General answers to posts

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 515 total)
  • Author
    kejonn
    Participant

Don't get me wrong though. I believe you can be a Abrahamic believer and accomplish much of what I speak of. I think you have to be a very liberal believer though. To me, that means that you must not take parts of the bible as literal but allegorical. When the bible says God was on the side of the Jews as they killed men, women, children and animals, you need to realize that the Jews wanted to believe this. IMO, God was not in these actions at all. God does not choose one part of His creation and show them favoritism. Not by backing such heinous deeds in any case. He is equally available to all, not just Jews, Christians, or Muslims. Just like a great dad does not play fovorites with his children, God does not show favoritism to any people group based on their faith.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj,
    So you would design your own god now?
    You elevate yourself above scripture and the fearsome God Who wrote it through men?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    You say
    “That is not to say He can't be worshiped and that it is wrong to do so. Rather, I believe true worship is not found in singing or praying but working. Working to improve ourselves both inside and out, with out thoughts, words and deeds. Working to imrpove our relationship with our fellow man, no matter the race, sex or religion. We all share the same planet, we need to stop thinking we are superior or inferior in any way from any other man or woman based on any factor. Some religions can make you feel superior or at least make you avoid those of other faiths (or no faith) and that is not — IMHO — how God wants us to be. “

So the second commandment is greater than the first?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Nick,

Scriptures tell us that they are useful. which ones tell us that every word is true?
    Do you honestly believe that God said that it was allright to rape a young virgin as long as you married her and paid her dad 50 scheckles?

How can you believe that is true of God just because it is written in scriptures?

I think that God is going to ask a lot of people, “How could you believe that about me?”

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tim4,
    So if you begin to dissect scripture and cast aside what is distasteful then who is in charge?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Nick,

God is in charge, telling me not to believe any of the nonsense that was written about Him.
    God would say, “Believe what is written that defines Me as I am.”

Now, you never answered my simple question did you.
    Do you honestly believe that God said that it was allright to rape a young virgin as long as you married her and paid her dad 50 scheckles? That is what the bible says that God said.
    Just tell me if you believe it.

Tim

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Nick,

My dad died yesterday so I am going to be away for a few days.
    I hope that I see an answer from you to that question when I come back. Not just another question to side step the answer.
    I honestly want to know how decent people can convince themselves that evil is good because God supposedly said it.

Bless you Nick, I love you.

tim

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 07 2008,11:59)
    Hi Kj,
    So you would design your own god now?
    You elevate yourself above scripture and the fearsome God Who wrote it through men?

Why not? He will be morally superior — as God should be — to the pouty, jealous, angry, bloodthirsty god of the bible.

Seriously, you say I am “designing my own god” when in reality you are just settling on a version designed by a certain small tribe of people.

And there is absolutely no real reason to believe God actually spoke through the people who wrote the bible. Maybe sometimes, but many times not. If you accept that version of God, more power to ya.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 07 2008,12:42)
    Hi KJ,
    You say
    “That is not to say He can't be worshiped and that it is wrong to do so. Rather, I believe true worship is not found in singing or praying but working. Working to improve ourselves both inside and out, with out thoughts, words and deeds. Working to imrpove our relationship with our fellow man, no matter the race, sex or religion. We all share the same planet, we need to stop thinking we are superior or inferior in any way from any other man or woman based on any factor. Some religions can make you feel superior or at least make you avoid those of other faiths (or no faith) and that is not — IMHO — how God wants us to be. “

So the second commandment is greater than the first?

Not when you realize that you can love God through people.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    That sounds like a great new age idea.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim4,
    Our prayers are for you in this painful time.

kejonn
    Participant

Nope, actually it comes from writings older than much of the bible.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj,
    Are you still wading through maps with no light to guide you?

kejonn
    Participant

Nick, are you still in the middle of the desert because the your map led you there?

kejonn
    Participant

Nick,

BTW, I tested all things and did not find the “good” in the bible. I found much good but also much not so good.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    The Spirit of God guided the Prophets and this blessing is accessible to all God's reborn children.
    Why wander off into fruitless and useless philosophy?

kejonn
    Participant

Well, since modern archaeology is proving that much of the first six books of the bible is false (at least very embellished), where does that leave the integrity of the remainder of the book?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Is your faith in the hands of archeologists?

kejonn
    Participant

No, I already knew there were issues before I found out about the archaeology. The archaeology just adds to the problem. I knew I could not put my trust in a God who ordered the slaughter of innocent children.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    So the archeologists gave some substance to your doubts?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 515 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account