Hidden codes in the bible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Is 1:18
    Participant

I found this at khouse.org. From an inoculous-looking geneology in Genesis 5.

Adam

The first name, Adam, comes from adomah, and means “man.”  As the first man, that seems straightforward enough.

Seth

Adam's son was named Seth, which means “appointed.”  When he was born Eve said, “For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.”

Enosh

Seth's son was called Enosh, which means “mortal,” “frail,” or “miserable.”  It is from the root anash: to be incurable; used of a wound, grief, woe, sickness, or wickedness.  (It was in the days of Enosh that men began to defile the name of the Living God.)

Kenan

Enosh's son was named Kenan, from which can mean “sorrow,” dirge,” or “elegy.”  (The precise denotation is somewhat elusive; some study aids unfortunately presume an Aramaic root synonymous with “Cainan.”)  Balaam, looking down from the heights of Moab, employed a pun upon the name of the Kenites when he prophesied their destruction.

Mahalalel

Kenan's son was Mahalalel, from mahalal, which means “blessed” or “praise”; and El, the name for God.  Thus, Mahalalel means “the Blessed God.”  Often Hebrew names included El, the name of God, as Dani-el, “God is my Judge,” Nathani-el, “Gift of God,” etc.

Jared

Mahalalel's son was named Jared, from the verb yaradh, meaning “shall come down.”  Some authorities suggest that this might have been an allusion to the “Sons of God” who “came down” to corrupt the daughters of men, resulting in the Nephilim (“Fallen Ones”) of Genesis 6.

Enoch

Jared's son was named Enoch, which means “teaching,” or “commencement.”  He was the first of four generations of preachers.  In fact, the earliest recorded prophecy was by Enoch, which amazingly enough deals with the Second Coming of Christ.

Methuselah

The Flood of Noah did not come as a surprise.  It had been preached on for four generations.  But something strange happened when Enoch was 65, from which time “he walked with God.”  Enoch was given a prophecy that as long as his son was alive, the judgment of the flood would be withheld; but as soon as he died, the flood would be sent forth.  

Enoch named his son to reflect this prophecy.  The name Methuselah comes from two roots: muth, a root that means “death”; and from shalach, which means “to bring,” or “to send forth.”  Thus, the name Methuselah signifies, “his death shall bring.”

And, indeed, in the year that Methuselah died, the flood came.   Methuselah was 187 when he had Lamech, and lived 782 years more.  Lamech had Noah when he was 182.   The Flood came in Noah's 600th year. 187 + 182 + 600 = 969, Methuselah's age when he died.

It is interesting that Methuselah's life was, in effect, a symbol of God's mercy in forestalling the coming judgment of the flood.  It is therefore fitting that his lifetime is the oldest in the Bible, symbolizing the extreme extensiveness of God's mercy.

Lamech

Methuselah's son was named Lamech, a root still evident today in our own English word, “lament” or “lamentation.”  Lamech suggests “despairing.”  (This name is also linked to the Lamech in Cain's line who inadvertently killed his son Tubal-Cain in a hunting incident.)

Noah

Lamech, of course, is the father of Noah, which is derived from nacham , “to bring relief” or “comfort,” as Lamech himself explains.

The Composite List

Hebrew  English
    Adam                  Man
    Seth                   Appointed
    Enosh                 Mortal
    Kenan                 Sorrow
    Mahalalel            The Blessed God
    Jared                  Shall come down
    Enoch                 Teaching
    Methuselah         His death shall bring
    Lamech               The despairing
    Noah                  Rest, or comfort

Here is a summary of God's plan of redemption, hidden here within a genealogy in Genesis!

Cool huh :cool:

NickHassan
    Participant

Excellent,
    if you are interested in the detail of the fallen angels go to the book of Enoch. Things were out of hand!

bic
    Participant

The general consensus of Christianity (as I know it) agrees that the books of the Apocrypha do not belong as part of scripture. From what I have read in them, this was the correct choice. If these books are not inspired of God (which I am firmly convinced that they are not), they introduce error and deception into the hearts and minds of all who read them and begin to believe them to be the word of God.

Your comment is a case in point. If scripture (outside the Apocrypha) doesn't reveal the details of the fallen angels, why would I want to tickle my ears with the farcical fantasies of myopic men.

This is only my personal opinion, but I think that you should be careful in reading those texts. Keep in mind that, more than likely, these writings are meant to confuse and deceive and not to elucidate.

Ben Elohim
    Participant

bic,Feb. wrote:

[/quote]
    Certainly seems that some kind of hidden concept encrypted in this passage:

When they had gone through the whole island as far as Paphos, they found a magician, a Jewish false prophet whose name was Bar-Jesus, who was with the proconsul, Sergius Paulus, a man of intelligence. This man summoned Barnabas and Saul and sought to hear the word of God. But Elymas the magician (for so his name is translated) was opposing them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. But Saul, who was also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his gaze on him, and said, “You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord? Now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon you, and you will be blind and not see the sun for a time.” And immediately a mist and a darkness fell upon him, and he went about seeking those who would lead him by the hand. Then the proconsul believed when he saw what had happened, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord.

Before this happened, Paul was known as Saul (see verse 2-3) and never as Paul. But after this happened Saul became Paul and was never again known as Saul (see verse 13,16, etc.). Paul's name in Greek is Paulos or in Latin it is Paulus, the same name as the proconsul here, Sergius Paulus. Notice that his named changed from Saul to Paulus when he had this showdown with the magician of Sergius Paulus. Oddly, we are told here that Saul is also known as Paul (Latin Paulus). But why here and why at a place where someone else named Paulus is involved? Before this even Saul is always and only known as Saul but after this event with Paulus' magician he is known as Paul (Paulus) and never as Saul again.

We also have the weird situation that this magician is named Bar-Jesus (son of Jesus). But he is also called Elymas, Arabic for Wise One and seems to be a synonym for Magos (plural “Magi”) similar to Simon “Magus” the magician. Now why also the word play with the name of Jesus and a Magi?

There seems to be a bit tooo much here to write it off as pure coincidence.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi bic
    Thank God he has given us the Spirit and especially the gift of discernment, so we do not need to be anxious about deception in any book and we “CAN GO IN AND OUT AND FIND PASTURE”

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (bic @ Feb. 23 2005,22:37)
    The general consensus of Christianity (as I know it) agrees that the books of the Apocrypha do not belong as part of scripture. From what I have read in them, this was the correct choice. If these books are not inspired of God (which I am firmly convinced that they are not), they introduce error and deception into the hearts and minds of all who read them and begin to believe them to be the word of God.

Your comment is a case in point. If scripture (outside the Apocrypha) doesn't reveal the details of the fallen angels, why would I want to tickle my ears with the farcical fantasies of myopic men.

This is only my personal opinion, but I think that you should be careful in reading those texts. Keep in mind that, more than likely, these writings are meant to confuse and deceive and not to elucidate.

thx Cubes,

In the spirit of the Bereans,

Who was it that agreed that the 66 books in todays bible are the inspired books and no other?

Also, some of the books in the bible talk about other books that are not in the bible and it seems that the bible quotes the Book of Enoch at times, even by Jude.

Just some questions to make sure that things are so. Not trying to stir aye!

Caroline
    Participant

I have always believed that the books of the Apocrypha should be used as any spiritual book written by man – with discernment, judging all we read by what we know from the Bible.
    There are truly inspiring passages in some of the books, and I cannot believe that such inspiration is not God-given in at least the same way as the inspiring poetry written by Christian poets and song-writers. Similarly, there are passages whose truth is so clearly in line with Biblical truth, that it would be absurd to reject them as though they were bad.
    I think these books are of great value, and should be regarded in the same light as a preacher's sermon or a scholar's treatise. We should read them with our eyes open, and our brains in gear!

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Feb. 23 2005,06:11)

Quote (bic @ Feb. 23 2005,22:37)

thx Cubes,

In the spirit of the Bereans,

Who was it that agreed that the 66 books in todays bible are the inspired books and no other?

Also, some of the books in the bible talk about other books that are not in the bible and it seems that the bible quotes the Book of Enoch at times, even by Jude.

Just some questions to make sure that things are so. Not trying to stir aye!

t8, I think you meant bic.

Even so, bic expressed some of my concern. And I agree with you when you ask the question about the cannonization of the books we currently have. If Enoch is cited in scripture and we have reliable sources that we have the very book, then surely it is scripture! I don't know about the rest and like bic I am wary.

bic
    Participant

Good points, all.

Nick I agree with you that the Holy Spirit guides us and we need not be anxious where we tread. You answered well (as did everyone else). Sometimes I act or talk like a mother hen.

However, and I am sure that you will agree, not everyone has the guidance of the HS. Many of our brothers and sisters in the Lord (and I am speaking mostly of those still SEEKING the Lord) are still in need of milk and they are more easily led astray or deceived. Personally, I have seen the books that are required reading for seminary students and I have heard way too many people quote Calvin or Luther or speak glowingly about C. S. Lewis or Spurgeon or Finney or Edwards. Yet these same people rarely ever quote scripture except out of context to support these various men's doctrines.
    The horrendous state of Christianity is exactly because of all the spurious writings that has subtly crept into the hearts and minds of otherwise sincere seekers of truth. They will angrily defend TULIP all the while rejecting the authority or inerrancy of scripture. I am not categorically denouncing these men listed…only placing them at a lower level of expediency (than scripture) when it comes to seeking for truth.

Perhaps you have no need of being careful…others, however, do.

t8: True, enough. There are references to many other books which have been lost(?). How many can you add to these: Jasher, Nathan, Gad, Ahijah the Shilonite, Iddo the seer, Shemaiah, Jehu, and Nahum. These are all from the O.T.. I know there are a few mentioned in the N.T., as well.

Caroline: Secular writings (movies, books, songs) can be quite spiritually stirring. I am sure that I have been moved by the words of the 'lost' a lot more than by the words of the 'found'. Wasn't Jesus drawn to those that were 'sick' more than to those who had no need for a 'physician'? Empathy surely plays a big role in this. Remember how much more excited all of heaven got from finding the one lost sheep that had gone astray?

Nevertheless, it is the DECEPTIVE writings that trouble me. Counterfeit religion is WORSE than no religion at all. A man who knows that he is lost is much better off than one who thinks that he isn't.

NickHassan
    Participant

Yes bic,
    I agree with a lot of what you say. But the biggest problem is that salvation is not being preached. It is no use comforting those who have not entered the Kingdom with fine words. Only those who have gone through the gate can apply any of the joyful words of scripture to themselves. That is why we are to “let the dead bury the dead”

Their situation is even sadder if they believe they are justified by works or religion and yet are outside the kingdom. They may as well read novels.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,

1cor2
    7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

The rebel princes above allowed men to be raised above them
    and brought about their own downfall by their actions.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ Feb. 18 2005,17:41)
    Adam

The first name, Adam, comes from adomah, and means “man.” As the first man, that seems straightforward enough.

According to scripture, Eve was also man.

But she wasn't THE man, but man.
    In other words she was not the man in identity but man in nature.

This might help you when reading John 1:1 and the lack of article in the Word was theos.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account