Bible

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 900 total)
  • Author
    Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 06 2008,11:46)
    true.

So you are not particularly worried about the competence of your GP? If he gets it wrong, oh well, time to pop off and face judgement? Or do you actively look for non-believing medicos are well?!

Stuart

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Stu,
    Do you worry about your health?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ April 03 2008,14:56)
    Yes, I'm learning the ways of the bible God more every day. Here's yet another example of the sexist bible God:

Lev 12:1  Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying,
      Lev 12:2  “Speak to the sons of Israel, saying: 'When a woman gives birth and bears a male child, then she shall be unclean for seven days, as in the days of her menstruation she shall be unclean.
      Lev 12:3  'On the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.
      Lev 12:4  'Then she shall remain in the blood of her purification for thirty-three days; she shall not touch any consecrated thing, nor enter the sanctuary until the days of her purification are completed.
      Lev 12:5  'But if she bears a female child, then she shall be unclean for two weeks, as in her menstruation; and she shall remain in the blood of her purification for sixty-six days.

Notice that everything is twice as long for a female child. Why is that if bible God is not sexist?

Did anyone see this or address it? Any ideas out there as to why God would have preferences over male and female children?

kejonn
    Participant

Hes doesn't. But ancient Hebrew men did. Where do you think Islam got the idea? Ancient Egyptians even treated women with more respect that the Israelites.

Not3in1
    Participant

Good grief.

Sigh….

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Why?
    Who knows.
    But do not join the risk takers who would curse God

Leviticus 24:15
    “You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ' If anyone curses his God, then he will bear his sin.

Job 1:5
    When the days of feasting had completed their cycle, Job would send and consecrate them, rising up early in the morning and offering burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, ” Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually.
    Job 2:9
    Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!”

Not3in1
    Participant

I definitely don't want to curse God. But I do question the bible more and more.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 07 2008,23:39)
    Hi not3,
    Why?
    Who knows.
    But do not join the risk takers who would curse God

Leviticus 24:15
    “You shall speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ' If anyone curses his God, then he will bear his sin.

Job 1:5
    When the days of feasting had completed their cycle, Job would send and consecrate them, rising up early in the morning and offering burnt offerings according to the number of them all; for Job said, ” Perhaps my sons have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” Thus Job did continually.
    Job 2:9
    Then his wife said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die!”

Where does it say that we should not question the bible?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Why not have a TOO HARD BASKET and keep busy with what we can learn?

Not3in1
    Participant

Yes, I suppose. But my basket is beginning to overflow….what then? Plus, the basket of “too hard” a things make me question whether or not the other stuff is valid as well.

You have to wonder, if God inspired the bible through men, why did he allow it to be flawed?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    My view is that if anything needed correction in the OT Jesus would have done it, so we must await the explanations of some parts.

The NT original are not available so we have to wade through the manuscripts to try to assemble what is as close as possible to them. The bibles drawn from them are influenced to a degree by bias and do contain the occasional addition and mistranslation.

There are probably some books which deserve to be in the bible and are not, especially those the bible quotes.

But after all of this what is written is the closest view many will have to our God, His son and life itself.
    It remains an essential and very precious resource.

Not3in1
    Participant

Thank you for this thoughtful post, Nick.

Question though – the OT wasn't complete as we have it when Jesus was alive, was it?

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 08 2008,01:04)
    Hi not3,
    My view is that if anything needed correction in the OT Jesus would have done it, so we must await the explanations of some parts.

IOW, “don't question”.

The NT original are not available so we have to wade through the manuscripts to try to assemble what is as close as possible to them. The bibles drawn from them are influenced to a degree by bias and do contain the occasional addition and mistranslation.

There are probably some books which deserve to be in the bible and are not, especially those the bible quotes.

But after all of this what is written is the closest view many will have to our God, His son and life itself.

But this means that Jesus supported every thing his father did in the OT. Everything. And since Jesus was supposed to have been there with him, that means Jesus watched as all of it happened, if he didn't take part himself.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Where does scripture say Jesus was with God on earth before his birth?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ April 08 2008,23:08)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 08 2008,01:04)
    Hi not3,

IOW, “don't question”.

But this means that Jesus supported every thing his father did in the OT. Everything. And since Jesus was supposed to have been there with him, that means Jesus watched as all of it happened, if he didn't take part himself.

This is an interesting view. I've never considered what you've shared because I do not believe in the physical or spiritual preexistence of Jesus. But you certainly have a point, don't you?

IF Jesus was alive “with” God in the beginning as some believe, he witnesses the slaying of thousands at his Father's command and so on. Hmmm

NickHassan
    Participant

hi not3,
    Why do men think their Creator God owes them anything?
    Jesus cursed the figtree but men remain undeterred.
    It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of God.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 09 2008,07:55)
    hi not3,
    Why do men think their Creator God owes them anything?
    Jesus cursed the figtree but men remain undeterred.
    It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of God.

Cursing a tree versus slaying thousands of souls? Hardly a good comparision, but I understand what you are trying to say. Again, with the fear of just accepting what the bible says because God is God and it's a “terrible thing” to fall into his hands. Well, hmmm, I'm thinking on that one. Thanks.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    The hand of God shown in Jesus was His loving hand.
    Time will come when those refusing his love will see His wrath.

kejonn
    Participant

Welcome to fear factor!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj
    Jn3,
    14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Viewing 20 posts - 421 through 440 (of 900 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account