Does understanding prophecy matter?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Some people think that seeking to understand prophecy is not that important. They argue that we should instead concentrate on making sure our lives are right with God each day. While I agree that we should indeed concentrate on how we live our lives and getting to know God more each day, I want to prove that understanding prophecy is really important too.

Prophecy is the Word of God and makes up something like one-third of all the Bible. We are also told that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Further we are taught to hear the voice of Jesus our shepherd.

Revelation 19:10
    Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

John 10:27
    My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

If understanding prophecy didn’t matter, then we could throw away one-third of the Bible and think of all the paper saved from printed Bible’s that were two-thirds in size.

Of course as you can see from teh two scriptures above prophecy is very important. We should seek to understand it with all our hearts and minds. The reason is this. It prepares us for what will happen and when it comes to pass, we know what season of God we are in. Further, when we see these things come to pass as they were written, we know that God is true, that he is in control, and that he revealed this to his prophets for edification.This is also true of Jesus. Prophecies spoken by him that come to pass is confirmation that he is who he says he is.

Jesus said this: “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am”.

If you still do not think it is that important, then read these scripture below to remove all doubt..

Revelation 1:2-3
    who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.
    Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy, and heed the things which are written in it; for the time is near.

Revelation 22:6-7
    And he said to me, “These words are faithful and true”; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must soon take place. “And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book

Matthew 24:15
    “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel–let the reader understand

Luke 11:28
    He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”

Romans 13:11
    And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.

Proverbs 8:34
    Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway.

Daniel 12:11-13
    “From the time that the regular sacrifice is abolished and the abomination of desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days. “How blessed is he who keeps waiting and attains to the 1,335 days! “But as for you, go your way to the end; then you will enter into rest and rise again for your allotted portion at the end of the age.”

Luke 11:27-28
    While Jesus was saying these things, one of the women in the crowd raised her voice and said to Him, “Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed.” But He said, “On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”

Wakeup
    Participant

A BIG AMEN TO THAT STATEMENT.

wakeup.

terraricca
    Participant

yes ;Revelation 19:10
    Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.”

but how do we testify about Christ is crucial ; and the reason for our testimony as to be in harmony with the scriptures and our lives ,

and what prophecy are you looking for ;? since Christ told that he will be back in the clouds and that the last prophecy said by him is related to Jerusalem (70 AD)

then it is the end of this age ; what really means the time that God as set to end this world and bring all things to its end ,and reward those that love him ,

and in the mean time we just wait ;the patients of the saint ;

Rev 22:10 Then he told me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, because the time is near.
    Rev 22:11 Let him who does wrong continue to do wrong; let him who is vile continue to be vile; let him who does right continue to do right; and let him who is holy continue to be holy.”

Rev 22:12 “Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

it seems that most of you do not talk about prophecies but about speculations of what you believe to be an exercise to your understanding of what you believe to be true prophecy ;but is it ?

changing at a constant in time does not seem to be truth in prophecy right ?

I have much doubts about the old prophets acting this way ; for if we look for truth we do let our imagination run wild,

it looks more like trowing a ten dollar bill from a fourth floor window and look who will pick it up ,

Proclaimer
    Participant

I agree that many theories out there look like drawing at straws or connecting dots that should not be connected. This happens because people subscribe to a view, and most views have difficulties, so they think hard how to overcome them. Finally, they have invested so much time in making the theory water tight, that when signs come along that point to a different view, they are unable or not willing to turn their ship around. This is the main reason I remain open minded to the truth. I want to be ready to accept new things that happen and where they may fit in prophecy.

Something has to be the truth, so I continue to be a watchman. Further, I test all teaching, hence why I post in Heaven Net at all. I am testing everything and opening it up to scrutiny.

But to say that it doesn’t matter or that we should just wait and do nothing proactive, well I am against that. If we are fair, open, teachable, and truth seekers, then we will know the truth in God’s time.

1 Thessalonians 5:4
    But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.

Proverbs 25:2
    It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

terraricca
    Participant

t8
    1Th 5:1 Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you,
    1Th 5:2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night.
    1Th 5:3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
    1Th 5:4 But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief.
    1Th 5:5 You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness.
    1Th 5:6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.
    1Th 5:7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night.
    1Th 5:8 But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
    1Th 5:9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Lk 21:21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city.
    Lk 21:22 For this is the time of punishment(wrath) in fulfillment of all that has been written.
    Lk 21:23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people.
    Lk 21:24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Lk 23:28 Jesus turned and said to them, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep for yourselves and for your children.
    Lk 23:29 For the time will come when you will say, ‘Blessed are the barren women, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed!’
    Lk 23:30 Then
    “ ‘they will say to the mountains, “Fall on us!”
    and to the hills, “Cover us!” ’
    Lk 23:31 For if men do these things when the tree is green, what will happen when it is dry?”

this is what i understand those words that Paul said the destruction of Jerusalem 70 AD the wrath of God against Israel ;and Christians were not unaware of that prophecy for it was well known in their circle ,for it was to escape the wrath of God ;no one knew when but knew it was coming and when the sign of Daniel came as Jesus told them they took it at heart and moved out of Jerusalem ,history will tell you that ;

Pr 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
    Pr 1:2 for attaining wisdom and discipline;
    for understanding words of insight;
    Pr 1:3 for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life,
    doing what is right and just and fair;
    Pr 1:4 for giving prudence to the simple,
    knowledge and discretion to the young—
    Pr 1:5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
    and let the discerning get guidance—
    Pr 1:6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
    the sayings and riddles of the wise.

I do love prophecy but i hate people ideas of their imagination ,where their is no truth in it ;

Devolution
    Participant

Greetings Wakeup,

I back that with my own AMEN ..

Amos 3:7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Psalms 25:14 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.

Een fijne dag gewenst Wakeup.

Wakeup
    Participant

Alles goed met jou?
    wakeup.

Devolution
    Participant

ik ben het verbeteren thanks Wakeup .. haha, what a strange language!!

ik zal u snel zien God willing.

terraricca
    Participant

devo/wakeup

are you guys now learning dutch ? ha,ha,ha

Proclaimer
    Participant

If both of you are leaning Dutch is that Double Dutch?

Devolution
    Participant

Terra ..

Wakeup can speak & write Dutch .. I’m cheating (copying & pasting) 🙂

T8 .. Suppose it is Double Dutch isn’t it, lol!

keras
    Participant

Here is a Bible passage that seems to fit how internet forums operate in our modern age: Ezekiel 33:30-33 People gather in groups and talk among themselves, saying: Let us see if there is any message from the Lord.
    So people will read what is posted, but they will not act on it. Fine words, they will say, with insincerity, for their hearts are set on going their own way and they believe false teachers who promote prosperity and removal from any Tribulation.
    To them, anyone who posts the truth of the Prophetic Word, is no more than a singer of fine songs, or a gifted musician. They will read the truth as presented, but none will take heed of it.
    When disaster comes, as it come will, only then will they remember that they were warned, but failed to take notice of what God’s prophets told them.
    REB Condensed and paraphrased.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kerras,

You see your personal predictions as divine warnings?

Others take them with a grain of salt.

keras
    Participant

Nick, the Bible prophesies ARE divine warnings. If you’ take them with a grain of salt’, then you are exactly fulfilling Ezekiel 33.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Keras,

The bible is truth.

Your understandings less reliable

Proclaimer
    Participant

Here is a Bible passage that seems to fit how internet forums operate in our modern age: Ezekiel 33:30-33 People gather in groups and talk among themselves, saying: Let us see if there is any message from the Lord.
    So people will read what is posted, but they will not act on it. Fine words, they will say, with insincerity, for their hearts are set on going their own way and they believe false teachers who promote prosperity and removal from any Tribulation.
    To them, anyone who posts the truth of the Prophetic Word, is no more than a singer of fine songs, or a gifted musician. They will read the truth as presented, but none will take heed of it.
    When disaster comes, as it come will, only then will they remember that they were warned, but failed to take notice of what God’s prophets told them.
    REB Condensed and paraphrased.

This is true of some people who come here. No doubt about that.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Keras,

God can teach but “experts” often block out the light.

kerwin
    Participant

Keras,

If you do all that is right then you do not have to worry about the sword. It is only those that disobey that need to repent.

I do agree if you acknowledge a person is a prophet and he tells you to surrender to the Babylonians it is foolish to rebel and go to Egypt.

Prophecy is of some use but seek first God’s righteousness and kingdom and God will take care of you.

kerwin
    Participant

To whomever it may concern,

The Jews had the prophecy of the Christ and yet many did not believe in him while some of the Gentiles that did not have the prophecy of his coming believed in him.

Wakeup
    Participant

The dragon believe in Jesus coming also.

wakeup.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account