Asherah and the divine feminine principal

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 post (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Douglas
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ Aug. 25 2009,23:14)
    In the ancient world observers saw that there were two great principles the active, light, masculine and the receptive, dark, feminine.  The great Yin and Yang, the intermixing of which brings forth the fruit of the universe.  In Jewish mysticism the universe came about as 10 eminations from the Godhead beyond, the first emination was Kether a masculine force, the second was Binah the female.  While I think the Godhead itself is beyond division and so sex, it expesses itself as forces male and female for in our universe one without the other is lacking.  It is my opinion that Judeo-Christianity has forgotten the feminine side of God (the Catholic Church's elevation of a clearly human Mary to some kind of demigod status not withstanding).

Given that Judaism and Christianity have always been utterly male dominated social structures, wouldn't you expect them to eliminate any reference to female aspects to God though?

It provides a way for those people to consolidate their power structure by explaining why women are inferior and unable to be represented at the higher levels in particular of those social structures (since that's all most organised religion is – a social structure, typically a pyramid with someone at the top, like most other social structures). It fits right in with the idea that women should be subservient and powerless.

Consider that there were many “Goddess” religions before the current round of male dominated religions – and at some point in history this changed.

Considering how far back human civilisation goes and how little we know about the more distant past, one would have to allow the possibility that people once recognised a feminine side more widely.

For the record, for what it's worth, I classify God as 'it'.

Viewing 21 post (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account