I know we can eat meat but can we eat pork?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 183 total)
  • Author

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 03 2009,22:27)
    Hi CON,
    Food neither improves nor interferes with the relationship between us and our God.

Then these posts should not bother you, should they? If food means absolutly nothing, then you should not waste your time with me.

Mark 7:15

What then of these words of Jesus?

There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

This texts simply points to a higher level of defilement, the human mind.

Filth on the clothes and the skin are not as bad as filth in the stomach.

Still worse is the filth in the mind.

And worst of all is the unclean Spirit of Satan who roams this world and at the least excuse will pollute the unsuspecting human soul.

Unclean animals and birds (snakes, dogs, vultures, bats etc.) symbolise Satan and his unbelieving followers; just as clean animals and birds (the ram, the lamb, the kid, the deer and the dove) symbolise God, His Son and the Holy Ghost.

Knowingly eating unclean foods is insulting the Most High.

It is not only blatant disobedience, but is tantamount to saying: 'I am going to partake of unclean meats even though I know they symbolise Satan and his filthy lifestyle.'

This is an extremely dangerous stand to take.

Acts 10:9-16
    Another misunderstood passage is found in the book of Acts. I quote:

Acts 10:
    9: On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    10: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
    11: And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
    12: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    13: And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14: But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15: And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
    16: This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

In this experience the Almighty is teaching Peter, and all who later read the chapter, a great spiritual truth: that true believers in the Most High – of whatever nation, who were previously regarded as 'unclean dogs,' are now totally acceptable to God.

Their previous unbelief had made them unclean: they were then likened unto dogs, pigs and snakes in the Almighty's eyes.

But, because of their new-found faith in the Messiah they are now clean.

They are now clean and wholly acceptable to the Most High and should also be accepted and welcomed by every strict Jew.

Believing Gentiles, in other words, are now part of God's flock.

They are His sheep.

They are no longer to be regarded as dogs, swine or other unclean beasts.

Because of their faith in Yeshua (Jesus) they have been cleansed through and through by God Himself and are now clean and holy.

This symbolic drama on the rooftop was given to teach the Apostle Peter and subsequent generations of Christians that faith in Jesus the Messiah purifies the vilest sinner, no matter from what nation he/she comes.

This passage is not to be taken as a lifting of the divine ban against eating unclean animals.

Reptiles, dogs, cats, mice, swine, rabbits, shell fish, lobsters, prawns etc. are still unclean for human consumption.

They should not be eaten.

These unclean creatures symbolise unbelief: and unbelief pollutes a person, it makes him/her unclean.

I repeat, unclean creatures are still unclean: just as unbelievers remain unbelievers until such time as genuine faith in God purges their uncleanness.

Because of these facts unclean meats should not be eaten;
    especially in view of the coming Day of Judgement.

Remember the divine warning:

“They that sanctify themselves and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.”

According to the Scriptures, believers are allowed to eat the flesh (but not the blood or the fat) of clean animals: animals that chew the cud and are cloven footed.

Clean animals include cattle, sheep, goats and deer.

Animals such as the pig, the horse, the rabbit, the mouse and the snake are unclean.

They do not have those two qualifying points.

Fish which have scales and fins are clean.

Shell fish are unclean.

Birds of prey are unclean.

See Leviticus 11 for further details.

When an unbeliever, of whatever race, accepts the Saviour and is washed in his cleansing blood, he/she then becomes clean and is henceforth acceptable to Yahweh the Almighty God of Israel.

Cornelius the Gentile became a believer, and was cleansed through his faith in the Saviour's blood.

Cornelius became clean and was acceptable to the Most High.

That was the lesson God was teaching Peter in the experience recorded in Acts 10.

In no way was the Almighty reversing His law regarding clean and unclean animals.

Unclean animals are still unclean.

Dogs, cats, pigs, rabbits, rats and mice have not been cleansed.

They are still unclean animals: and eating their flesh will bring down judgement on the eater.

kerwin
    Participant

Beloved,

It depends on whether or not you are a member of the 12 Tribes of Israel who refers to themselves as such.  I read the dietary laws as they are written in Leviticus 11 and they are addressed to the descendants of Israel.  I saw nowhere where the Gentiles are commanded to keep these laws.  I believe they are on of those Jewish customs established by God to separate the children of Israel from the nations.  It would therefore be deceptive to claim to be such while not following their ways.

You may also choose to follow them as a personal choice.  

In any case you should not judge a person who chooses to follow them or the person who chooses not to follow them.

I believe you will find what I state in scripture with further study and prayer to God to lead you true.

Quote (kerwin @ Nov. 04 2009,01:18)
    Beloved,

It depends on whether or not you are a member of the 12 Tribes of Israel who refers to themselves as such.  I read the dietary laws as they are written in Leviticus 11 and they are addressed to the descendants of Israel.  I saw nowhere where the Gentiles are commanded to keep these laws.  I believe they are on of those Jewish customs established by God to separate the children of Israel from the nations.  It would therefore be deceptive to claim to be such while not following their ways.

You may also choose to follow them as a personal choice.  

In any case you should not judge a person who chooses to follow them or the person who chooses not to follow them.

I believe you will find what I state in scripture with further study and prayer to God to lead you true.

What tribe was Noah from? What knowledge of “Clean” and “Unclean” animals did he have? Gen. 7:2-3 He had an Ark full of them. There are no instructions about what is clean and what is unclean. It is assumed that Noah already knew, but who taught him?

Also when Noah came out of the ark, he built an altar and made sacrifices of every species of clean animal (Gen. 8:20).

From the time of Noah until the time of Moses when the law was given, there is not a single example of anyone eating unclean meat, but there are a number of examples of people eating clean meat.

Abraham gave a calf to his servant, and he killed it and offered it to his visitors, together with bread, cakes, butter and milk. (Gen. 18:5-8). This, of course, makes nonsense of the Rabbinic idea that you can't have milk and meat together.

Esau went out hunting venison and gave it to his father Isaac to eat. (Gen. 25:27-28).

Jacob killed two goats and gave some of the meat to his father Isaac as an act of deception, to impersonate his brother Esau. (Gen. 27:9-25).

Jacob claimed that he was not indebted to Laban because he had not eaten the rams of his flock. It was therefore customary to eat rams. (Gen. 31:38).

The Israelites ate the Passover lamb before they came out of Egypt. (Exodus 12).

350 years from Abraham to Moses.

Nothing is known about the eating habits of Abraham's ancestors during the period of 400 years since the Flood.

We can only assume that Abraham learnt it from somewhere, and that some of his ancestors followed the custom of abstaining from unclean meat.

It should therefore not surprise us that abstinence from unclean meat is a very ancient idea that pre-dates the law of Moses.

The Apostle Paul used to talk about the “bondage” and “freedom” (Gal. 2:4) and his teaching is commonly misunderstood to mean that the law itself is a burden that needs to be thrown off.

He cannot possibly have referred to the Biblical food laws in that way, because getting rid of pork and prawns is hardly a burden.

The burden he referred to was the pride and arrogance that existed in some of the churches, where people tried to establish a pecking order of personal rank and importance, depending on how observant they were.

He denounced them with the phrase “God accepts no man's person”. (Gal. 2:6).

Everyone had to learn the Torah at their own pace and nobody was better or worse than anybody else, but all are redeemed by jesus the Messiah.

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (georg @ Nov. 03 2009,22:54)

Quote (Tim Kraft @ Nov. 03 2009,21:36)
    Beloved: I have one very strong recomendation for you. I could tell by your questions that you have been reading your Bible and learning for yourself. You have the Holy Spirit within to guide you to all truth. Stay within yourself listen to the voice of love within you and study the Bible asking for the truth. This way you can choose your path of faith in God and it will make you strong in your choices. Trust your own choices and decisions. Listening to others early on tends to influence a path for you that they have chosen. As you find you own freedoms to do as you please hold fast to your own truth. Deception and untruth will come quickly to rob your freedom in Christ.Do not listen to them. What is yours is yours with God! May God Bless you and yours, TK

T.K.  That is very good advice and not only that I agree with it.
    God Bless, Irene

Irene: Thanks, that was very kind. I know we don't always see eye to eye but it is nice to occasionally be in agreement.
    Thanks for the post. Bless you, TK

kerwin
    Participant

Constitutionalist wrote:

What tribe was Noah from? What knowledge of “Clean” and “Unclean” animals did he have? Gen. 7:2-3 He had an Ark full of them. There are no instructions about what is clean and what is unclean. It is assumed that Noah already knew, but who taught him?

That is an interesting question considering the eating of any meat either clean or unclean was forbidden prior to Noah landing after the flood.

According to Genesis 9:3-4 He gave mankind every living creature to consume but he banned them from eating meat with its lifeblood still in it.

Genesis 9:3-4 (NIV) reads:

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

“But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.

I want to point out that under the Law of Moses the eating of blood is forbidden to the Gentile.

Leviticus 17:10(NIV) reads:

” 'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood—I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people.

I am not sure where the council at Jerusalem got the idea that food sacrificed to idols is forbidden though Paul does explain it in one of his letters.

I did find a statue in the law that bans the Israelites from eating fat or blood sacrificed to God but I do not believe that is the statue the council was interpreting.

I know less about their banning of the meat of strangled animals.

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (Beloved @ Nov. 04 2009,01:50)

Quote (Tim Kraft @ Nov. 03 2009,21:36)
    Beloved: I have one very strong recomendation for you. I could tell by your questions that you have been reading your Bible and learning for yourself. You have the Holy Spirit within to guide you to all truth. Stay within yourself listen to the voice of love within you and study the Bible asking for the truth. This way you can choose your path of faith in God and it will make you strong in your choices. Trust your own choices and decisions. Listening to others early on tends to influence a path for you that they have chosen. As you find you own freedoms to do as you please hold fast to your own truth. Deception and untruth will come quickly to rob your freedom in Christ.Do not listen to them. What is yours is yours with God! May God Bless you and yours, TK

Thank you! The responses that I got did in fact answer my questions. =]

I think that I can go without eating certain foods anymore. I mean I already gave up sweets due to my health.

But as the foods come along and into my sight, I'll just ask the holy spirit.

When I ask, the holy spirit usually just gets to the point and gives me a 'yes' or 'no' depending on the circumstance at hand. It hasn't always been that way for me, its been that way since I've gotten more into the word. So I should just keep trusting and believing.

And I know its the holy spirit and not anything else because the holy spirit doesn't give excuses and reasons, just answers.

Thanks, what I really wanted was the scriptures so that I knew where to look.

Beloved: Acts 10:12 should give you the answer you are looking for about meat. Pay attention that all manner of beasts, creeping things and fowls of the air are included.Actually nothing is excluded. To me that means any and all things are good to eat! God has cleansed them all. Enjoy! Bless you, TK

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 04 2009,04:36)

Quote (Beloved @ Nov. 03 2009,19:03)
    Just for a bit of background, I used to be agnostic and I just became a Christian this year. So a lot about being a Christian is new to me. I've never even read the bible before January 2009. Even so, I'd always believed in my heart that there is a God. Studying the human body actually strengthened my belief that there is a God Almighty. I just didn't want to be tied down to any religion made by man. [This is the difference between agnostics and atheists. Agnostics do believe in a higher power, where atheists do not.]

To me, every religion seemed to say the same thing to me, “WE ARE RIGHT! And if you don't believe us then you will suffer in one way or another!” Whether it be bad karma, suffering in the next life, or [the most popular] going to hell.

Anyway, I was reading the bible and came across scriptures in Deuteronomy 14 about God saying what animals we can and can't eat. And I have to say, it's really confusing scripture! [But I did find out that the word 'coney' means ' rock badger'.] I really want to understand God's word. I've asked God for clarity and the response that came to me [which answered many questions I had as a new believer] was this very website! 8) So I thought I mine as well use the forums to try to gain understanding.

I actually have 3 questions instead of one. And these are for anyone who can answer them and give me scripture to see for myself.

1.) Even though God tells us we can eat meat, can we eat pork and sea creatures without fins and scales?

2.) When Jesus gave us the new commandments, [as he said, he came to fulfill the old ones] by fulfilling them did he negate the old commandments for the rest of us? Another way of asking this would be; Did Jesus make it so the laws of the Old Testament don't apply to us anymore and we just have to follow the New Testament and the laws of Love?

– I ask this for the sake of seafood. Because if Jesus negated the old laws, that means I can have some shrimp scampi for dinner. As long as I have love in my heart for God, Jesus, and everyone else [thy neighbor].

3.) Where in the Bible does it EVER mention fasting and that we have to fast?

– For one, I can't find it. Secondly, 1 month after I became a Christian, my pastor declared the church [the people], to have a 1 month fast by eating vegetables and berries and drinking water only. I participated in the fast because I thought it was what I was supposed to do to show appreciation to God. I have hypoglycemia to the point where it will literally cause me to drop dead if I don't maintain the right eating habits. I have a strict diet given to me by both my endocrinologist and nutritionist. Doing the fast with the church took me off my diet and I got sick and lost a LOT of weight.  

I will admit, I did the fast out of a feeling of obligation [everyone else in my immediate family was doing it] moreso than to sacrifice something from my daily life for God. My mother stopped making meals with meat, etc. Basically, I had no choice but to follow the fast since that was the ONLY food prepared at home and my original diet discourages me from fast food and unhealthy foods found in your local grocery store. But honestly, I can't find a scripture that says we have to even fast at all. I did the fast as a new believer who knew next to nothing about Christ or the bible.

I hope somebody can help me out. I do eat pork, but rarely. To be precise, I eat pork about once or twice a month. I really like seafood and if it turns out that I can in fact eat it, then I will continue to.

What confused me was that I found a scripture way after Deuteronomy that says something along the lines of “Who are you to judge the animals I made to be unclean? Everything I made and comes from me is good.” I know the reason people choose to not eat pork is because it is believed to be unclean by many.

I ask that somebody bring me some clarity in all 3 questions that I have.

The key here to literally answer your question is to simply understand “covenant” God makes many covenants throughout the bible some are for all mankind and some for a person or a group of people. The covenant in genesis 9 was made with all humanity and answers your question literally it is the noahic covenant.

Genesis 9
    1And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.

2And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.

3Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

4But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

The Jews were given another covenant

but in acts it shows that the noahic laws apply to everyone

But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
    Acts 15:19-21

That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
    Acts 15:28-30

The restrictions given to the Jews were not particularly given for any reason except that they may learn obedience and discipline
    ————————————————-
    In his book “To Be a Jew” (an excellent resource on traditional Judaism), Rabbi Hayim Halevy Donin suggests that the dietary laws are designed as a call to holiness. The ability to distinguish between right and wrong, good and evil, pure and defiled, the sacred and the profane, is very important in Judaism. Imposing rules on what you can and cannot eat ingrains that kind of self control, requiring us to learn to control even our most basic, primal instincts.

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm
    —————————————————–

This is proven by Jesus who explains:

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.
    Matthew 15:10-12

Jesus said this to show the point of such restrictions were to cleanse the heart.

The fact is prophets(with God's authority) often would forbid something that was permitted or permit something that was previously forbidden.

The covenant with Adam provided only fruit when he was disobedient he was told that now he was to eat from his own toil

Genesis 3

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Now this is key in understanding because after this Noa
    h was prophesied to come and make life easier by releasing that dietary restriction:

Genesis 5:28-30 (King James Version)

28And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:

29And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.

And as we see Noah had no food restrictions except that of eating living animals or drinking their blood.

Remember in the desert Israel was very disobedient and ungrateful so very severe restrictions were placed upon them.

I hope this has answered your questions. So the point is what agreement did you make with God? If God forbids something to you by some means He will inform you.

Hey Bod: Acts 10:12-through 11:18 cleared up my questions about food and chosen people. Maybe it will help.–Also earlier you wrote about where Jesus said, it is not what goes into the mouth but what comes out of the heart, that is truly referring to food.Only food passes through your body and out in the latrine! All food is good.Jesus told his disciples to eat whatever is put before them. Nothing is to be rejected for spiritual development.
    In my opinion Jesus made it clear that the old covenant with the law and the prophets were until John, and since then the new covenant is preached which is the Kingdom of God or Christ in you. Luke 16:16—Luke 17:21 IMO! Bless you, TK

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 04 2009,17:17)
    Hi,
    There are no food restrictions of those in Christ.

Nick: I couldn't agree more. Perfect short post! Bless you TK

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Nov. 04 2009,19:19)
    Acts 10:9-16
    Another misunderstood passage is found in the book of Acts. I quote:

Acts 10:  
    9: On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
    10: And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
    11: And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
    12: Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    13: And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
    14: But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
    15: And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
    16: This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.  

In this experience the Almighty is teaching Peter, and all who later read the chapter, a great spiritual truth: that true believers in the Most High – of whatever nation, who were previously regarded as 'unclean dogs,' are now totally acceptable to God.

Their previous unbelief had made them unclean: they were then likened unto dogs, pigs and snakes in the Almighty's eyes.

But, because of their new-found faith in the Messiah they are now clean.

They are now clean and wholly acceptable to the Most High and should also be accepted and welcomed by every strict Jew.

Believing Gentiles, in other words, are now part of God's flock.

They are His sheep.

They are no longer to be regarded as dogs, swine or other unclean beasts.

Because of their faith in Yeshua (Jesus) they have been cleansed through and through by God Himself and are now clean and holy.

This symbolic drama on the rooftop was given to teach the Apostle Peter and subsequent generations of Christians that faith in Jesus the Messiah purifies the vilest sinner, no matter from what nation he/she comes.

This passage is not to be taken as a lifting of the divine ban against eating unclean animals.

Reptiles, dogs, cats, mice, swine, rabbits, shell fish, lobsters, prawns etc. are still unclean for human consumption.

They should not be eaten.

These unclean creatures symbolise unbelief: and unbelief pollutes a person, it makes him/her unclean.

I repeat, unclean creatures are still unclean: just as unbelievers remain unbelievers until such time as genuine faith in God purges their uncleanness.

Because of these facts unclean meats should not be eaten;
    especially in view of the coming Day of Judgement.

Remember the divine warning:

“They that sanctify themselves and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.”

Con: If you actually live by your own established laws you must be a most miserable person. Under your law that you have established for yourself there is very little freedom. Jesus manifested to set us free from the very restricted items that you dote on. Its your choice, but its is certainly not for all. TK

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Tim Kraft @ Nov. 04 2009,16:49)

Hi,

You are not reading what is actually written since according to Acts the gentiles are forbidden to eat blood, food sacrificed to idols, and meat from strangled animals.  Paul addresses the issue of food sacrificed to idols and the banning of eating blood is written in the law.  I am not why eating the meat from strangled animals is banned but it may have something to do with eating blood.

It seems the Jews ban it because it causes cruel and unusual pain for the animal.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CON,
    Are you going to become a Jew?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Tim Kraft @ Nov. 04 2009,21:49)

Hi,

Of course there are! Is it allowed to drink blood or food sacrificed to Idols?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    If you were guided by the Spirit of God you would be given wisdom in all situations.
    Working from theory is for those who do not have help.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 05 2009,09:03)
    Hi BD,
    If you were guided by the Spirit of God you would be given wisdom in all situations.

That wasn't theory it was actual prohibitions to the gentile, so can you do those things that have been forbidden without guilt?

georg
    Participant

Hi! We used to eat a sausage that was made from Blood and tongue. Blood Sausage we called it in Germany. We still ate it when we went downtown were a Market sold German Sausages. But that was along time ago. It did taste good.
    Peace and Love Irene

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 05 2009,04:03)
    Hi BD,

It appears that yYou are putting your tradition over the word of God.  

Acts 21:25(KJV) reads:

As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Was the council at Jerusalem wrong?

1 Corinthians 8:9-13(KJV) reads:

But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

The whole of chapter 8  is about the eating of meat sacrificed to idols.  Paul is explaining one reason why it is forbidden to Gentiles.  Notice that Paul then takes a harsher tone when teaching about the same subject in chapter 10.

1 Corinthians 10:18-22(KJV) reads:

Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?

But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

Now about meat from strangled animals I can state very little since there are only three scriptures that mention it and they are in either Acts chapter 15 or 21.

I have read this.

1 Corinthians 10:23-33(KJV) reads:

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

But if any man say unto you, this is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Some Lutherans claim the prohibition about eating the meat of strangled animals is in respect for the Jewish converts among the flock.   That seems unlikely since it is a blanket prohibition.

I find the Jewish claim to be feasible since we are also to show love to our fellow creatures as caretakers.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KW,
    Tradition teaches we should go back to the ways of the tradition-bound Pharisees but the Spirit of God offers freedom. The Spirit of tradition led the assault on our Master and arranged his death.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account