5 Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Author

Hi W,
    Then where is your trinity on the throne?

NH

“You should read scripture with an open mind and heart and let it teach you'.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    1 John 1:2
    (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

Jn 5
    26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

So if eternal life is in the Son
    and the Son was with the Father
    yet the Son was given this eternal life
    then the Son had a beginning.

sscott
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Dec. 15 2006,22:13)

Yes.. at the time of John 1:1 the word was WITH God. Though at some point He was brought forth from the Father.

Hi Sscott

Proceding from God dosnt mean having his beginning or origin from God.

Jn 8:42
    Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I **proceeded forth** and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

The Gr word for “Proceeded” is exerchomai, which means:
    1) to go or come forth of

a) with mention of the place out of which one goes, or the point from which he departs

1) of those who leave a place of their own accord

2) of those who are expelled or cast out

There is no scriptural evidence Jesus was born or had a beginning!

He is the Eternal life that was with the Father.

:)

BTW I havnt forgot your post I will have to respond later.

Blessings

Ok..no problem.

Col. 1 states:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

I see two things. He is the firstborn over all creation. The first work of the Father. He – Jesus – then created all things. AND He is the firstborn from the dead. So that He will have the preeminence in all things.

I would agree that He is eternal in the sense that was IS Christ – the Word of God – was always within the Father. Like I said…eternal yet begotten/brought forth.

In Him,

sscott

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi w,

Then where is your trinity on the throne?

Please.
    This is a reasonable question and deserves an answer.
    I am open to what you show me from scripture.
    You state there are three beings in God and I presume you accept they are equal beings so why do you object to being asked to show us from scripture that this “truth” is seen and manifested in our view of heaven too?

You must surely be able to show somewhere three beings as God on the throne in heaven or your doctrine fails.

Ok..no problem.

Col. 1 states:

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

I see two things.  He is the firstborn over all creation.  The first work of the Father.  He – Jesus – then created all things.  AND He is the firstborn from the dead.  So that He will have the preeminence in all things.  

I would agree that He is eternal in the sense that was IS Christ – the Word of God – was always within the Father.  Like I said…eternal yet begotten/brought forth.  

In Him,

Sscott

Col 1:15
    Who is the image of the invisible God, the **firstborn** of every creature:

The word firstborn is,  prototokos which can also mean first begotten.

Protorokos comes from a root word, protos which means:
    1) first in time or place

a) in any succession of things or persons

2) first in rank

a) influence, honour

b) chief

c) principal

3) first, at the first

Jesus is the Eternal Life that was with the Father.

I Jn 1:
    2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

The word “eternal” here is aionios, which means:

1) without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be

2) without beginning

3) without end, never to cease, everlasting

Gotta run!

Blessings

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi w,
    Number 166
    Transliteration:
    aionios {ahee-o'-nee-os}
    Word Origin:
    from 165
    TDNT:
    1:208,31
    Part of Speech:
    adjective
    Usage in the KJV:
    eternal 42, everlasting 25, the world began 5550 2, since the world began 5550 1, for ever 1

Total: 71
    Definition:
    without beginning and end, that which always has been and always will be
    without beginning
    without end, never to cease, everlasting For Synonyms see entry 5801

If the Son was given eternal life
    he cannot already have had eternal life?

sscott
    Participant

WorshippingJesus,Dec. wrote:

[/quote]

I Jn 1:
    2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

The Son is the source of Eternal life to all who believe because He has received life in Himself from the Father.

26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself,

He is the source of eternal life.. as He lives by the Father we live by Him:

57 As the living Father sent Me, and I live because of the Father, so he who feeds on Me will live because of Me.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi sscott,
    Amen.
    He HAS RECEIVED LIFE from God.
    Could he have been WITH GOD without life?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi w,
    Did the Spirit receive life from God?
    Does the Spirit have life in Himself?
    Beings, like God and His Son, have life in themselves.

I appologize if I ever came across as “ah, I got you”.  That has never been my intent.  I know I have been a stickler on some points in regard to the Trinity.  I do this because I am looking for answers that are complete and do not transgress other scriptures.  I hope I am equally strict on all understandings of Gods nature.

So, I guess it is my turn.      I wouldn't say that I yet have a complete understanding of the nature of God, as revealed in scripture, that I would be comfortable teaching others.  While I do believe I am understanding some aspect of God more clearly than before I still do have some question.  

Here is how I understand Christ.  I believe He is the word of God who came forth from God.  The Word has always existed within the Father because it is his Word.  Never has the Word of God not existed with in God the Father.  God as His first work brought forth His word and granted Him life with in himself.  The Son – The Word now existing from the Father and apart from the Father…though He is one with the Father.  Christ is called the wisdom of God.  The Wisdom of God is referred to in Prov 8 as being everlasting and being brought forth.  This agrees with the rest of scripture.  

Verses that agree with the above:  
    John 1:1 -word was God with God
    John 5:26 -granted life in Himself by the Father
    Col 1:15 -first born of Creation (following passage then talks about Christ creating) then Christ is also the firstborn from the dead…so He has preeminance in all things.
    1 Corin 1:24 – Christ is the wisdom of God
    Prov 8:22,23 – wisdom of God is everlasting..always withing the Father
    Prove 8:24,25 wisdom was “brought fourth”.

I also believe the account in Genesis is given to give us more understanding of God.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28

Then we have the account in Gen 2 of Adam and Eve:

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
    23 And Adam said:
        “This is now bone of my bones
        And flesh of my flesh;
        She shall be called Woman,
        Because she was taken out of Man.”

I believe this parallels God bringing forth His word from within Himself.  What “was” Eve was always within Adam.  What was Adam was brought forth and became Eve.  In one sense a beginning and in one since no beginning since what was Eve was within Adam.  

A summary is given in Gen 5:2
    2Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

2 people referred to as one.  

I believe this also agrees with:

1 Corinthians 11:3
    But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Woman came from Man.  Man and women were created by Christ and Christ was brought forth from the Father.

There are a couple of quotes from the “What Christians have said prior to Nicea” article that explain better what I am trying to convey.  I will post two of them:

Hippolytus (ca. 230 A.D)

The first and Only, both Creator and Lord of all, had nothing coeval with Himself… He was One, Alone in Himself…. this Solitary and Supreme Deity, by an act of reflection, brought forth the Word first, not the Word in the sense of being expressed by voice, but as a Reason of the cosmos, conceived and residing in the Divine mind. Him alone He produced from existing things, for the Father Himself constituted existence, and the being born from Him was the cause of all things that are produced. The Word was in the Father Himself, bearing the will of his Progenitor, and not being unacquainted with the mind of the Father. For simultaneously with his procession from His Progenitor, inasmuch as he is this Progenitor's firstborn, he has, as a voice in himself, the concepts conceived in the Father. And so it was, that when the Father ordered the world to come into existence, the Word one by one completed each object of creation, thus pleasing God…. God, who is the source of all authority, wished that the Word might render assistance in accomplishing a production of this kind…. The Word alone of this God is from God himself, wherefore also the Logos is God [that is, “deity,” in the sense of nature of substance], being the substance of God…. Now the Word of God controls all these, the first begotten child of the Father, the voice of the Dawn antecedent to the Morning Star…. This Word, the Father in the latter days sent forth, no longer to speak by a prophet, and not wishing that the Word, being obscurely proclaimed, should be made the subject of mere conjecture, but that He should be manifested, so that we could see Him with our own eyes. This Word, I say, the Father sent forth…. This Word we know to have received a body from a virgin, and to have refashioned the old man by a new creation…. This Man we know to have been made out of the compound of our humanity…. He did not protest against his Passion, but became obedient unto death, and manifested his resurrection. Now in all these acts He offered up, as the first-fruits, his own manhood, in order that you, when you are in tribulation, maye not be disheartened, but, confessing yourself to be a man, may dwell in expectation of also receiving what the Father has granted unto this Son. (Against all Heresies, 10).

and:

Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 175 A.D)

God made all things out of nothing, for nothing was coexisting with God, but He being His own place, and wanting nothing, and existing before the ages, willed to make man by whom He might be known, for him, therefore, He prepared the world. For he that is created is also needy, but He that is uncreated stands in need of nothing. God, then, having His own Word internal within His own bosom, begat him, emitting him along with His own wisdom before all things. He had this Word as a helper in the things that were created by Him, and by him He made all things. He [the Word] is called “the Beginning” [arche],1 because he rules, and is Lord of all things fashioned by him. He, then, being Spirit of God, and arche, and wisdom, and Power of The Highest, came down upon the prophets, and through them spoke of the creation of the world and of all other things. For the prophets were not when the world came into existence, but the wisdom of God which was in him, and His holy Word which was always present with him. Wherein he speaks thus by the prophet Solomon: “When He prepared the heavens I was there, and when He appointed the foundations of the earth I was by Him as one brought up with Him.”

So I do believe the Son could have been forsaken by the Father and God could still have been God.  This makes the understanding of their relationship “in love” more meaningfull.  The Father loves the Son because the Son always does those things that please the Father.  He really is the Son.  He is God because He is from God.  But He is not the Father.  They are one in unity.  Unity in the sense that the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father.  Jesus left the Father and His nature and became a man. He lived as one of us yet filled with the Spirit of God without measure.  He was really tempted in every way as we are yet without sin.  He poured out His soul unto death.  He became sin for us.  The Father poured H
    is wrath out on His Son instead of us and forsook Him on the Cross.  God resurrected Christ from the dead.  And Christ is now a faithful High Priest able to sympathize with our weakness…tempted in all way as we are yet without sin.  

It is easier to die for someone yourself that to send your son. This is what God did.  He did that which shows the greatest amount of Love.  He sent His word brought forth..He sent His Son.  That is the greatest expression of love.

This also makes every passage of where Jesus says the Father is greater than I make sense – as well as the passages where Jesus calls God His God.  

Also from Heaven.net.nz:

“For just as from one torch many fires are lighted, but the light of the first torch is not lessened by the kindling of many torches, so the Word, coming forth from the Word-Power of the Father, has not divested of the Word-Power Him who begat Him”.

I am still praying and working on the understanding of the Holy Spirit.  I'm thinking the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father that He and Christ share.  I heard an analogy once and the Sun was used to describe the Spirit.  The Sun is the source and the rays are part of the Sun sent forth by the Sun.  They are in essence “Sun” but they are not “The Sun”.  The sun rays convey the nature and warmth of the Sun because the are Sun just not The Sun.  The Father sends forth His Spirit and communicates with us by His Spirit.  I wish I had the actual analogy to post.  But, this part is still confusing to me because in Rev. is says there are seven Spirits of God.  So…may God help me understand.  

I hope my explanation makes sense in the way I am trying to explain it.  Please ask me any questions to help clarify if need be.  

In Him,

sscott

Hi Sscott

Thank you for your response. I have looked over your response and agree with you on some points, but I also realize there is nothing I can say that will change your mind, which is okay, because its not my responsibility to change your mind but to share what I believe to be true based on my relationship with God and my understanding of the scriptures. Which I am sure you feel the same way.

The Holy Spirit is OUR teacher.

At least I know how you stand now, as you know how I stand.

So let’s leave it like this…

I hold a Trinitarian view of God because I believe that if you take ALL the scriptures, then the only thing that makes sense is God = Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

You don’t hold a Trinitarian view because you believe it is unscriptural.

I appreciate the fellowship and knowing you, and hope we still will have some dialogue.

Blessings

Hi w,
    Did the Spirit receive life from God?
    Does the Spirit have life in Himself?
    Beings, like God and His Son, have life in themselves.

NH

God is Spirit, is he not?

The spirit is also Christ Spirit is he not?

Hi W,
    1 John 1:2
    (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

Jn 5
    26For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

So if eternal life is in the Son
    and the Son was with the Father
    yet the Son was given this eternal life
    then the Son had a beginning.

NH

Show me a scripture where….

“eternal life is in the son”

or

The “son was given eternal life”

I am open to what you show me from scripture.

NH

LOL!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NH

Show me in the scriptures where the Son was given eternal life!

Inference is a poor witness to truth.  :)

sscott
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Dec. 16 2006,01:14)

NH

Show me in the scriptures where the Son was given eternal life!

Inference is a poor witness to truth.  :)

Go look up John 5:26 on blb.org. The word for life is Zoe:

zoe {dzo-ay'}

TDNT Reference Root Word
    TDNT – 2:832,290 from 2198
    Part of Speech
    n f
    Outline of Biblical Usage
    1) life

a) the state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate

b) every living soul

2) life

a) of the absolute fulness of life, both essential and ethical, which belongs to God, and through him both to the hypostatic “logos” and to Christ in whom the “logos” put on human nature

b) life real and genuine, a life active and vigorous, devoted to God, blessed, in the portion even in this world of those who put their trust in Christ, but after the resurrection to be consummated by new accessions (among them a more perfect body), and to last for ever.
    For Synonyms see entry 5821

Just about every passage the word is used in is to describe “eternal life”. What other life would the Father be giving the Son?

david
    Participant

Romans 6:9: “Christ, now that he has been raised up from the dead, dies no more; death is master over him no more.” (Compare Re 1:17, 18.)

sscott
    Participant

delete

Cult Buster
    Participant

Nick Hassan quoted

Hi sscott,
    The Word was
    WITH God
    not
    IN God

Excuse me Mr Nassan, you just left out one important part of the verse that belongs with the above.

John 1:1   In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,  and the Word was God.

and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.     and the Word was God.

Does this jog your memory?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    Did you not know the divine origins of the Son of God?

Phil 2
    ” 5Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus,

6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.

8Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross

Cult Buster
    Participant

NH

6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

Was that translation from the Watchtower?

Try the following instead.

Phi 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    KJV

There has on this forum been much confusion between Christ’s mission or “office” as Messiah and that of His substance which is The Eternal God.

When Christ was to leave heaven and was to take the form of a man He did not cease to be God. He simply put aside His own divine power and was dependent on God for power. This makes Him our example to follow because we too are to depend totally on God.

Consider the following.

Heb 2:14  Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

He had to overcome Satan while living as a man. Christ did not come to earth to show what a God can do, but what  man can do when he depends on God for power. He succeeded where Adam failed.

Heb 2:16  For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
    Heb 2:17  Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    Heb 2:18  For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Heb 2:9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

A human body was fashioned for Christ. A body which had sinful propensities just like ours. A body less than what Adam had,  weakened by the curse of sin.

Rom 8:3  For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Christ condemned sin in the flesh. He resisted sin. Don’t forget that He laid aside His divine power and did not use it for His own benefit, overcoming temptation relying on God for power. We too can resist temptation if we rely on God for power. Christ was our example.

Heb 2:17  Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    Heb 2:18  For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Heb 1:8  But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account