Birthday Celebrations: Christians?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    elaine1809
    Participant

wow I never thought of it that way! It is kind of confusing, ok, : Would Abraham or Moses, if they found the wallet would they have TRY to find the owner? or was it good enough for GOD that they found it and kept it ? Is there is anything in proverbs that stated that it was ok to covet or that it was not right to covet? I know this is not the theme of this forum I am sorry for going out of it.I just wanted to know more about it sorry! :D thank you for your help Ken:)

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (elaine1809 @ Aug. 24 2007,06:50)
    wow I never thought of it that way! It is kind of confusing, ok, : Would Abraham or Moses, if they  found the wallet would they have TRY to find the owner? or was it good enough  for GOD that they found it and kept it ?  Is there is anything in proverbs that stated that it was ok to covet or that it was not right to covet? I know this is not the theme of this forum I am sorry for going out of it.I just wanted to know more about it sorry! :D   thank you for your help Ken:)

They were moved by the Holy Spirit but still under the Old Covenant. Sure the law said thou shalt not'S. But again under the New Covenant our righteousness is to exceed their righteousness because we have the Holy Spirit.

We are led by the Spirit :)

Rom 8:14 For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.

You are MOST welcome! :)

Peace and Love,

Ken

elaine1809
    Participant

This is very interesting I am going to do some studying on this see you later! Thanks again!:)

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (elaine1809 @ Aug. 24 2007,12:01)
    This is very interesting I am going to do some studying on this see you later! Thanks again!:)

About birthdays:

The old has past away. Behold all things are New. Should we celebrate the birth of the past OR our NEW birth?

If we celebrate the past is the past then dead?

Is the birth of my flesh Important that which will be destroyed? That is nothing but filthy rags to God.

Peace,

Ken

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Aug. 27 2007,04:18)
    That is nothing but filthy rags to God.

Scripture please?

I don't believe God cares if we celebrate our birthdays. I certainly don't think the celebration of life is likened unto “filthy rags.” But, I could be wrong. If there is scripture that supports God being angry or disappointed in those who celebrate birthdays, I will surely stop celebrating. So far, with all due respect, it has only been personal opinions of those who choose not to celebrate. There is no real scripture to back it up.

Not3in1
    Participant

Remember that any restrictions or rules that are imposed on God's children that do not come from scripture, should carry with them the warning of false humility.

Colossians 2:20-23

If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations – “Do not handle, Do not taste, do not touch” (referring to things that all perish as they are used) – according to human precepts and teachings?

These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and ascerticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Aug. 27 2007,06:16)
    Remember that any restrictions or rules that are imposed on God's children that do not come from scripture, should carry with them the warning of false humility.

Colossians 2:20-23

If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations – “Do not handle, Do not taste, do not touch” (referring to things that all perish as they are used) – according to human precepts and teachings?

These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and ascerticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping  the indulgence of the flesh.

Why celebrate that which is dead and unclean?

These are the some of the scriptural reasons why I don't celebrate the birth of the old man born under sin. I put that old dead man in the grave when I was baptized.

Why would I want to resurrect him every year?

2Co 5:17 Wherefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature: the old things are passed away; behold, they are become new.

1Co 15:50 I tell you this, brothers: flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.

Nothing good dwells in the flesh.

Rom 7:18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out.

Rom 8:12 So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.

If birthdays were to be celebrated then one would think the Apostles would celebrate the King of Kings birthday but there is no mention of any such celebration.

N3I1 What are the scriptural reasons why you celebrate the birth of your sinful flesh?

In His Peace Sis,

Ken

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Aug. 27 2007,11:27)
    N3I1 What are the scriptural reasons why you celebrate the birth of your sinful flesh?

I don't have any! Nor are there any scriptures that say we should not celebrate. It is a personal choice. There is nothing mentioned in those verses that say anything about birthdays.

Besides, we see things differently. I don't believe celebrating a birthday means that we are celebrating our flesh (that which is dead and unclean); when I celebrate a birthday, I am celebrating the life God gave to me or to others.

Regarding the lack of scriptural support for birthday celebrations among the disciples….I've already spoke to that and wonder if those who use this idea (that the scriptures are silent on Jesus' and other's birthdays), I wonder if these same folks believe that Mary and Jo gave their good Jewish boy a bar mitz? I'm sure they did, however it is not recorded.

We should not restrict other's on what is not recorded. We cannot begin to fathom what all the books would contain if everything was recorded of Jesus' life and ministry – right?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (elaine1809 @ Aug. 24 2007,12:01)

About birthdays:

The old has past away. Behold all things are New. Should we celebrate the birth of the past OR our NEW birth?

If we celebrate the past is the past then dead?

Is the birth of my flesh Important that which will be destroyed? That is nothing but filthy rags to God.

Peace,

Ken

Depends on how you look at it K.

It may be the birth of our flesh, but what about our soul?

Jesus came to save souls, not the flesh.

I don't think it matters at all if you celebrate the day of your existence or not. I also don't think it matters if you celebrate the day you received the Spirit too.

What matters is that we exist and we must exist to do what is right and good.

Can we celebrate wedding anniversaries or is that wrong too?
    I don't think there is right or wrong here.

1 Corinthians 10:23
    All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

Colossians 2:21-22
    21″Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”?
    22 These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Aug. 27 2007,11:27)
    why I don't celebrate the birth of the old man born under sin.

When you were born and then born again, were you not the same you/identity? All that changed is a new spirit, right?

Jesus came to save your soul. Your soul came alive on the first birthday. Is that evil? If yes, then is God evil?

Far from it.

Not3in1
    Participant

Again, I ask for scripture to support this claim that the birth of my flesh is “nothing but filthy rags to God.”

When I was born, I'm sure it did not escape my heavenly Father. It certainly was a joyous time for both of my parents and extended family! When my mother died, she held my hand and said, “You have been a joy to me – the daughter of my old age” and she breathed her last. My life is a joy and an honor. When I mark every year that I have been given from my heavenly Father, I do so with great and reverant appreciation. I am deeply grateful for my earthly life, and for my eternal life (which is the hope I live for).

I will say it again, there is nothing wrong with being happy and grateful for our lives…..every year that we live!

Does my heavenly Father look down and see “filthy rags” when he looks at me (for I am flesh)? Certainly not! He sees his daughter, who tries to please him daily, who is happy and joyfull for life. He sees one who is covered by the blood of his dear Son. He doesn't see filthy rags, my brother, he sees righteousness. He sees a gift that is pleasing to him. He sees life and not death.

I am free. Freedom enjoys life and does not pay attention to that which those who are not free say, “Do not touch, Do not taste!” Indeed, there are “gods” and “idols” in the world, but they are nothing at all. For US there is but one God, the Father.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Romans 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11 It is written:
      ” 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
      'every knee will bow before me;
         every tongue will confess to God.' ”
    So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

I believe this to mean, we should all be sure of what we believe, because we will give an account, both for what we've believed and any judgment of someone of differing beliefs (when each side is basing their position on their best interpretation of scripture). Let us do all things in love, if love is our motive God can guide us through the Holy Spirit to all truth.

Blessings to all who Love the Lord – Wm

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Aug. 27 2007,15:38)
    Your soul came alive on the first birthday. Is that evil? If yes, then is God evil?

t8,
    Thank you for this! Amen.

charity
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Aug. 27 2007,15:45)
    Romans 14:5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. 8If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he might be the Lord of both the dead and the living. 10You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat. 11It is written:
      ” 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
      'every knee will bow before me;
         every tongue will confess to God.' “[a] 12So then, each of us will give an account of himself to God.

I believe this to mean, we should all be sure of what we believe, because we will give an account, both for what we've believed and any judgment of someone of differing beliefs (when each side is basing their position on their best interpretation of scripture). Let us do all things in love, if love is our motive God can guide us through the Holy Spirit to all truth.

Blessings to all who Love the Lord – Wm

Amen

Not3in1
    Participant

Seeking…..Amen, brother!

I especially like the part where you say, “…because we will give an account….”. Yes, we must all stand alone before the Seat and answer for our lives and beliefs.

seekingtruth
    Participant

And in case any would would take pride in how much more truth they may have, we should remember that “to whom much is given much is required”.

charity
    Participant

seeking after wisdom with much suffering associated;
    I’m afraid I HARDLEY FEEL LIKE praising the day I was ever conceived and born at times;
    But HERE AND AGAIN; For others in everything I praise God and thank him for them; even if it is their birthday or not;gifts a good to give any day

IM4Truth
    Participant

Seeking after wisdom with much suffering associated. Through suffering we are made perfect. We cry out with Christ, let this cup pass us by, but your will be done not mine. If we can't take up our cross we are not worthy to be in the Kingdom of God.
    May God Bless us and keep us forever more.
    Love is the greatest commandments of all. So let us go forth and love each other as He has loved us. Live is hard enough as it is.
    Peace and Love always Mrs.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Charity,
    I agree, I actually do not celebrate my birthday within myself but I accept the appropriate honor given by others and of course give appropriate honor to others on their birthdays (unless it offends them to do so).

Wm

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Aug. 27 2007,16:46)
    Seeking after wisdom with much suffering associated. Through suffering we are made perfect. We cry out with Christ, let this cup pass us by, but your will be done not mine. If we can't take up our cross we are not worthy to be in the Kingdom of God.
    May God Bless us and keep us forever more.
    Love is the greatest commandments of all. So let us go forth and love each  other as He has loved us. Live is hard enough as it is.
    Peace and Love always Mrs.

Amen sister's IM4Truth and Charity!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account