Bible

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 900 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj,
    So according to you

If they are similar someone has copied.
    If the differ someone is lying.

That is facile.

kejonn
    Participant

Not just according to me. I just linked to others.

But yes, they appear to be copied. Glad you could admit this much. And on the parts that are different, maybe there are lies.

Similarities between Harry Potter and Jesus:
    (1) Both have many books written about them.
    (2) No one has met either in real life
    (3) Both performed a type of magic
    (4) Both had friends and enemies
    (5) Both were “good” fighting “evil”
    (6) Both had movies about them
    (7) Both resulted in best selling books
    (8) Neither can be proven as real outside of the books written about them.

Some differences:
    (1) Less people believe in the reality of Harry Potter since the author admits HP is fiction
    (2) the majority of humanity disbelieves in both
    (3) HP is never seen as “perfect and without sin”
    (4) We know who the author of HP books is. Not so much the books about Jesus.
    (5) HP is found in the fiction section, the bible is not.
    (6) We are not told that we must believe in Harry Potter to be “saved”

david
    Participant

If someone today (a few years after potter) said he was real, people would ask: Who has seen him? Where were the witnesses?

In Jesus day, although some accused him of being a magician, or using demons, or of subverting the nation, or being all sorts of things, I'm uncertain that anyone accused him of being make believe.
    And considering all the enemies against Christianity at that time, you'd think it an obvious charge to make, if it were true.

david
    Participant

Even today, not too long after houdini, a child asked: “Was houdini real?” When someone is so popular, and has such stories about him, it's easier to be confused.
    (when someone asks if you're real, this pretty much means you've made it, as far as being famous goes.)

Things were written about houdini while he was alive, after he was alive, and are still being written about him today. He died on halloween. Many claimed he would come back. (Of course, him, being a magician, was against “spritualism” as it was called back then.) Yet, legends surround him. Some of it is true. He did actually do some crazy things, that most wouldn't think of. Disgusting really. Anyway, today and in the future people can confuse him with merlin and question whether he actually existed, as he becomes more and more legendary. But no one who was around after his death,when the stories were written ever questioned his existence. THAT is great proof that he's not make believe. His life has details connected to real places, and real events in history. As does Jesus' life. It's not the “once upon a time” sort of story.
    Its more of a:

In the FIFTEENTH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF TIBERIUS CAESAR, when PONTIUS PILAGE WAS GOVERNOR OF JUDEA, and HEROD WAS DISTRICT RULER OF GALILLEE, but PHILIP HIS BROTHER WAS DISTRICT RULER of the country of It·u·rae′a and Trach·o·ni′tis, and Ly·sa′ni·as was district ruler of Ab·i·le′ne, 2 in the days of chief priest An′nas and of Ca′ia·phas, God’s declaration came to John the son of Zech·a·ri′ah in the wilderness.

Not “once upon a time.” Very specific in connection to real people and events.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 02 2008,00:33)

If someone today (a few years after potter) said he was real, people would ask: Who has seen him? Where were the witnesses?

In Jesus day, although some accused him of being a magician, or using demons, or of subverting the nation, or being all sorts of things, I'm uncertain that anyone accused him of being make believe.
    And considering all the enemies against Christianity at that time, you'd think it an obvious charge to make, if it were true.

Had the story of Jesus not had all of the miracles, would more people believe in him today? But then we face another dilemma: had the miracles not been in the story of Jesus, would he ever have been believed in when such things impress people in medieval times?

Its a catch-22.

I believe in a historical Jesus. I believe he was a man who wanted to see the religion of his people reformed. He wanted the common people to be a part of it. He was another in a line of men who had the inspiration of God to wrest control of the Hebrew religion from the preist class in power and make it accessible to all Jews.

But as the legend of Jesus grew, such an ordinary man would not catch the attention of the pagans. Pagans believed in Hercules and other such god-men, so Jesus needed his own “angle”. Thus, people likely added miracles into his life as time went by. One of the last canonical books written, Gospel of John, reflects what Jesus had become in the hearts and minds of the Hellenized converts: a god.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 02 2008,00:43)
    Even today, not too long after houdini, a child asked: “Was houdini real?” When someone is so popular, and has such stories about him, it's easier to be confused.
    (when someone asks if you're real, this pretty much means you've made it, as far as being famous goes.)

Things were written about houdini while he was alive, after he was alive, and are still being written about him today. He died on halloween. Many claimed he would come back. (Of course, him, being a magician, was against “spritualism” as it was called back then.) Yet, legends surround him. Some of it is true. He did actually do some crazy things, that most wouldn't think of. Disgusting really. Anyway, today and in the future people can confuse him with merlin and question whether he actually existed, as he becomes more and more legendary. But no one who was around after his death,when the stories were written ever questioned his existence. THAT is great proof that he's not make believe. His life has details connected to real places, and real events in history. As does Jesus' life. It's not the “once upon a time” sort of story.
    Its more of a:

In the FIFTEENTH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF TIBERIUS CAESAR, when PONTIUS PILAGE WAS GOVERNOR OF JUDEA, and HEROD WAS DISTRICT RULER OF GALILLEE, but PHILIP HIS BROTHER WAS DISTRICT RULER of the country of It·u·rae′a and Trach·o·ni′tis, and Ly·sa′ni·as was district ruler of Ab·i·le′ne, 2 in the days of chief priest An′nas and of Ca′ia·phas, God’s declaration came to John the son of Zech·a·ri′ah in the wilderness.

Not “once upon a time.” Very specific in connection to real people and events.

Way to compare a magician — who we know practiced sleight of hand — to Jesus.

Not one of your better moves David.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 02 2008,14:24)
    Hi Kj,
    So according to you

That is facile.

Is it all divine-inspired by an omniscient god?
    How can you tell?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 02 2008,14:04)

The day of creation is comprised of six individual, literal days in sequence.

You keep saying “literal” days as if any other meaning were symbolic.

There are more than one meaning of the word day (whether in hebrew or english.)

We are now going though this for the third time. We have had the list of dictionary definitions and the Hebrew translations and the morning and evening stuff already.

Does the whole veracity of Genesis hinge on the meaning of one word? If it represented literal truth would it not be a bit more convincing?

Stuart

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ April 02 2008,06:45)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 02 2008,14:24)
    Hi Kj,
    So according to you

That is facile.

Is it all divine-inspired by an omniscient god?
    How can you tell?

Stuart

Cause Paul said so!

Jesus loves me
    This I know
    For the bible tells me so!

Ya know, I'm glad I didn't have to look to a book to know my parents loved me growing up. No more than I have to look at a book to know God loves all people, even the messed up ones. We're all one big dysfunctional family.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Kj,
    So all you have left is a form of faith in a god of your own design?

kejonn
    Participant

As opposed to faith in a god of ancient Jewish design? The one I place my faith in doesn't have all of that blood on His hands. He certainly didn't make so many mistakes that He had to have a demi-god son die.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Ants jumping up and down in bitter anger make little impression.

kejonn
    Participant

Who cares about ants? Are you saying that we are like ants to God? Just some irritating pest to be stepped on?

You've really got some whacked out views of God.

david
    Participant

Does the whole veracity of Genesis hinge on the meaning of one word? If it represented literal truth would it not be a bit more convincing?

For the 73d time, one literal defintion of 'day' is: “a period of influence.”

I think we're confused about the word “literal” now.

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 03 2008,06:37)
    Hi KJ,
    Ants jumping up and down in bitter anger make little impression.

Greetings Nick….To reference thread 26 in defense of your efforts to withstand the onslaught of the intellectual vandals let me take this opportunity to say your doing a fine job

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TJ,
    They distract from progress but we learn from them too.
    Sad the irrepressible vanity of men.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 02 2008,17:07)
    Hi TJ,
    They distract from progress but we learn from them too.
    Sad the irrepressible vanity of men.

What progress? You are still stuck in the 1st century. :;):

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    What has changed?
    Do cars and planes and games offer anything of value compared to the blessing words of Jesus or the apostles?

Acts 2
    39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.

kejonn
    Participant

Modern medicine for one. People live longer because of the various discoveries. Plus, people aren't as superstitious any more.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Matthew 15:31
    Insomuch that the multitude wondered, when they saw the dumb to speak, the maimed to be whole, the lame to walk, and the blind to see: and they glorified the God of Israel.

Viewing 20 posts - 341 through 360 (of 900 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account