Free Will?

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 3,826 total)
  • Author
    dirtyknections
    Participant

Romans 8:21
    that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.

Psalm 119:45
    I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts.

1 Corinthians 8:9
    Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    [ The Believer's Freedom ] “Everything is permissible”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible”—but not everything is constructive.

1 Corinthians 10:29
    the other man's conscience, I mean, not yours. For why should my freedom be judged by another's conscience?

2 Corinthians 3:17
    Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

Galatians 2:4
    This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.

Galatians 5:1
    [ Freedom in Christ ] It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

Galatians 5:13
    You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love.

Ephesians 3:12
    In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.

James 1:25
    But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.

James 2:12
    Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,

Simply put…if “free” means-Not imprisoned or enslaved; being at liberty. Not controlled by obligation or the will of another
    and
    freedom means-the condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints..

also taking into account that… “freewill” means-done of your own accord; “a freewill offering”
    voluntary – of your own free will or design; done by choice; not forced or compelled

and “will” means- The mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides upon a course of action

Then what in the devil is Paul and James talking about when they refer to “freedom”?

Here's your answer: its the same “freedom” that Christ wants us to express here…

Revelation 22:17 … 17The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

Not3in1
    Participant

Playing games? Ha, I don't think so. No one plays Russian Roulet with their soul on purpose. My question was a good one however it is difficult to answer, isn't it?

According to your idea of what God teaches in the bible, the devout Christian who sinned without being *able* to ask for forgiveness at the end of his life would be destroyed while the other person who chose to live an evil life gets to live simply because he was able to ask for forgiveness at the end.

Shaking head…….
    THIS IS NOT JUST!

Not3in1
    Participant

Hbr. 10:26

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

**This would include everyone I know**

I guess we are all out of luck!

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 15 2008,15:01)
    Hbr.  10:26

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins.

**This would include everyone I know**

I guess we are all out of luck!

Practicing sin wilfully without repenting? Then yes, those are out of luck by their own choosing. I have practiced sin wilfully but I don't and I won't.

If God says to us His children, “Be ye Holy for I am Holy”, and we then are being conformed to his standard of holiness, how then do you think that you would be qualified to judge whether he is just or not?

Not3in1
    Participant

If you are a Christian then ANY SIN you are involved with is wilfully entered in to.

Notice the scripture does not say there is no more sacrifice for sin for those who DO NOT REPENT, as you say. It simply says, if you know what you are doing then you are out of luck!

Sure, we are to be holy as God is holy. But we are also to contend with our human natures? That almost sounds cruel. It's like telling a child he can't have any cake and then leaving the child unattended in a room with a huge, chocolate cake!!

I'm exhausted tonight. I better go to bed. I'm not getting it, bro. Let's face it, I'm the only one around here who seems to be constantly doubting. Maybe I am one that is predestined to fall away. I'm always studying but never learning…..we know about those types.

Goodnight,
    Mandy

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 15 2008,15:25)
    If you are a Christian then ANY SIN you are involved with is wilfully entered in to.  

Notice the scripture does not say there is no more sacrifice for sin for those who DO NOT REPENT, as you say.  It simply says, if you know what you are doing then you are out of luck!

Sure, we are to be holy as God is holy.  But we are also to contend with our human natures?  That almost sounds cruel.  It's like telling a child he can't have any cake and then leaving the child unattended in a room with a huge, chocolate cake!!

I'm exhausted tonight.  I better go to bed.  I'm not getting it, bro.  Let's face it, I'm the only one around here who seems to be constantly doubting.  Maybe I am one that is predestined to fall away.  I'm always studying but never learning…..we know about those types.

Goodnight,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

There is a difference between yielding to a temptation and sinning wilfully and practicing sin wilfully (on a continual basis without repenting).

Does the chocolate cake mean more to you then what God has promised to those who love him?

Not3in1
    Participant

Brother, what I am trying to show you is that the scriptures you gave did not allow for repentence. It simply said that if you know the truth and you sin – there is NO SACRIFICE left for those.

Sometimes I DO love the chocolate cake more! :;):
    I am not alone, either.

Thanks,
    Mandy

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    There is sin and sin.
    Sin is in the eye of the Beholder.
    Love and rescuing brothers can cover many sins.

1Jn5
    16If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

18We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Jas5
    19Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Not3in1
    Participant

Great. More confusion, thanks Nick. 😉

Scripture is as clear as a mud-puddle sometimes.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    God is not a God of confusion so trust him and not your understanding.

prov3
    5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 16 2008,02:37)
    Brother, what I am trying to show you is that the scriptures you gave did not allow for repentence.  It simply said that if you know the truth and you sin – there is NO SACRIFICE left for those.

Sometimes I DO love the chocolate cake more!  :;):
    I am not alone, either.  

Thanks,
    Mandy

Hi Mandy:

1Cr 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence [is] fulness of joy; at thy right hand [there are] pleasures for evermore.

No chocolate cake for me.

1Jo 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
    1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
    1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1Jo 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    1Jo 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Not3in1
    Participant

Sorry, but we all get a serving of chocolate cake. To me, the cake represents human nature. We are all bound over to disobedience. Even the very commandments that were put in place stimulate the desire to break them. But Paul warns – this does not give us the right to continue in this manner however it explains it. The very thing you want to do is what you don't do and that you don't want to do – you do! So, with all due respect, you cannot be above Paul? :;):

We try. That's all any of us can do.

Love,
    Mandy

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 16 2008,12:17)
    Sorry, but we all get a serving of chocolate cake.  To me, the cake represents human nature.  We are all bound over to disobedience.  Even the very commandments that were put in place stimulate the desire to break them.  But Paul warns – this does not give us the right to continue in this manner however it explains it.  The very thing you want to do is what you don't do and that you don't want to do – you do!  So, with all due respect, you cannot be above Paul?  :;):

We try.  That's all any of us can do.

Love,
    Mandy

No Mandy:

I am not above the Apostle Paul, but I believe that you have misunderstood some scriptures. I have no desire to disobey the commandments of God nor do they stimulate in me the desire to break them.

Again, no chocolate cake for me.

God Bless

Participant

Hi Mandy:

Let's read what the Apostle Paul said in context:

Rom 7:7 ¶ What shall we say then? [Is] the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Rom 7:8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin [was] dead.

Rom 7:9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Rom 7:10  And the commandment, which [was ordained] to life, I found [to be] unto death.

Rom 7:11  For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew [me].

Rom 7:12  Wherefore the law [is] holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Rom 7:13 ¶ Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

Rom 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Rom 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that [it is] good.

Rom 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:18  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

Rom 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

Rom 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Rom 7:21  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

Rom 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Rom 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom 7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Rom 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin
    Rom 8:1 ¶ [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Rom 8:3  For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Rom 8:4  That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom 8:5  For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

Rom 8:6  For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.

Rom 8:7  Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Rom 8:8  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Rom 8:9  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Rom 8:10  And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

Rom 8:11  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Rom 8:12 ¶ Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

Rom 8:13  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Rom 8:14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God

In the scriptures of chapter 7 Paul was referring to living under the Old Testament Law.

I hope this helps.

God Bless

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    Many seem to assume that the sons of God are those reborn of the Spirit
    but it is rather those who allow themselves to be led by the Spirit.

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 16 2008,13:09)
    Hi 94,
    Many seem to assume that the sons of God are those reborn of the Spirit
    but it is rather those who allow themselves to be led by the Spirit.

Hi Nick:

Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 16 2008,12:48)

Sorry, but we all get a serving of chocolate cake.  To me, the cake represents human nature.  We are all bound over to disobedience.  Even the very commandments that were put in place stimulate the desire to break them.  But Paul warns – this does not give us the right to continue in this manner however it explains it.  The very thing you want to do is what you don't do and that you don't want to do – you do!  So, with all due respect, you cannot be above Paul?  :;):

Love,
    Mandy

No Mandy:

I am not above the Apostle Paul, but I believe that you have misunderstood some scriptures.  I have no desire to disobey the commandments of God nor do they stimulate in me the desire to break them.

Again, no chocolate cake for me.

God Bless

Romans 7:8
    But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead.

Romans 7:9
    Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died.

Not3in1
    Participant

The Commandments indeed DO stimulate us towards sin. See the above scriptures. What do you think?

Mandy

Not3in1
    Participant

Today when I was at the Fair with some girlfriends there was a booth that had a sheet over it but you could sort of peak in. I said to my friends, “Now see, they put that sheet up and it just makes me want to look in all the more.”

And then I thought of this thread and the Commandments……

theodorej
    Participant

Love,
    Mandy

Greetings Mandy…..The correct scripture…..slam dunk…point made

Viewing 20 posts - 601 through 620 (of 3,826 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account