Covenants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 555 total)
  • Author
    kejonn
    Participant

Talk about redundancy….

Mat 22:36  “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
    Mat 22:37  And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
    Mat 22:38  This is the great and first commandment.
    Mat 22:39  And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    Mat 22:40  On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

1Jn 5:2  By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments.

Compare 1Jn 5:2 with Mat 22:26-40. Basically, the Matthew passage says to love God and love people. So how do we know we love God and love people? When we love God and keep His commandments. But wait there are only two, and they are about loving God and people. So why did the writer of 1 John even bother to mention commandments?

Laurel
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Oct. 03 2007,05:36)
    Aliving Stone What is the teaching of Jesus the Son of God. He only spoke and said what the Father wanted Him too.
    So it is in full agreement with the Father. First He gave us the Greatest Commandments of all, then He taught us what is expected of us on the Sermon on the Mount. And what did He say;”The road is steep and Few will find it.”  ” FEW WILL FIND IT.' I see now I know why so few agree with me. Not that I say I have walked on that Road, sorry to say that is something I just recentley fully understood. Sorry that I am old and unable to do much, but at least I can maybe teach somebody else to walk that road, I at least hope that I can. I hope you read the post I made for Keyonn.

Peace and Love Mrs.:) :) :)

Mrs,
    I just want to point out that you are in the majority with your beliefs.

Few people recognise the need for YHWH's law. Those who keep it out of love are the most few.

Laurel

Laurel
    Participant

1Jo 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    1Jo 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    1Jo 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
    1Jo 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Mrs,
    I think you'll find it difficult to twist this Scripture. It is plain to me that we keep all the Word of Elohim, not just part of it or none of it.

Laurel
    Participant

Deu 11:13 And it shall come to pass, if ye shall hearken diligently unto my commandments which I command you this day, to love the LORD your God, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul,

Deu 11:22 For if ye shall diligently keep all these commandments which I command you, to do them, to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, and to cleave unto him;

Deu 19:9 If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the LORD thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three:

Deu 30:16 In that I command thee this day to love the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, and to keep his commandments and his statutes and his judgments, that thou mayest live and multiply: and the LORD thy God shall bless thee in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

Looks to me like the love command has been around a couple thousand years!

Laurel
    Participant

2Jo 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Yup, love has been around since the beginning.

” So how do we know we love God and love people? When we love God and keep His commandments. But wait there are only two, and they are about loving God and people. So why did the writer of 1 John even bother to mention commandments? “

KJONN ..

I believe if a person loves God, they would obey his law.But the world has been deceived, thinking that this great Law is burdensome and harsh, and lacks love and mercy. Yet, the world ignores the plain Word of God: “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments and His commandments are not grievous” (I John 5:3). The Ten Commandments are NOT done away! The only difference is that ..it is written in our hearts.

God gave the Ten Commandments to ancient Israel, the physical “Church in the wilderness” (Acts 7:38), at Mount Sinai. On the same date (the Day of Pentecost), in A.D. 31, God gave His Holy Spirit to the New Testament Church. This made it possible to obey God’s perfect law. It is no coincidence that both events fell on the same day. They are perfectly TIED together, just as the Holy Spirit is to keeping the Ten Commandments. Without it, carnal minds cannot obey God (Rom. 8:7-9).

The fact of the matter is the Old Testament books of the Law—Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy…build directly upon the principle of love.
    Deuteronomy states: “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might” (6:5). This passage is the same as the original “Great Commandment,” cited in Matthew 22:37. Love toward God is the first step to obedience within His Law.

Love toward neighbor is the second step in obedience to God. Lev 19:18 states, “You shall not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.” This admonition—what is the original “golden rule” that came from Leviticus 19, and, again, this was not a new teaching of the New Testament, as most have believed.

Deut 10:19. It expands Lev 19:18: “Love you therefore the stranger: for you were strangers in the land of Egypt.” God told Israel to not just tolerate foreigners among them, but to show them mercy and consideration.

Lev 19:9-10: “And when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not wholly reap the corners of your field, neither shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest. And you shall not glean your vineyard, neither shall you gather every grape of your vineyard; you shall leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the Lord your God.”

Love, mercy, consideration—outgoing, outflowing concern for others were all attributes possessed and taught by God in the OLD TESTAMENT.

The Ten Commandments are categorized into two sections. The first four commandments define man’s relationship to God. The last six define ourr relationship with our fellow human beings. This was also reinforced by Christ.

“Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets” (Matt. 22:35-40).

In Matthew 24, Christ described conditions that would precede His Second Coming. “iniquity [Greek: lawlessness] shall abound” and the result would be that “the love of many shall wax cold.”

But the time is coming when the whole world will keep God’s Law..the Ten Commandments.

Peter said that “Love covers a multitude of sins” (1Pe 4:8).
    True love cannot endure fellowship in the works of darkness. True love is a love of the truth and judges according to the truth. Otherwise it is not love, but hypocrisy and deception (2Th 2:10). So you see if we truly LOVE God, WE abide in his commandments, and it's not a burden, but a blessing, we find favors with God and with man.

Christ declared, in Matt 5:17-19, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”

God Bless..Cindy

kenrch
    Participant

Truly the Spirit is working :)

Laurel
    Participant

AMEN BRO!!!

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (seeking the truth @ Oct. 04 2007,12:24)
    But the time is coming when the whole world will keep God’s Law..the Ten Commandments.

Hi Cindy,

Excellent post!

I was wondering, in the above quote, you presuppose that the “10 Commandments” is the law that everyone will keep.  Given that we already had the 10 Commandments which were written on stone…….why did God say he would write his “laws” on our hearts?  Were these “laws” that he wrote on our hears the very same 10 Commandments? If so, then why did he do this when they were already written; and if not, then what “laws” were written on our hearts?  Thanks.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 04 2007,13:51)

Quote (seeking the truth @ Oct. 04 2007,12:24)

Hi Cindy,

Excellent post!

I was wondering, in the above quote, you presuppose that the “10 Commandments” is the law that everyone will keep.  Given that we already had the 10 Commandments which were written on stone…….why did God say he would write his “laws” on our hearts?  Were these “laws” that he wrote on our hears the very same 10 Commandments?  If so, then why did he do this when they were already written; and if not, then what “laws” were written on our hearts?  Thanks.

Not3,

Whether or not the commandments written in stone are the same that are written on our hearts, surely you see the difference. Here is a “Kevin parable” for you.

A teenage son receives his first report card of the 9th grade. He has 4 Cs and 2 Bs. His parents know he can do better, so they punish him for not getting more As. The next time around the son pulls up his grades, and they reward him. The cycle continues until he graduates.

Another teenaged girl from a different family gets similar grades her first time. The parents are disappointed, but instead of punishing the daughter, they encourage her to to improve because of the benefits she will see from hard work in life. It takes awhile for the daughter to improve, but the parents keep encouraging her and one day she “gets it”. Her grades take off and she graduates with a good average and a sense of accomplishment.

The son then leaves home and enters the workforce. He finds a job where he can get by doing the minimum of work and goes for years doing the same thing. Every once in awhile, he goes “above and beyond” but he is never rewarded for his effort. He never advances, but he is never punished either.

The daughter finds a job in the same company as the son. However, she has a sense of hard work and knows that doing well is more than just rewards or punishment. She excels in the company and is promoted quickly because of her strong work ethic and desire to see the company succeed.

Which one of these people had a heart knowledge for hard work, and which had a knowledge according to the letter?

The Jews had words written on scrolls and on stone tablets, but they very infrequently understood the value of the words. They just knew to follow the commandments to gain reward or avoid punishment. But along came a man who turned that world upside down and showed them it was all about being in close communion with the Father. The words written in stone were not the important things, but the God who wrote them was. He wrote them so that they may know what would improve their lives and bring them closer to their creator. So he showed them it was not the exterior action that mattered but the motives behind the actions.

LG & LP,
    Kevin

IM4Truth
    Participant

Laurel You could not be more wrong there are so many Churches that came out of the world wide along with the J.W. and Jewish people that keep the Sabbath saying that I am in the majority how do you see that. Do you even understand what my beliefs are , I think all you see that I don't keep the Sabbath like you do, that I am sinning. I do not even know of any Churches in our area that comes close to what We belief. Most either belief in keeping the Sabbath or keeping Sunday. Just Nick and My Husband and I so far that I know.
    That's O.K. everybody has to be convinced in their own minds. I am and I will stay were I belong under the Blood of Jesus.

Peace and Love Mrs.
    :D :D :D

Laurel
    Participant

Mrs,
    My ex husband always said he loved me to, but he beat me almost to death.
    Laurel

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Laurel @ Oct. 06 2007,02:19)
    Mrs,
    My ex husband always said he loved me to, but he beat me almost to death.
    Laurel

Sister,
    I'm sorry to hear about your first love and how you were de-valued and harmed. I believe that it hurts the Father when an married women is not loved. I pray that continual healing will take place in your heart over this. However, to draw this comparison to what Mrs. has shared is a bit extreme. I see that you two disagree quit a lot. May I encourage you both to love one another deeply instead of trying to “annie-up” one another with your words. Words can hurt, too. Love to you both.

Laurel
    Participant

Put yourself in the shoes of the hated one and you will see how I feel, hated. Then she closes with a fake love and peace. Simply my ex said the word, his actions said differently.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Laurel @ Oct. 06 2007,12:28)
    Put yourself in the shoes of the hated one and you will see how I feel, hated. Then she closes with a fake love and peace.  Simply my ex said the word, his actions said differently.

Ah!  I love you Laurel!

You are one after God's own heart! :)

But I know the feeling. :)

The soil doesn't like being turned over…..ready for the seed!

Laurel
    Participant

Maybe it seemed like a bad outward example, but the feeling are the same. I am sensitive to deceitful talk. I learned the hard way.

I do not hate Mrs. and I never will, we are all human an not perfect. I do however think I need to point it out to her since it happens pretty much every time she posts to me. It make coming here no fun. I would rather she see what she is doing and stop doing it and stay here with me, than for her to continue, and me have to ignore her or just leave altogether. There are too many good thing happening here for me to quit. So I would end up ignoring her, and that is wrong too.

I offered her a cure for a virus long after I prayed for her healing, and because she didn't see the “old” words and only sees the “new” words I post, as well as in Scripture, she missed the part that said I was praying for her, then proceeded to cut me for just sharing with her what works for me, as far as healing. Unappreciative, and blind.

Ken I love you for listening and not just that, but hearing me.
    Laurel

IM4Truth
    Participant

Laurel Sorry you feel offended. As far as your advice is concerned about the yogurt I told you that I have taken it for a long time, I don't see what I said that cut you, Sorry I don't understand your accusation, but since you are offended I apologize. If you want to put old feelings of not liking each other aside, Laurel, you have to see how you hurt me in the beginning post of the Covenants. So the hurt goes both ways. You have gone through a lot, but so did I and still do, but please let that not make a difference how to feel towards someone that disagrees with you. I would also look up where you told me that you were praying for me, but I did not see that before this Post. So I believe there were a lot of misunderstandings. Sorry for all. BTW I do not hate anybody either, believe me. I would not always emphazise that Commandment that Jesus gave us, I would be a hypocrite if I hated you. I just disagree with your theology. And you are not the only one. Sorry you see your ex-Husband in it, but I am not He. Is that why you brought Him into it? When I say Love and Peace I mean it.

Love and Peace Irene:D :D :D

IM4Truth
    Participant

Laurel What do you mean by disceitful talk?

Laurel
    Participant

Mrs,
    I will take your word and believe that your love and peace is what you mean. Yes, I agree that we need to stay in His love for one another for sure!

The es thing poped up because I felt that “deceit” I felt from him is the same I felt from you. About the covenants, see I posted the “old” word that I wrote about praying for you, as opposed to the “new” post I wrote to you about CoQ10. It's not the yogurt that help heal. Yogurt just replaces the good bacteria that antibiotics destroys. Life giving enzymes come from those bacteria called amino acids. CoQ10 boosts the immune system, giving your cells the energy they need to combat the viral invaders.

I want you to see that all scripture is good for proof and for instruction. We can not understand the new without the old and vice-versa. Y'shua and His diciples taught from the Torah. The Messianic writings were not yet written. The Messianic writings are proof the the Torah is true. That is why Messiah came. He came to proove the Torah.

I am sorry for all the bad feelings. Let us keep our hearts focuses on the prize, and not on our imperfections.

Laurel

kejonn
    Participant

Moved from the Sabbath thread

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Oct. 06 2007,13:06)

Quote (kejonn @ Oct. 07 2007,05:41)

WJ,

Stop one moment and think of the story of Isaac and Ishmael. Why was Ismael born? Because Abram and Sarai wanted to fulfill the promise God made to them instead of waiting on God to do it. That is where the bondage comes from: doing things our way instead of God's way. Therefore, the law became bondage because the Israelites had come to only observe the letter and not the Spirit. And they also added many of their own regulations on how the law should be carried out. In other words, they took God's law and lived it the way they chose instead of doing it God's way.

Just like with the conception of Isaac.

Now look at these two verses:

Gal 4:25 Now Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia; she corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children.
    Gal 4:26 But the Jerusalem above is free, and she is our mother.

The ones in bondage corresponded to the present Jerusalem. That is, those who lived by the letter and not the Spirit. The sames ones who accused Yeshua of breaking the law at every turn because he was doing it God's way and not their way.

The lesson in Galatians ch.4 is to follow the leadership of the Spirit!

LG&LP,
    Kevin

kejonn

But there are two parts of these passages that should be emphasized.

1. Which things are an allegory: for these are the *two covenants*

2. But as then he that was *born after the flesh* persecuted him that was *born of the Spirit*, even so it is now

The paralell is the “Two Covenants, The “Two Natures” the the “flesh and the Spirit” the “Two Kingdoms” (This world and the Kingdom of God the New Jerusalem)

The Epistle of Galations was written by Paul to defend against those who are persecuting those who are of the Spirit by seeking to bring them under the Law. Which was our tutor to bring us to Christ and which afterwards we no longer need as our tutor.

Gal 3:
    24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster [to bring us] unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith
    25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

The Old and the New.

Later Paul writes…

Gal 5:22
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Which lines up beautifully with what Jesus said the first two commandments were and by which all the law and the Prophets hang. The New Covenant law of the Spirit of life in Christ is a higher law than the Old.

There is no other requirement that I can see but to live in the Spirit and be filled with the Spirit daily.

IMO.

Blessings :)

WJ,

Again, this is where many Christians are missing out. This also may be why Christianity is starting to lose so much ground in America — because people either see legalistic Christians (like the Pharisees were among the Jews) or liberal Christians who look just like the world. Neither group has learned the real connection between the two big covenants.

The new covenant is not a wholesale elimination of the old. Did you EVER see where Yeshua said such a thing? Is the new covenant through Paul or Yeshua? Since you know it is through Christ, you need to compare Paul's teachings with that of Christ's.

Can you show me one single instance where Yeshua spoke of circumcision? He didn't have to because he strictly ministered to Jews. But he often spoke of the law. What of this?

Mat 19:16 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?”
    Mat 19:17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”
    Mat 19:18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness,
    Mat 19:19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
    Mat 19:20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?”
    Mat 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
    Mat 19:22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Now why did the young man miss out on Yeshua's message? Christ told him to keep the commandments but then he added in the next step: that you surrender yourself to him. He didn't say do one but don't do the other. The idea here was that the Law is not enough and it is not where righteousness is found. It is found in our willingness to surround our wills to God. One way we know we've done that is if we are obedient to the commandments! Not by letter, but by our very inner being. That is, our surrender to Christ results in obedience to the commandments of God, not vice versa.

The new covenant is not a replacement but an improvement! It takes away the penalty. And it adds the indwelling of the Spirit that allows us to seek out what pleases God.

The new covenant is a return to the faith that Abraham exhibited. Which is quite appropriate as we are the result of the promise given to Abraham.

Finally, Paul was specific about what the Jews were telling the Galatian believers to do, and it is the same usual thing:

Gal 5:2 Look: I, Paul, say to you that if you accept circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you.
    Gal 5:3 I testify again to every man who accepts circumcision that he is obligated to keep the whole law.
    Gal 5:4 You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

It was all about circumcision again!

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

How does this verse compare with another than Paul stated to the Corinthian believers?

1Co 7:19 For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God.

Put the two together and you can see that faith working through love is what results in us being able to keep the commandments of God! This is pretty much what Yeshua himself said.

Mat 22:36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
    Mat 22:37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the great and first commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    Mat 22:40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

So you see, Paul is teaching the same thing Christ taught. You must line Pauls's teaching up with the Messiah's to get the true teaching of the New Testament.

LG&LP,
    Kevin

Viewing 20 posts - 281 through 300 (of 555 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account