Daily Devotions

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Monday August 16, 2021,

God wants to free us from lusts

Like obedient children, do not conform to the lusts you once had, when you were in the dark. But since he who called you is holy, you too are holy.
    1 Peter 1:14, 15.

The powerful grace of Christ transforms those who give themselves for the service of God. Penetrated by the Spirit of the Redeemer, he is ready to forget himself, to take up his cross, to accept any sacrifice for the Master. Having been made a new creature in Christ, he is freed from his selfishness and can no longer be indifferent to the perishing souls around him. He realizes that every part of his being belongs to Christ who freed him from the bondage of sin and that every moment of his future has been redeemed by the precious blood of the Only Begotten of God.
    Christ is our model, and those who follow him will not walk in darkness, for they will not seek their own satisfaction. Glorifying God will be the constant goal of their life. Christ manifested the character of God to the world. He directed his life in such a way that men were forced to admit that he had done all things right. The Redeemer of the world was also its light, for he did not weaken in anything. Although he was the Only Begotten of God and the heir of all things in heaven and on earth, he left us no example of indolence or carelessness. …
    Christ flattered no one, he never strayed from his righteous line of conduct to gain approval or favor. He always spoke the truth, and on his lips was kindness. There was never any cheating in his mouth. Let man compare his life with that of Christ and that he strive to achieve, through the grace that Jesus communicates to those who take him for Savior, excellence in righteousness. Let him imitate the example of one who fulfilled the law of the Lord and said, “I have kept my Father’s commandments.” John 15:10. Those who follow Christ will always look to the perfect law of freedom, and by His grace will shape their character according to divine requirements.

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 19, 2021

WE THANK GOD FOR HIS INEFFABLE GIFT

Thanks be to God for his ineffable gift! (2 Corinthians 9.15)

WHILE THE VAST MAJORITY of human beings have refused the priceless offering and rejected the most costly gift that God has bestowed on the world, it is terrible to know that the human race will face the last day! It is through the infinite gift of Christ that all blessings come: life, health, friends, reason, joy, everything comes to us through the merits of Christ. O may young and old alike realize that everything comes to them through the virtue of the life and death of Christ, and recognize God’s right of ownership over them.

The apostle declares: “You are not your own” (1 Corinthians 6:19). Even as we were under the control of a cruel master, when the prince of darkness still ruled our minds, the Lord Jesus Christ paid our ransom with his own blood. […] Serve him with all your heart and stop robbing God of what is his. “The wages of sin is death; but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord ”(Romans 6:23). […]

In his providence, through his holy Word and through the messages sent through his servants, Jesus tells us every day: “Behold: I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will enter his house, and will sup with him and he with me ”(Revelation 3:20). Jesus gave his precious life for you to become a part of his divine nature. Having escaped the corruption by the lust that is in the world, therefore give yourselves to it in a vow of love and gratitude. If the love of Christ had not been granted to us freely, we would be hopeless today in our spiritual darkness. Thanks be given every day to God who gave us Jesus Christ (38).

Thinking that Christ died to bestow upon us the gift of eternal life is enough to awaken in our hearts the deepest and most sincere gratitude and to draw from our lips the most enthusiastic praise (39).

(38. The Youth’s Instructor, April 26, 1894.
    39. The Review and Herald, September 20, 1881.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 20, 2021

CHRIST IS OUR ONLY WAY OF ACCESS TO THE FATHER

It is for this also that he can perfectly save those who approach God through him, being always alive to intercede on their behalf. (Hebrews 7:25)

HOW is GOD reconciled with man? By the ministry and the merits of Jesus Christ who […] set aside all that could come between human beings and the love of God who forgives. The law which man had transgressed did not change to put himself at the level of the sinner in his fallen condition, but is manifested as the transcription of the character of the Lord, the expression of his holy will. She is exalted and magnified in the life and character of Jesus Christ. And yet, a means of salvation is given to us because the immaculate Lamb of God has revealed himself as the one who takes away the sin of the world. Jesus takes the place of the sinner and bears the guilt of the transgressor. Looking at the surrogate and guarantee of the sinner, the Lord Jesus, the Eternal God can be righteous while justifying anyone who believes in Jesus. Forgiveness is granted to one who accepts Christ as his righteousness, his only hope, for God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself. The righteousness, truth, and holiness of Christ, which are approved by the law of God, form a channel through which mercy can be communicated to the repentant and sinful sinner.

Those who do not believe in Christ are not reconciled to God. But those who have faith in him are hidden with Christ in God. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (40). “(1 John 1.19)

He therefore bore our sins and died on the cross to ensure the salvation of any repentant sinner who becomes loyal to God again. We only have access to the Father through Christ (41).

Jesus said, “He who comes to me I will not put out” (John 6:37). Christ takes upon himself the sins of the transgressor, imputes his righteousness to him and, by his transforming grace, enables him to be associated with the angels and to commune with God (42).

(40. The Youth’s Instructor, November 29, 1894.
    41. Letter 29, 1900.
    42. The Youth’s Instructor, January 19, 1893.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 21, 2021

THE CROSS AND THE LAW

Let him who is wise understand these things! May he who is intelligent understand them! For the ways of the Lord are straight; the righteous will walk there, but the criminals will stumble there. (Hosea 14.10)

THE CROSS PROCLAIMS to the host of heaven, and to the unfallen worlds as well as to the sinful earth, the value that God has placed on the human race, and the greatness of the love shown towards them. It bears witness to the world, to angels and to men of the immutability of the divine law (43).

The death of Christ was to be the eternal convincing argument that the law of God is as immutable as his throne. […] The fact that his own Son, the guarantee for man, was not spared, is the key argument which will have marked saints and sinners, the entire universe of God, and will remain for all eternity to testify that the Creator will not excuse the transgressor of his law. Every offense against the law of God, however minor, is added to the count, and when the sword of righteousness is raised, it will accomplish on unrepentant transgressors the work inflicted on the great divine Martyrdom (44).

Through the righteousness of Christ imputed to him, the sinner can feel forgiven and know that the law no longer condemns him because he is now in harmony with all of its precepts. He has the privilege of considering himself innocent when he reads and thinks of the retribution that will strike the unbeliever and the sinner. By faith he takes hold of the righteousness of Christ. […] Knowing himself a sinner and transgressor of the holy law of God, he looks at the perfect obedience of Christ, his death on Calvary for the sins of the world, and he has the assurance of being justified by faith in the merits and sacrifice of Christ. He realizes that for him the Son of God obeyed the law and that the punishment of transgression cannot strike the repentant sinner who believes. The active obedience of Christ clothes the believing sinner with the righteousness which satisfies the requirements of the law (45).

(43. The Review and Herald, May 23, 1899.
    44. The S.D.A. Bible Commentary, vol. 3, p. 1166.
    45. The Youth’s Instructor, November 29, 1894.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 22, 2021

THE CROSS HELPS US TO UNDERSTAND NATURE

You make me glad by what you do, O Lord! And I applaud the works of your hands. (Psalm 92.5)

LIKE TODAY it is not possible for man, by his own resources, to discover the lessons. If he is not guided by heavenly wisdom, he exalts nature and its laws above the God of nature. This is the reason why human ideas about science so often contradict the teachings of the Word of God. But for those who receive the light of the life of Christ, nature lights up again. It is in the light of the cross that we can interpret the teachings of nature with certainty (46).

In the plan of redemption, there are mysteries the comprehension of which escapes the mind of a human being, things which his wisdom cannot explain, but about which nature can greatly enlighten us, as regards the mystery of godliness. So let the minds of young people learn from the book of nature as much as possible. Every shrub, every fruit tree, all vegetation exists for our benefit. The mysteries of the kingdom of God are to be read in the growth of each seed. […] God intended that nature be for man a book of instructions, pulling him from the path of disobedience to bring him back to God. It is necessary to study nature closely, guided by the Holy Spirit. The Lord gives us object lessons there. Through the simplest things of nature he renders holy truths familiar to the human mind (47).

Every ray of sunshine, every piece of bread, every drop of water is a gift of redeeming love, pleading with the sinner, encouraging him to be reconciled with God (48).

It was he who created the sun and the moon. There is no star of which he is not the author. Every drop of rain, every ray of light bestowed on an ungrateful world is a testament to God’s love in Christ. We receive everything thanks to this ineffable gift from the only begotten Son of God. He was crucified in order to spread his benefits over the whole earth (49).

(46. The Ministry of Healing, “Primordial Knowledge,” p. 397.
    47. The Youth’s Instructor, May 6, 1897.
    48. Manuscript 44, unpublished.
    49. Letter 79, 1897.)

Berean
    Participant

Hé To all

Daily meditation

23 Aug 2021

FOR US, CHRIST HAS ENDURED THE CROSS

Having found himself in the position of a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient unto death, death on the cross. (Philippians 2.7-9)

FOR THE JOY that awaited him, he suffered the torment of the cross, despised ignominy and sat forever at the right hand of the throne of God. He died on the cross, a sacrifice for the world. Sacrifice by which we receive the greatest blessing that God has ever given: the gift of the Holy Spirit. This blessing is for all who will receive Christ.

The fallen world is the battleground of the greatest conflict that the celestial universe and the earthly powers have ever seen. This world is the scene of the greatest struggle between good and evil, between heaven and hell. Every human being is an actor in this conflict. No one can declare himself neutral. Everyone will either have to accept or reject the Redeemer of the world. Everyone is a witness either for or against Christ. Christ calls those who stand under his banner to engage in conflict at his side, as faithful soldiers, in order to inherit the crown of life. They were adopted as sons and daughters of God. Christ has given them the guarantee that they will receive in the kingdom of heaven the reward promised to all who share in his humiliation and sufferings in the name of truth.

The cross of Calvary challenges and ultimately will overcome all the powers of earth and hell. All the good influences are concentrated in the cross and will proceed from it to advance triumphantly. The cross is the great center of attraction because on it, Christ sacrificed his life for the human race. This sacrifice was offered for the purpose of restoring man to his original state of perfection, and more. A radical transformation of character, making him more than a conqueror, was offered to him. Those who, by the power of Christ, triumph over the great enemy of God and of humanity will occupy a higher position in the heavenly courts than that of the angels who have remained faithful (50).

(50. The General Conference Bulletin, April 1, 1899.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

Daily devotional

August 24, 2021

Behold, I am coming soon, and my retribution is with me, to render to each one according to what his work is.
    Revelation 22:12.

According to God’s plan, by a favor which we do not deserve at all, the Lord has ordained that our good works receive a reward. It is only by the merits of Christ that we are accepted before him, and our acts of kindness, our acts of charity are but the fruits of faith. However, since men are to be rewarded according to their works, we will receive blessings for such acts. … Our works in and of themselves have no merit; we are not entitled to any thanks from God. We only did what it was our duty to do and we could not have accomplished it by the forces of our sinful nature alone.
    We must trust in his Word and bring in everything we do the light and grace of Christ. Hold on to the Savior, hold on to Him until the transforming power of His grace manifests in us. Faith is necessary for us if we are to reflect the divine character. … Faith in this Word and in the regenerative power of Christ makes the believer fit to do his works and joyful in the Lord.
    Christ entrusts his goods to his servants, as something they are to use in his service. He gives “to each his task”. … Our field of activity here on earth is planned just as precisely as the place prepared for us in the heavenly courts. …
    In the form of his sufferings and the gift of his life, Christ has already paid the wages of our voluntary service. He came into the world to show us how and in what spirit to work. He wants us to apply ourselves to finding out how we can best contribute to the advancement of his reign and the glory of his name.
    The sanctification of the soul by the Holy Spirit is nothing other than the union of the nature of Christ with our humanity. The religion of the Gospel is the life of Christ in us, an active and effective principle; it is the Savior’s grace manifested in character and working by works.

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

Daily meditation

25 August 2021

THE CROSS UNMASKS THE GOVERNMENT OF SATAN

He stripped principalities and powers, and made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them with the cross. (Colossians 2:15)

THE CROSS OF CALVARY, love and selfishness stand face to face. There they both have their crowning glory. Christ lived only to relieve and bless: by putting him to death, Satan unmasks the malignity of his hatred towards God, and his real goal: to dethrone God and destroy him in whom divine love is manifested.

It is also through the life and death of Christ that the thoughts of men are brought to light. The life of Jesus, from the manger to the cross, invites us to surrender and participate in his sufferings. It is she who reveals the thoughts of men. Jesus brought the truth from heaven, and all who listened to the voice of the Holy Spirit were drawn to him. The self-worshipers belonged to the kingdom of Satan. By the attitude taken towards Christ each one fixes his position and thus pronounces his own sentence.

On the day of final judgment, any lost soul will understand why they have rejected the truth. Even the mind clouded by transgression will grasp the meaning of the cross. Sinners will be condemned by the sight of Calvary and its mysterious Victim. Any false pretext will be swept away. The odious character of human apostasy will show itself. Men will see what their choice has been. […] When the thoughts of all hearts are revealed, the faithful and the rebellious will unite to declare: “Your ways are just and true, King of the nations!” Who will not fear, Lord, and glorify your name? […] Because your decrees of justice were manifested (54)? “(Revelation 15.3,4)

Although the earth was expelled from the continent of heaven and separated from its fellowship, Jesus reconnected it to the sphere of glory (55).

(54. Jesus Christ, chap. 5, p. 41.
    55. The Signs of the Times, January 10, 1911.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 26, 2021

EVERY DAY WE MUST LOAD OUR CROSS

If anyone wants to come after me, let him renounce himself, take up his cross every day and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

ONLY THE POWER of the cross can snatch man from the league powers of sin. Christ gave himself to save the sinner. Those whose sins are forgiven and who love Jesus will be united with him. They will bear his yoke. This yoke will not hurt them and will not darken their religious life. On the contrary, the yoke of Christ brings joy to the life of the Christian. He happily thinks about what the Lord has done by delivering his only begotten Son to death on behalf of the world, “so that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

Those who campaign under the bloody banner of Prince Emmanuel should prove themselves to be faithful soldiers in the army of Christ. They should not allow themselves the slightest infidelity. Many young people are ready to volunteer in the service of Jesus, the prince of life. If they are to persevere, however, they must constantly look to Jesus, their captain, and await his orders. Soldiers of Christ, they are not permitted to enter Satan’s league and serve in his camp, for they would then become enemies of Christ. It would be a betrayal (56).

The cross must […] be lifted up and carried without any murmur or complaint. As you hold her up, you will find that she lifts you up. You will find her alive, full of mercy, mercy and compassionate love (57).

As you wear it, your experience may be such that you may even say, “I know my Redeemer is alive. And, since he lives, I will also live ”. What marvelous assurance (58)!

(56. The Youth Instructor, March 30, 1893.
    57. Letter 145, 1900.
    58. Manuscript 85, 1901.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 27, 2021

We take charge of the cross and renounce ourselves

I am crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live, it is Christ who lives in me; my life, present in the flesh, I live it in faith in the Son of God, who loved me and who gave himself up for me. (Galatians 2.20

CHRIST was crucified for fallen man. However, this event has no value in the eyes of many so-called Christians. In reality, they deny the cross of Christ. […] They admit that Christ died on the cross, but, since they too would have to experience a crucifixion, they refuse to receive the lessons leading to self-denial and renunciation. They are Christians in name only. The focal point of their faith is not a crucified and risen Savior, granting all who receive him the privilege of becoming sons and daughters of God (59).

Give up the pleasures of sin in exchange for heaven and eternal life. What are a few brief moments of selfish gratification, without even a single drop of genuine happiness, compared to an eternity of bliss that awaits the faithful soul? Do not deprive your soul of the love of Christ. If you want tangible proof of his love, consider the cross of Calvary. Heaven is watching you with intense interest to see what you are about to do. Angels are flabbergasted when you turn your back with indifference to the blessings offered to you. If you refuse to respond to the lure of Christ’s love, you will end up becoming more and more rebellious and arrogant (60).

Paul realized that his abilities did not come from himself, but from the Holy Spirit whose blessed influence filled his heart, submitting his every thought to Christ. […] In the apostle’s preaching, Christ was always the central figure. “If I live,” he declared, “it is no longer I who live, it is Christ who lives in me. Self was veiled, and Christ revealed and exalted (61).

Those who renounce themselves to do good for others, who devote themselves body and goods to the service of Christ, will experience the happiness which the selfish man seeks in vain (62).

(59. The Youth’s Instructor, July 7, 1898.
    60. Ibid., March 2, 1893.
    61. The Acts of Apostles [Peaceful Conquerors, in French], chap. 24, p. 251.
    62. Testimonies for the Church, chap. 73, p. 433.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

A FITTING MEMORIAL 

Daily Devotional

AN AMAZING FACT: If you have ever been to Arlington National Cemetery you have probably seen a sharp-looking sentinel guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Every detail performed by this honor guard is flawlessly executed and meaningful. During his march by the tomb, the guard takes 21 steps, turns 90 degrees to face the tomb, pauses 21 seconds, turns another 90 degrees to face back down the mat, and pauses 21 seconds. These pauses allude to the 21-gun salute, the highest military honor.

For a soldier to apply to guard the tomb, he must be in superb physical condition and between 5’10” and 6’4” tall. Less than 20 percent of the soldiers who try out for this duty are accepted for training, and only a fraction of them become guards. Off-duty time is spent training and memorizing the notable people resting in Arlington National Cemetery and where they are interred. Every guard spends up to five hours a day making sure his uniform is impeccable.

After serving for several months and passing a proficiency test and written test, the guard is given a Tomb Guard Badge that is worn on his uniform pocket. There have only been about 525 awarded, making it one of the least awarded Army badges, second only to the Astronaut Badge. Recipients are held to a high standard and must not do anything that brings dishonor upon the tomb. Only nine badges have been revoked.

The guards, which are changed every 30 minutes in summer and every hour in winter, have been patrolling the tomb 24 hours a day, 365 days a year continuously since April 6, 1948. They are so dedicated that their duty is performed in all types of weather. For them, guarding the tomb is not just an assignment—it is the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson. Every year on Memorial Day, thousands of visitors to Arlington National Cemetery behold the awesome loyalty of these silent sentinels guarding the tomb.

Did you know the Bible teaches that God has a memorial to be remembered? The fourth commandment explains: “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it” (Exodus 20:11). Each week we memorialize God’s creative power and honor Him as our Creator by keeping His Sabbath holy.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Exodus 20:8

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

Sunday 29, August 2021

A work of reform

Prepare the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley will be filled, every mountain and hill will be made low; that which is crooked will be made straight, and rough roads will be smoothed out.
    Luke 3: 4, 5.

The work of reform described here, a work of cleansing heart, soul, and spirit, would be necessary for many who say they have faith in Christ. Bad habits that have been retained for too long should be given up altogether, winding paths straightened, steep places smoothed out. The mountains and hills of self-sufficiency and pride must be brought down. We must bear “fruit worthy of repentance” Matthew 3: 8. When this work takes place in the hearts of believers, “all flesh shall see the salvation of God” Luke 3: 6.
    Listing your name on a church register does not give you your ticket to the kingdom of heaven. God asks: “Have you taken the opportunities to serve and develop your Christian character? Have you been a faithful steward of the goods the Lord has entrusted to you? When you knew the will of the Lord for you, did you obey? Did you try to come to the aid of those in need of support and encouragement? ”
    Every human being on earth bears fruit, either good or bad. Christ did everything to make it possible for every soul to bear the most precious fruits. Obedience to the commandments of God, submission to the will of Christ, will yield the peaceful fruits of righteousness. The people of this land are dear to the family of God. … God gave them the most excellent gift that heaven could give so that they would come back from their rebellion against his law and accept, in their hearts and their lives, the principles of heaven. If men wanted to recognize this gift, accept this sacrifice, their transgressions would be forgiven; the grace of God would be granted to them in order to help them to produce in their life the precious fruits of holiness.
    “Every good tree bears good fruit.” Let us have pure principles, holy ambitions, noble aspirations, and we will be, in the eyes of the world, a distinct nation, a people apart.

Sunday August 29, 2021,

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

Start your day with a Bible meditation.

The Son will testify for us
    Whoever confesses me before men, the Son of man will also confess before the angels of God.
    Luke 12: 8.

The thought that God could take a sinner, a poor human being and transform him, by his grace, to become an heir of God and a joint heir with Jesus, is beyond our comprehension. … Christ takes upon himself the sins of the transgressor and imputes his righteousness to him; by his almighty grace he enables him to associate with the angels and to commune with God.
    The purifying influence of divine grace transforms natural dispositions. Heaven cannot be desirable to carnal men; their soiled hearts would not feel drawn to this pure and holy place. And even if they had the opportunity to enter, they would not find anything pleasant. The inclinations which dominate the natural heart must be submitted to the grace of Christ, before sinful man can enter heaven and be able to enjoy the company of angels. When a man dies to sin, when he is quickened by new life in Christ, divine love fills his heart; his intelligence is sanctified; he drinks in long drafts of the inexhaustible source of joy and knowledge, and the light of eternal day shines on his path.
    God wants the divine plan to be fulfilled, for heavenly order and harmony to reign in all families, churches, and institutions. If these were like leaven of love, we would see the noble principles of Christian courtesy, delicacy, and charity applied to those who are redeemed by the blood of Christ. There would then be a spiritual transformation in all of our families, churches, institutions, which would serve as the intermediaries through which God would shed heavenly light on the world, discipline, and train men and women to be part of heavenly society.
    Jesus went to prepare a place for those who, in his love and by his grace, order their lives according to the blessed dwellings.

Monday August 30, 2021,

Berean
    Participant

Daily meditation

September 2, 2021

ALL TRUE MISSIONARY EFFORT BEGINS AT HOME

They were both righteous before God, and blamelessly followed all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord. (Luke 1.6)

IN ENTERING INTO RELATIONSHIP with the Savior, regenerated man only returns to the relationship with God prescribed to him. […] But his first duty concerns his children and his closest relatives. Nothing can excuse its neglect of the inner circle of the family for the benefit of a wider circle outside of it. On the day of judgment […] parents will be asked what they have done and said to ensure the salvation of the beings they have taken responsibility for bringing into the world. Have they left their lambs in the care of strangers? […] Much good done for others will not erase the debt you owe God for the care you owe your children. The spiritual well-being of your family is of paramount importance (5).

Mothers have been entrusted with the greatest mission ever given to mortals: that of forming and properly molding the minds of their children (6).

Whenever you take on the tasks that are closest to you, God will bless you and answer your prayers. Too many people do missionary work outside, while those in their own homes are neglected, unattended, ruined by neglect. […] The first missionary work is to make sure that love, light and joy are not lacking in the family circle. Let us not seek some great missionary work or temperance until we have first completed our homework duties. Every morning we should say to ourselves: What kind deed can I do today? What word of tenderness can I say? Kind words are a ray of sunshine in a home. The bridegroom needs it, so does the wife, as well as the children. […] Every heart should have the desire to maintain here below an atmosphere as celestial as possible (7).

A soul saved in your own family circle or in your neighborhood, thanks to your patient and persevering intervention, will do as much honor to the name of Christ and shine as much on your crown as a soul you would have won in China or India (8) .

(5. The General Conference Bulletin, April 1, 1899.
    6. Manuscript 29, 1886.
    7. The Review and Herald, December 23, 1884.
    8. The Signs of the Times, November 10, 1881.)

Berean
    Participant

WILL OUR PLANET BE THE “NEW EARTH” AFTER JESUS’ SECOND COMING?

Daily Devotional

God created Eden and the rest of our world with perfection and beauty, but then sin came and polluted the earth. The Lord’s plan was corrupted, perverted, and tainted by the devil. However, Satan will not ultimately confound God’s plan. The Lord is going to create a new heaven (a new atmosphere) and a new earth.

The Bible teaches that someday “the meek … shall inherit the earth” (Matthew 5:5). It’s pretty clear that, right now, proud and controlling people mostly rule the Earth. But someday, this will change. Daniel says, “The kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people, the saints of the Most High” (Daniel 7:27). The Earth will not be in the same condition that it is now, for the Lord will make “a new heaven and a new earth” (Revelation 21:1).

The apostle Peter encourages us, “We, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells” (2 Peter 3:13). When will this take place? First, the righteous will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air at the second coming of Christ (1 Thessalonians 4:17). Then they will spend a millennium in heaven, living and reigning with Jesus (Revelation 20:4).

At the end of the millennium in heaven, John writes, “I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven” (Revelation 21:2). The New Jerusalem is the city of God, and its new home will be this planet. There will be no pollution; it will be this Earth made new. In this new home, “They shall build houses and inhabit them, they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit” and “the wolf and the lamb shall feed together” (Isaiah 65:21, 25). Our new home will be a real place!

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. Revelation 21:1

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

WHO ARE THE 144,000 MENTIONED IN THE BOOK OF REVELATION? PART 1
    Daily Devotional

During the time of Jesus’ first coming, the 12 apostles were a type of “Special Forces.” After three and-a-half years of intensive personal training with Jesus, the disciples were used by God to achieve great victories. They penetrated Satan’s dominion to spearhead a great revival and expansion of the Christian faith.

But the book of Revelation tells us of another Special Forces unit, a vast “army” of 144,000. They have a special relationship with the Lamb, and they are sealed with a special name. They also sing a special song. Why are the 144,000 so important? Because they are commissioned with the greatest mission in the last days: to prepare the world for Jesus’ return. Yet many are bewildered by this group—and a lot of confusion in the church exists. So what exactly is this holy army and who will fill its ranks before the end?

We are told this distinctive group is comprised of 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes of Israel, which are Judah, Reuben, Gad, Asher, Naphtali, Manasseh, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, Zebulun, Joseph, and Benjamin. It should be noted that this listing of tribes is unique, as it’s the only time that the catalog of tribes appears in this particular order (more on that later).

There is so much to share on this topic that we’ll be covering it over the next few days. Though there are diverse ideas about this group, we see they play a crucial role in the last days.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea, Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel. Revelation 7:2-4

Berean
    Participant

WHO ARE THE 144,000 MENTIONED IN REVELATION? PART 2

Daily Devotional

People wonder if the 144,000 are literally 12,000 Israelites each from the 12 tribes. Even though this belief is common in some circles, after a close look, it becomes obvious that this is unlikely. A careful study in the Old Testament reveals an important clue. Because the 10 northern tribes gave themselves completely over to idolatry, God allowed the Assyrians to carry them away in 722 bc. “In the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria took Samaria and carried Israel away to Assyria” (2 Kings 17:6).

When the tribes of Judah and Benjamin were later carried off to Babylon, after spending 70 years in captivity, thousands returned. But with the 10 tribes, history never records any mass exodus from Assyria back to Israel. Instead, the king of Assyria transplanted an assortment of people from pagan nations in the land of Israel in the region of Samaria. “The king of Assyria brought men from Babylon, and from Cuthah, and from Ava, and from Hamath, and from Sepharvaim, and placed them in the cities of Samaria instead of the children of Israel: and they possessed Samaria, and dwelt in the cities thereof” (2 Kings 17:24).

The king did send one Hebrew priest back from Assyria to teach these transplanted pagans about the God of Israel, but not from the exiled 10 tribes (2 Kings 17:27). They eventually became known as the Samaritans. As is evident in the New Testament, the Jews detested this group. Why? They were no longer pure Israelites in blood or religion.

Long before the time of Jesus, the 10 exiled tribes intermarried with the Assyrians, losing their distinct identity. Today, a genealogist would be hard pressed to find even one vaguely pure descendant from these tribes—much less 12,000! These tribes were so thoroughly scattered, assimilated, and absorbed around the world by their host nations, it is entirely possible you have traces of Abraham in your bloodline!
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall scatter them among the nations, and disperse them in the countries. Ezekiel 12:15

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

WHO ARE THE 144,000? PART 3
    Daily Devotional

Again, at first glance, one might think that the 144,000 are literal Jews. But from the time of Jesus, most of the prophecies speaking of Israel are focused on the children of faith—or spiritual Israel— regardless of whether they were Jew or Gentile by blood.

Here is a small sample of the many texts that establish this truth. “If you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (Galatians 3:29). The Lord told the Israelites, “You shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:6); in the New Testament, the apostle Peter applies this title to the Christian church: “You are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9). Romans 2:28, 29, says, “He is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter.”

The apostle James gives one of the most convincing Scriptures showing that the apostles viewed these tribes in a spiritual sense. “James, a servant of God, … to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad” (James 1:1). James’ letter is addressed to Christians, yet he refers to them as spiritual Jews from twelve spiritual tribes.

So why did God name the twelve tribes when listing the 144,000? This is one of the most compelling clues that there must be a spiritual meaning to the tribes listed in Revelation 7. Let me introduce this point by explaining that this is the only time in the Bible that the tribes are arranged in this order. Also, Joseph and Levi are included while Ephraim and Dan are left out. Why? Tomorrow we’ll look more at an amazing message woven into the names of the sons of Jacob.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Romans 2:28-29

https://www.amazingfacts.org/bible-study/daily-devotional

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

WHO ARE THE 144,000?

PART 4

Daily Devotional

When Jews named their babies, the names nearly always had some meaning that depicted a characteristic of the child or an event connected with the birth. Notice how the wives of Jacob, Rachael and Leah, proclaimed the meaning of their sons’ names as they were born. As you continue reading the narrative in Genesis 29 of each of these births, Rachel and Leah also made prophetic statements for all 12 of their sons regarding the meanings of their names.

Here are the names of the tribes listed for the 144,000, in the order in which Revelation 7 lists them, and their corresponding Hebrew meanings as found in Scripture:

Judah means “I will praise the Lord”; Reuben means “He has looked on me”; Gad means “Given good fortune”; Asher means “Happy am I”; Naphtali means “My wrestling”; Manasseh means “Making me to forget”; Simeon means “God hears me”; Levi means “Joined to me”; Issachar means “Purchased me”; Zebulun means “Dwelling”; Joseph means “Will add to me”; and Benjamin means “Son of His right hand.”

Now here is the amazing part. Notice what happens when you line up these meanings according to the order in which they appear in Revelation. It forms a very remarkable statement declaring how God saves the church as His bride!

“I will praise the Lord for he has looked on me and granted good fortune. I am happy because of my wrestling, God is making me to forget. God hears me and is joined to me. He has purchased me a dwelling and will add to me, the Son of His right hand.” (The connecting words in italics are supplied for flow of thought.) These names in this order describe a brief story summarizing the church’s struggle, redemption, victory, and ultimate marriage to the Lamb. It seems evident that this is a special message of encouragement for those who are in the church, believers in Christ, and not just Jews.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me. Genesis 29:32

Berean
    Participant

WHO ARE THE 144,000?

PART 5

Daily Devotional

At Jesus’ first coming, He chose 12 men to reach Israel. “These twelve Jesus sent out and commanded them, saying: ‘Do not go into the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter a city of the Samaritans. But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel’ ” (Matthew 10:5, 6). Then with the outpouring of the former rain, the 12 apostles reached thousands during the Pentecost revival. At first, they were all Jews (see Acts 2:5).

At the time of Jesus’ second coming, from the outpouring of the latter rain (the Holy Spirit), 12 times 12,000 will reach a great multitude around the world. The great multitude is converted under the influence and preaching of the 144,000!

Keep in mind that the 144,000 are not the only ones who Jesus is using to preach in the last days— just as the 12 apostles were only part of the 120 in the upper room who led out in the Pentecost revival (Acts 1:15). Not only did Jesus send out the 12 to preach in Israel, but another time He sent out a team of 70 (Luke 10:1). The 144,000 are the spiritual leaders in this revival, not the only ones preaching.

Just before the Lord pours out the Holy Spirit in Acts 2, something interesting happens in Acts 1. After Jesus ascended to heaven, the disciples pray and put aside their differences in the upper room (verse 13). One of the 12 apostles, Judas, was dead and needed to be replaced to restore the number to 12 (v. 26). As soon as the number was complete, the Holy Spirit was poured out.

Jesus blessed, trained, and filled with the Spirit 12 people to lead His followers in reaching the house of Israel for His first coming. He will next choose 12 times 12,000 to lead His church in reaching the world for His second coming. There will be a great multitude converted as a result of their ministry!
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit. Joel 2:28-29

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 1,123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account