Fully God, Fully Man

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 394 total)
  • Author
    Tim2
    Participant

Hi WIT,

“Not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by the taking of the manhood into God.” This phrase means that the two natures of Jesus, God and man, were preserved when Jesus became man. The verses I gave you showed that Jesus is both God and man, meaning that his Godhead did not cease to be by being converted into flesh. The word “absorption” is not in the creeds.

In answer to your second set of questions, yes, the reason is that Jesus emptied Himself, like I said. He is omniscient, omnipotent, and immortal, but He chose to not be these things while He was on earth. That's what Philippians 2:6-7 say.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WIT,
    You say
    “These verses indicate that Jesus was in the flesh. “
    So you accept that the vessel of the Son of God existed and came in the flesh?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ April 07 2007,06:52)
    Hi WIT,

“Not by conversion of the Godhead into flesh, but by the taking of the manhood into God.”  This phrase means that the two natures of Jesus, God and man, were preserved when Jesus became man.  The verses I gave you showed that Jesus is both God and man, meaning that his Godhead did not cease to be by being converted into flesh.  The word “absorption” is not in the creeds.

In answer to your second set of questions, yes, the reason is that Jesus emptied Himself, like I said.  He is omniscient, omnipotent, and immortal, but He chose to not be these things while He was on earth.  That's what Philippians 2:6-7 say.

Tim

Hi Tim2,
    So Christ actullly knew when he was to return but because he had switched off this knowledge he could not access that information at the time?

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

Jesus knew. He knows all things. He chose not to know all things as part of His ministry. Jesus is also immortal, but He chose to die.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    Are there other things he KNEW but somehow chose not to remember?
    He remembered where he came from, Who his father is, the glory he had with that God but forgot when he was coming back?
    Are you sure you are not working backwards from the trinity theory using logic rather than scripture?

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

We are told twice that Jesus knows all things. John 16:30 and 21:17. It looks to me like you're ignoring these Scriptures.

Tim

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Tim2,

You wrote elsewhere:

Hi Not3in1,

I'm sorry to say this, but if you deny the Trinity, you are not a brother of Christ.

Tim

I hate to tell you this, but by this standard, you are not a brother of Christ either, as you just confessed a heresy in one of your previous posts.

You wrote:

In answer to your second set of questions, yes, the reason is that Jesus emptied Himself, like I said.  He is omniscient, omnipotent, and immortal, but He chose to not be these things while He was on earth.  That's what Philippians 2:6-7 say.

According to a prominent Trinitarian apologetics website, you have just confessed the Kenosis heresy.  They write, in part:

The kenosis theory states that Jesus gave up some of His divine attributes while He was a man here on earth. These attributes were omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence. Christ did this voluntarily so that He could function as a man in order to fulfill the work of redemption. This view was first introduced in the late 1800s in Germany with Gottfried Thomasius (1802-75), a Lutheran theologian.  
        Phil. 2:5-8 does not teach that Jesus gave up any of His divine attributes since it says nothing of those attributes. Instead, it is speaking of His humility that moved him, according to the will of the Father, to leave His majestic state in heaven and enter into the humble position of human nature.  

The Kenosis theory is a dangerous doctrine because if it were true then it would mean that Jesus was not fully divine.  If Jesus was not fully divine, then His atoning work would not be sufficient to atone for the sins of the world.

Repent, while you still can!  :D

By the way, is that your final answer?

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Nick wrote:

Hi WIT,
    You say

Wrong topic.  If you really want to discuss this, meet me in the debate forum with a proper challenge.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ April 07 2007,07:11)
    Hi Nick,

We are told twice that Jesus knows all things.  John 16:30 and 21:17.  It looks to me like you're ignoring these Scriptures.

Tim

Hi Tim2,
    Then I shall ignore them no longer

Jn 16
    30Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God.
    Jn 21
    17He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

So he knew all things
    except
    when he was coming back?

Tim2
    Participant

Hi WIT,

Thanks for the rebuke. It's always good to be hit with some good Trinitarian truth.

So I defer to my Trinitarian brethren. Jesus did not give up His omniscience while on earth. He knew all things, then as now.

I hope everyone on this site joins me in repenting and embracing the truth of the Trinity.

Tim

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Tim2 wrote:

Hi WIT,

Thanks for the rebuke.  It's always good to be hit with some good Trinitarian truth.  

So I defer to my Trinitarian brethren.  Jesus did not give up His omniscience while on earth.  He knew all things, then as now.

I hope everyone on this site joins me in repenting and embracing the truth of the Trinity.

Tim

Groovy.  Back to the question at hand then.

How do you answer the five questions?

Can one be fully God, or fully have the nature of God, and yet be ignorant, (Mark 13:32)?

Can one be fully God, or fully have the nature of God, and yet be powerless, (John 5:30)?

Can one be fully God, or fully have the nature of God, and yet lack wisdom, (Luke 2:52)?

Can one be fully God, or fully have the nature of God, and yet need perfecting, (Hebrews 5:9)?

Can one be fully God, or fully have the nature of God, and yet die, (Revelations 2:8)?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim 2,
    Matt 24
    ” 36But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.”
    Mk 13
    ” 32″But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone. “

Acts 1
    ” 7He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; “

Seems there is a difference between the Father and the Son here.

Tim2
    Participant

Hi WIT,

Well, since we know Jesus did not become less divine on earth, and His Godhead knew all things, was omniscient, immortal, etc., we know therefore that these verses refer to Jesus in His manhood, which grew and learned.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim 2,
    Was he only partially omniscient for a while?

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

No, the Son, the Logos, is omniscient and always has been. Men are not. These verses speak of the human nature of Christ, not His divine nature.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    So he was not a man?

Tim2
    Participant

No,

Jesus was a man. He is also God.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    You just said men are not omniscient??

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ April 07 2007,07:21)
    Nick wrote:

Hi WIT,
    You say

Wrong topic.  If you really want to discuss this, meet me in the debate forum with a proper challenge.

OK WIT,
    Can I please have an appointment to see you in the Son of God thread?

Phoenix
    Participant

Quote (Tim2 @ April 07 2007,07:04)
    Hi Nick,

Jesus knew.  He knows all things.  He chose not to know all things as part of His ministry.  Jesus is also immortal, but He chose to die.

Tim

Wow, I cant believe I read this. So Jesus lied to his disciples/apostles?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 394 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account