Christians and muslims believe the same thing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,105 total)
  • Author
    Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ June 28 2011,16:48)
    stu

Is that a threat

:laugh: :laugh:

What do you think I will get out of it?

I do not know that is depending on you, what book is your type of book ?

Pierre

Non-fiction!

My favourite reported activity amongst atheists, not that I think to do it myself much, is when in a library to move the bibles from the reference section to the fiction section.

They're not really the suicide bombing types…

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

By the way, you seem very cheerful in the face of possible consignment to hades by your Imaginary Friend. Does he enjoy a good laugh prior to pulling the big chain, or doing whatever he does to a condemned soul?

Of course I am assuming the best for you there. It could be much worse: you might end up having to spend a meaningless eternity in sycophancy to the Celestial Dictator. Let's hope not, eh?

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

stu

what type of Non-fiction books you read ?

what you do at the library is not my concern,it as to do more with the librarian no ?

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ June 29 2011,00:25)
    By the way, you seem very cheerful in the face of possible consignment to hades by your Imaginary Friend.  Does he enjoy a good laugh prior to pulling the big chain, or doing whatever he does to a condemned soul?

Of course I am assuming the best for you there.  It could be much worse: you might end up having to spend a meaningless eternity in sycophancy to the Celestial Dictator.  Let's hope not, eh?

Stuart

stu

I am 71 years old and i have cancer,so i am close to meet God if in deed he exist as you say,

but that is my concern not yours,

but your turn will come in time,you see; :laugh: :laugh:

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

I am sorry to hear you have cancer, and I hope you are as well as you can be under the circumstances.

Fantasy stories of afterlives give me no satisfaction at all, and it is the certainty of my eventual and final death that gives meaning to the rest of the experience of life. It is quite astonishing to have been born at all, and as a member of a species that has the best chance of gaining some understanding of its fellow members and its place in the universe. To ask for more than that would be greedy, and deluded, and remove the meaning of the life we definitely do have (notwithstanding what Descartes might add to that).

Let's say I really was to be judged in the manner of your unconvincing religious fantasy story. The only option for me would be the final death by fire promised in scripture. I would see anything else as unjust. That is not an admission of wrongdoing, just an attempt to get the best of a really terrifying set of (fictional) alternatives.

If the local council would allow it, my grave marker might read “Not just sleeping, not called to heaven, actually dead!”.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

stu

you did not answer my question on the type of non fiction books you take interest in,

as for your judgement I believe you are doing it to your self ,like self destruction or self live ,
    so on your grave it would be more like “here lays a man who could not appreciate live because he did nothing to live,”
    Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ June 29 2011,03:24)
    stu

you did not answer my question on the type of non fiction books you take interest in,

as for your judgement I believe you are doing it to your self ,like self destruction or self live ,
    so on your grave it would be more like “here lays a man who could not appreciate live because he did nothing to live,”
    Pierre

My bookshelf is filled with science, mostly popular monographs across different areas of science, some music history, political satire, travel, sailing, and I'd be able to dust off some Lucretius and Plato which have not seen much light recently.

I am not serious about the judgment thing. Your atoms exist for billions of years prior to your existence, you are born and live for a vanishingly short time and die, and your atoms get recycled into something else over and over again for many more billions of years. That's it.

Anything else is crazy conspiracy talk.

I have done plenty to live, after all I am not just waiting for this drudgery to end and paradise to begin as some posting here are, for me this is paradise, the existence of unbelievably amazing fortune. And I have tried to live as honestly as I can with that worldview in mind.

That means not just accepting snake oil talk of talking snakes from smiling snakes of men who speak of gods they cannot produce. It means taking the opportunity to try and find out as much as I can what is really going on.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

stu

try and find out as much as I can what is really going on.

and did you find anything word that is going on?

with all what you have read so far what do you really know that would make a difference to you and me?

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ June 29 2011,17:18)
    stu

try and find out as much as I can what is really going on.

and did you find anything word that is going on?

with all what you have read so far what do you really know that would make a difference to you and me?

Pierre

I know how the solar system, and therefore the earth came to exist, I know how I came to exist through descent from common ancestors, common with all other living things and I have some knowledge of the motives of my fellow humans. I also know just how physically small our corner of the universe is compared to the whole, difficult though that is to even imagine.

Aside from the intellectual satisfaction of answering those mysteries and an appreciation of the human endeavour involved, these things make a profound difference to my spirituality, which is my awe and understanding of my place in the universe, and my interactions with others where I have some understanding of motive and can therefore appreciate why people act in particular ways and therefore what might constitute sensible and ethical responses when things don't go well, for example. I have a kinship with all living things which gives a proper sense of identity with the whole of the natural ecosystem that is consistent with my complete reliance on it, for example I know that my existence is completely reliant on microorganisms ultimately. Forget a religious sense of “dominion” over other living species: microbes have complete dominion over us.

Put it this way, I would not want to go back to living in the 14th Century where we did not have the understanding we have today. I presume you wouldn't either. If not, are your reasons similar to mine?

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

stu

I know how the solar system, and therefore the earth came to exist

would you not agree that what you know now may not be totally true and so may change like it at change in the past 100 years,?

I know how I came to exist through descent from common ancestors, common with all other living things and I have some knowledge of the motives of my fellow humans.

so you would agree by going backward we all be coming from one couple ?

Aside from the intellectual satisfaction of answering those mysteries and an appreciation of the human endeavour involved, these things make a profound difference to my spirituality

so you are recognizing the ability to humans to improve where other living creature can not,?

I have a kinship with all living things which gives a proper sense of identity with the whole of the natural ecosystem that is consistent with my complete reliance on it, for example I know that my existence is completely reliant on microorganisms ultimately.

so you kind of agree with Salomon;Ecc 1:1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
    Ecc 1:2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
    says the Teacher.
    “Utterly meaningless!
    Everything is meaningless.”

are you ?

Put it this way, I would not want to go back to living in the 14th Century where we did not have the understanding we have today.

so this is confirm the allegory of the cave ,from Socrates ,is it ? with i agree with you.

Pierre

Participant

Hi Stu:

You say that I must first convince you that there is a God in order for you to know that you are insulting Him.

I can only share the truth of my experiences with you, and live my life as an example which should reflect God's love for you. It is Him that I am obeying, to Love my neighbor as my self. And I can share His Word with you.

John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved.

Aside from this, I can also pray that God personally somehow convince you of His reality, and that I am also doing.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stu
    Participant

terraricca

would you not agree that what you know now may not be totally true

Yes.

and so may change like it at change in the past 100 years,?

No.

so you would agree by going backward we all be coming from one couple ?

No. There never was a time of only two humans.

so you are recognizing the ability to humans to improve where other living creature can not,?

Improve in what sense?

so you kind of agree with Salomon;Ecc 1:1 The words of the Teacher, son of David, king in Jerusalem:
    Ecc 1:2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
    says the Teacher.
    “Utterly meaningless!
    Everything is meaningless.”

are you ?

No. While the existence of a word does not imply the existence of the thing it is used to describe as seen in meaningless religious platitudes, my life has the meaning I gave it. I guess you are not mounting a semantic argument here, but, sorry to say it but it does hinge on the meaning of the word meaning…

While we have Ecclesiastes open, turn to Ecc 3:19, Ecc 9:5, and Ecc. 9:10 which seem to be contradicting the conspiracy theory of being alive again after death. Of course none of that was really written by Solomon, if he even existed. Unless he wrote it from the grave.

so this is confirm the allegory of the cave ,from Socrates ,is it ? with i agree with you.

Perhaps it is. Once you have seen what is really going on why would you settle for fantasy myths?! Of course Descartes still applies, you have to make the assumption that you do really exist, and what you see is what you get, but in so many cases we can see both the shadows and the cause of the shadows so that it is not unreasonable to make that second assumption. However for those who think that’s bad then let’s try adding the assumption of the existence of gods that no one can produce and appear not to ever have caused anything, and the further assumption that you could possibly know anything about them.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ June 30 2011,13:46)
    Hi Stu:

You say that I must first convince you that there is a God in order for you to know that you are insulting Him.

I can only share the truth of my experiences with you, and live my life as an example which should reflect God's love for you.  It is Him that I am obeying, to Love my neighbor as my self.  And I can share His Word with you.

John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through him might be saved.

Aside from this, I can also pray that God personally somehow convince you of His reality, and that I am also doing.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

How long should I wait before the affects of this prayer kick in?

I admire your confidence. Many others have hoped I will see their gods after similar promises of prayers.

But you haven't even told me what I should expect to happen.

Of course that is the whole problem, isn't it. It is up to ME to decide what common event of my life is actually to be interpreted as a Sign From God.

And it is the reason you have Imaginary Friends. You interpreted something common in your life that way under teh influence of suggestion from others, but your attribution has no particular support in any kind of unambiguous evidence.

I could be wrong, but you have not convinced me I am.

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

You seem to be unwilling to put YHVH to the test,
    call out to him and ask him to prove himself to you. (2Tm.2:13)
    You hardly have anything to loose, if you believe he doesn't exist.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ June 30 2011,18:08)
    Hi Stuart,

You seem to be unwilling to put YHVH to the test,
    call out to him and ask him to prove himself to you. (2Tm.2:13)
    You hardly have anything to loose, if you believe he doesn't exist.

God bless

My offer is still open. I will do exactly as you ask if you promise at the same time that you will call out to the Roman god Jupiter. Ask Jupiter to reveal himself to you in all his glory.

After all, what have you got to lose?

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

Oh Jupiter, if you exist, reveal to me proof that really really exist.  Oh Jupiter, I call on you to reveal yourself to me.
    Pick any means necessary to cause me to see that you really do exist.  OK, Stuart, now your turn; be true to your word!

Father YHVH (YÄ-hä-vā), If Stuart is true to his word, reveal to him that you really exist. (2Tm.2:13)
    Open Stuart's eyes so that he can see that you are true to your word, proving to him once and for all that you are real. (Heb.6:18)

Stuart, if you are true to your word, be sure let us all know at h-net how YHVH has revealed to you that he is God, and their is no other God but him!
    1Chron.16:8 Give thanks unto “The LORD”(YHVH), call upon his name(YÄ-hä-vā), make known his deeds among the people.

Witnessing to the world in behalf of YHVH (Ps. 45:17)
    יהוה האלהים(JEHOVAH GOD) YÄ-hä-vā .hä ĔL-ō-Hêêm!
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34 / Isaiah 49:16 / Isaiah 60:14)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org (Eccl.9:12-16)

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

And yes, Stuart, I did say it out-loud; I'm still waiting for a sign form Jupiter; but there's been nothing so far. :)

YHVH, that confirmeth the word of his servant (Ed J), and performeth the counsel of his messengers. (Isaiah 44:26)

God bless

Stu
    Participant

Nothing, I'm afraid.

Sorry you haven't heard from Jupiter.

Maybe that says it all.

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Stuart,

Are you going to ask YHVH to reveal himself to you (as you promised)?
    You are guaranteed results, you know!

God bless

Stu
    Participant

Yes, as I stated above, the result was nothing.

But then please read my response to 942767. Neither of you have told me what I should expect to observe.

Stuart

Viewing 20 posts - 461 through 480 (of 1,105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account