Do you believe the theory of Evolution to be true?

• This topic has 1,340 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 1,341 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi A4
    So despte it being agonosingly slow there is an inexorable progression towards higher levels of creation?

Stu
    Participant

Nick,

++”I am not an oracle to find your answers from.
    Remarkably ignorant even, but I do know the one who is called truth.
    Does anything else matter, except to those who claim to be wise in the world?

I achnowledge your honesty in admiting you do not know.
    There are many things of which I am profoundly ignorant.
    By the most rigorous standards of probity we can apply, the Genesis and Noachian accounts are not historical, they are mythological.

I contend that yes it does matter, it is against all we know of human nature not to satisfy our curiosity about our surroundings and origins. It is your own tag that include the words “test everything”. Despite what some people say, the theories of cosmic origins and evolution by natural selection are not mandates for murder and do not render life pointless. They are simply explanations for what we observe. If those explanations can be proven wrong then they should be discarded. This forum most certainly has not falsified any of it, and sadly few seem keen to stump up with any logical defense of the extrordinary truth claims of the Judeo-Christian holy book.

Stuart

A4J
    Participant

Hi A4,
    Is there any better book, or a better teacher than truth?

no better teacher then truth

ok your asking for proof for evolution show me proof, with empirical evidence that the bible is to the slightest degree true?
    and dont do it this way!

*vidoes explain it better and its easier for me too haha… plus this is funny*

Stu
    Participant

Hi Is 1:18

++”Incorrect. A smart christian would recognise the blatant incompatibilities between Biblical creationism and darwinian evolution. Only a very foolish christian might try to reconcile them…..

AMEN (if you'll pardon the expression!)

Stuart

A4J
    Participant

Smart people are mostly Atheist, if you want to take smart peoples belifes into consideration… and i think it does have some sort of importance but not really any proof….
    we can look at all the great scientists :D hehe jk

how is this not evolution?

it is!!! right in front of our eyes….

A4J
    Participant

for the love of god, gods, noodles, and plants that make you hallucinate *shamans?*
    watch this video

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Genesis may be written in mystical language but is full of vital truths.
    God does give scientific detail about the hows lest we miss the important messages.
    Knowledge can be a distraction from truth and understanding can be a substitute for wisdom.

Stu
    Participant

++”God does give scientific detail about the hows lest we miss the important messages.

Like, for example, what?

++”Knowledge can be a distraction from truth and understanding can be a substitute for wisdom.

So you mean if reality conflicts with faith, go with faith?

Stuart

A4J
    Participant

Knowledge can be a distraction from truth and understanding can be a substitute for wisdom.

wis·dom /ˈwɪzdəm/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[wiz-duhm] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1.the quality or state of being wise; knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action; sagacity, discernment, or insight.
    2.scholarly knowledge or learning: the wisdom of the schools.
    3.wise sayings or teachings; precepts.
    4.a wise act or saying.

knowl·edge /ˈnɒlɪdʒ/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[nol-ij] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1.acquaintance with facts, truths, or principles, as from study or investigation; general erudition: knowledge of many things.

WTFSM dood? reading out of the Book of Mormon or something?

Stu
    Participant

Hi A4J

Words like theory and fact have solid scientific or philisophical definitions. When it comes to asking a religious person how religion, god, faith, hell, heaven etc are actually defined, the dictionary is ignored, and it turns out they can mean what you want them to mean, just like Genesis.

Stuart

acertainchap
    Participant

Stu, do you believe in the story of Noah's Ark? :)

Stu
    Participant

Hi acertainchap

++”Stu, do you believe in the story of Noah's Ark?

Do you believe that when Noah opened the ark (the original mythological Tardis) at the end of the alleged flood, the gazelles had to leg it for fear of instant extinction by hungry predators?

Can you explain (Nick doesn't know) how the flightless birds of New Zealand made it from Mt. Ararat to Mt. Taranaki?

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    In the beginning there was no rain, only dew[Gen]
    At the time of the flood the “fountains of the deep were opened”
    What does this mean?
    Could the seas have formed between countries and gondwanaland split off?
    What do you make of the stars flling or being rolled up like a scroll in the bible? [Is and rev]
    ?a polar shift?

Stu
    Participant

Nick!

++”In the beginning there was no rain, only dew[Gen]
    At the time of the flood the “fountains of the deep were opened”
    What does this mean?

Good question. What does it mean? As Is 1:18 said, the account of biblical creation is at odds with the scientific view, so one who wishes to reconcile the two really has their work cut out.

The scientific view is that the Earth resulted from concretion of many small objects, themselves the result of collisions of dust particles. This could only have happened while in orbit round the sun (which, according to Gen 1:14 was created AFTER the Earth and heavens – whatever they are). The Energy from those collisions was partly retained as heat and water was present as gas, condensing on the surface when the planet had cooled sufficiently on the outside forming a crust. So the suggestion that the water originally somehow came from underground is not consistent with the evidence.
    As for the Noachan flood, there have been many flood myths in many cultures, but there is no evidence of a world-wide flood really even happening.

++”Could the seas have formed between countries and gondwanaland split off?

Did the sea levels rise as the planet cooled and the gaseous water condensed?

++”What do you make of the stars flling or being rolled up like a scroll in the bible? [Is and rev]
    ?a polar shift?

Revelation reads like the ravings of someone on hallucinogenic drugs. I think this might be a better explanation.

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

hmmm
    I expected a MAN OF SCIENCE to be more considered in their responses.

A4J
    Participant

Hi Nick

Scientifically explain why and how there wasn't any rain until the fountains of the deep were opened, also explain what the fountains of the deep are and if there is any evidence of them to this day

or just try to scientifically explain anything… we haven't seen that for a while from you have we?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi a4,
    Science is not my God.
    It is just a weak and developing measure of what is.
    But surely you do not believe the visible universe is all there is?
    What hope do you have?

acertainchap
    Participant

You don't always need evidence. You do always need faith.

A4J
    Participant

Hi a4,
    Science is not my God.
    It is just a weak and developing measure of what is.
    But surely you do not believe the visible universe is all there is?
    What hope do you have?

Science isn't what just is visible… i mean i obviously believe in gravity and radio waves…
    but if its not detectable or predicted in anyway, and seems impossible after everything is considered, its not real!

there isn't a god like force in this universe as far as i am concerned, and believe me i am

But hey… surely there should still be evidence if what all happened in the bible really did happen right?

so show me evidence :D

Why does a person need hope in the sense that your referring too?

A4J
    Participant

You don't always need evidence. You do always need faith.

why do i need faith?

faith /feɪθ/ Pronunciation Key – Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyth] Pronunciation Key – Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1.confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
    2.belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
    3.belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.

Nope!! i only need facts, proof, and logic :D
    or… lack of facts, proof and logic… hence i don't believe in a god

and why would a person NEED faith?
    its not like there gonna die if they don't have it

plus… you guys are the ones asking for proof of all this evolution stuff

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 1,341 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account