Daily Devotions

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

ONCE YOU ARE SAVED, CAN YOU EVER LOSE YOUR SALVATION?

There are many examples in the Bible of people who had a saving relationship with God and were filled with the Spirit, but then they turned away … such as King Saul and Judas. Jesus will never let go of us, but we can let go of Him. We always have that freedom.

The concept that once you are saved you can never be lost is unbiblical. People sometimes turn from God after following Him for a time. Peter puts it like this: “But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: ‘A dog returns to his own vomit,’ and, ‘a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire’ ” (2 Peter 2:22).

On the other extreme, some people believe that you need to walk every day in doubt of your relationship with the Lord. Yet the Bible is clear that we can walk in assurance. Paul writes, “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6). Another verse says, “Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith” (Hebrews 12:2).

According to the Bible, the notion that once a person is saved he cannot be lost is just not true. One of the clearest verses in Scripture states:

“When a righteous man turns away from his righteousness and commits iniquity, and does according to all the abominations that the wicked man does, shall he live? All the righteousness which he has done shall not be remembered; because of the unfaithfulness of which he is guilty and the sin which he has committed, because of them he shall die” (Ezekiel 18:24).

In other words, a person who was righteous can turn away from God and be lost. If a person is saved and cannot lose his salvation, why would he need to “hold fast” and not waver according to Hebrews 10:23? Because God has given people the freedom of choice.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) Hebrews 10:23

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

ONCE YOU ARE SAVED, CAN YOU EVER LOSE YOUR SALVATION?

Daily Devotional

As we continue looking at the topic of salvation, I want to highlight that God does not want us to live in fear. John writes, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear” (1 John 4:18). As long as we abide in Christ, we have nothing to fear. But when we take our hand out of His hand and we choose to turn from His will and go our own way, then we lose this assurance. But as long as we are placing our lives in the hands of the Almighty, we don’t have to live in fear and doubt. God doesn’t want us to have that kind of experience.

I believe that it’s important for us to daily rededicate our lives to the Lord. That doesn’t mean that we’re lost every day. Paul said, “I die daily” (1 Corinthians 15:31). What he means by that is, “I choose every day to die to self and be born again unto God.” On a daily basis we rededicate ourselves to God. That doesn’t mean you’re lost and saved and lost and saved … as if you’re on a spiritual roller coaster. Jesus taught us to pray, “Give us this day our daily bread” (Matthew 6:11). We live on the basis of daily trusting in the Lord.

Some Christians do advocate the doctrine of eternal security. The Bible teaches that God leaves the door open for us to change our minds at any time. Salvation is not based upon only one irrevocable act or choice of the past, but upon a continuous, personal relationship of the believer with Christ. When the decision to break the love relationship is made by willful disobedience, the believer ceases to be a true believer and forfeits any assurance of salvation.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. 1 John 5:13

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily Devotional

AN AMAZING FACT: One Sunday in 1799, Conrad Reed, the 12-year-old son of a German immigrant, was playing hooky from church. While fishing with his siblings in a creek on his father’s farm, he spotted an interesting object in the creek—“a yellow substance shining in the water”—and decided to lug it home. The 17-pound rock, about the shape and size of an iron, was actually a gold nugget. Because of its unusual weight, the family used the huge nugget as a doorstop for three years.

Then in 1802, Conrad’s father, John Reed, took the nugget to a jeweler in Fayetteville, North Carolina. The jeweler told Reed that they had been tripping over a hunk of gold for the last three years and offered to refine it for him. When Reed returned, the jeweler had turned the 17-pound nugget into a gold bar six or eight inches long. The jeweler offered to buy it, allowing Reed to name the price. Still not realizing the value of the gold, Reed sold it to the jeweler for a mere $3.50. Of course, the gold was actually worth a thousand times that modest sum.

The Bible teaches that millions of others have tripped over a priceless gem as well, unaware of the riches within their reach. For example, Jewish tradition says that when Solomon’s temple was built, the cornerstone, or capstone, was pushed aside unrecognized. When it was finally needed, the builders sent word to the masons asking for it, only to find it had already been delivered. When the chief priests and Jewish elders challenged Jesus’ authority, He reminded them of this story: “The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone” (Psalm 118:22). Though rejected by the Jewish leaders, Jesus is the cornerstone on which the Christian church was built—He is the only way to obtain salvation!

Thankfully, John Reed’s story still has a happy ending—he eventually mined the rest of the creek bed on his farm and became a very wealthy man. When we recognize the riches of salvation that are available to us in Christ Jesus, our story can have a happy ending as well!
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord’s doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? Matthew 21:42

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

CAN A PERSON FIND FAVOR WITH GOD BY LIVING BIBLICALLY BUT NOT GOING TO CHURCH?

Daily Devotional

First, it’s important to note that there will be many people in heaven who were not affiliated with a church, either because they did not have that opportunity or another reason that prevents them from the privilege. But one of the most important principles of Christianity is that we are saved into the body of Christ, which is another name for the church. When you are baptized, you become part of Christ’s body.

So I would ask in return: Why would a person say he loves God and His truth, but does not wish to fellowship with His people? That’s one reason God wants us in church—because it has people with similar beliefs. It helps bolster our faith and makes us accountable. It is also an excellent environment in which to increase our capacity to love one another. People learn their most important lessons of love in the context of their biological families. Church families follow the same dynamic—especially with new believers.

If a person says, “I believe in God and want to be saved and baptized, but I don’t want to go to church,” it sounds to me like a man saying to his bride, “I love you, I want to marry you—but I don’t want to live with you.” It’s saying you want the benefits of marriage but not the relationship that goes with it. Part of the Christian experience is having a relationship within the fellowship of believers.

I lived as a hermit once—up in a cave and away from society. In that kind of solitude, you have a tendency to become eccentric. Isolating oneself from society begins to affect your mind; your brain sort of atrophies. You become socially inept. In the same way, it’s important for Christians to be social with fellow believers in corporate worship to avoid becoming spiritually inept. It’s God’s gift—so I encourage each Christian to find a biblical church in which they can grow into mature members of God’s family.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:47

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Bible Study /
    Daily Devotional
    Daily Devotions
    Average reading time is about 6 minutes
    AN AMAZING FACT: There are no creatures on Earth quite like cats. Today there are about 100 distinct breeds of the domestic cat. Cats can hear ultrasound and are able to produce over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs can only produce about ten. In spite of their keen vision, cats cannot see directly under their noses. This is why they cannot seem to find the tidbits on the floor after they eat. And just like fingerprints, every cat’s nose pad has a unique pattern.

Cats are one of the sleepiest of all mammals. They spend between 14 to 16 hours each day sleeping. That means a seven-year-old cat has only been awake for two years of its life! And 30 percent of their waking hours are spent grooming themselves. A cat in South Wales named Lucy has become the oldest ever, living to 39 years old. That’s the equivalent to 172 human years, more than double the average life expectancy. Neutering a cat extends its life span by two or three years.

Like birds, cats have an incredible homing ability that uses their biological clock, the angle of the sun, and the earth’s magnetic field. A cat taken far from its home can somehow find its way back. Sixteen-year-old Shaun Philips and his father, Ken, lost their cat Silky about 200 miles north of Brisbane, Australia. That was in the summer of 1977. On March 28, 1978, Silky turned up at Mr. Philips’ house in a suburb of Melbourne. According to his owner, “He was as thin as a wisp and stank to high heaven.” Silky had traveled 1,472 miles to get home.

Have you ever felt like you’ve wandered too far from God to find your way back? Jacob felt that way one lonely night while running away from home to escape his brother’s rage. He had deceived his father to get the birthright and was plagued with guilt. Did God still love him?

As he lay on the ground sleeping, God revealed Himself in a dream. Jacob saw a ladder stretching between heaven and Earth with angels going up and down. Notice these comforting words from God to Jacob: “Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you” (Genesis 28:15).

God had not forgotten Jacob. No matter how far away you wander from the Lord, He can bring you back home.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry. Luke 15:24

Berean
    Participant

Daily meditation

July 30, 2021

GOD IS WITH HIS CHILDREN

Have no fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east and gather you from the west. I will say to the north: Give! And to the south: Don’t hold back! Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth. (Isaiah 43.5,6)

WE MUST DO OUR WORK with joy and hope. We should not be discouraged in any way. Let us look away from the unpleasant aspects of our experience and let our words be filled with good humor. We can surround ourselves with a sunny atmosphere, or an atmosphere laden with sadness. Let’s get into the habit of expressing feelings of courage. Let us learn from the example of Christ. Not even his terrible humiliation at the hands of the Jews and the Roman soldiers, his sham trial and the cruel treatment he received did not cause him to be discouraged (71).

Let us hold fast to the end of the assurance that we had at the beginning. The light of divine truth must not be diminished. It must shine in the darkness of error which envelops our world. The Word of God must be presented to all: to the one with the highest status on earth as well as to the most humble. The Church of Christ is the means chosen by God for the proclamation of the truth. He has empowered her to do this particular work, and if she is loyal to God, obedient to all of his commandments, the excellence of divine power will dwell in her. If she honors the Lord God of Israel, no power can rise up against her. If she stays true to her oath, the enemy’s forces can no more dominate her than straw can withstand the storm.

The dawn of a bright and glorious day is coming for the Church if she puts on the robe of Christ’s righteousness, refusing to make any covenant with the world. […] The living source of salvation springs from Christ. […] When we take hold of his strength by faith, he will marvelously change the most desperate and disheartening outlook. He will do this for the glory of his name (72).

(71. Letter 115, 1904.
    72. Testimonies for the Church, vol. 8, chap. 1, p. 11.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO “PUT ON” THE ARMOR OF GOD? PT. 1

Daily Devotional

The primary focus of Scripture is the ongoing conflict between Christ and Satan. Revelation tells us that what began as a cosmic war in heaven will soon end in Armageddon. In this showdown between the forces of good and the powers of evil, truth and light are under constant attack from deception and darkness. And like it or not, every single one of us is involved.

The battleground for this intense spiritual struggle is the human heart. Both Jesus and the devil are supremely interested in winning possession of our minds and hearts. The Bible says, “We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). For this reason, Christians are called to be more than peaceful spectators in this conflict. We must be committed front-line commandos.

When we talk about putting on the armor of God—the helmet of salvation, the belt of truth, the sword of the Word of God, etc.—we’re obviously not speaking literally. These are symbols. We don’t walk around with a sword or a war helmet. Although our armor and weapons are spiritual, this does not mean they are unreal or ineffective. “Though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds” (2 Corinthians 10:3, 4).

We must put on the unfailing armor of God—all of it! This is where many Christians fall short. They take some of the armor but forget one or two parts of the suit; sometimes, they might pay an eternal price for their neglect. Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, the apostle Paul attaches a spiritual association to seven implements of earthly armor. Let’s next consider each of these articles of defense one by one to see what we can learn.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO “PUT ON” THE ARMOR OF GOD? PT. 2

The first item of spiritual armor mentioned in Ephesians 6 is the belt of truth. The spiritual significance is that God does not want us to simply point at the truth; He wants us to wear it and have it wrapped about us. Wearing the belt of truth also means wearing Christ, for He is “the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6).

Wearing the breastplate of righteousness is always in partnership with the robe of Jesus’ righteousness. The only way we can experience victory in battle against the devil is through confidence that the righteousness of Jesus covers our hearts and that we are forgiven.

When the devil sends his flaming arrows of temptation, we are to hold up the shield of faith, the shield bearing the name of our King of kings, Jesus. Through faith in His name, we can resist any enticement. “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it” (1 Corinthians 10:13).

In the Bible, the foot is a symbol for the direction or “the walk” of a person’s life. Are you walking with the Lord? Are you going in the right direction? The Scriptures explain how to have a sacred walk. But it’s hard to walk when you’re sliding. Having our feet “shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace” (Ephesians 6:15 KJV) gives us good footing—and prevents backsliding.

The Bible says, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who proclaims peace, who brings glad tidings of good things, who proclaims salvation” (Isaiah 52:7). As we become involved in spreading the good news, it will strengthen us against the enemy’s attacks.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Ephesians 6:13

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 3, 2021

COUGH THOSE WHO LOOK AT THE CROSS WILL LIVE

Moses made a serpent of bronze, and put it on the pole; and if anyone had been bitten by a serpent and looked at the bronze serpent, he retained life. (Numbers 21.9)

THE LORD JESUS ​​had protected the children of Israel from poisonous snakes in the wilderness, but they ignored this part of their history. Angels from heaven had accompanied them and, in the pillar of fire at night, Christ had been their protection during their crossing. But, they had become selfish and dissatisfied, and so that they would not forget the jealous care they had received, the Lord gave them a bitter lesson. He allowed fierce snakes to bite them, although in his great mercy he did not let them perish. Moses was asked to set up a brass serpent on a pole and to proclaim that whoever looked at this serpent would live. Indeed, all who looked at him lived. They healed instantly. […] What a strange symbol of Christ is this image of the snakes which stung them! This symbol was high on a pole, and they had to look at it to be healed. Thus, Jesus was made like sinful flesh: he became the bearer of sin. […]

The same healing, the message of life resonates today. He directs our gaze to the Savior raised on the infamous wood. Those who have been bitten by this ancient serpent, the devil, are encouraged to look and be saved. […] Look only to Jesus as your righteousness and your sacrifice. By being justified by faith, the deadly snake bite will be healed (6).

Without the cross there would be no possibility of being united with the Father. It is from her that all our hopes come. Through it shines the love of the Savior. And when, before the cross, the sinner contemplates the one who died to save him, he can give himself fully to the joy, because he knows that his sins are forgiven. He who kneels in faith at the foot of the cross has reached the highest peak that man can reach (7).

(6. Letter 55, 1895.
    7. Peaceful Conquerors, chap. 20, p. 186.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

WHAT IS BIBLICALLY PERMISSIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO ENTERTAINMENT?

With the onset of the Internet, smartphones, and HDTVs, the average person swims through a constant waterfall of entertainment advertisements every day. There has never been a time in history when one’s senses have been so assaulted by worldly media.

We need to be aware, then, that the Bible standard is very high. In Philippians 4:8, we read, “Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just … meditate on these things.” If you apply these criteria to what you’re watching, reading, and hearing, you will be following the very best counsel available.

King David writes, “I will set nothing wicked before my eyes” (Psalm 101:3). When we follow this as a guideline, we’re more likely to choose activities that nurture the fruits of the Spirit in our lives. No one can escape the truth that we are changed by what we behold (see 2 Corinthians 3:18). As we worship and look to Jesus, we become more like Him. As we worship and look to the world, we will become more like the world.

Ultimately, this is the bottom line: “What would Jesus do?” What would He watch, what would He read, and what would He listen to? If He suddenly walked into your room, would you quickly change the channel, slip that novel under your pillow, or delete your browser history? Actually, He and His angels are there now, so these are very good questions to ask yourself in every situation.

A Christian is a follower of Christ, so Jesus’ example should be foremost in our minds and hearts. The only way to really find that out is to study to know Him better through your Bible. “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5).
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Philippians 4:8

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 5, 2021

WE ARE REDEEMED BY THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST

You know indeed that it was not by perishable things, silver or gold, that you were redeemed […] but by the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot. (1 Peter 1.18,19)

EVERY SOUL IS PRECIOUS, because redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus Christ (9).

Satan can whisper in our ears, “You are too great a sinner for Christ to save you. While acknowledging your sinful state and unworthiness, confidently respond to the tempter, “By virtue of the atonement I claim Christ as my Savior.” I trust, not my merits, but the precious blood of Jesus which purifies me. (10) ”

You cannot escape the power of the tempter on your own, but the tempter trembles and flees when confronted with the merits of the precious blood of Jesus (11).

The Lord loves you and deserves your whole affection more than anything and everyone. Consider how much it is possible for you to stay treasured close to Him who is the source of your strength and possibilities. Do not live in the shadow of the cross, but on its shining side, where the Sun of righteousness can shine in your heart (12).

We are to have free access to the atoning blood of Christ, which we are to regard as the most precious of privileges, the greatest of blessings ever bestowed upon sinful man. O how so little is this ineffable gift considered! How deep, wide and inexhaustible is this immense river of love. For every thirsty soul that thirsts for holiness, there is an oasis, a place of rest, the life-giving influence of the Holy Spirit. Then comes the pious, joyful and peaceful walk in precious communion with Christ. Then, oh then, we can reasonably say with John: “Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29). Talk about it, pray about it. Let this be the theme of sacred hymns! Washed and purified, confident souls claim that love through which they stand before the throne of God, forgiven, justified, sanctified. […] Its purifying virtue strengthens and strengthens faith, gives power to prayer, and makes voluntary obedience pleasant (13).

(9. Testimonies for the Church, vol. 5, chap. 76, p. 623, 624.
    10. Messages to youth, chap. 30, p. 110.
    11. Testimonies for the Church, vol. 2, chap. 17, p. 127.
    12. Letter 10, 1894.
    13. Letter 87, 1894.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 6, 2021

WE ARE WASHED IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST

The blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. (1 John l.7)

SOME SPEAK OF Jewish times as a time without Christ, without mercy and without grace. To these, we can apply the words of Jesus to the Sadducees: “You do not understand the Scriptures nor the power of God. One of the most wonderful manifestations of divine power has been the period of the Jewish economy. The revelation of his presence was so glorious that it could not be endured by mortal man. Moses, so highly appreciated by God, exclaimed: “I am terrified and all trembling. But God strengthened him to endure this excellent glory, and even to take with him a reflection of it on his face, so much so that the people could not look him in the face. […]

The sacrificial system was established by Christ, and given to Adam to typify a future Savior, who would bear the sins of the world, and die for His redemption. Through Moses, Christ gave the children of Israel specific instructions regarding the sacrificial offerings. […] Only pure and intact animals, which would better symbolize Christ, were accepted as offerings to God. […]

It was forbidden for the Israelites to consume the flesh with its fat or blood. […] This law applied not only to animals intended for sacrifices, but also to livestock consumed as food. This law was to make them understand that without sin there would be no blood shed. […]

The blood of the Son of God was symbolized by the blood of the sacrificed victim, and God thus established his clear and definite distinction between the sacred and the profane. The blood was sacred, since it was only through the shedding of the blood of the Son of God that atonement for sins could be made. The blood was also used to cleanse the sanctuary from the sins of the people, thus typifying the blood of Christ alone capable of cleansing from sin (14).

(14. The Signs of the Times, July 15, 1880.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

HOW DOES ONE WALK AFTER THE SPIRIT AND NOT THE FLESH? Part 1

Daily Devotional

As Christians, we have two natures at war within us—the spirit and the flesh. “The flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish” (Galatians 5:17). The carnal, or physical, desires of the flesh want to be satisfied selfishly. However, the spirit strives to be pure, do God’s will, and obey His commandments. The latter is the higher nature we should aim to please. Peter and other New Testament writers speak about this war between the spirit and the flesh.

In Romans 8, Paul is encouraging Christians to walk after our spiritual natures and not our fleshly desires. He describes this difficult battle in Romans 7: “I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do” (vv. 14, 15). There is a simple, but not always easy, solution to this dilemma.

Here is a crude but effective illustration. Imagine you have two dogs of the same breed. You feed one of your dogs the very best dog food, and you pet and groom him for attention, take him out for walks, and provide plenty of fresh water and rest. But the other dog you chain to a post, don’t provide food, water, exercise, or attention at any time. Now imagine releasing the two dogs in the same area. Eventually, they’ll do battle for the territory. Who will win? It’s easy to guess that the dog that is well nourished and exercised will conquer the starved animal.

It’s the same with the battle between our two natures. The way you win the battle is decided by which nature you feed. If you feed the spirit by reading God’s Word, praying, fellowshipping, and sharing your faith, you will strengthen your spiritual nature and make more room for the Holy Spirit.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

HOW DOES ONE WALK AFTER THE SPIRIT AND NOT THE FLESH? PT. 2
    Daily Devotional

As we work toward strengthening our spiritual nature, we need to keep our focus on the things of God. “Those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit” (Romans 8:5). Furthermore, there are certain pitfalls to avoid. Whenever we choose to feed our fleshly nature with worldly amusements and sensual gratification, for instance, our carnal nature will be on the throne and our spirit will lose the battle.

The devil uses worldly reading materials, music, television, and movies, often disguising them as “family entertainment,” to tempt us and numb our spiritual sensors. But these instant satisfactions have potentially terrible eternal consequences. They will make your spiritual muscles limp and weak. Remember, when temptation comes, whatever side we have strengthened will win the battle. This is literally a life-and-death struggle, “for to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace” (Romans 8:6).

The good news is that if we put our trust in Him, the Lord will make sure we succeed in this effort. He promises to strengthen us. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13). He reminds us that He is “able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” (Ephesians 3:20). And He assures us that we can triumph through His power. “Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:57).

Every day, we’re making a series of little decisions to walk after the flesh or after the spirit. Pray daily, even hourly, for God’s protection and always be mindful when investing time and resources in worldly amusements. Real satisfaction is found in the Prince of Peace, not in empty worldly pleasures.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 9, 2021

CHILDREN OF GOD THROUGH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST

So, brothers, we have the assurance of free access to the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus, access that Jesus inaugurated for us as a new and living path through the veil, that is to say of his flesh. (Hebrews 10:19,20)

CHRIST WAS NAILED to the cross between the third and the sixth hour, that is to say between nine in the morning and noon. He expired in the afternoon. It was at the hour of the evening sacrifice. Then the veil of the temple, which hid the glory of God from the sight of the congregation of Israel, was rent in two from top to bottom.

It was through Christ that the veiled glory of the Holy of Holies was to be revealed. He had suffered death for all humans, and through this offering the children of men were to become children of God. With their faces uncovered, seeing the glory of the Lord as in a mirror, all who believe in Christ were to be changed into the same image from glory to glory (see 2 Corinthians 3:18). The mercy seat, above which rested the glory of God in the most holy place, is open to all who accept Christ as the propitiation for sin. Through him they are introduced into a spiritual relationship with God. The veil is torn, the dividing walls are demolished, and the law of ordinances lapses. By virtue of his blood, enmity is abolished (19).

The simple story of the cross of Christ, his suffering and death to the world, his resurrection and ascension, his mediation before the Father on behalf of the sinner subdues and breaks the hardened heart of the sinner, and leads him to repentance. The Holy Spirit presents the situation to him in a new light, and the sinner realizes that sin must be truly evil for his atonement to cost such a sacrifice. […] How serious is the sin so that nothing less than the death of the Son of God could save the sinner from the terrible consequences of his guilt. Why then such a sacrifice on behalf of fallen man? Simply because God loved him so much that he did not want him to perish, but to come to repentance, to believe in Jesus as his personal Savior and to have eternal life (20).

(19. Letter 230, 1907.
    20. The Youth Instructor, January 19, 1893.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 10, 2021

WE ARE RECONCILED WITH GOD THROUGH THE DEATH OF CHRIST

For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. (Romans 5.10)

THE CROSS is invested with a power that words cannot express. Christ’s sacrifice for the human race makes appear the insignificance of our feeble efforts and methods to reach and uplift mankind, and to help sinful men and women meet Jesus.

The character of the work of the sons and daughters of God must be different from what has hitherto been manifested by many. If they love Jesus, they will have a broader idea of ​​the love shown for fallen man, and which demanded the price of such a high offering to save the human race. Our Savior requires the cooperation of each of Adam’s sons and daughters who became sons and daughters of God. […] He declares to have brought from heaven the gift of eternal life. He had to be lifted up on the cross of Calvary to draw all human beings to him. How then are we to deal with the inheritance which Christ has acquired? We should show them tenderness, appreciation, courtesy, sympathy and love. So we can help and bless each other. In this work, we have as companions more than human agents: we also have the glorious company of the angels of heaven. They collaborate with us in the work of enlightenment both young and old.

In engaging in this ministry, the admirable work of our redemption, Christ, in consultation with his Father, decided not to spare anything and not to withhold anything that could help the poor sinner, whatever the cost, however high the cost. be it. He would give all heaven to accomplish the work of salvation and the restoration of the moral image of God in man. […] To be a child of God means to be one with Christ in God, and to be resolutely committed to practicing sacrificial love to strengthen and bless souls who perish in their sins (21).

(21. Letter 10, 1897.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

MIGRATING STONES

Daily Devotional

AN AMAZING FACT: First recorded about 100 years ago, the mysterious Sailing Stones of Death Valley have been a documented fact for decades. Within the famous California desert is a dry lakebed called the Racetrack Playa that measures about 2.5 miles long and one mile wide. Scattered across the mosaic of cracked clay on the flat lakebed are hundred of stones in varying sizes. No big deal, right? The amazing thing is that many of these stones have long tracks behind them where they have obviously moved.

Now you need to picture that some of the sliding stones weigh hundreds of pounds. Additionally, some of these trails left by the roaming rocks are hundreds of yards long. Some stones make straight tracks, others make oval or 90 degree turns, while still others create wavy-shaped trails. How can a stone that weighs more than 500 pounds drag itself across flat ground? For nearly a century many geologists have studied and mapped the drifting stones in Death Valley, and it has become quite a puzzle. As the years proceed, each stone takes its own different path. Some of the mysterious migrating stones even slide uphill.

It seems now there is a plausible theory that has solved the amazing mystery. Occasionally, winter rains will fill the lake with a foot or so of water that freezes. As the edges of the shallow lake thaw, the giant floating ice pancake in the middle can get pushed around by the hurricane-force winds that are common in this valley. Rocks captured in this layer of ice are pushed along with the frozen mass, gouging trails in the slick clay below. Of course when the ice melts all you see are the rocks and the trails. Still, no one has ever seen the rocks move, nor does anyone know how fast they go.

Jesus said He was going to build His church on an immovable rock. Matthew provides a play on the Greek words in this crucial quotation from Jesus: “You are petros [a small throwable stone], and on this petra [the feminine form of petros, which indicates an immovable ledge of rock] I will build My church.” Peter is addressed and told that his confession is the petra upon which Jesus will build His church. With that rock as our foundation, we cannot be moved.
    KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily meditation

August 12, 2021

WE ONLY GLORIFY IN THE CROSS

As for me, of course not! I will not boast of anything other than the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified for me, as I am for the world! (Galatians 6:14)

HOW MANY REALLY knows and believes in the cross of Christ? How many have been the subject of their studies and know its true meaning? There would not be a single Christian in the world without the cross of Christ. […] Turn your attention away from the examples of this world and stop glorifying so-called great men. Do not derive any glory from anything except the cross of Christ. Paul said: “As for me, of course not! I will not boast of anything other than the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ ”. May everyone, from the richest to the most modest, understand what it means to boast of the cross of Christ. This cross must be carried with bravery and valor. Christ declares: “If anyone wants to come after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross, follow me” (Matthew 16:24). And for all those who lift it up and carry it after Christ, the cross is a pledge of the crown of glory which will never perish. […]

It is the highest level of science that one can learn. Well regarded, the cross of Calvary is true philosophy, pure and unblemished religion. It is eternal life for all who believe. By diligent effort, line after line, precept upon precept, a little here, a little there, we should be persuaded … that the cross of Christ is as effective today as it was in the days of Paul. It should also be fully understood by all, as it was by the great apostle. […]

Know that the only thing that we can safely boast of is this element that could open for us the doors of the city of God. From the Word of God, let us learn to form characters specific to the country we are looking for. Let us know that Christ must occupy the first place among us and that all that was lost with Adam is fully restored for every believing soul, through the cross of Christ (25).

(25. The Youth’s Instructor, July 7, 1898.)

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Daily devotional

Friday August 13, 2021

Transformed by contemplation

All of us who, with our faces uncovered, contemplate the glory of the Lord as in a mirror, we are transformed into the same image, from glory to glory, as by the Lord, the Spirit.
    2 Corinthians 3:18.

The work of transformation that is done in the sinner in search of holiness is permanent. Day after day, the Lord works for the sanctification of the Christian; but he must collaborate with him, strive to cultivate with perseverance good habits, and strive to add grace upon grace. While he is thus working on the plane of addition, God himself is engaged in the work of multiplication. Our Savior is always ready to hear and answer prayers, if they are spoken with a contrite heart. He makes his grace and peace abound among his faithful. He joyfully bestows upon them the blessings they need to fight against the evil that beset them.
    John and Judas represent all those who claim to be servants of Christ. These two disciples had the same opportunities to study and imitate the divine Pattern. Both had a close relationship with Jesus, and they had the privilege of hearing his teachings. Each of them had serious flaws, and each of them had access to divine grace that transforms life; but while one humbly received Master’s instructions, the other showed that he was not putting the Word into practice, and was only a mere listener of it. One died daily to himself and, dominating his sin, sanctified himself in the truth; the other resisted the regenerative power of grace and, satisfying his selfish desires, was enslaved by Satan. A transformation similar to that which can be seen in the life of John always results from close fellowship with Christ. There may be marked flaws in character, but when one becomes a true disciple of the Savior, divine grace regenerates and sanctifies the individual. … God can only be honored by those who profess to believe in him to the extent that they reflect his image and allow themselves to be led by his Spirit. Then, as witnesses of their Savior, they will make known what grace has done for them.

Berean
    Participant

Hi To all

Sunday August 15, 2021,

D’ail devotional

Get away from corruption

“which assure us from him the greatest and most precious promises, so that through them you may become participants of the divine nature, fleeing the corruption that exists in the world by covetousness”.
    2 Peter 1: 4.

What beauty of character shines in the daily life of Christ! He must be our model. A great work remains for us to accomplish if we are to mold our character into divine likeness. The grace of Christ must act on our whole being, and its triumph will not be complete until the celestial universe can find in the children of God the tender feelings and holy actions which characterize Christ.
    Everyone has to have their own experience. No one can make his or her salvation depend on the experience or the life of another. Everyone must get to know Christ in order to represent him worthily before the world. “How his divine power has given us all that contributes to life and godliness, by means of the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and by his virtue.” 2 Peter 1: 3. None of us can find excuses for a jealous or selfish, hot-tempered or bad character, or for some impurity of body, soul or spirit. … If we participate in the divine nature, our inherited or acquired bad inclinations are eliminated from our character and we are given the strength to do good. As we listen to our divine Master and participate in his nature every day, we cooperate with God in the victorious struggle over Satan’s temptations. God works with man so that he can be one with Christ as Christ is one with God. We are then seated together with Christ in heavenly places. Our spirit of peace and self-assurance rests in Jesus. … In him is inexhaustible fullness. … God has given us all the possibilities, all the graces. He opens before us the riches of his heavenly treasure in which we have the privilege of being able to draw unceasingly.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 1,123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account