5 Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    You say
    “Phi 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

What does this verse mean to you?

Cult Buster
    Participant

Phi 2:6  (Christ) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    Phi 2:7  But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    Phi 2:8  And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Christ is God, and is all the fullness of the Godhead manifested, and has been with God from the days of eternity. He is the self-existent image of God, equal to Him, and the One who came to this earth in human flesh to die for us that we might be saved from sin.

Matthew 28:17  And when they saw him (Christ), they worshipped him:     :O

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    So the image of God is also the God of which he is the image?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    How can the image God who was with God
    and was given all authority and power
    be equal to the God of Whom he is only the image
    and Who gave him all that authority and power?

david
    Participant

Hey Buster. You write:

Matthew 28:17 And when they saw him (Christ), they worshipped him:

Matthew 28:17 (Darby Translation)
    And when they saw him, they did homage to him.

Matthew 28:17 (Young's Literal Translation)
    and having seen him, they bowed to him.

The Gk word “proskyneo” can be translated worship, if that's how the translators decide to render it. It can just as easily be translated as “bowed down to” or “gave obeisance to” etc.

The word proskyneo and it's Hebrew counterpart are often applied to men, and in those cases, it obviously doesn't mean worship. So when the translator comes to that word, they say: “Well, this is talking about Jesus and we know Jesus is God, so let's render it “worship.””
    Then, people such as yourself use this scripture that says Jesus is worshiped to prove that Jesus is God, because he's worshipped.
    It's circular reasoning.

Phi 2:6 (Christ) Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Some Bibles seem to give the exact opposite meaning.

Philippians 2:6 (New American Standard Bible)
    who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,
    (See Amplified Bible, English Standard Version, Contempory English Version, Revised Standard Version, NE, TEV, NAB etc.)

So there are two very opposing ways to look at this scripture. Which fits the context?

2:5 says to for Christians to imitate Christ IN THE MATTER BEING DISCUSSED.

Could they be urged to consider it “not robbery,” but their right, “to be equal with God”?

NOPE.

However, they can imitate one who “gave no consideration to a seizure, seizure [Greek, har·pag·mon′] namely, that he should be equal to God.” (NW) (Compare Genesis 3:5.)
    Such a translation also agrees with Jesus Christ himself, who said: “The Father is greater than I.”—John 14:28.

The Expositor’s Greek Testament says: “We cannot find any passage where [har·pa′zo] or any of its derivatives [including har·pag·mon′] has the sense of ‘holding in possession,’ ‘retaining’. It seems invariably to mean ‘seize,’ ‘snatch violently’. Thus it is not permissible to glide from the true sense ‘grasp at’ into one which is totally different, ‘hold fast.’”—(Grand Rapids, Mich.; 1967), edited by W. Robertson Nicoll, Vol. III, pp. 436, 437.

I therefore think this scripture is one that argues that God and Jesus are not equal.

The word proskyneo and it's Hebrew counterpart are often applied to men, and in those cases, it obviously doesn't mean worship. So when the translator comes to that word, they say: “Well, this is talking about Jesus and we know Jesus is God, so let's render it “worship.””
    Then, people such as yourself use this scripture that says Jesus is worshiped to prove that Jesus is God, because he's worshipped.
    It's circular reasoning.

David

Your own translation says Jesus was a God.

NWT
    In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

So is Jesus a false God or a true God? ???

Cult Buster
    Participant

David.

See the literal translation.

Phi 2:5  For think this within you, which mind was also in Christ Jesus,
    Phi 2:6  who subsisting in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God,

You can be sure that Jesus was being woshipped because

Jesus is God

Col 2:9  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

Phi 2:5  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus
    Phi 2:6  Who being in the form of God  thought it not robbery to be equal with God

Rom 9:5  Whose are the fathers  and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came  who is over all God blessed for ever Amen

Tit 2:13  Looking for that blessed hope  and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ

1Ti 3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness  God was manifest in the flesh

1Jo 5:20  And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding  that we may know him that is true  and we are in him that is true  even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God  and eternal life.

Isa 9:6  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Rev 1:8  I am Alpha and Omega (Jesus speaking), the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Joh 1:14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,..

Mic 5:2  But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Heb 7:16  Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.

Mat 26:63  But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
    Mat 26:64  Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
    Mat 26:65  Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy;

(The high priest understood Jesus’ claim to be God and wrongly accused Him of blasphemy.)
    Blasphemy is when a man claims to be God. Jesus did not deny this.

Mat 9:2  And, behold, they brought to him a man sick of the palsy, lying on a bed: and Jesus seeing their faith said unto the sick of the palsy; Son, be of good cheer; thy sins be forgiven thee.
    Mat 9:3  And, behold, certain of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemeth. (They knew that only God can forgive sins.)
    Mat 9:4  And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?

2Co 4:4  In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Col 1:15  Who is the image of the invisible God,…

Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
    Heb 1:3  Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

Heb 1:8  But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

1Jo 5:20  And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Isa 40:3  The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD (Jesus), make straight in the desert a highway for our God (Jesus).

Rev 22:13  I (Jesus) am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Joh 1:3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Joh 1:10  He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Col 1:16  For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Heb 1:2  Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 1:10  And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands:

Gen 1:26  And God said, Let us make man in our image,

Col 1:17  And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Mat 9:6  But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.

Mar 2:5  When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee.
    Mar 2:6  But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts,
    Mar 2:7  Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

Col 3:13  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Joh 5:22  For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
    Joh 5:23  That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Joh 14:1  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Heb 1:6  And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
    Rev 22:8  And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
    Rev 22:9  Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
    Mat 28:9  And they came and held him (Jesus) by the feet, and worshipped him.

Joh 20:28  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God (Theos).
    Joh 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Jer 23:5  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch (Jesus), and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.
    Jer 23:6  In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD (Yhovah)OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS (Jesus).

Rev 2:23  And I (Jesus) will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am He which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Mar 2:28  Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
    Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:

1Co 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
    Deu 32:3  Because I will publish the name of
    the LORD: ascribe ye greatness unto our God.
    Deu 32:4  He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
    1Sa 2:2  There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
    1Sa 2:2  There is none holy as the LORD: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
    Psa 78:35  And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.

1Co 10:4  And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Exo 20:1  And God spake all these words, saying,
    Exo 20:2  I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
    1Co 10:2  And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea;

2Ti 4:1  I charge thee therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

Mal 3:6  For I am the LORD (yhovah), I change not;
    Heb 13:8  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
    Joh 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    Joh 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
    Joh 8:59  Then took they up stones to cast at him: (because Jesus claimed the name of God)

Joh 10:9  I am the door:
    Joh 10:11  I am the good shepherd:
    Joh 11:25  … I am the resurrection,
    Joh 14:6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
    Joh 14:10  Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?
    Joh 15:1  I am the true vine,

Joh 5:17  But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.
    Joh 5:18  Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Mat 1:23  Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
    Joh 14:1  Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Acts 7:59, “And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB
    You quote
    “2Ti 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;”
    So Jesus is not God?

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ Dec. 13 2006,17:37)
    An exact representation.

An exact representation.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Dec. 22 2006,17:15)

It's circular reasoning.

David

Your own translation says Jesus was a God.

NWT
    In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

So is Jesus a false God or a true God? ???

God is a god.

The Most High God and the god of this age are both gods.
    Neither is false in that the god of this age is not the false god of this age but he actually is the god of this age.

God is a god. What kind of god? The Most High God.

However I do not hold to John 1:1 as saying that the Logos was a god or the Logos was God himself. There is no article present, so the Logos having the quality/nature of God is a reasonable and grammatically possible understanding.

The context of the book of John doesn't contradict either, it only strengthens this view.

:)

Tim2
    Participant

Well this is explicit polytheism coming straight from the author of this website.  Unbelievable.  What part of “There is no God besides Me” don't you understand?  I suppose you think that bellies are actually gods too?  

Who in their right mind would listen to someone going around saying “***** is a god.”  It's so awful I can't even write it.  What is wrong with you?  Do you really think you can escape the fires of hell going around writing crap like that?  

I'm done with this website.  Repent or perish.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TIm2,
    No doubt a righteous one like yourself would not teach what is not written.
    Where is trinity written?

david
    Participant

I suppose you think that bellies are actually gods too?

“their god is their belly.” (Phil 3:19)
    “For men of that sort are slaves, not of our Lord Christ, but of their own bellies;” (Phil 16:18)

It appears that something that is worshipped or held so very highly is and can be considered a god. At least, that's how the Bible portrays it.
    Instead of devoting our lives and focusing on Jehovah, some spend their whole lives trying to fill their belly. So, it can rightly be said, as the Bible writer did, that some have made their belly their god. When their belly grumbles, they listen, they OBEY. In truth, to such ones, their belly as the Bible states is “a god” to them, a “powerful mighty one.”

We could call this a false God, because it SHOULD NOT be worshiped or anything like that, yet it is in truth a god to such ones, hence the word “god” is used.

The problem is that the word “god” is used so very often with reference to the most High, that when we think of that word, we tend to always picture a divine being, etc.
    Yet, that word, in Hebrew, means “mighty one,” not “divine Almighty being.”

Polytheism is the belief in many gods. Imagine I have a grand eating problem and I weigh 700 pounds. My belly is not a god to you, in the least. But to me, it would be. This would of course be wrong. But the word “false” isn't accurate. False is the opposite of true, indicating that there is a true and false. Really, there is a true God that we should worship and wrong gods that other people worship. Yet, these wrong gods are mighty ones and the word “god” does apply.

That's why the Bible uses that word:
    “their god is their belly.” (Phil 3:19)

Is their belly the true God? Obviously not.
    Does that mean it's a false (not true) god or false (not true) “mighty one.” Not really. To the 700 pound man, their belly is a mighty force to be reckoned with.

Yet, nothing in the universe has any power at all compared to the Almighty, God, king of eternity, our Creator and Lord, Jehovah.

He alone is God, compared to everything, and everyone else.

acertainchap
    Participant

The trinity may be three different distinct entities and are therefore three seperate eternal beings that are one in the same but as in one they are all God. The Holy Spirit surrounds the Father and the Son but the father and son are two seperate entities. ?

kenrch
    Participant

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

God in Jesus. The Holy Spirit without measure.
    Does God dwell in God? If Jesus were God Himself then God would not have to dwell in Him.

acertainchap
    Participant

God wouldn't have to dwell within him, but the Holy Spirit would.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (acertainchap @ June 21 2007,01:50)
    The trinity may be three different distinct entities and are therefore three seperate eternal beings that are one in the same but as in one they are all God. The Holy Spirit surrounds the Father and the Son but the father and son are two seperate entities. ?

Hi ACC,
    There is no trinity in the bible so you do not have to accept it at all. Once you have studied the bible in depth you will realise that there is no room in our beliefs for such a silly idea. It comes from silly old men.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account