General answers to posts

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 515 total)
  • Author
    Mandy
    Participant

Hi Kejonn,

The only problem is that we speak in words, while we can not be certain how He speaks. Is that a true form of communication?

Abraham spoke with God. I'm assuming they used words but maybe they used hand signals or something – like in baseball? :laugh: I'm just kidd'en ya.

kejonn
    Participant

Why must you assume God used words? Does He speak to anybody today in that fashion? If He spoke in words beack then, why did He stop? Why did He stop doing the miracles?

So many things God supposedly did thousands of years ago, He quite obviously no longer does. People will try to make excuses and say it is because we are wicked, blah blah blah, but that doesn't cut the mustard.

Modern archaeology is proving that some of what was said to happen in the Bible has no support whatsoever. For instance, archaeology does not support the idea that there were ever millions of people wandering the desert of Sinai. That brings the whole story of Exodus into question. In fact, a Rabbi said in a speech in 2001 that the Exodus did not happen.

In modern times, as science reveals much of the biblical record to be questionable, one has to choose to either ignore the findings and believe regardless or readjust the interpretation of such stories as allegorical. Think of them as ancient parables of inspiration.

So to bring this back around, the idea that God came down and spoke with anyone just doesn't have any realistic support. I think God rather speaks through our intentions and subconscious. I think He speaks to our soul, not to our ears.

Just MHO.

TimothyVI
    Participant

It is curious that when Adam spoke with God it was an informal conversation.
    Like they were sitting together in a garden.
    When Abraham spoke with God he had nerve enough to even disagree with God's decisions.
    When Moses spoke with God it was a fearsome event like talking to a blast furnace.
    When I speak to God I hear no vocal answers, but I have seen results.

Tim

Mandy
    Participant

Hmmmm

Well, if God didn't use words to communicate to his peeps then there is just more in question than there are answers at this point. Most of the biblical accounts are based on “hearing” from God, or “The LORD said thus and so….”. Some accounts even record that they heard a voice! So, I guess it is true that once you start questioning you may as well throw the baby out too. Bye-bye baby….

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ Feb. 29 2008,06:45)
    Modern archaeology is proving that some of what was said to happen in the Bible has no support whatsoever. For instance, archaeology does not support the idea that there were ever millions of people wandering the desert of Sinai. That brings the whole story of Exodus into question. In fact, a Rabbi said in a speech in 2001 that the Exodus did not happen.

This doesn't rattle me too much.

You know it's windy in the desert….maybe the bones of the dead are buried so deep noone will ever find them! Maybe someday a massive earthquake in the desert will make her give up her dead? Who knows?

But I do agree that a lot of the “stories” of the OT do not seem possible or even based on the basic laws we are forced to abide by. Maybe the world was different way back when?

kejonn
    Participant

Not necessarily. I think overall the bible gives us a record of the changing spirituality of the Jews and then to a small extent, Christians. Like Tim pointed out, even the way people communicated with God seemed to change. Was that because God changed or was it because the people's views of God were changing?

Even today you hear people say “God told me…”. Has anyone felt led to ask them “just exactly how did God tell you?”. Most would likely respond by saying in a dream or through a strong urge. Yet, how often do we feel God is telling us something that later turns out to be wrong? What do we do then?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Feb. 29 2008,00:09)

Quote (kejonn @ Feb. 28 2008,13:54)
    Come to think of it, love and devotion appears to be more prevalent in the canine species than many other.

Hi kejohn,

Do you think that it is a coincidence that dog is God spelled backwards.

Tim

Hi Tim4,
    You say this about a God you are so grateful to?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 29 2008,08:51)

Quote (TimothyVI @ Feb. 29 2008,00:09)

Quote (kejonn @ Feb. 28 2008,13:54)
    Come to think of it, love and devotion appears to be more prevalent in the canine species than many other.

Hi kejohn,

Do you think that it is a coincidence that dog is God spelled backwards.

Tim

Hi Tim4,
    You say this about a God you are so grateful to?

I don't quite understand what you mean Nick.

I was merely pointing out that the only other thing that regularly gives us complete, undeserved love, besides God, is a dog.
    Isn't it a coincidence that God spelled backwards is dog.

Did man know this when he gave that name to a canine?

Do you always think the worst of people Nick?

Tim

kejonn
    Participant

Give it a rest Nick. You can't even see that Tim was referring to the loving and obedient character of most dogs, not in any way insulting God. You seem to take offense to anything that does not match up with your sensibilities.

For a Christian who claims the love of God and Jesus and the freedom it brings, you sure are uptight.

Oh and quit addressing me in threads I can't respond in. I'm not going to answer you if you can't bring your question to a board I can use.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Feb. 29 2008,09:02)
    Do you always think the worst of people Nick?

I have to say that I was happy when Nick came back to join us, I had genuinely missed him.

But after some observations I have concluded that when he was on vacation/taking a break, we all had more meaningful dialogs that were not digs here and there. Plus, more contributed. It wasn't a banter-fest between Nick and whom ever he chose to pick on.

Really Nick, I'm thinking you have become more of a spoon that stirs the pot than a post that points people in the way of truth. What gives?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Nick,
    On second thought I apologize to you.
    When I made that statement I failed to think about how dogs are viewed in different cultures
    around the world.
    My dog is my best friend and gives me unconditional love, just like God.
    In some places a dog is considered the evening meal. I need to be more
    understanding.

Tim

Mandy
    Participant

Naw, Tim, I think Nick was just trying to pick you like he does sometimes. No one who knows you would have thought you meant it the way Nick took it.

Besides, I love my Golden Retriever and my little baby Shit zhu! They are just like my kids. Sometimes my husband even gets jealous of the dogs (uh-oh! :laugh: ).

Most people relate dogs to love and fun and they know what you meant.

Mandy
    Participant

Nick writes:
    Hi,
    Those who are holding the scriptures up to public mockery are also despising the Spirit of God Who wrote them. They would not do that if the feared our God and His warning about speaking against His Spirit.

Nick, have you noticed that in a lot of these threads you are talking to yourself? You keep bumping threads and making posts but noone contributes. Have you wondered why? Your spirit does not encourage, it discourages. You may want to think about that?

Regarding this entry that you have made, it's just your mean-spirited opinon. Men wrote the bible, Nick. If this is not true, are you willing to say that the errors we have found like 1John 5:7 was the work of the Spirit of God? Of course you wouldn't want to agree to that! But it poses a problem doesn't it? Which words are written by the Spirit of God and which ones can we contribute to men?

Maybe you can point us in the right direction on that?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi mandy,
    1 Corinthians 4:14
    I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.

Colossians 1:28
    Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

1 Thessalonians 5:14
    Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

kejonn
    Participant

Nick, you were doing fine until 1 Thes 5:14. Now it appears you are calling Mandy unruly, feebleminded, and weak.

Congratulations.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kj,
    You must be bored.

kejonn
    Participant

Hey, I'm not the one with 22k+ posts.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 29 2008,12:27)
    Hi mandy,
    1 Corinthians 4:14
    I write not these things to shame you, but as my beloved sons I warn you.

Colossians 1:28
    Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

1 Thessalonians 5:14
    Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.

Hi Nick,

I understand your position. I guess in your way, you are only trying to help? Or maybe closer to the truth is that you really want to help?

Whatever the case is, you cannot claim to “not know much” and then also claim your position is in line with “…teaching every man in all wisdom…”.

I have asked you very clear, simple questions. You banter. I'm sorry, that is not the same as teaching. It's almost exasperating, which is far from encouragement.

I believe every mature Christian has the responsibility to take 1 Thes. to heart. I know that WJ has been an excellent role model in this case towards me (on the boards and off). Nick, you have the “warning” part down pat, that's for sure. :;): Maybe could I ask for a little more comfort for my feeble mind? A little more support when I am needed to discuss scriptures and their problems (lets not deny that there are problems – that doesn't help). And patience……when you are patient with someone you do not ask if they are bored. Right?

Hey, none of us are perfect. But you have put yourself in a leadership role here – more is expected of you. May I suggest that you allow conversations to blossom around you before you dig in with your attacks. Putting folks on the defense from the jump never produces anything good. There is a difference between warning someone; speaking the truth in love, and putting someone on the defense.

Anyway, who am I to you? I'm just one who was among you and now I've been traded. It's been made clear to me that there is no love-loss between us. Sad.

Mandy
    Participant

Quote (Mandy @ Feb. 29 2008,10:03)
    Regarding this entry that you have made, it's just your mean-spirited opinon. Men wrote the bible, Nick. If this is not true, are you willing to say that the errors we have found like 1John 5:7 was the work of the Spirit of God? Of course you wouldn't want to agree to that! But it poses a problem doesn't it? Which words are written by the Spirit of God and which ones can we contribute to men?

Nick, are you willing to address this? All attitude aside, I really would like to know in light of some errors of the bible, how are we to know which words are from the Spirit of God and which are credited to man?
    Thanks,
    Mandy

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi mandy,
    You need the map and the compass.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 515 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account