Daily Devotions

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,123 total)
  • Author
    Berean
    Participant

Hi all

Here is the Daily Devotional

FORGET WHAT’S BEHIND

There are many types of amnesia. One of the more unusual types is prosopamnesia, which causes an inability to remember faces. Lacunar amnesia involves loss of memory about a specific event. Dissociative amnesia can be caused by repressed memories following psychological trauma.

The most popular type portrayed in Hollywood is retrograde amnesia, in which a person loses past memories due to a traumatic injury. In his letter to the Philippians, Paul advised “forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead” (Philippians 3:13). What did he mean by forgetting those things that are behind?

Paul obviously didn’t mean that we should forget everything in our past history. After all, remembering the way God has led us helps us spiritually. But there are things in our pasts that could hinder us spiritually. Dwelling on our past sins, endlessly mulling over our mistakes, and contemplating our failures can be self-destructive.

After we have confessed our sins to God and accept His forgiveness, it should be a closed subject. Sometimes, though, we reprocess those sins; sometimes the enemy throws them in our faces. Either way, it can be very discouraging.
    Leave them in the past,” is Paul’s wise advice. Instead of rehashing our failures, we should reach forward to the things that are ahead, pressing toward the spiritual victory that God will give us.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:12-14 

God bless

https://www.amazingfacts.org/bible-study/daily-devotional

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

THE SOLID ROCK 

The world’s largest freestanding rock is Mt. Augustus in Western Australia. It rises 2,352 feet above the stony desert and is more than five miles long. It is still debated whether it is a monolith (not connected to rock underneath) or monocline (connected to rock underneath). Some people think that rocks are pretty boring. But if you are a rock hound, an amateur geologist who collects rocks and mineral specimens from their natural environment, then what otherwise appears like a plain nuisance in someone’s pathway is a treasure. Early prospectors looked for valuable minerals and gemstones, but many people love collecting rocks and minerals simply for their beauty. Hobbyists enjoy getting together or attending gem and mineral shows.

The world’s heaviest rock is osmium. It has the symbol of Os and atomic number 76. It’s hard, brittle, blue-black or blue-gray transition metal in the platinum family, and is the densest element in the world (22.59g/cm3). It is used in alloys for things that require extreme durability, like fountain pen tips and electrical contacts.
    The Bible has a lot to say about rocks and minerals. David killed Goliath with a stone. Water flowed from a rock in the wilderness. Altars were built by stacking up stones. Rocks provided shelter. Tombs were hewn from rocks. And houses were best built on rock. Because rocks are durable and readily available, there is no end to their usage.

Perhaps that is why God has qualities compared to a rock. David wrote, “Be my strong refuge, to which I may resort continually; You have given the commandment to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress” (Psalm 71:3). In God we may find shelter from the enemy. When being attacked we may stand firm on a solid and durable foundation in Jesus.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. 1 Corinthians 10:4 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

DOES SCRIPTURE SAY DOGS WILL NOT BE IN HEAVEN?

Before tackling the question about whether we’ll have pets in heaven, let me first clarify that the word “dog” is often used figuratively in Scripture to depict vile, shameless people. For instance, the apostle Paul says, “Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of mutilation!” (Philippians 3:2). He’s identifying people who are deluded and claim to be perfect. Dogs in the East didn’t have pet owners and wandered the streets and back alleys. Revelation 22:14, 15 is not speaking about literal dogs.

There is no question that animals will be in heaven. I encourage you to read Isaiah 11:6–9 to see a beautiful picture of what heaven will be like. You’ll see that in paradise, every animal could potentially be a pet because none of them will be “wild” and they will not be afraid of people. God does everything perfectly, so in paradise, we will find complete love and happiness, which will include loving companionship with the animals. But what about our pets from this life? Will they be with us in the new earth? Some argue that such a scenario would be impossible, because the sacrifice of Jesus was to redeem humans, not animals. And it is true that there aren’t any Scriptures that state animals will be resurrected with new bodies.
    However, this might not rule out the possibility. God will bless His people with eternal life as a gift of His grace when Jesus comes again. So if the all-powerful God of the universe wants to surprise us with the gift of resurrected kittens, puppies, horses, fish, rabbits, birds, turtles, or whatever other critters we love on this earth, He is certainly able to do so !

Whatever the answer on this one, I promise no one will be disappointed. We’ll just have to make sure we are there, then wait and see.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. Revelation 22:14-15  

Dieu vous protège

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

THE HEARING OF FAITH

The ear’s malleus, incus, and stapes—commonly known as the hammer, anvil, and stirrup—are the smallest bones in the human body. These three bones, known collectively as the ossicles, could fit on a penny. Sound waves enter the ear through the ear canal. They then hit the eardrum, causing it to vibrate. The higher the pitch or frequency of the sound, the faster the eardrum vibrates.

The vibration from the eardrum causes the malleus, or “hammer,” which is connected to the eardrum, to move side to side like a lever. This moves the sound vibrations along to the incus, which in turn passes it onto the stapes. From the stapes, the sound is sent to the cochlea in the inner ear, which turns it into electrical signals that are sent to the brain—where the sound is interpreted.

It is quite remarkable to realize that the three smallest bones in the body are critical to one of its most important functions: hearing. Thus, these three microscopic bones, according to Romans 10:17, are critical to the life of Christ’s followers. There the apostle Paul announces that “faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” When the gospel is shared audibly, that good news takes the form of sound waves and vibrates those three small bones, enabling the listener to make a decision for or against Christ.
    Of course, Christ hopes that the movement of those small bones will not be in vain. The One who carefully crafted those bones has always desired that their vibrations would produce a faith-response from us.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Galatians 3:2 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all 

DOES THE BIBLE PORTRAY THE DEVIL AS A RED, BEAST-LIKE CREATURE WITH HORNS? 

We’ve all seen those pictures of Satan dressed in red carrying a three-pronged spear used to torment sinners in hell. But you’ll never find this depiction in the Bible. Before his fall, Satan’s name was Lucifer, and he was described in glowing terms. The Bible speaks of him with the “seal of perfection, full of wisdom and perfect in beauty” (Ezekiel 28:12). But all of that changed when he tried to stand in the place of God. He was “cast as a profane thing out of the mountain of God” (v. 16).

The portrayal of the devil as a monster with horns and a pitchfork crept into the church during the Middle Ages, when Christian leaders combined pagan religions with Bible teachings. It not only corrupted many doctrines, it also brought in a mixture of pagan deities that were modified to connect with characters in Scripture. In the ancient Greek religion, one mythological figure was the demigod Pan, who is shown with the hindquarters, legs, and horns of a goat.

Artists during this period made paintings and sculptures showing the devil in these grotesque ways, sometimes with chicken legs, or covered in animal hair, or with scars and boils and other deformities. Combined with these twisted pictures is the unbiblical view that the devil is now in hell. The Bible says he “walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour” (1 Peter 5:8). Satan is not trapped in hell but roams the Earth to deceive and destroy (Job 1:7).
    think the devil is delighted to have himself pictured as a strange mythological figure. He knows that thinking people will reject monsters and fables, and so they deny his existence. But those who do not believe he exists are most likely to be captured by his wiles. The Scriptures teach that Satan deceives (Revelation 12:9), works miracles (John 8:44), misquotes the Bible (Matthew 4:5, 6), and even calls fire from heaven (Revelation 13:13). The devil is real, and we should not be disappointed by his lies.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. 2 Corinthians 11:14

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

ACCORDING TO ZECHARIAH, AREN’T GOD’S PEOPLE TO KEEP THE FEAST OF TABERNACLES FOREVER?

First, we should ask if “all the nations which came against Jerusalem” did come “up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles.” The answer is obviously ‘no.’ And why not? Because God’s people did not follow the conditions of the prophecy as outlined by the prophets.

There are many examples in the Bible of prophecies that changed because of certain conditions. Jonah preached that Nineveh would be destroyed, but the city repented and was saved (Jonah 3:5–10). King Hezekiah was warned he would die, but he earnestly prayed and was given more years to live (2 Kings 20:1, 5, 6). On the other hand, God told Abraham that Sodom and Gomorrah would be spared if there had been just 10 righteous people in these wicked cities. There were not, and they were destroyed (Genesis 18:32).

When Jesus came, He fulfilled all the types and symbols of the Old Testament. The entire Jewish system and tabernacle services were perfectly completed in the life, death, and resurrection of Christ. The temporary rituals, ceremonies, and feasts that pointed to the Messiah have now been fulfilled and are no longer necessary. Jesus has come! While we may learn from studying the Feast of Tabernacles, and some might even wish to keep the feast for teaching purposes, they are not required (see Colossians 2:14–17).

If the Israelites had kept their covenant with God and been a light to the world, then the surrounding nations would have come to Jerusalem as a center of evangelism for the world. But this did not happen. Now God’s people are spiritual Israel, and someday all nations will come and worship. “Who shall not fear you, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy. For all nations shall come and worship before You, for Your judgments have been manifested” (Revelation 15:4).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles. Zechariah 14:16 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

DOES THE BIBLE TEACH MEN CAN FORGIVE SINS?

Before diving into this specific text, let’s first answer this Can a human being take away sin? The Bible makes many statements that clearly show that only Christ can cleanse us from all unrighteousness. We must go to Jesus to receive forgiveness. “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16). “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, ‘Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!’” (John 1:29).

The Bible also defines blasphemy as man claiming to forgive sins. The scribes asked, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?” (Luke 5:21). If a human claims the power to forgive sins, he stands, as it were, in the place of God, which is blasphemy. “The Jews answered Him, saying, ‘For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God’” (John 10:33).

Some churches claim that certain religious leaders have the power to forgive sins. This action is not presented as acknowledging the work of God but standing in the place of God. They teach that a priest really and truly forgives sins because Christ has given him that power. But there are to be no humans standing between ourselves and God, “for there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5).

So how are we to understand the words of Christ in John 20:23? The text is given to Jesus’ disciples as representatives of His church on Earth. If a person has genuinely confessed and repented of sin before God, the church acknowledges and receives that individual into fellowship. But if there is a lack of genuine repentance, then the charges brought against an erring member are “retained.” God gives authority to the church body, not an individual, to receive this person into membership.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. John 20:23 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

ROSEMARIE – AT LONG LAST, PT. 1.

Rosemarie had never seen a Bible. Even though she attended mass twice a week throughout her childhood and listened to the priest read Scripture passages, it wasn’t until she was twelve that she actually saw a Bible.

One day, she was thrilled to find one by chance in her family’s base. Finally! Here was her opportunity to see what was inside a real Bible. Filled with great anticipation, she opened it and began reading. But her excitement quickly evaporated when she discovered strange words that didn’t make sense. She soon gave up.

A couple of years later, she stopped attending church altogether. “As a Catholic, I was never shown, given, or instructed to read the Bible,” she says. Yet she has always felt a strong interest in God’s Word. The Lord was preparing the way to reveal Himself to Rosemarie.

Years passed, and Rosemarie went through some heart-wrenching times. She had a daughter out of wedlock. Then she lost her mother. Though they were not very close, she had longed for things to improve, but now that door was closed. She felt overwhelmed by the pain and confusion.

During these challenging years, she read a book that described a group of Christians who attended church together and then met for dinner afterward to read and discuss the Bible. The idea fascinated her. “Do people actually read and discuss the Bible like a textbook?” she wondered.

One day, Rosemarie sat eating lunch in a picnic-like area in front of the hospital where she worked. A woman she’d seen around the hospital asked to join her for lunch. As they ate, the woman introduced herself as Cynthia and shared how she’d found Christ at a community college in Sacramento.

At the end of their conversation, Cynthia gave Rosemarie her phone number and told her that she’d be happy to pick up Rosemarie and her young daughter any time they’d like to visit church with her. Before the week was over, Rosemarie called and accepted the offer—a decision that impacted the rest of her life.

Do you have a strong and personal interest in the Bible? Amos 8:11 tells us that God will create a hunger for the Word in people’s hearts.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Hope deferred makes the heart sick: but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all 

ROSEMARIE – AT LONG LAST, PT. 2

Rosemarie had been hungering to learn more about the Bible and gladly accepted Cynthia’s offer to attend church. She and her daughter thoroughly enjoyed the service, so Cynthia brought them again the following week. After that, Rosemarie and her daughter came on their own. Her daughter loved the Bible classes for children and even began memorizing Bible verses.

During this time, Cynthia and a woman named Freddie gave Rosemarie her first Bible study using the Amazing Facts Bible Study Guides. She was so excited to read the Scriptures for herself. “I remember discovering about heaven and … that we were going to go and live there forever.” It raised her hopes in seeing her mother again. “That lesson really stood out to me!”

Rosemarie marveled at how easy it was to understand the lessons. “I had never read the Bible and yet here I was reading and understanding about the Creation, how God created the world in six literal days and blessed the seventh day so I would always remember Him as Creator!”
    Rosemarie treasured the studies she had with Freddie, because “that’s how I met my best friend, Jesus!” After she completed the course, Rosemarie was baptized. Soon Rosemarie became an active member of a Sabbath-keeping church, helping teach children in vacation Bible school, assisting with youth programs, and working as an outreach leader.

Later, she began teaching a Bible class at church and worked as a Bible instructor. She also leads a Bible study group at her church using the very study guides that led her into the truth. Years ago, Rosemarie longed to read a Bible. Today, she now goes door to door, offering Bible studies to others … the very thing she longed for in life.

She once cried out to God to give her the opportunity to learn more about the Scriptures, and the Lord now reminds her, “Before you call, I will answer.” God’s answer—at long last—was through loving Christians who opened the Bible to a longing heart!

Think of one way you could share a Bible resource with someone today. Remember, you can be God’s instrument to help lead someone to the Savior!

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

IF JESUS IS COMING AS A THIEF IN THE NIGHT, HOW CAN ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT?

This question illustrates the importance of reading an entire passage and not just a select part. First of all, the apostle Paul says, “Concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you” (1 Thessalonians 5:1). Paul is telling the believers in Thessalonica that they know about Jesus’ soon coming. They are aware that it will be like a thief in the night, but not for themselves (v. 2).

“For when they say, ‘Peace and safety!’ then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape” (v. 3, my emphasis). It is not the believer who experiences the coming of Christ as an unexpected robber, but those who live in denial of the second advent. “But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief” (v. 4). Only those who are unprepared experience the second coming of Christ as a thief. Paul goes on to explain, “You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober” (vv. 5, 6).

Many interpret this text to mean that Jesus will come like a silent thief to steal believers out of this world. Then cars will collide, planes will crash, sacked quarterbacks at football games will vanish, and babies will be missing from their cribs. Popular Christian films present this perspective, but it is a total distortion of the text.

The apostle Peter also wrote: “But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise” (2 Peter 3:10). According to Peter, this coming of Jesus is definitely not a silent, secret event that precedes a seven-year period of tribulation. Rather, this day arrives suddenly, with “a great noise” and is clearly connected with the end of the world!

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 1 Thessalonians 5:2  

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

CAN I REALLY APPROACH GOD DIRECTLY EVEN IN MY TERRIBLE SINFUL CONDITION?

I once heard an old story about a young boy walking through a crowd toward a platform on which the President of the United States was seated. As the boy approached the stage, he moved toward a set of stairs that led directly to the Commander in Chief. Instantly, a security officer grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back. “And where do you think you’re going, young man? You can’t expect to just walk up to the president without permission!”

The trembling boy replied, “Oh yes I can. That man is my Daddy!”

It’s kind of a cute story, even if it isn’t true, but it sure brings home the point of Hebrews 4:16. Sometimes in our sinful condition, the devil whispers in our ears that we are not good enough to approach God. We’re so worthy that we should get cleaned up before coming to the Lord. But the Bible teaches that we have a heavenly loving Father. When we recognize our unworthiness and then discover how Christ loved us, even while we were still in sin, it helps us to know that we have a compassionate God who stretches out His arms to receive even the most rebellious of His children.

Since Jesus Christ lived in the flesh and was “tempted as we are” (Hebrews 4:15), we have a God who understands and who desires to be merciful to us. Hebrews 4:16 tells us we can “come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.” It is humbly acknowledging our sinfulness that opens the door to heaven.

We do not need an imperfect human mediator to stand in our place before God. The Bible says, “There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus” (1 Timothy 2:5).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

PERSEVERE (DESMOND DOSS)

After being drafted, Desmond Doss’ refusal to bear arms gave his commanders fits, and his fellow soldiers often used the meek misfit as a punching bag. He believed his Christian faith forbade the taking of lives and promoted their saving. He always kept his Bible close by but refused to carry a weapon at his own peril. Yet as an infantry medic during World War II, Doss did as much as any great warrior to save the lives of his fellow men.

During a bloody assault in Okinawa in April 1945, private first-class Doss exhibited magnificent fortitude and unflinching bravery in the face of deadly conditions. He retrieved 75 wounded men off a rocky cliff while under constant enemy fire. Doss believed this feat was made possible only by the guiding and protective hand of God. Doss received many wounds during that battle, but he always tended to others before himself.

His reputation as a soldier propelled his name as a symbol for outstanding faith. While seriously wounded after jumping on a grenade to protect his fellow men, Doss dragged himself through the battlefield to treat wounded soldiers until he was rescued. Doss later discovered he’d lost his Bible during the conflict. However, the respect of his fellow soldiers had grown so profound that they searched the battlefield until they found the beloved Book of the private they had all once mocked.
    For his heroic efforts and bravery, Doss received this country’s highest military honor. On Columbus Day in 1945, President Truman placed the Congressional Medal of Honor around Doss’ neck and said, “This is a greater honor for me than being president.” Doss is the only conscientious objector ever to receive the award.

Christ, in the same way, honors the church of Philadelphia. “I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name” (Revelation 3:8). And, “Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial” (v. 10). Praise God for protection to those who persevere in His name.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; Romans 5:3 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

WHAT WAS THE DISTRESSING SPIRIT FROM THE LORD THAT TROUBLED SAUL?

Because King Saul was no longer listening to the Lord (1 Samuel 15:26), Samuel—at God’s direction—anointed David as king in Saul’s place. Then “the spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward” (1 Samuel 16:13). In verse 14, it says that the Spirit of the Lord left Saul, “and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him” (KJV).

Notice the part of the verse that says, “The spirit of the Lord departed from Saul.” That would be the Holy Spirit, right? When God’s Spirit goes out of a person, the devil’s spirit goes in. Nobody is neutral. Everyone has varying degrees of either God’s Spirit or the spirit of the enemy. When the Bible says “a spirit from the Lord” troubled Saul, it doesn’t mean God said, “I’ve got a devil to give to you.

Consider the story of Job. When the devil came to the Lord and wanted to plague Job, he couldn’t do anything until God withdrew His protection. At that point, He said, “Behold, he is in your hand, but spare his life” (Job 2:6). The next verse goes on to say, “So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord, and struck Job with painful boils.” When the Bible says that an evil spirit came from the Lord, it means that God withdrew His protection from Saul after the wayward king rejected Him. Then these devils were allowed to bring a depression upon the fallen king.

The Bible says, “God … will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape” (1 Corinthians 10:13). Although God allows you to be tempted, He’s not doing the tempting. James 1:13 says, “Let no one say when he is tempted, ‘I am tempted by God’; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone.” God allows temptation to come, but He doesn’t send it.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him. 1 Samuel 16:14 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

WHAT DOES JESUS MEAN WHEN HE SAYS BELIEVERS WILL SPEAK WITH NEW TONGUES?

Christ’s promise to His believers begins with the command, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (v. 15). In order to fulfill this great commission, followers then and now have needed help. Since there are so many different languages spoken in the world, missionaries need to speak in “diverse tongues” to reach people. If the followers of Jesus were to choose to speak in only one language, they would greatly narrow their available audience! Therefore, God promises to give them this supernatural help in spreading the gospel.

A dramatic fulfillment of this promise is seen in Acts 2 on the day of Pentecost, when Christ’s followers received a mighty outpouring of the Holy Spirit. Jews from all over the known world, speaking in a variety of languages, heard the good news in their different native languages. Notice how people responded: “They were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, ‘Are not all these who speak Galileans? And how is it that we hear, each in our own language?’” (Acts 2:7, 8).

Unfortunately, the devil always seeks to distort God’s blessings. While many were touched to hear “the wonderful works of God” on the day of Pentecost, “Others mocking said, ‘They are full of new wine’ ” (v. 13). We should note that this gift was not given to the disciples while they worked with Jesus in Palestine. It was given at just the right time and in just the right place for the sharing of the gospel.

People are fascinated by miraculous signs, of course, but Jesus often refused to perform them. Why? They were not intended to be the foundation of faith. While miracles can encourage and help the work of God, they are not meant to take the place of a solid understanding of the Bible. Let’s be wary of signs that do not uplift the work of Jesus. God’s gifts always point people to Christ.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; Mark 16:17 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

WHAT PART DOES “CHOICE” PLAY IN A CHRISTIAN’S LIFE?

The freedom of choice is not only an important value to God, but it is a major key to success in our Christian walk. God wants everyone to be saved. “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:3, 4).

Yet the Lord still permits everyone to have free choice. “I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live” (Deuteronomy 30:19).

We find over and over in the Bible that God gave others the freedom to accept or reject Him. He permitted Satan to choose to rebel against Him. He also permitted Adam and Eve to choose disobedience. Cain and Abel were free to reject God’s sacrificial system, and Cain eventually turned from the Lord. The apostle Paul understood this innate freedom when he wrote: “I discipline my body … lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified” (1 Corinthians 9:27).
    Righteousness is never a locked-in, programmed provision that takes me to heaven no matter how I live, even if I do not want to go. Choice means I’m always free to change my mind. That’s why Jesus asks me to choose Him and to reaffirm my choice every single day.

It’s impossible to really love without freedom to choose. Love cannot be forced or it is not love.

If my daily choice is for Him, He will change me and make me like Him and eventually take me into His kingdom. But remember, I am free to turn and go another direction at any time. God will not force me. My daily choice to serve Him is very important. Jesus said, “whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely” (Revelation 22:17).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    And if it seems evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

God bless

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

MR. TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT

Indonesia’s President Suharto became known by the name “Mr. Twenty-Five Percent,” because he only approved contracts that provided him 25 percent of the profit.

I think we all know that Indonesia isn’t the only place on earth infected with government corruption. One of the most prevalent types of corruption in government is called a “kickback,” a form of negotiated bribery where a government employee helps secure an inflated payment for goods or services that are not needed or sometimes of inferior quality. In return, they receive payment in the form of services, cash, merchandise, or favors.

Even doctors haven’t been immune to the temptation. Until the Anti-Kickback Act was passed in 1987, many doctors sent Medicare patients to medical providers for treatments and tests they didn’t need. Why? Because these providers secretly funded the doctors for sending them business.

In case you think I’m only picking on politicians and doctors, many of us struggle at some point with resisting some form of bribery. It’s part of our “old man” nature, and we get an early start. Children commonly try to bribe their friends, siblings, and parents. The Bible is full of examples of bribery as well. Think of Jacob, who took advantage of his brother’s hunger and bribed him for the birthright. The payoff was a bowl of stew.
    Bribery (along with his own poor choices) caused the ruin of Samson. When the Philistine lords came to Delilah, they said, “Entice him, and find out where his great strength lies, and by what means we may overpower him, that we may bind him to afflict him; and every one of us will give you eleven hundred pieces of silver” (Judges 16:5). That must have been a lot of money! She took the scrap, and poor Samson took the bait. And who could forget Zacchaeus? He was a Publican, or tax collector, a group hated by most because of their habits of cheating and using bribery to increase their wealth. But meeting Jesus turned his life completely around. And that’s the key!

Our verse this morning suggests that if a ruler accepts scraps, his land is headed for ruin. That’s not hard to believe. Whether on the giving or receiving end, participating in a bribe corrupts a person. Involving selfish desire and deceit, it violates trust and bolsters greed. The Bible speaks powerfully against this dishonest practice: “A bribe blinds the discerning and perverts the words of the righteous” (Exodus 23:8), and, “A bribe debases the heart” (Ecclesiastes 7:7).

Dear God, help me to resist any temptation for illicit gain and to conduct my life with honesty.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    The king by judgment establisheth the land: but he that receiveth gifts overthroweth it. Proverbs 29:4  

Amen !

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

FLEX YOUR MUSCLES

Eugen Sandow, a Prussian man born in 1867, is known as “the father of modern bodybuilding.” Besides performing feats of strength with barbells, Sandow was one of the first individuals to develop his muscles to exact proportions. He greatly admired the classical Greek and Roman statues. When he visited museums containing these statues, he would carefully measure them. He then used these figures to build his physique to the same proportions, which he considered the “Grecian ideal.”

Eventually, more people became interested in bodybuilding, and Sandow later created a gym and shared his knowledge on how to develop muscles. He is credited with initiating and popularizing the fitness craze that continues to this day. Sandow’s strength and muscles were only moderate compared to those of modern body builders. Take, for example, Isaac Nesser, who holds the record for the largest naturally obtained muscular chest and arms. His chest measures 74 inches around and his arms bulge at 29 inches in circumference. He has bench pressed as much as 820 pounds and curls barbells up to 315 pounds.

This is impressive, but a small feat compared with the exploits of Samson. According to the Bible, he was the strongest man who ever lived, and he killed thousands of the enemies of his people. When he was tied up with new rope, he simply broke free. Another time he picked up the gates of a city and carried them to the top of a hill. He even killed a lion with his bare hands! How many people do you know who could do that? Can you imagine the size of Samson’s muscles? Yet, when it came to spiritual muscle, for most of his life Samson was a real wimp, chasing after heathen women and making other disastrous moral choices.

The Scriptures tell us that God is the one who gives us strength, both physical and spiritual. “The Lord will give strength to His people …” (Psalm 29:11). “The Lord is my strength and my shield …” (Psalm 28:7). “It is God who arms me with strength …” (Psalm 18:32).

God strengthens our spiritual muscle through regular prayer and Bible study, through trusting His promises and sharing His goodness with others. And like Sandow with his statues, we have an “ideal”—Jesus—and He will empower us to be like Him.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Isaiah 40:29 

God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all
    <h2><span style=”color: #808080;”>ONE SHEPHERD</span></h2>
    Today, protecting sheep from wolves is not simple because wolves are endangered. In the European Union, it is illegal to shoot a wolf without special permission. Even then, the wolf must be especially dangerous, and shootings are limited to six wolves per year. In one case, authorities authorized killing a wolf that had eaten 10 sheep and killed another 62 by frightening them over the edge of a ravine.

In America, the gray wolf was removed from the endangered species list in 2011. American ranchers have always been able to shoot a wolf attacking their flock, but now they can shoot a wolf on sight. In the Bible, wolves symbolize various dangers. Jesus warned His disciples that<span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”> Il les envoyait dans le monde « comme des brebis au milieu des loups », ou des hommes qui les persécuteraient (Matthieu 10 :16). </span><span style=”vertical-align: inherit;”>Jésus a aussi appelé les faux prophètes des loups : « Méfiez-vous des faux prophètes, qui viennent à vous en vêtements de brebis, mais au-dedans ce sont des loups ravisseurs » (Matthieu 7 :15).</span>

While instructing the overseers of the Ephesian church, Paul warned of another problem: shepherds behaving like wolves. “After my departure savage wolves will come in among you. … Also from among yourselves men will rise up, speaking perverse things, to draw away the disciples after themselves” (Acts 20:28–30).

Nevertheless, Jesus will not leave His sheep at the mercy of ravenous wolves or untrustworthy shepherds. God promises that He will gather together all the scattered sheep: “And I will bring them out from the peoples and gather them from the countries, and will bring them to their own land.… I will establish one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them … You are My flock, the flock of my pasture; you are men, and I am your God” (Ezekiel 34:13, 23, 31). That one shepherd is Jesus, “the good shepherd” (John 10:11).
    <h2 style=”text-align: center;”><span style=”color: #999999;”>KEY BIBLE TEXTS</span>
    <span style=”color: #999999;”>And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd. John 10:16 </span></h2>
    God bless

Berean
    Participant

Hi to all

WHAT KIND OF BODY DOES JESUS HAVE RIGHT NOW—PHYSICAL OR SPIRIT?

There is more than one description of Jesus after the resurrection showing that He was not just a spirit floating around; He had a body of flesh and bone. Notice this post-resurrection appearance to the disciples:

“Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, ‘Peace to you.’ But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit. And He said to them, ‘Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts? Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.’ When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, ‘Have you any food here?’ So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb. And He took it and ate in their presence” (Luke 24:36–43).

There are lots of details that show Christ had a body—mind you, a resurrected body that was incorruptible and not tainted with sin. The disciple Mary touched this real body after the resurrection (John 20:17). Jesus invited Thomas to physically touch His hands, feet, and side (John 20:27). Christ met the disciples for breakfast by the Sea of Tiberias (John 21:1–14).
    Finally, Christ walked with His disciples out to Bethany, where He lifted up His hands and blessed them before ascending into heaven (Luke 24:50). Notice what the two angels say to the disciples: “This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven” (Acts 1:11). Just as they saw Jesus with a physical body then, we will likewise see Him when He comes back the second time.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
    Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD. John 20:19-20 

God bless

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account