An invitation to chat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi t8,
    God knows those who are His, and they make the world palatable to Him as does salt with food, and only those with eyes of the Spirit see them.

kenrch
    Participant

The dead are already dead unless they become born again.

MrBob
    Participant

I wouldn't say God brought up Katrina from the start. But just like with Israel/Judah back in the day, God lifts protection from those who constantly reject and ignore Him.

I can relate somewhat about the urgency in the US. In DC (about an hour away from me) the crime is at its worst; a “crime emergency.” I was at a Metro station in N. VA last week and saw someone with an open knife as I was passing by (Probably not new, but still creepy). Someone was also robbed–on the mall.

Just in time though, because a group of believers are placing a tent on the mall with prayer, worship, etc. for a whole week. Some prayer groups are also going to pray in the worst crime areas. Just as t8 said, the children of God shine. We're the “salt of the Earth” and the “light of the world” (Matt. 5:13-14).

Proclaimer
    Participant

Could be MrBob.

God might have allowed Satan to do his work.

Job 1
    12 The LORD said to Satan, “Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”
    Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.
    ……………………..

18 While he was still speaking, yet another messenger came and said, “Your sons and daughters were feasting and drinking wine at the oldest brother's house,
    19 when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!”

kenrch
    Participant

Is that all you have Bob. We have drive by shootings! Just the other day five were gunned down. Gang wars! Drug wars! Just plain killing someone just to say they did!!! I believe God had enough. Between everything and then the homosexuals doing their thing in the light of day in the street. Did God just “allow” the dsetruction of Sodom and Gamorrah!
    If this city allows the Homos back then God willing I'm gone! Maybe to New Zealand :) :D :;):

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    This is not paradise either and the world's ways are just as obvious, at least in the bigger cities. We let the light continue to shine in the growing darkness everywhere.

Proclaimer
    Participant

The only difference I think is that NZ is behind the rest of the world regarding corruption, but crime certainly exists.

In a Swiss survey I read about 2 years ago regarding corruption levels of each country, NZ was the least corrupt in the world with the exception of Finland.
    The most corrupt was Papua New Guinea.

I think the police don't carry guns here (is that correct still) and I can remember as a kid, when people put money into empty milk bottles on the street to pay for that days supply of milk.

Even now I can visit small shops or fruit stalls in the South Island, (near where Nick lives) and find the owners not there and an honesty box where you place your money to pay for the goods you walk out with.

But sad to say that each year crime levels increase just as they do in the rest of the world. I think we are just 40 years behind the rest of the world in that regard, but it is still the world nevertheless.

kenrch
    Participant

I believe God only puts up with so much. The times of Noah, Sodom and Gamorrah and the USofA. Tell me how are the Homosexuals in NZ. Or are their any? Am I complaining not at all! I just want to make sure I don't miss the call to escape the wrath that is sure to come if this city becomes another Sodom and Gamorrah.

Murder, prostitution, robbery, drugs but when the homo parade came so did the wrath.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi kenrch,
    The world and it's follies are just another distraction for those in Christ.

We could focus on judging the world or worry about it's influence, but it is better surely to offer the sacrifice of praise and worship to our God in the temple of our being and enjoy His protection and merciful love knowing that our real life is above.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Yes New Zealand has all those problems, but on a much smaller scale.

I think the fact that NZers don't generally own guns helps this society to have less murders etc.

But I accept that the world is corrupt anyway. I don't really get upset at all the crap that goes on. I think it is just a testimony of what happens when people reject God. If the world bore good fruit, then it would be hard to see how the world is an enemy of God.

Our citizenship is not of this world. We are aliens.

What space ship do you drive? He he.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 18 2006,06:10)

I think the fact that NZers don't generally own guns helps this society to have less murders etc.

But I accept that the world is corrupt anyway. I don't really get upset at all the crap that goes on. I think it is just a testimony of what happens when people reject God. If the world bore good fruit, then it would be hard to see how the world is an enemy of God.

:D Space ship? I don't know about space ship but I could use a new earth suit :D

I know that the world is going to go down hill. Scripture says so. Some places are going down faster than others.

UPSET! UPSET!! I'M NOT UPSET!!! :D

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ July 18 2006,20:53)

Quote (t8 @ July 18 2006,06:10)

:D  Space ship?  I don't know about space ship but I could use a new earth suit  :D

I know that the world is going to go down hill.  Scripture says so.  Some places are going down faster than others.  

UPSET! UPSET!! I'M NOT UPSET!!!    :D

Hi Ken,

I get my news primarily via radio. Most mornings I wake up to NPR in my area and the list of serious trouble around the world is enough to make you want to pull the covers back over your head and play ostrich; you just know that men have no lasting and effective solutions for the problems of the world. But then I switch the radio off after the first recycling of news and pray about those things. A pastor's wife, years ago, mentioned praying about the news and it made sense to me so I adopted the practice too. That's one way to maintain our bearings about who is in charge and to stand in the gap too. It also helps to keep me from growing unduly anxious.

Cubes
    Participant

Ken,

Got any favorite Cajun recipes to share? I like simple but would settle for not so simple, provided I can get the ingredients.

How about others?

I am one of those cooks who throw things together to create as I go along; it's rare that I get the same results twice when cooking the same dish. To do that, I'd have to write down my ingredients and method, which I usually don't.

I came up with this quick and easy one some years back and still like it: Just the thing when you get home from work and want something good to eat that is nutritious and leaves you with enough time to hang out or do other things.

Ingredients:
    About a pound of spinach OR escarole washed and drained. A frozen package of spinach is ok.
    A whole onion
    A couple of cloves of garlic (optional), depending on your affinity
    Olive oil
    1-2 tbs of Prepared mustard of any kind, depending on how tangy you can tolerate your food
    Black pepper and salt to taste (optional). Add the salt in increments as the mustard would be salty.

Saute onions and garlic in your choice of olive oil/oil.
    Add everything else except the leaves; gently simmer for a few minutes…
    Add the spinach last and cook for a few minutes longer.

Good over boiled rice.

Of course, you could add some white wine, mushroooms and things of your choice to this and build on it but the simplified version is good too and takes maybe 10 minutes.

I plan to try adding grated fresh ginger to it along with the onions and see what comes up next.

Bon Appetit!

kenrch
    Participant

Oh yeah!  Prayer talking to our Father through Jesus our Elder Brother and only begotten of the Father other than the Word is the answer!!

I'm not much of a cook other than the regulars.  Are you a vegetarian?  I have the up most respect for vegetarians.  Wish I were one!  There is no need to shed blood.  But I like steak and all the rest of the junk food.  Well I don't guess you are a vegie wanting Cajun recipes  :) .

Cubes do you know what a reux is?  A reux is in a lot of Cajun recipes.

Put some oil in a sauce pan on low-med heat add flour and stir continuously until the flour is brown.  Add onions salt black and red pepper and whatever spice would be nice    The reux should be like a paste, thick then you just add water  to make it whatever you want.

Depending on what you are making.  If you are making a gumbo add enough water to cover your chicken and sausage.
    and cook until the meat is cooked.  Add spices as you go mostly Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt it's all to your taste.

You can use the reux to make a brown gravy.  Just use less water. Down here in Cajun land they have all the Cajun spices in a box at the supermarket.  For a reux they have all the spices and the flour in an envelope.
    If you would like I'll send you some of the stuff along with crab boil mix.  
    How's your stomach? :D  If you begin to sweat while your eating then the spice is  j u s t  right !

When katrina hit we ended up in the nothern part of the state and the food was bland compared what we are use too.

When I move to NZ I'll open a restaurant and become a millionaire :D    :) LOL!

Red beans and rice:

Rince the beans with water put a pound of the red kindney beans in a large pot.  Add enough water to cover the beans about 3 inches.  Cover and let the beans soak up the water over night.  You can put your salt and pepper in the water and the beans will soak it up. But you better wait untill you cook a few pounds before you try that.
    The next day you will have to add more water about 2″ above the beans and bring to a boil.  Once the beans get soft take a spoon and smash a few beans on the side of the pot this make the water thicker and tastey.  Add one large chopped onion, a little garlic, a few bay leaves, some people like to add green pepper and Cayenne pepper.  Add  about a pound of pickled pork, and/or sausage.  Cook on low heat stir frequently.

Cook for about 1 hour and taste the beans should be soft and juicy the (what I call gravy) should not be too watery continue to season to taste.  The time of cooking will vary so check it often.  If you over cook the beans will disappear or be too mushy.  Serve over rice.  You can fry up some pork chops that's always good.  NOW I'm hungry!!!

The beans should be soft, cooked, ALMOST falling apart BUT still whole.  If that makes sense.

I have to eat!!!

See ya!

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ July 19 2006,07:32)
    Oh yeah!  Prayer talking to our Father through Jesus our Elder Brother and only begotten of the Father other than the Word is the answer!!

I'm not much of a cook other than the regulars.  Are you a vegetarian?  I have the up most respect for vegetarians.  Wish I were one!  There is no need to shed blood.  But I like steak and all the rest of the junk food.  Well I don't guess you are a vegie wanting Cajun recipes  :) .

Put some oil in a sauce pan on low-med heat add flour and stir continuously until the flour is brown.  Add onions salt black and red pepper and whatever spice would be nice    The reux should be like a paste, thick then you just add water  to make it whatever you want.

Depending on what you are making.  If you are making a gumbo add enough water to cover your chicken and sausage.
    and cook until the meat is cooked.  Add spices as you go mostly Cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt it's all to your taste.

You can use the reux to make a brown gravy.  Just use less water. Down here in Cajun land they have all the Cajun spices in a box at the supermarket.  For a reux they have all the spices and the flour in an envelope.
    How's your stomach? :D  If you begin to sweat while your eating then the spice is  j u s t  right !

When katrina hit we ended up in the nothern part of the state and the food was bland compared what we are use too.

Red beans and rice:

Rince the beans with water put a pound of the red kindney beans in a large pot.  Add enough water to cover the beans about 3 inches.  Cover and let the beans soak up the water over night.  You can put your salt and pepper in the water and the beans will soak it up. But you better wait untill you cook a few pounds before you try that.
    The next day you will have to add more water about 2″ above the beans and bring to a boil.  Once the beans get soft take a spoon and smash a few beans on the side of the pot this make the water thicker and tastey.  Add one large chopped onion, a little garlic, a few bay leaves, some people like to add green pepper and Cayenne pepper.  Add  about a pound of pickled pork, and/or sausage.  Cook on low heat stir frequently.

Cook for about 1 hour and taste the beans should be soft and juicy the (what I call gravy) should not be too watery continue to season to taste.  The time of cooking will vary so check it often.  If you over cook the beans will disappear or be too mushy.  Serve over rice.  You can fry up some pork chops that's always good.  NOW I'm hungry!!!

The beans should be soft, cooked, ALMOST falling apart BUT still whole.  If that makes sense.

I have to eat!!!

See ya!

Ken,

Why don't we just drive over?! If you're cooking, I'm doing the dishes. Maybe my husband could get a few lessons from you while we're at it!

You're not kidding! I can't wait to cook the red beans but will have to wait till the fall when the weather cools a bit because it's going to have to cook nice and slow.

• What is the “fo-ne-tik” way of saying Reux?
  • when I soak the beans in salt water overnight, do I drain the water and start cooking with fresh salted water?
  • Do I brown the chicken first in the other dish or it doesn't matter?

And no, I am not a vegetarian. More of a regular omnivore.

kenrch
Participant

Quote (Cubes @ July 19 2006,19:00)

Quote (kenrch @ July 19 2006,07:32)

Red beans and rice:

I have to eat!!!

See ya!

Ken,

Why don't we just drive over?!  If you're cooking, I'm doing the dishes.  Maybe my husband could get a few lessons from you while we're at it!

You're not kidding!  I can't wait to cook the red beans but will have to wait till the fall when the weather cools a bit because it's going to have to cook nice and slow.

• What is the “fo-ne-tik” way of saying Reux?  
  • when I soak the beans in salt water overnight, do I drain the water and start cooking with fresh salted water?  
  • Do I brown the chicken first in the other dish or it doesn't matter?  

And no, I am not a vegetarian.  More of a regular omnivore.

• Meat for the gumbo should NOT be browned. You want the meat to soak up the seasoning from the reux (r u e, rue).

Most of the water in the beans should be GONE! Soaked up in the beans. You can dump the little water left and put fresh water. In fact that sounds like a good idea, I never have but yeah why not. If you find the beans too salty while cooking, peal a potato and put it in and it will soak up some of that salt. Remember the pickled pork will add salt!

Man where do you live! It gets hot around here but the beans are cooked and consumed LOL! It's the gumbo that goes good in the winter. Now you've done it! I'm hungry again! If i keep talking to you I'll get fat LOL!!

Oh If you freeze the beans (if they are any left) when thawed out and warmed they will taste about 30% better! OF course you will have to add water when warming them.
    If you freeze the gumbo the chicken will fall apart when thawed it's still good but not as pretty :)

I have to go! I'm hungry!

Ken

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ July 20 2006,06:13)
    I have to go!  I'm hungry!

Ken

Me too!

Thanks for the recipes and tips. Fall can wait. I think I'll try it before then.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I boiled water once and burned it.

OK that is my way of saying that I am not a cook.
    I wish I had time to cook, but I barely have enough time to eat.

I could get a Colombian soup recipe from my wife if anyone is interested.

:)

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 20 2006,03:38)

I'm always looking for a different dish. My limited dishes gets old and my wife is not much better although (for some reason) when i can get her to cook it taste better! :D

Now that i ate, I'm sleepy, good night :)

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 20 2006,08:38)

Sure thing, t8. Definitely! Will love it.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 192 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account