Idealism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

I promised in another post that I would quote a text I read regarding pride. But I have decided to start this discussion instead as it is really about idealism.

I will quote the text in the next post.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Idealism is one of the most deceptive and destructive disguises of the religious spirit. Idealism is of human origin, and a form of humanism. Although it has the appearance of seeking only the highest standards and the preservation of God's glory, idealism is possibly the most deadly enemy of true revelation and true grace. It is deadly because it does not allow for growing up into grace and wisdom, but attacks and destroys the foundation of those who are in pursuit of God's glory, but are not there yet.

Idealism makes us try and impose on others standards that are beyond what God has required or given the grace for at that time. For example, men controlled by this kind of religious spirit may condemn those who are not praying 2 hours a day as they are. The truth is that it may be God's will for us to be praying that much, but how we get there is crucial. The grace of God may first call us to pray just ten minutes a day. Then as we become so blessed by his presence, we will want to spend more and more time with him until we will not want to quit after ten minutes, then an hour, then two. When we eventually are praying two hours a day, it will be because of our love for the prayer and the presence of the Lord, not out of fear or pride.

A person with a religious spirit based on idealism wll usually seek the perfect church, and will refuse to be part of anything less. Those led by the Holy Spirit may also have high hopes for a church, but will still be able to give themselves in service to even some of the lowliest works, in order to help those works grow in vision and maturity. The Holy Spirit is called “the Helper” (see John 14:26), and those who are truly led by the Spirit will always be looking for ways to help, not just to stand aloof and criticize.

When a relgious spirit is founded upon by pride, it is evidenced by perfectionism. The perfectionist sees everything as black and white. This develops into extremes, requiring that every person and every teaching be judged as 100 percent right or wrong. This is a standard with which only Jesus could comply; it will lead to serious delusion when we impose it on ourselves or others. True grace imparts a truth that sets people free, showing them the way out of their sin, and beconing them to higher levels of spiritual maturity.

One with a religious spirit can usually point to problems with great accuracy, but seldom has solutions except to tear down what has already been built. This is the strategy of the enemy to nullify progress that is being made and to sow a discouragement that will limit future progress.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Do you agree or disagree?

blessings on your storehouse t8,

I agree with you t8, reminds me of the when Messiah speaks of planting seed (ref: mark 4/3, mat 13/7), i do disagree with doing so in fear though, we work our salvation out with fear and trembling (phil 2/12), Serve Yah with fear, rejoice with trembling (teh/psa 2/11)

much love

Not3in1
    Participant

Hmmmm…..good stuff to ponder here.

I'm heading to bed early tonight, but I will definitely come back and look at this again.

Thanks, t8.
    Mandy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account