Do you believe the theory of Evolution to be true?

• This topic has 1,340 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 20 posts - 1,021 through 1,040 (of 1,341 total)
  • Author
    Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

Are you the paragon of normality with whom all are compared?

No, you are normal; you do not have the special powers that you claim.

Are all deluded who do not see your blighted view?

If my view is blighted, why do you bother to ask?

How can you ever claim to be a scientist?

I have never claimed to be a scientist.

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 16 2008,18:57)
    How can you ever claim to be a scientist?

Are you a scientist, Stu?

If this is so, why don't you put all your questions to a colleague….a Christian scientist, of course.

I'm sure you would find it more interesting, discussing faith with someone on the same level as yourself.

Besides, you would discover how a Christian could also be a Scientist. :)

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,18:58)
    I don't know that god does not exist.  I admit that freely and in the full knowledge that I cannot prove or even show it with much conviction.  However, you know there is a god.  

And that's the problem, isn't it?

Others have what you want.

Not that you'd admit that. :)

Stu
    Participant

Hi Nick

Your continual attempt at claiming wounded dignity when scripture is given to you is so boring.

The rules are clear. Do they not apply to you? I suppose I should not be surprised that all scripture has is insults, in lieu of anything of substance.

You drag your wounded self across the stage then spring back to attack faith in our God.

I know. It is such an effort, still I am pleased that you appreciate my efforts!

The audience would like something more positive from you if you can think of it.

How about the exquisite joy to be had from the music of Frederick Delius, the brilliant humourous observations of the atheists Douglas Adams and Tom Lehrer, the fantastic and spine-tingling ‘truth couldn’t be stranger’ biological world described by the non-believers Richard Dawkins and David Attenborough? Maybe seeing the adventures of children, who were not born believing in the death of Jesus, as they grow and explore their world. All experiences that do not require the intervention of a mythical celestial mass-murderer! Oops, I’ve probably ruined the effect. See how Christopher Hitchens was right? Religion spoils everything!

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 16 2008,19:02)
    Your continual attempt at claiming wounded dignity when scripture is given to you is so boring. You drag your wounded self across the stage then spring back to attack faith in our God. The audience would like something more positive from you if you can think of it.

Actually, no. This member of the audience is tired of going around and around in circles and getting nowhere.

But then, the blame for that will be placed at our feet, just watch! :D

Stu
    Participant

If this is so, why don't you put all your questions to a colleague….a Christian scientist, of course. I'm sure you would find it more interesting, discussing faith with someone on the same level as yourself. Besides, you would discover how a Christian could also be a Scientist.

Hi Heavens. I think it could well be worth your while reading a bit about the crackpot cult of the christian scientists before you suggest this to anyone. They are not scientists, and I doubt you would call them christian.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:15)

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,18:58)
    I don't know that god does not exist.  I admit that freely and in the full knowledge that I cannot prove or even show it with much conviction.  However, you know there is a god.  

And that's the problem, isn't it?

Sorry not reading you here Heavens. What is it you think I want?

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,19:23)
    Hi Heavens.  I think it could well be worth your while reading a bit about the crackpot cult of the christian scientists before you suggest this to anyone.  They are not scientists, and I doubt you would call them christian.

:D :D :D

I don't mean the church, Christian Scientists – I mean Scientists who are Christian.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:20)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 16 2008,19:02)
    Your continual attempt at claiming wounded dignity when scripture is given to you is so boring. You drag your wounded self across the stage then spring back to attack faith in our God. The audience would like something more positive from you if you can think of it.

Actually, no. This member of the audience is tired of going around and around in circles and getting nowhere.

But then, the blame for that will be placed at our feet, just watch! :D

I agree with you. It is groundhog day here. I don't think it is your fault. There are some who could make the effort to get up to speed with a few things though. Since this thread is about evolution, would you care to have a go at the challenge to explain the theory of evolution by natural selection without referring to wikipedia? Most people here either can't or won't.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:29)

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,19:23)
    Hi Heavens.  I think it could well be worth your while reading a bit about the crackpot cult of the christian scientists before you suggest this to anyone.  They are not scientists, and I doubt you would call them christian.

:D :D :D

I don't mean the church, Christian Scientists – I mean Scientists who are Christian.

Do you mean the 36% of scientists who are christian and accept the theory of evolution by natural selection, or the 4% who are creationists?

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,19:29)
    I agree with you.  It is groundhog day here.  I don't think it is your fault.  ….  Since this thread is about evolution, would you care to have a go at the challenge to explain the theory of evolution by natural selection without referring to wikipedia?   Most people here either can't or won't.

No thanks, got better things to do.

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:33)

I agree with you.  It is groundhog day here.  I don't think it is your fault.  ….  Since this thread is about evolution, would you care to have a go at the challenge to explain the theory of evolution by natural selection without referring to wikipedia?   Most people here either can't or won't.

Besides, do you ever think a squawking bird and an ape who can't see will ever agree? :laugh:

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:38)

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 16 2008,19:33)

Besides, do you ever think a squawking bird and an ape who can't see will ever agree?  :laugh:

I don't know. What if the squawking bird was also an ape?

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 16 2008,20:11)

No thanks, got better things to do.Besides, do you ever think a squawking bird and an ape who can't see will ever agree?  :laugh:

I don't know.  What if the squawking bird was also an ape?

You can get into all sorts of trouble when you start mixing up the species. :p

acertainchap
    Participant

In Stu's defense I'd like to ask you if you'd admit it if you wanted something someone else had and would go as far as to ask if YOU would admit that. Sense you made this statement the burden lies with you. :)

Stu
    Participant

Hi acretainchap and Heavens

All three of us would claim we want to know the truth. The two of you already have a preconcieved idea of what the truth looks like and I have a preconcieved notion of the best way to find truth. The provisional results from my means of finding truth would seem to contradict your existing idea of truth. I could be wrong, but so could you.

I do still defend the truth-finding method I expouse as the only one that gives reliable results.

That's a big smily face acertainchap!

Stuart

Heavens
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ Feb. 17 2008,14:19)

Others have what you want. Not that you'd admit that. :)

I'd like to ask you if you'd admit it if you wanted something someone else had …

I believe that anyone who was jealous, wished or longed for something that someone else enjoyed would say so at some stage.

To use the current `catch phrase'…..anyone can `flip-flop'.

Stu
    Participant

Sorry acertainchap I did not mean to call you acretainchap, it was a slip of the typing finger.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Heavens @ Feb. 17 2008,14:44)

Quote (acertainchap @ Feb. 17 2008,14:19)

Others have what you want. Not that you'd admit that. :)

I'd like to ask you if you'd admit it if you wanted something someone else had …

I believe that anyone who was jealous, wished or longed for something that someone else enjoyed would say so at some stage.

To use the current `catch phrase'…..anyone can `flip-flop'.

Maybe you could explain what you meant. The implication is that I secretly would like to have religious faith like you.

Was that the intended meaning?

Stuart

Cato
    Participant

Once again a thread on the theory of evolution has been hijacked by those who find it easier to rant against Stuart's beliefs or lack thereof then stick to the subject at hand.

On one hand we have most of the creationists who say that evolution is wrong as it is incompatible with scripture, end of story.

On the other end we have a group that views a wide variety of scientifically supported evidence and from this evidence concludes that Darwin's theory is correct.

Lastly we have those of us (myself included) that say while there is strong evidence, it is still incomplete and the final conclusion may deviate from Darwin's original hypothesis.  At any rate we view this as in no way incompatible with God and creation, and the usual argument a false dichotemy set up by those with political rather then spiritual motivations.  These false science versus God conversations are rather medieval.  Does anyone here still think the Sun revolves around the Earth?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,021 through 1,040 (of 1,341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account