Is Christmas Biblical

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

You have not yet explained why you are righteous in how you approach christmas and others are evil so far

I have never stated this, so why would I explain it?

? Nick, you often say misleading things. Why is that?

nd since this is a prime teaching of the JWs you must have answers written somewhere.

Wrong again.. Man, you're having a bad day. Much like you wrongly believe we sit around talking about how Michael is Jesus, this is not a “prime” teaching. It's one that comes up a lot during Christmas time because it's highly noticable that we are different, and separate from the world at this time.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    It is harder for us to understand you if you jump on people in judgement and are not willing to back it up with your view of righteousness. If you cannot explain your actions is it really wise to take the high moral ground on matters you seem to have no true grasp of?

david
    Participant

Nick. I dont remember taking any high moral ground. As far as me “back up [my] view of righteousness,” I will give you the bible's view of syncretism, a word you early seemed to deny every using:

1 CORINTHIANS 10:20-22
    “I say that the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God, and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of ‘the table of Jehovah’ and the table of demons. Or ‘are we inciting Jehovah to jealousy’? We are not stronger than he is, are we?”
    2 CORINTHIANS 6:14-17
    “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Béli·al? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’””

Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 10 2007,08:41)
    Nick.  I dont remember taking any high moral ground.  As far as me “back up [my] view of righteousness,” I will give you the bible's view of syncretism, a word you early seemed to deny every using:

1 CORINTHIANS 10:20-22
    “I say that the things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God, and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of ‘the table of Jehovah’ and the table of demons. Or ‘are we inciting Jehovah to jealousy’? We are not stronger than he is, are we?”
    2 CORINTHIANS 6:14-17
    “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Béli·al? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I shall reside among them and walk among [them], and I shall be their God, and they will be my people.” “‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’”; “‘and I will take YOU in.’””

Hi David:

All of us on the forum know that you and the JWs believe that celebrating Christmas and Easter is wrong as you have made your point, and so if you believe this then don't celebrate these or any other holidays.  I personally would not want you or any one else to do any thing that is against your conscience.

However, there are those of us who do not share your views on this matter and perhaps other matters as well.  Nevertheless, it is good that we can discuss our differences.  Of course, either of us can be wrong on something that what we believe to be right, but ultimately, we are accountable to God for what we do or don't do.  You have made your point about the holidays in question and I believe that you are striving to obey God.  As I said, you are accountable to him.

You use 1 Co. 10:22 & 2 Co. 6:14-17 to support your views.  My understanding of 1 Co. 10:22 is that Paul is continuing to teach about idolatry.  This is a continuation of his teaching in 1 Co. 8:1-4 about eating those things that are sacrificed unto idols.  We know that if we worship any thing other than God it is idolatry.  “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers would mean to me that if I am a Christian I would not want to marry someone who is not a Christian for example or I would not want to do the things that unbelievers do.  Galatians 5:19 states: “Now the works of the flesh are manifest which are these: Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkeness, revellings, and such like: of which I have told you in time past that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God”.

Well to me every day is Christmas because I celebrate the birth of my Lord every day, and not only his birth but his whole life, and death an resurrection, and the life that he lives now at the right hand of God our Father.

My prayer to God for you and your family is that he would bless you in all areas of your life.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Christmas is out but celebrating the death of Jesus is a popular theme.
    From their website
    'More than 14 million attended the 1999 annual commemoration of Christ's death, the religion's most sacred observance”
    ???

david
    Participant

I could look up the word “commemoration” for you if you like.

Commemorate, Nick, means to “honor the memory of” something.

I guess honoring the memory of Christ's death is a horrifically bad thing in your mind. “Let's not remember it,” hey Nick.

“Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”–Jesus.

(It's probably closer to 20 million in recent years.)

Nick, I would actually like to know precisely where you got this quote from. Could you provide a link?

charity
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 13 2007,22:38)
    I could look up the word “commemoration” for you if you like.  

Commemorate, Nick, means to “honor the memory of” something.

I guess honoring the memory of Christ's death is a horrifically bad thing in your mind.  “Let's not remember it,” hey Nick.

“Keep doing this in remembrance of me.”–Jesus.

(It's probably closer to 20 million in recent years.)

Nick, I would actually like to know precisely where you got this quote from.  Could you provide a link?

Hi david
    Denomination has caused this grief among us
    It seeks to separate us so often

Giving thanks for the spirit of peace

Psa 122:1 ¶ [[A Song of degrees of David.]] I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
    Psa 122:2 Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem.
    Psa 122:3 Jerusalem is builded as a city that is compact together:
    Psa 122:4 Whither the tribes go up, the tribes of the LORD, unto the testimony of Israel, to give thanks unto the name of the LORD.
    Psa 122:5 For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David.
    Psa 122:6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
    Psa 122:7 Peace be within thy walls, [and] prosperity within thy palaces.
    Psa 122:8 For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace [be] within thee.
    Psa 122:9 Because of the house of the LORD our God I will seek thy good.

I THINK OF US TRIBES
    Not denominations
    The hearts are towards God
    Who is setting us against each other that we may not all come together?

charity

NickHassan
    Participant

With pleasure david,
    http://www.jw-media.org/

david
    Participant

Thanks Nick. I was able to find where you had quoted about our beliefs (really, some of our beliefs).
    But I'm wondering where the quote came from about the “1999” commemoration (which means “remembering with honor”). I'm certain what you said is on the site. I just would like to know where.

Thankyou.

NickHassan
    Participant
    charity
    Participant

Do any of these sites help towards A mans adoption to wit
    The walk from corruption to incorruptible
    I long for the day when the woman and children can safely rest in the shadow of the Sons of God
    burden free
    Blessed God head

2Cr 5:4 For we that are in [this] tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
    2Cr 5:5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing [is] God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.
    2Cr 5:6 Therefore [we are] always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
    2Cr 5:7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
    2Cr 5:8 We are confident, , and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    All denominations are a the fruit of one man.
    That man is not the man from heaven.

charity
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 14 2007,01:05)
    Hi charity,
    All denominations are a the fruit of one man.
    That man is not the man from heaven.

Perhaps principalities powers and evil force are found within to be conquered
    7 churches of revelations he that shall overcome inherits
    And then may Satan be consumed by fire once each has conquered there beast?
    These things I referee to the individual soul
    Not as a battle of a day but yet It will be a day
    Whilst we are given life to conquer these things we should do well to observe the width of judgment

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi charity,
    Principalities and powers are above in the heavenly realms.

Eph 6
    '10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. '

jeff
    Participant

Christian, Pagan mix
    The so-called ‘Edict of Milan’, by which the Roman Empire reversed its policy of hostility to Christianity and accorded it full legal recognition was one of the decisive events in world history. Yet the story behind it is complicated and in some ways mysterious. Christian apologists at the time and later portrayed it as the consequence of Constantine’s own conversion, itself portrayed it as the consequence of Constantine’s own conversion, itself brought about by the miraculous intervention of God before the Battle of the Maxentius. This was the story Constantine liked to tell himself, later in life. Bishop Eusebius, who informs us gloatingly that he was ‘honored wit the Emperor’s acquaintance and society’, says he heard from Constantine’s own lips that ‘a most incredible sign appeared to him from heaven.’ But there is a conflict of evidence about the exact time, place and details of this vision, and there is some doubt about the magnitude of Constantine’s change of ideas. His father had been pro-Christian. He himself appears to have been a sun whorshipper, one of a number of late-pagan cults which had observances in common with the Christians. Thus the followers of Isis adored a modonna nursing her holy child’ the cult of Attis and Cybele celebrated a day of blood and fasting, followed by the Hilaria resurrection-feast, a day of joy, on 25 March; the elitist Mithraics, many of whom were senior army officers, ate a sacred meal. (Easter)
    Constantine was almost certainly a Mithraic, and his triumphal arch, built after his ’conversion’, testifies to the Sun-god, or ’unconquered and their own. They referred to Christ ’driving his chariot across the sky’; they held their services on Sunday (Sunday worship), knelt towards the East and had their nativity feast on 25 December, the birthday of the sun at the winter solstice. ( Christ mass)
    During the apostasize because of this confusion; the Bishop of Troy told Julian he had always prayed secretly to the sun. Constantine never abandoned sun-worship and kept the sun on his coins. He made Sunday into a day of rest, closing the law courts and forbidding all work except agricultural labour. In his new city of Constantinople, he set up a statue of the sun-god, bearing his own features, in the Forum; and another of the mother-goddess Cybele, through she was presented in a posture of Christian prayer.
    Ref: “A History of Christianity”
    By: Paul Johnson

jeff
    Participant

Attis Christ of pagens

Attis was the consort of Cybele, the great mother goddess of Phrygia in Asia Minor. A vegetation god, he was sometimes known as Papas, or “Father”. One of the oldest stories concerning the birth of Attis tells how the hermaphrodite AGDISTIS fell asleep, whereupon the gods tied it sgenital to a tree. Agdistis awoke with a start, and the severed genitals fell to the ground. An almond tree grew up on the spot, and in due course Nana, the daughter of the river god, became pregnant by one of its fruits. The girl eventually gave birth to Attis. Other legends say that the god was a foundling or the son of a king.

The best-known story of Attis is that in which his desperate love for Cybele drive him insane, leading him to castrate himself under a pine tree. Flowers and trees grew up on from his blood. Although he died, the god was reborn and united with Cybele.

The cult of Cybele spread to Greece and Rome, and with it, that of Attis. Cybele was said to have fallen in love with Attis, who was regarded as a handsome young shepherd. She chose him as her priest and imposed a vow of chasity upon him. However, Attis fell in love with a river nymph, so Cybele caused him to suffer a fit of madness, during which he mulated himself. When the god recovered, he was about to kill himself when Cybele changed him into a fir tree. In another version of the story, Attis was gored to death by a boar sent by Zeus.

Each spring, at the end of March, a five-day festival was held in honour of Attis. The first day was one of mourning. The god, represented by a sacred fir tree taken from the grove near Cybele’s temple, was bound with bandages, decorated with ribbons and flowers, and carried through the streets (Modern day Christmas tree). On the second day, Cybel’s priests preformed frenzied dances, and on the third day they castrated themselves, sprinkling the altar and effigy of Attis with their blood. The fourth day was that on which the resurrection of Attis was celebrated. The fifth day was on of rest. A ritual marriage between Cybele and Attis formed part of the ceremony, with Cybel’s high priest taking the role of the god.

The Romans generally represented Attis as a shepherd, usually holding a shepherd’s crook and sometimes carrying a sheep on his shoulders (This was to merge Jesus with Attis) . He plays a pipe and wears a pointed cap on his head. The rays of the sun, or ears of corn, protrude form the cap, symbolizing his function as a god of regeneration and rebirth..
    This was taken from Encyclopedia of Mythology with my additions in ()

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

Not3in1
    Participant

Thanks, Nick.

How difficult would it be to stop celebrating Christmas when you have raised your kids to honor Christ on this day? True, we are to honor Christ on every day…..but birthdays are special! :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    It is not his birthday.

Not3in1
    Participant

The rest of the world thinks it is – including my kids!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account