Hebrews

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Towshab
    Participant

I will not decimate Hebrews like I did Matthew because that was quite a bit of work. Never realized Matthew was that full of error. Anyways I will hit on several ideals in Hebrews and see what Christians feel about them. Here is a good one to start with:

Heb 6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and became partakers of the Holy Spirit,
    Heb 6:5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powerful deeds of the age to come,
    Heb 6:6 and having fallen away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and hold Him up to contempt.

What do Christians say about this passage?

TimothyVI
    Participant

First and foremost, Heb 6:4-6 can not mean that you lose salvation
    If it does then there is no place for the prodical son in the bible. The prodical son is all about God forgiving our falling away and accepting us back.
    Jesus also said that we should forgive 70 X 7. Would he do less?

The literal translation as found in the Greek interlineary concordance goes like this:
    6:4 unable for the ones once being enlightened………………………
    6:6 and being fallen again, to be up-newizing (renewing) into repentance crucifying again to selves the son of God

“Parapipto means to fall beside, inadvertently. Denoting a side-falling and not a conscious and deceitful falling into sin as would be expressed by 'parabaino' , to willfully transgress.” As to the words 'renew' and 'again' these words are important to know in light of the context. The word 'renew' is the Greek word 'anakainzo' which means to renew, qualitatively new. In reference to Hebrews 6:6 this would be saying that a Christian is unable to have a 'new or qualitatively' different repentance toward Christ, since that would mean Christ's death was not sufficient the first time. In other words this is saying it is impossible for a believer to be born again twice since that would mean the sacrifice of Jesus was not good enough the first time and would have to do it again and thus putting Jesus to open shame. These verses are indicating that a person who is born again does not need to be born again a second time, or that he is going to lose his salvation, but actually that he is secure in Christ.

There will be those who fall away or get side tracked as all of us do, but remember the promise of God, “that He who began the good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6)

For those who do fall down and get caught in sins they cannot lose their salvation and regain it again, for that would mean Jesus would then have to die again which contradicts the Scriptures entirely

Tim

david
    Participant

Towshab, aren't you tired of being wrong?

I will not decimate Hebrews like I did Matthew because that was quite a bit of work.

I'm afraid you are delusional. You can add “decimate” to the list of words you should try harder to understand. (Along with “contradiction.”)

For the record, what you did with Matthew was list a bunch of scriptures in several posts, not really wanting answers or correction.

A humble person asks for help when they have problems understanding something.

Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,00:09)
    I will not decimate Hebrews like I did Matthew because that was quite a bit of work. Never realized Matthew was that full of error. Anyways I will hit on several ideals in Hebrews and see what Christians feel about them. Here is a good one to start with:

Heb 6:4  For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and became partakers of the Holy Spirit,
    Heb 6:5  and have tasted the good word of God and the powerful deeds of the age to come,
    Heb 6:6  and having fallen away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and hold Him up to contempt.

What do Christians say about this passage?

Hi Towshab:

Perhaps the following scripture will explain what it means:

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully(defiantly) after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. 32 But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated

Praise God for His love and His mercy

kenrch
    Participant

Plain and simple if Paul after tasting the powers to come rejected Christ and went on persecuting the Christians then they would be no forgiveness for him.

Our Lord is so merciful that even you (if you hurry) have a chance at salvation.

But you better hurry times a wasting! :D

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (david @ Nov. 13 2007,14:44)
    Towshab, aren't you tired of being wrong?

I will not decimate Hebrews like I did Matthew because that was quite a bit of work.

I'm afraid you are delusional. You can add “decimate” to the list of words you should try harder to understand. (Along with “contradiction.”)

For the record, what you did with Matthew was list a bunch of scriptures in several posts, not really wanting answers or correction.

A humble person asks for help when they have problems understanding something.

Why should I ask for help understanding? My understanding is fine.

Towshab
    Participant

Actually Tim has the best understanding of this passage because when I read it I also thought of the prodigal son. If you all feel otherwise you go against a Judaic principle called teshuva which basically means 'repentance'. The prodigal son story is actually based on this principle and Jesus was pulling this allegory from repentance in the Hebrew scriptures.

Participant

Hi Towshab:

If a person sins wilfully, God will chastise him.  If he repents, God will forgive him, but if he continues to sin defiantely, God has not choice but to reject him.
    God is merciful, but He also is a God of justice.

Perhaps the following scriptures will help:

Hebrews 12 – Study This Chapter

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author F41 and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after F42 their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. 12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; 13 And make straight F43 paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. 14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: 15 Looking diligently lest any man fail F44 of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; 16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place F45 of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, 19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: 20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: 21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) 22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written F46 in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, F47 and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. 25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, F48 as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

I believe that Tim is saying that a person can't loose his salvation once he has been born again, but I don't believe that the scriptures support this opinion.

Who would you think deserves the greater punishment?  He who is practicing sin in unbelief or he who knows the truth and is practicing sin wilfully?

Praise God for His Love and His Mercy

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Nov. 13 2007,20:10)
    Hi Towshab:

If a person sins wilfully, God will chastise him. If he repents, God will forgive him, but if he continues to sin defiantely, God has not choice but to reject him.

1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2 Looking unto Jesus the author F41 and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after F42 their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness. 11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby. 12 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; 13 And make straight F43 paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. 14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: 15 Looking diligently lest any man fail F44 of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; 16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place F45 of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

18 For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, 19 And the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: 20 (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: 21 And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:) 22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written F46 in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, F47 and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel. 25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: 26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. 27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, F48 as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. 28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

I believe that Tim is saying that a person can't loose his salvation once he has been born again, but I don't believe that the scriptures support this opinion.

Who would you think deserves the greater punishment? He who is practicing sin in unbelief or he who knows the truth and is practicing sin wilfully?

Hi 92,

What do you consider 'sin'?

Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,13:14)

Quote (942767 @ Nov. 13 2007,20:10)
    Hi Towshab:

If a person sins wilfully, God will chastise him.  If he repents, God will forgive him, but if he continues to sin defiantely, God has not choice but to reject him.

Who would you think deserves the greater punishment?  He who is practicing sin in unbelief or he who knows the truth and is practicing sin wilfully?

Hi 92,

What do you consider 'sin'?

Hi Towshab:

1Jo 3:4
    Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

1Jo 5:17
    All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

Praise God for His love and His Mercy

Towshab
    Participant

In light of 1 John 3:4, what is the law?

Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,13:41)

Hi Towshab:

The Law are the Ten Commandments that are written in stone with the finger of God, and in striving to obey the commandments that came to humanity from God through Jesus, God's Son and His Christ we fulfill the Law.

As he was declared not guilty of sin by God through his resurrection from the dead, we also who have born again have been declared not guilty having also been raised from the dead and reconciled to God through our Lord, God's Son and His Christ.

Matt 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. 35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Nov. 13 2007,21:05)

Hi Towshab:

The Law are the Ten Commandments that are written in stone with the finger of God, and in striving to obey the commandments that came to humanity from God through Jesus, God's Son and His Christ we fulfill the Law.

As he was declared not guilty of sin by God through his resurrection from the dead, we also who have born again have been declared not guilty having also been raised from the dead and reconciled to God through our Lord, God's Son and His Christ.

Matt 22:34 But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. 35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets

Did you know 'the Law' is synonymous with the Torah? That means not only the '10 commandments' but all of the 613 mitzvot (commandments) of the first five books of the 'old testament'. From
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah

===============================================
    The Torah (תּוֹרָה) is the most important document in Judaism, revered as the inspired word of God, traditionally said to have been revealed to Moses. The word Torah means “teaching,” “instruction,” “scribe”, or “law” in Hebrew. It is also known as the Five Books of Moses, the Law of Moses (Torat Moshe תּוֹרַת־מֹשֶׁה) or Sefer Torah (which refers to the scroll cases in which the books were kept), in Greek called Pentateuch (Πεντετεύχως “five rolls or cases”).
    ==============================================

The Hebrew word for 'law' is 'torah'.

Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,14:13)

Quote (942767 @ Nov. 13 2007,21:05)

Hi Towshab:

Did you know 'the Law' is synonymous with the Torah? That means not only the '10 commandments' but all of the 613 mitzvot (commandments) of the first five books of the 'old testament'. From
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torah

===============================================
    The Torah (תּוֹרָה) is the most important document in Judaism, revered as the inspired word of God, traditionally said to have been revealed to Moses. The word Torah means “teaching,” “instruction,” “scribe”, or “law” in Hebrew. It is also known as the Five Books of Moses, the Law of Moses (Torat Moshe תּוֹרַת־מֹשֶׁה) or Sefer Torah (which refers to the scroll cases in which the books were kept), in Greek called Pentateuch (Πεντετεύχως “five rolls or cases”).
    ==============================================

The Hebrew word for 'law' is 'torah'.

Hi Towshab:

I am aware of this interpretation, but the following statement by Jesus states how we fulfill the law:

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS HANG ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS

From the Torah:

Deuteronomy 6 – Study This Chapter

1 Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go F27 to possess it: 2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged. 3 Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the LORD God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.

4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: 5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. 6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. 8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. 9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates

Do you keep all 613 Mitzvot?

Towshab
    Participant

Do I keep all of them? Heck no! Who does? Even King David transgressed! But G-d said he was a man after His own heart and that was well before Jesus.

Participant

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,15:11)
    Do I keep all of them? Heck no! Who does? Even King David transgressed! But G-d said he was a man after His own heart and that was well before Jesus.

Hi Towshab:

That is exactly why God has provided the sacrifice to be the propitiation for our sins.

1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Nov. 13 2007,22:26)

Quote (Towshab @ Nov. 14 2007,15:11)

Hi Towshab:

That is exactly why God has provided the sacrifice to be the propitiation for our sins.

1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

3 problems with that: (1) blood sacrifice was for unintentional sins.

=======================================
    Lev 4:2 [ESV] “Speak to the people of Israel, saying, If anyone sins unintentionally in any of the LORD's commandments about things not to be done, and does any one of them,
    Lev 4:3 if it is the anointed priest who sins, thus bringing guilt on the people, then he shall offer for the sin that he has committed a bull from the herd without blemish to the LORD for a sin offering.
    Lev 4:4 He shall bring the bull to the entrance of the tent of meeting before the LORD and lay his hand on the head of the bull and kill the bull before the LORD.

(2) Since Jesus was supposed to be the sacrifice for all the world, he should have been called the 'bull of G-d' because lambs are only for individual sins.

Lev 4:13 “If the whole congregation of Israel sins unintentionally and the thing is hidden from the eyes of the assembly, and they do any one of the things that by the LORD's commandments ought not to be done, and they realize their guilt,
    Lev 4:14 when the sin which they have committed becomes known, the assembly shall offer a bull from the herd for a sin offering and bring it in front of the tent of meeting.

(3) Jesus does not qualify for a sin offering because he was not offered properly according to G-d's own commands

[a] He was not an animal although he was called the 'lamb'. G-d detests human sacrifice.
    He was not offered by a priest of the line of Aaron (Levite) but was killed by Gentiles
    [c] His blood was not sprinkled on an altar in the prescribed place which would have been the temple in Jerusalem at that time
    [d] He was not cut up and burned after death as prescribed
    [e] Since Jesus was whipped and beaten before he died he did not qualify as a proper offering

Lev 22:22 [ESV] Animals blind or disabled or mutilated or having a discharge or an itch or scabs you shall not offer to the LORD or give them to the LORD as a food offering on the altar.

IM4Truth
    Participant

942767 Do you know that Tow does not believe in Jesus? What does scripture tell us about that? Does it not say that whoever does not belief that Jesus came in the flesh is Anti-Christ. So why would you want to have a conversation with Him? He is here to give us a hard time, and according to Mandy some have been hurt by it. So please in the name of God(Jesus) stop answering Him, Please, for our Brothers in Sisters in Christ.

Peace and Love Mrs.

Towshab
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Nov. 14 2007,05:45)
    942767 Do you know that Tow does not believe in Jesus? What does scripture tell us about that? Does it not say that whoever does not belief that Jesus came in the flesh is Anti-Christ. So why would you want to have a conversation with Him? He is here to give us a hard time, and according to Mandy some have been hurt by it. So please in the name of God(Jesus) stop answering Him, Please, for our Brothers in Sisters in Christ.

Peace and Love Mrs.

2/3 of the earth is made up of anti-christs?

IM4Truth
    Participant

People does that give anybody a right to give Christian a hard time, I do not think so. Stop answering Him. In the Name of Jesus I will ask stop. One more thing remmeber what time we are in. Are ytou a Christian or not?
    Peace and Love Mrs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account