An invitation to chat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    Debra
    Participant

HI t8
    As soon as I work out how to post photos, I'll send some from my neck of the woods.
    I havn't seen NZ yet but hope to one day, I have a close friend who came from Wellington, I've seen lots of photos, what a georgous place.
    The Man from Snowy River was filmed in the Snowy Mountains, a place called Perisher, I think, not the Dandenong Ranges, althouugh it does snow here some winters, we are at the foothills it takes 10mins to drive to the top. It's very popular with tourists as it isn't far from Melbourne city about 45mins.
    Have a great week, and God bless.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi debra,
    t8 must have waited weeks for the wind to die down so he could take that shot.
    It is a pretty city but the weather?nuf said.

Proclaimer
    Participant

That's correct.

Wellington will blow you away, (literally).

We had hurricane force (150km gusts) yesterday although officially we don't get hurricanes here, the wind can be as strong .

It is quite funny when you watch people walking against that kind of wind. If they were anywhere else they would literally fall over due to gravity, but the wind keeps them up and leaning into the wind helps to propel yourself forward.

The windy season is Spring and early summer. Late summer, Autumn, and Winter can be quite still. When that happens it can get really foggy.

But there is nothing like a Southerly Wind in Winter although that wind is not predominate. It comes straight from the Antarctica, and as there is no land for the wind to warm up, (between us an the frozen continent). The wind is icy cold and if wasn't for the distance, I suspect that the odd penguin would blow past. Although we actually do have penguins here.

:)

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Debra @ Oct. 03 2006,00:08)
    HI t8
    As soon as I work out how to post photos, I'll send some from my neck of the woods.
    I havn't seen NZ yet but hope to one day, I have a close friend who came from Wellington, I've seen lots of photos, what a georgous place.
    The Man from Snowy River was filmed in the Snowy Mountains, a place called Perisher, I think, not the Dandenong Ranges, althouugh it does snow here some winters, we are at the foothills it takes 10mins to drive to the top. It's very popular with tourists as it isn't far from Melbourne city about 45mins.
    Have a great week, and God bless.

Oh I got that one wrong. I haven't been to Perisher, but I did get to Koscuioszko. Try this pic:

To post a photo, just click the image button, then paste in the URL (address) to the photo. The picture must already be online somewhere. If you make a mistake, try the edit button and have another go.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    South of Cook strait I will fess up and say we do get winds, very gusty hot norwesters especially in the Spring, and nearly as strong as in the capital. It has been like that today.

david
    Participant

Where I live, the ground was white with frost this morning. In a couple of weeks, the snow will be here.

seekingtruth
    Participant

David,
    Southwest Michigan got a couple of inches of the white stuff today, I'm ready to go to Florida!!

david
    Participant

Hey Seeking,
    We just got snow last night. It should melt in the next few days. Then, it should come back and be here for 4 or 5 months of winter wonderlanded fun…and cold dreary overcast bleakness.

When did you say you were going? in the next month or so?

seekingtruth
    Participant

My 32nd wedding anniversary is Oct 27th. If business allows we hope to leave this Friday and be down there for a couple of months on and off(my wife and youngest son stay until mid-December, me and my eldest son drive back and forth as needed for our business). Looking forward to the time off and it's the one time of the year I usually get to do some reading and meditating (not new age type) on the Lord. In the past it has usually been a time for me to grow closer to God. The trouble is access to the internet is difficult and I will not be able to visit here as much as I have been.

Our winters are long but usually not as intense as those in Canada.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Debra,
    How is the fire risk up in the Dandenongs?
    NZ is warming up and looking great.

david
    Participant

Hi Debra,

We're so happy for you Newzies. NZers? It's about -5 Celsius here.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    About 26 today and clear. 120k winds due tomorrow.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Nick,
    120k winds! do you get them very often?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi st,
    No. Wellington does more often but we do get hot gusty norwesters till New Year which is good for the grapes but the the Autumn here in the top of the South Island is often warm and still.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yeah the wind goes crazy just after the equinox. It gets to hurricane force even though we don't get hurricanes. Mid Summer and Autumn are usually still, but sometimes the wind keeps on blowing.

They say that Chicago is the windiest city in the world, and it actually gets more windy days that us. But the strength of the wind is much stronger here in Wellington.

A few years ago my wife's sister came over to NZ to visit us. She came in Jan/Feb and I insisted that this was the best time to visit and we could go to the beach and swim etc.

Instead the wind blew at around 100 kph for a week with gusts up to 180 kph and more. It was kind of embarrassing as the best month (Feb) turned out to be the worse weather she had ever experienced. The wind flattened heaps trees and our house shook violently all night so you couldn't sleep very well.

They have a saying here. “You can't beat Wellington on a good day”. I think that is true to some degree, but the catch is, you have to get a good day.

For your amusement I have embedded a picture of a New Zealand waterfall on an extremely windy day. The wind not only stopped the water from falling, but reversed it.

BTW: This isn't Wellington, but is in a national park called Fiordland.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Great picture T8 it's now my desktop.

Debra
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 20 2006,09:39)

Hi Debra,

We're so happy for you Newzies. NZers? It's about -5 Celsius here.

Hi David
    We have very dry conditions, and today was very warm, we don't usually get days this warm until November, it's supposed to rain tonight but no sign yet.
    There hasn't been enough rain this year to fill the dams,September was the dryest on record.
    We have our fire plan in place, as every year. Our house is in a wgully, it was built in 1918, and hasn't been burned to date,so we are safer than some who live further up the mountain if there are fires this year. Everyone is automatically on fire alert because it's so dry. We are on stage 2 water restrictions so we have to be wise with water.
    Our farming communities are really suffering, the government has put a drought assistance program in place but it's too late for some poor farmers who have lost everything.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I have heard about the drought in Australia at the moment. Could be a bad year for fire?
    You are welcome to have some of our rain. We have plenty here at the moment.

Proclaimer
    Participant

It's an El Nino year, so I guess that you will get drought conditions in Marlborough this year. Is that what you are expecting Nick?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,
    Apparently but the last three days rain will help. How did you do in that strorm with the 140k winds on the w\e?

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 192 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account