Halloween is coming up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,115 total)
  • Author

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 17 2009,17:53)
    WJ show me where God created the Greco-Roman calendar?

WJ show me where God created the Egyptian Calendar?

WJ show me where God created the Lunar Calendars?

WJ show me where God created the Mayan Calendar?

Was it God or:

The Greeks named the days week after the sun, the moon and the five known planets, which were in turn named after the gods Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, and Cronus.

The Greeks called the days of the week the Theon hemerai “days of the Gods”.

The Romans substituted their equivalent gods for the Greek gods, Mars, Mercury, Jove (Jupiter), Venus, and Saturn.

The Germanic peoples generally substituted roughly similar gods for the Roman gods, Tiu (Twia), Woden, Thor, Freya (Fria), but did not substitute Saturn.

Con

What does the invention of the calendars have to do with God creating the days?

And God saw the light, that [it was] good: “and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day“, and the darkness he called Night. And “the evening and the morning were the “first day. Gen 1:4, 5

Who created the light?

Who called the light “DAY”?

Who causes the sun to rise and fall?

We taught this to the toddlers in sunday school not to long ago!

WJ

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 17 2009,15:19)

Was it God or:

The Greeks named the days week after the sun, the moon and the five known planets, which were in turn named after the gods Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, and Cronus.

The Romans substituted their equivalent gods for the Greek gods, Mars, Mercury, Jove (Jupiter), Venus, and Saturn.

The Germanic peoples generally substituted roughly similar gods for the Roman gods, Tiu (Twia), Woden, Thor, Freya (Fria), but did not substitute Saturn.

Con

And God saw the light, that [it was] good: “and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day“, and the darkness he called Night. And “the evening and the morning were the “first day. Gen 1:4, 5

Who created the light?

WJ

God created Heavens: The Shamayim portion of Planets, Stars, Suns, and Moons, through these Man created Days, weeks, years, etc.

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: Genesis 1:14

He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down. Psalm 104:9

God is outside of 'time”. We are not.

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 17 2009,18:29)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 17 2009,15:19)

Was it God or:

Con

Who created the light?

WJ

God created Heavens: The Shamayim portion of Planets, Stars, Suns, and Moons, through these Man created Days, weeks, years, etc.

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: Genesis 1:14

He appointed the moon for seasons: the sun knoweth his going down. Psalm 104:9

God is outside of 'time”. We are not.

Con

God created the light and called it “Day”!

You don't believe that?

WJ

KangarooJack
    Participant

Con said:

Bottom line is you cannot sreve two Masters.

You're right. We cannot serve Christ and the modern day pharisees too.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 18 2009,08:36)

CON,
    I am trying to show you legalists how blind you are. For every time you judge someone from the law you are judged also from a point concerning the law. Yet you guys just keep on judging people.

–Thinker.

thinker, which commandment from the law, as you say, are you judging me as speaking of?
    Everything I say is I think based on Bible PRINCIPLES (basic truths).  

Principle: Jehovah God hates the worship of, or associated practices of other gods.

Laws can come and go and are based on principles (basic truths).  But the above is a principle that will always be true.

Is it right to imitate and adopt practices that stem from paganism (using that word to include false worship) or to adopt practices that are based on false religious beliefs (dead returning on that day)?

You are judged from Christ's law which says “Judge not one another.”

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

David asked WJ:

Would any Christians stumble over your celebrating halloween?

Make sure you are clear as to what it means to “stumble.” According to Paul it meant to cause a brother to act contrary to his conscience. You would not act contrary to your conscience if you saw me passing out candy.

You are just trying to bind me under your rules and I am not obligated to bow my knee to you.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 18 2009,08:54)

David,
    I posted a source which shows you deny the resurrection. Therefore, you are bad company. So stop preaching to WJ about his alleged keeping bad company. You say I look dumb. You guys look both snub and dumb by making a big deal about pagan origins of things and all that. Who cares!

–thinker.

THINKER, Exactly, who cares.  Stop talking about this.  I thought you were done speaking with me, because I apparently to my own amazement, don't believe in Jesus resurrection.
    And no, if you actually read your own quote, you posted a source that shows we believe the resurrection took place differently than you believe.  Remember all those scriptures I posted?  Do they matter?  Not to you.  You just are trying to create the false argument that because I am one of JW's those other scriptures I quote about halloween do not matter.  (I created a thread on fallacious thinking.  If you search “fallacy” you will find it.  Enjoy.)

I only meant it looked dumb in that you kept telling ME what I believe.  I know what I believe.  You don't.  But you keep repeating it, despite me saying I believe Jesus was resurrected.  You thinking that by repeating something over and over makes it true: That is dumb.

I know you don't care David. You care not that you are prohibited to judge others.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 18 2009,09:20)

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 18 2009,02:33)

TIM wrote:

Le'ts not let the 21st century pharisees defile our consciences. Hebrews says that our consciences have been washed with clean water (10:22).

thinker

With water, eh?  :;):

???

KangarooJack
    Participant

David said:

If you become friends with the world, you become “enemies of God.”

To put it simply the “world” in its historical context constituted those who stood in the way of new covenant progress. In other words, you and Con.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

David said:

If you spend all your time with smokers, you are much more likely to smoke.
    If you spend all your time with lazy people, that can wear off.

So you're saying that WJ spends most of his time with pagans? ???

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 18 2009,09:26)

Quote (david @ Oct. 18 2009,09:12)

Concerning your views on the resurrection I believe that you are “bad company” also.

–THINKER.

So, you've said I was “bad company” like 6 or 7 times now.  Do you only say things or do you act on what you believe?

Looking for martyrdom, eh?

Fellowship and debate are two different things.  There are plenty of people I wouldn't want over to my house for dinner that I would love to speak with about a myriad of issues and seek to both listen and persuade.

As usual, you let your emotions cloud your judgment.

Personally I like it when JW's come to my house. I am not keeping “bad company” by discussing my views with them. But I would not step foot in a Kingdom Hall. They would throw me out before the service was finished anyway.

thinker

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 17 2009,18:50)
    David said:

If you spend all your time with smokers, you are much more likely to smoke.
    If you spend all your time with lazy people, that can wear off.

So you're saying that WJ spends most of his time with pagans? ???

thinker

Jack

David just needs to read the post better without his JW bias!

He responds to my post that tells him what we do on Oct 31st and then he ask me what exactly do I do on Oct 31st?

I think he might not be hearing well! Or maybe he needs glasses! :)

WJ

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 18 2009,09:25)

Quote (david @ Oct. 17 2009,13:59)

This world and everything in it it and all days are God's just as WJ said.

–thinker.

But there are some bad things in this world.  And God hates those bad things.  If you love the things God hates, are you a friend of God?

Why don't you go give Satan a hug.  Satan is “God's” right?

Dress Satan up how you want, he is still Satan.  

The Bible  says that friends of the world are enemies of God.

Thinker, I know you've heard this scripture.  You've maybe even read it:

(James 4:4-8) Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God. 5 Or does it seem to YOU that the scripture says to no purpose: “It is with a tendency to envy that the spirit which has taken up residence within us keeps longing”? 6 However, the undeserved kindness which he gives is greater. Hence it says: “God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.” 7 Subject yourselves, therefore, to God; but oppose the Devil, and he will flee from YOU. 8 Draw close to God, and he will draw close to YOU. Cleanse YOUR hands, YOU sinners, and purify YOUR hearts, YOU indecisive ones.

David, I am under the impression to them Satan and sin is dead. Therfore they can do anything they wish. They believe God abolished/Destroyed every single law in the Old Testament, and they do not even recognize that every single Law proffessed in the New Testament comes from the Old Testament. Sadder yet if you quote a New Testament Law they state they are not even beholding to it. I truly believe they believe they are spotless and with no blemish because all laws have been destroyed.

And how do you come to the conclusion that we believe we can do anything we wish? We are talking about things that Paul felt were benign like eating meat in an idol's temple and passing out candy on halloween. The problem is with your defiled conscience. My conscience is clean.

You are given to taking huge leaps in logic.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 18 2009,09:31)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 18 2009,09:25)

Quote (david @ Oct. 17 2009,13:59)

This world and everything in it it and all days are God's just as WJ said.

–thinker.

But there are some bad things in this world.  And God hates those bad things.  If you love the things God hates, are you a friend of God?

Why don't you go give Satan a hug.  Satan is “God's” right?

Dress Satan up how you want, he is still Satan.  

The Bible  says that friends of the world are enemies of God.

Thinker, I know you've heard this scripture.  You've maybe even read it:

(James 4:4-8) Adulteresses, do YOU not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God. 5 Or does it seem to YOU that the scripture says to no purpose: “It is with a tendency to envy that the spirit which has taken up residence within us keeps longing”? 6 However, the undeserved kindness which he gives is greater. Hence it says: “God opposes the haughty ones, but he gives undeserved kindness to the humble ones.” 7 Subject yourselves, therefore, to God; but oppose the Devil, and he will flee from YOU. 8 Draw close to God, and he will draw close to YOU. Cleanse YOUR hands, YOU sinners, and purify YOUR hearts, YOU indecisive ones.

David, I am under the impression to them Satan and sin is dead. Therfore they can do anything they wish. They believe God abolished/Destroyed every single law in the Old Testament, and they do not even recognize that every single Law proffessed in the New Testament comes from the Old Testament. Sadder yet if you quote a New Testament Law they state they are not even beholding to it. I truly believe they believe they are spotless and with no blemish because all laws have been destroyed.

Not destroyed, but fulfilled.  I can't speak for what WJ and TT believe.  But if you ever get a chance to pick up a Catholic Catechism you will find it organized along the lines of the ten commandments and the creed.  If you get a chance to go to a Catholic or Orthodox church you will see the fulfillment of Synagogue (Liturgy of the Word) and fulfillment of Temple (Liturgy of the Eucharist).

Protestants forsook the latter and tried to extend the former.  

Why did they forsake the priesthood in the order of Melchisedek?

CA,
    You are a cross between a legalist and a Christian. Fulfilled means “abolished.” The Levitical order IN ITS ENTIRETY was fulfilled in Christ. So it has been abolished. Eventually the Christians caught on and stopped eating a passover lamb when they took communion. But if Con had his way we would still be eating lambs in worship if Con even worships.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

WorshippingJesus said to Con:

I make no excuses for the worldly practice of Halloween. But I am free to celebrate whatever day I want and however I want as long as I am within Gods moral compass. And that is a matter of the heart and conscience.

But it seems that you only want to “Judge” the hearts and conscience of those who differ with you on how to use their time on Oct 31st, and as I said the scriptures warn us about people like you…

”WHO ARE YOU TO JUDGE SOMEONE ELSE'S SERVANT? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One man considers one day more sacred than another; “another man considers every day alike”. Each one should be “fully convinced in his own mind. Rom 14:4, 5

Amen Keith! But Con don't get it.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Constitutionalist said:

I buy American wherever and whenever I can.

:laugh: (rolling on the floor)

So you're saying that America is not a pagan nation? ??? Your username fits you like a glove.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Constitutionalist said:

Holloween does not edify the Lord.

And judging others does?

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Con said:

Why do you keep calling its God's Day, man created THAT DAY.

WJ replied:

Man created the day? I don’t see man in the book until the 6th day. Since when did man cause the sun to rise and fall?  Funny!

:laugh:  :laugh:

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

WJ said:

Offensive? Not at all! Legalistic, Yes. All the law is fulfilled in this…
    The entire law is summed up in a single command: “Love your neighbor as yourself. Gal 5:14

Love is the one and only rule which binds us. David and Con judge others which means that they don't love. Therefore, they are guilty of breaking the law which they say they uphold.

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    Another glorious victory in your eyes?
    Buy some salve.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 1,115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account