY OVER A MAN..”
Nothing about preaching here.

david
Participant

What Nick said.

Also,
Women, spoken of as “daughters” and “women slaves” in Joel’s prophecy, were among those receiving the gifts of holy spirit on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. From that day forward the Christian women who were favored with these gifts talked in foreign tongues that they had not understood before, and they ‘prophesied,’ not necessarily making predictions of important future events, but speaking forth Bible truths.—Joe 2:28, 29; Ac 1:13-15; 2:1-4, 13-18

Their speaking about Bible truths to others was not to be limited to fellow believers. Before his ascension to heaven, Jesus had told his followers: “You will receive power when the holy spirit arrives upon you, and you will be witnesses of me both in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth.” (Ac 1:8) Thereafter, on the day of Pentecost 33 C.E., when holy spirit was poured out upon them, the entire group of some 120 disciples (including some women) were empowered as his witnesses (Ac 1:14, 15; 2:3, 4); and the prophecy of Joel (2:28, 29) quoted by Peter on that occasion included reference to such women. So they were numbered among those who bore the responsibility to be witnesses of Jesus “in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the most distant part of the earth.” Consistent with that, the apostle Paul later reported that Euodia and Syntyche, in Philippi, had “striven side by side with [him] in the good news”; and Luke mentioned Priscilla as sharing with her husband Aquila in ‘expounding the way of God’ in Ephesus.—Php 4:2, 3; Ac 18:26.

So it seems women are to preach.

But being “leaders” or rather, taking the lead is another matter.

There were congregational meetings when these women could pray or prophesy, provided they wore a head covering. (1Co 11:3-16) However, at what were evidently public meetings, when “the whole congregation” as well as “unbelievers” assembled in one place (1Co 14:23-25), women were to “keep silent.” If ‘they wanted to learn something, they could question their own husbands at home, for it was disgraceful for a woman to speak in a congregation.’—1Co 14:31-35.

While not permitted to teach in congregational assembly, a woman could teach persons outside the congregation who desired to learn the truth of the Bible and the good news about Jesus Christ (compare Ps 68:11), as well as be a ‘teacher of what is good’ to younger women (and children) within the congregation. (Tit 2:3-5) But she was not to exercise authority over a man or dispute with men, as, for example, in the meetings of the congregation. She was to remember what happened to Eve and how God expressed the matter of woman’s position after Adam and Eve had sinned.—1Ti 2:11-14; Ge 3:16.

Men serve as overseers, ministerial servants. In the discussion of “gifts in men” given by Christ to the congregation, there is no mention of women. The words “apostles,” “prophets,” “evangelizers,” “shepherds,” and “teachers” are all in the masculine gender. (Eph 4:8, 11) Ephesians 4:11 is rendered by the American Translation: “And he has given us some men as apostles, some as prophets, some as missionaries, some as pastors and teachers.”—Compare Mo, NW; also Ps 68:18.

In full accord with this, when the apostle Paul wrote to Timothy about the qualifications for the service positions of “overseers” (e·pi´sko·poi), who were also “older men” (pre·sby´te·roi), and of “ministerial servants” (di·a´ko·noi) in the congregation, he specifically states that they must be men and, if married, ‘the husband of one wife.’ No discussion by any of the apostles discusses any office of “deaconess” (di·a·ko´nis·sa).—1Ti 3:1-13; Tit 1:5-9; compare Ac 20:17, 28; Php 1:1.

Although Phoebe is mentioned (Ro 16:1) as a “minister” (di·a´ko·nos, without the Greek definite article), it is evident that she was not an appointed female ministerial servant in the congregation, because the Scriptures make no provision for such. The apostle did not tell the congregation to receive instructions from her but, rather, to receive her well and to ‘assist her in any matter where she might need them.’ (Ro 16:2) Paul’s reference to her as a minister evidently has something to do with her activity in the spreading of the good news, and he was speaking of Phoebe as a female minister who was associated with the congregation in Cenchreae.—Compare Ac 2:17, 18.

david.

Sultan
Participant

Quote (Cubes @ June 12 2006,10:46)
Very good to see you again, Sultan!

Great to be back. Thanks.

NickHassan
Participant

amen and welcome

NickHassan
Participant

Hi debra,
You may be interested in this thread.

Debra
Participant

Hi Onewaytobesaved.
This topic has caused confusion for me over the years.I'ts been an issue in my household, my husband dosn't believe women should preach in church, it's ok for us to do all the other stuff just not preach. He stands firm in this, he left the church we were both attending, because the pastor was a women. I personally don't think it's wrong for a woman to preach, I've read supporting scriptures given to me, and I came to the conclusion that what does it matter if the person up the front is a woman or man as long as the preaching is sound. If the women is married with young children, I don't think a preaching position in the church is wise, there are other jobs in the body women can do that arn't quite as demanding of her time. So I think it's one of those issues where there will always be division. The pastor of my church has been put through hell by a group of men who couldn't handle a women up front, that group has since left the church. I've seen first hand how having a woman in a preaching role can cause such division and heartache, but her love of the Lord and faith in Him carried her the whole time, we as a church although our numbers are low, are a blessing to our community, because our preacher is loving and compassionate, and she encourages us to be involved in God's work. There are jobs in the body that are much better suited to women than men, but some men like to cook and serve the weekly free lunch, it dosn't matter who cooks the food for the body as long as the people are fed. I know some might see this as a direct dissobedience. Would love to chat more but must get to work. God bless.

NickHassan
Participant

Hi debra,
David said
“Men serve as overseers, ministerial servants. In the discussion of “gifts in men” given by Christ to the congregation, there is no mention of women. The words “apostles,” “prophets,” “evangelizers,” “shepherds,” and “teachers” are all in the masculine gender. (Eph 4:8, 11) Ephesians 4:11 is rendered by the American Translation: “And he has given us some men as apostles, some as prophets, some as missionaries, some as pastors and teachers.”—Compare Mo, NW; also Ps 68:18.”
But there were also prophetesses
Acts 21
“8And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him.

9And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.”

It is more important to make sure each individual is standing on the rock. Man's way is to look up to a human leader but none replaces Christ and the other gifted members who all have roles. Pastors are not greater than other sheep, but they have certain different responsibilities.

Debra
Participant

Hi Nick,
I just posted a reply on another thread you told me about, in answer to Jill. I'm a bit all at sea with this forum, it will take me some time to get the hang of answering in the right posts.
I've been asking for some meat.
. Praise God.

NickHassan
Participant

HI,
It does not say that women should not preach.
Women are to have some teaching roles.

Titus 2:3
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

Titus 2:4
That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

But not over men in Paul's view.
1 Timothy 2:12
But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

KangarooJack
Participant

Quote (Debra @ Sep. 27 2006,09:43)
Hi Onewaytobesaved.
This topic has caused  confusion for me over the years.I'ts been an issue in my household, my husband dosn't believe women should preach in church, it's ok for us to do all the other stuff just not preach. He stands firm in this, he left the church we were both attending, because the pastor was a women. I personally  don't think it's wrong for a woman to preach, I've read  supporting scriptures  given to me, and I came to the conclusion that what does it matter if the person up the front is a woman or man as long as the preaching is sound. If the women is married with young children, I don't think a preaching position in the church is wise, there are other jobs in the body women can do that arn't quite as demanding of her time. So I think it's one of those issues where there will always be division. The pastor of my church has been put through hell by a group of men who  couldn't handle a women up front, that group has since left the church. I've seen first hand how having a woman in a preaching role can cause such division and heartache, but her love of the Lord and faith in Him carried her the whole time, we as a  church although our numbers are low, are a blessing to our community, because our preacher is loving and compassionate, and she encourages us to be involved in God's work. There are jobs in the body that are much better suited to women than men, but some men like to cook and serve the weekly free lunch, it dosn't matter who cooks the food for the body as long as the people are fed. I know some  might see this as a direct dissobedience. Would love to chat more but must get to work. God bless.

The old covenant law was still in effect when Paul gave those commands to women to be silent in the church and that they were under the authority of men.

We're not under the old covenant now. But you will discover that people like Nick want to keep us under the old covenant.

thinker (male)

NickHassan
Participant

Hi TT,
Your timing is wrong again.
The Spirit of the new covenant had been poured out

KangarooJack
Participant

Quote (Oneway2besaved @ June 12 2006,13:59)
I have read several verses in the bible that discourage women from preaching or being leaders in a church.  Let me know what you think.

Those statements that discouraged women from preaching were written while the church was still under the old covenant. Under God's new covenant women are on equal ground in all things with men.

thinker

dirtyknections
Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Feb. 21 2009,02:43)

Those statements that discouraged women from preaching were written while the church was still under the old covenant. Under God's new covenant women are on equal ground in all things with men.

thinker

Please show this with scripture

KangarooJack
Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ Feb. 21 2009,02:49)

Quote (thethinker @ Feb. 21 2009,02:43)

thinker

Please show this with scripture

dk,
The law permitted only that the husband could divorce the woman (Rom.7:1; 1 Cor. 7:39). There was no provision for the woman to divorce the husband. So if we are under the law today then women can't divorce the husband. Paul said that the woman must keep silent as the law says (1 Cor. 14:34). So if we are still under the law then women must be silent and they cannot divorce their husbands. This doesn't ring true now does it?

We are under grace. A woman has both the equal right to divorce as well as to preach.

thinker

TimothyVI
Participant

Hi thethinker,
I don't think anyone is arguing that we are under the old covenent, the point is that neither was Paul
when he said what he said.

Tim

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account