• This topic is empty.
Viewing 101 post (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 11 2010,14:17)

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 02 2010,18:27)

Quote (t8 @ Feb. 01 2010,23:44)
    Believe it or not there are people that look like that today.
    The only part that really looks ape like are the end of the nostrils which have no bone structure, so are open to interpretation anyway.

What do you mean the part that “looks like ape”?

The whole thing you are looking at is ape, just as is the thing doing the looking!

Stuart

So then we are all apparently agreed.  T8 resembles the ape.  (Just kidding.)  What I meant to say was:

What parts of that reconstruction that aren't based on artistic license and bias differ from some humans today?

To me, it seems like the longer we interpret the bones, the more we realize that those “half ape, half man” images from years ago were actually “man” with artistic lisense and bias injected into them.  Today, they look a lot more present day-ish.

I did mention earlier that the reconstruction itself is of little scientific interest. Any scientist with expertise in hominid remains would not be relying on a plasticine impression to formulate hypotheses about H. erectus.

You would compare the skull itself with a modern human skull and that would show you the most significant differences, especially the cubic capacity of the cranium.

From the Holy Wikipedia:

the earliest remains show a cranial capacity of 850 cm³, while the latest Javan specimens measure up to 1100 cm³

Homo erectus was around for a long time. The earlier examples had much smaller brains but that last figure is heading towards the range of human cranial capacity at 1200-1850 cm³.

Stuart

Viewing 101 post (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account