A child's age

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Greetings to brothers and sister of Christ, may his love and peace be with you.

this topic came about from a response from Nick, he had written that we should ask our children, their faith has not been messed about with, or something to that effect.

Alot of denominations have certian age criteria's that a child becomes an adult, and there relationship with Christ is their's only.

My understanding with my own children, is when they have understood certain areas of scripture, i.e. commands, statues ect…….

I would like to hear any other thoughts or scriptures regarding this, elders especially.

may Yah's love and peace touch you throughout the day, so we may rejoice in his love and sing him praises.

much love
    rene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WOB,
    We are saved by coming to the saviour Jesus.
    Hesaid we should let the little children come to him as the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.
    So those who are not able to hear and understand the call and who are old enough to walk to him are welcome.

epistemaniac
    Participant

the bible does not specifically say at what age a child stops being a child and moves into adulthood… it will be different from child to child….

as to asking our children to teach us doctrine, that is foolish and unscriptural… we are to be mature in our faith and thinking…

Ephesians 4:11-14 (ESV) [11] And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, [12] to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, [13] until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, [14] so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.”

having child-like faith does not mean that the content of our belief is to be simplistic, but it means to trust in Christ as a Child would trust in their parent to do well for them, to not harm them… so for instance in Mark 10:15 (ESV) Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”

“The expression “like a child” could refer to the way in which one receives a child, but the context favors the idea of the way in which a child receives what is offered to him or her: totally dependent on the person giving it.—New American Commentary

“Receiving the kingdom of God as a little child means to accept it with genuine trustful simplicity, with unassuming humility.—Baker New Testament Commentary

“This verse reiterates and expands the statement in v.14. The kingdom of God is to be received as a little child receives something, that is, without self-consciousness and in dependence on the giver.” (NIV Bible Commentary)

But we must not be like a child in our understanding….

Hebrews 5:12-14 (ESV) [12] For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, [13] for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. [14] But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.”

The fact that Nick think that being like a child is somehow more spiritual could possibly reveal how he came to believe many of the things he continues to believe in spite of all the biblical evidence to the contrary.

blessings,
    ken

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi E,
    That is why Jesus said to LET them come.
    They come when they are ready.

Simplicity should not suffer your comtempt.

2 Corinthians 11
    1Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

2For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

3But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

4For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

hey nick, the disciples rebuke the children at first

having a child like faith i feel is not a bad thing, we must live by faith, things that cannot be seen, we know that our father will take care of us, in what is needed to follow his will.

this must be a subject some do either feel is not important or they do not know. such a shame to see that ones do not care to take the time to understand the children and their walk with Christ.

to plant the seed, to teach his love.

no wonder the children of today see us as they do

his love and peace
    rene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WOB,
    Vain EXPERTS hate simplicity.
    2 cor11

now now nick ………

Participant

Quote (wild_olive_branch @ April 22 2009,12:15)

this topic came about from a response from Nick, he had written that we should ask our children, their faith has not been messed about with, or something to that effect.

Alot of denominations have certian age criteria's that a child becomes an adult, and there relationship with Christ is their's only.

My understanding with my own children, is when they have understood certain areas of scripture, i.e. commands, statues ect…….

I would like to hear any other thoughts or scriptures regarding this, elders especially.

may Yah's love and peace touch you throughout the day, so we may rejoice in his love and sing him praises.

much love
    rene

Hi wildolivebranch:

I believe the age may vary from child to child, but it would be when the child is mature enough to make the decision whether or not he or she wants to serve God.

Maybe we can use what our Jewish practice as a guideline for the approximate age that a child is old enough to make that decision.

The following is copied from Wikpedia:

According to Jewish law, when Jewish children reach the age of majority (generally thirteen years for boys and twelve for girls) they become responsible for their actions, and “become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah”.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

blessings marty,

tend to stay away from traditions marty, a child being raised in the word would tend to take his/her walk with Christ earlier then one who was not, so age or maturity may have nothing to do with it. would almost contend with a 'adult' who accepts Christ as their lord and master.

society has changed so much, for a child to wed at the age of fourteen was no matter at one time, now is different.

denominations have their set rules, even pagan cultures have 'passage to adulthood'

what words/actions could a child do, for one to say yes he/she is ready to walk with Christ ?

much love and peace
    rene

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ April 28 2009,09:45)

Quote (wild_olive_branch @ April 22 2009,12:15)

much love
    rene

Hi wildolivebranch:

I believe the age may vary from child to child, but it would be when the child is mature enough to make the decision whether or not he or she wants to serve God.

Maybe we can use what our Jewish practice as a guideline for the approximate age that a child is old enough to make that decision.

The following is copied from Wikpedia:

According to Jewish law, when Jewish children reach the age of majority (generally thirteen years for boys and twelve for girls) they become responsible for their actions, and “become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah”.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Puberty comes earlier than it used to and of course puberty is a sign of adulthood.   The ages the Jews use are probably an approximate.

blessings kerwin always good to hear from you,

the majority believe that 'coming of age' is when a child is responsible for his/her salvation. thank you for your opinion, interesting as it is.

much love
    rene

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (wild_olive_branch @ May 06 2009,06:27)
    blessings kerwin always good to hear from you,

the majority believe that 'coming of age' is when a child is responsible for his/her salvation. thank you for your opinion, interesting as it is.

much love
    rene

I am not sure puberty would be that time but the Jews well have believed it was. Still, I have not researched the issue so it is more of a suspicion based on the similarities of ages and the idea that Jews have coming to manhood ritual at the time.

I know that knowledge of good and evil was developing during my years of puberty and it is only by the grace of God that I did not commit certain despicable actions. I believe by the time I reached 19 it was pretty much developed though I was certainly not on the right path until much later and sometimes I am not sure I am on the right path now.

as before kerwin, his grace will ensure you stay on the right path, or the correction comes…..i prefer the first, have also had the latter.

in general reading many cultures primal/civilized, the transition to adulthood is huge, ceremonies are held, certain teachings ect. ect….

thank you for sharing your experience, it has given me some peace.

much love to you and yours
    rene

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account