Gennao

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This word is found in scripture in many places.

Acts 13
    “32 And we declare unto you glad tidings, how that the promise which was made unto the fathers,
    33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this day have I BEGOTTEN thee.
    34 And as concerning that he raised him up from the dead, now no more to return to corruption, he said on this wise, I will give you the sure mercies of David.
    35 Wherefore he saith also in another psalm , Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption”

Number 1080
    Transliteration:
    gennao {ghen-nah'-o}
    Word Origin:
    from a variation of 1085
    TDNT:
    1:665,114
    Part of Speech:
    verb
    Usage in the KJV:
    begat 49, be born 39, bear 2, gender 2, bring forth 1, be delivered 1, misc 3

Total: 97
    Definition:
    of men who fathered children
    to be born
    to be begotten
    of women giving birth to children
    metaph.
    to engender, cause to arise, excite
    in a Jewish sense, of one who brings others over to his way of life, to convert someone
    of God making Christ his son
    of God making men his sons through faith in Christ's work

And since this verse is quoted from Ps 2 we can find the Hebrew-Aramaic equivalent.

Number 3205
    Transliteration:
    yalad {yaw-lad'}
    Word Origin:
    a primitive root
    TWOT:
    Part of Speech:
    verb
    Usage in the KJV:
    beget 201, bare 110, born 79, bring forth 25, bear 23, travail 16, midwife 10, child 8, delivered 5, borne 3, birth 2, labour 2, brought up 2, misc 12

Total: 498
    Definition:
    to bear, bring forth, beget, gender, travail
    (Qal)
    to bear, bring forth
    of child birth
    of distress (simile)
    of wicked (behaviour)
    to beget
    (Niphal) to be born
    (Piel)
    to cause or help to bring forth
    to assist or tend as a midwife
    midwife (participle)
    (Pual) to be born
    (Hiphil)
    to beget (a child)
    to bear (fig. – of wicked bringing forth iniquity)
    (Hophal) day of birth, birthday (infinitive)
    (Hithpael) to declare one's birth (pedigree

So does it relate to conception?

No it relates to bringing forth of a child by a mother or a father.

God brought forth a son alone from His own being without conception or pregnancy as an image of Himself.

The monogenes SON OF GOD.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Would God share His glory in the begettal of a son in His own image?
    Isaiah 42:8
    ” I am the LORD, that is My name;I will not give My glory to another,Nor My praise to graven images.'
    If the begettal was at his conception in Mary then the Son would also be in the image of Mary and God would share the glory with her.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Further use of gennao

1 Corinthians 4:15
    For though ye have ten thousand instructers in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel
    Philemon 1:10
    I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:

Both refer to a begettal from one being, not a conception.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    1Jn 5
    “1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born [1080]of God: and every one that loveth him that begat [1080] loveth him also that is begotten [1080] of him.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The monogenes son was begotten of God alone.

Phoenix
    Participant

Well thats weird that two different words means the same thing

Phoenix
    Participant

Hmmm … had a look on another concordance. And found this…

monogenes = ONLY-generated

gennao = HAVE-generated

NickHassan
    Participant

for not3

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

You said:

God brought forth a son alone from His own being without conception or pregnancy as an image of Himself.

The monogenes SON OF GOD

And I … AGREE! Surprise!

The only area where we might disagree is whether or not this happened at a moment of time, to which I say no, but that the begetting is eternal.

But you said that in the beginning, the Father and the Son were God, and I agree. Our disagreement is whether or not the Son ceased to be God. I believe you think He did cease, and I believe He didn't. Is that about right?

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim,
    What does eternal begettal mean?
    Never actually started and never actually completed?
    Limbo?

We know the WORD WAS GOD.
    Scripture says so.

It would be presumptive to draw from that statement by the use of puny theological tools anything about now or in the future.

We also know Christ is the Son of God.
    We know the Word was with God in the beginning-before time.

Sons usually become separate beings from their fathers.

Eph 3
    “14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, “

This relationship is a scriptual template for our relationships with our families so that would sem to be of the same pattern as our father son relationships.

Not3in1
    Participant

Nick writes:
    Does it relate to conception?

Tell me how a child is “brought forth from a mother and a father” if conception is not involved? Surely it cannot be considered a virgin conception if both parents are involved?

The definition for 1080 does allow for conception. I'm not sure why you say it doesn't?

Then you say:
    This relationship is a scriptual template for our relationships with our families so that would sem to be of the same pattern as our father son relationships.
    If the Father and only begotten Son are “templates” for our relationships, then I think we need to bring Mary back into this equation and quit taking her out of it to fit certain ideas. Again, if language means anything, a “father” is a male parent of offspring.

God help me understand why this cannot be so.

Not3in1
    Participant

Would God share His glory in the begettal of a son in His own image?

God has glory because he is God.
    Jesus has glory as the one and only begotten of God.

God doesn't share his glory just because he had a Son ——- indeed, not if they are different persons.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ May 25 2007,09:37)
    Nick writes:
    Does it relate to conception?

Tell me how a child is “brought forth from a mother and a father” if conception is not involved?  Surely it cannot be considered a virgin conception if both parents are involved?

The definition for 1080 does allow for conception.  I'm not sure why you say it doesn't?

Then you say:
    If the Father and only begotten Son are “templates” for our relationships, then I think we need to bring Mary back into this equation and quit taking her out of it to fit certain ideas.  Again, if language means anything, a “father” is a male parent of offspring.  

God help me understand why this cannot be so.

Hi not3,
    The monogenes origin of Christ does not relate to his conception. He is the son of God and God does not share His glory with men. He is derived from God, begotten of God alone, and his conception in Mary makes him also a physical son of God and son of man.

Not3in1
    Participant

The monogenes origin of Christ does not relate to his conception. He is the son of God and God does not share His glory with men. He is derived from God, begotten of God alone, and his conception in Mary makes him also a physical son of God and son of man.
    Nick, I'm just sitting here shaking my head at this. It almost sounds as complicated as the Trinity. My son has a Little League game tonight and so I need to get going. But what about all our conversations surrounding conception? Are all of those facts out the door now again? Should we abandoned “true” conception again? I'm at a loss right now…… I'll be back tonight. Thanks.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    You must know what he truly is-Son of God.

Tim2
    Participant

Hey Nick,

Eternally begotten means, according to Louis Berkhof, “it is a timeless act, the act of an eternal present, an act always continuing and never completed.”  P. 93 of his Systematic Theology.  Now before you accuse us of teaching that Jesus is incomplete, note that he says the act is never completed -the Father always generates the Son.  But the Son is still complete and has been for all eternity.  The clearest declaration of this is in Hebrews 1:3, where Jesus is called the Radiance of God's glory.  God's glory is always radiating, and this Radiance is declared to be Jesus.  Likewise, Jesus is said to be the Word, Image, Wisdom, and Power of God, and I think everyone would agree that God always generates His Wisdom and Power and Image, as well as His Word in whom all things hold together.  

Sons usually become separate beings from their fathers.

You said that in the beginning there were two who were God, right?  I think you believe they were one God, not two, so that would make them one being.  Perhaps the words substance and subsistence would help?  The Father and the Son are the same substance, the same essential being, but are distinct subsistences (real existences) of that substance.  

Tim

Not3in1
    Participant

Eternally begotten
    This is extra-biblical language. The bible only says, “begotten.”

And yes, Nick – Son of God (a true son). What you are speaking of takes everything out of context that language permits.

Not3in1
    Participant

Father always generates the Son.
    I dislike the term “generate.” It makes the Son sound like a report or something.

Not3in1
    Participant

and his conception in Mary makes him also a physical son of God and son of man.
    You mean Jesus' “fake” conception in Mary, don't you?
    What you really meant to say is that when Jesus went through the Mary Factory, he received flesh (and that's all). The pre-existent-eternally begotten (of God only) spirit-son of God got flesh! He didn't need anything else from Mary – just to be put in her and come out of her – then he qualifies as the decendent of David.

I'm not buying this for a dollar anymore. Maybe I'm being a sour-puss tonight, but I don't follow this belief system anymore than I can follow the Trinity. You also have to quilt together passages of scripture to make this belief come together.

Nick, can you show me what is wrong with my belief system? Show me why Jesus cannot be the TRUE SON of God and Mary?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Not3in1,

The problem with your belief system is that it makes too much sense to the common, average, everyday thinking
    human being. Don't you know that it is imperative to theological thinking that everything about God must be somehow shrouded in mystery and mystical ideas so deep that almost no one can understand the nature of God and His relationship to His Son.

Come on “sour-puss”. What fun would a God that people understood be?

Tim

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account