5 Questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • Author

The highest position in the universe is not “sitting at someone's right hand.”  It is the one who doesn't need a reference point.  Jesus is in a position of power because he sits at his Father's right hand.  
    If I have someone who is my right hand guy, that doesn't mean we are equal in power.  It means he is second to me, the guy I use for everything, the guy I trust.  But it in now way means hes' above me.

David

Sorry I disagree with you. If the Father set Jesus at his right hand and gave him “ALL Power and authority”, that would mean he is equal to God in power and authority because the Father gave him that right. Jesus is at the right hand of God, which means hes not above neither is he below. The only difference is in rank.  :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    Correct me if I am wrong but your claim is that he always had such powers and was not given them.
    You speak only of one eternal being imbued with power and authority called God.
    You do not accept there were two beings but only one.
    Why would God need to be given power and authority?

How can God give God power and authority?

How can God be at the right hand of God?

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

Is 1:18,

Just in case you missed it, I asked this question on page 14 of the “Jesus Christ Is God” thread:

Why do you say that sscott's questions are only appropriate for a modalist?  Do you not refer to the “one” god that you worship with singular pronouns such as “he”, “him”, or “himself”?  Or, is it your position that whenever “God” is referred to as a “He” or a “Him” that it only indicates a single person?

In other words, can the trinity be referred to using singular pronouns such as “I”, “me”, “he”, “him”, etc.?  If they can, I don't see what is wrong with sscott's questions being put to a trinitarian.  Do you?

For the record, his question was:

Maybe you could answer a few questions I have.  The first one is..if God is a Trinity..one being three persons, How could God forsake Himself on the cross?  If the Father forsook the Son and they are one being then God forsook Himself which is impossible.  Which would also mean that God poured out His wrath on Himself?  Right?

The question is pertinent to the five questions that sscott has raised, so I thought I would post it here for a response from you or any other trinitarian.

Thanks.

david
    Participant

Sorry I disagree with you. If the Father set Jesus at his right hand and gave him “ALL Power and authority”, that would mean he is equal to God in power and authority because the Father gave him that right. Jesus is at the right hand of God, which means hes not above neither is he below. The only difference is in rank. :)

Ok, so we agree that they differ in rank.

1 cor 15:28 agrees saying that the son will be “subject” to his Father, God Almighty.
    You say that he and his father are equal in authority. Yet, if Jesus is “subject” to his father, how are they equal in authority?

Please address this, because it confuses me.

david

Hi W,
    Correct me if I am wrong but your claim is that he always had such powers and was not given them.
    You speak only of one eternal being imbued with power and authority called God.
    You do not accept there were two beings but only one.
    Why would God need to be given power and authority?

How can God give God power and authority?

How can God be at the right hand of God?

NH

Phil 2:
    6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jn 17:
    5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Heb 1:
    4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
    5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
    6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
    7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
    8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

I thought that would be something that you would know NH?

BTW NH There are three beings in the Godhead.

Why should we make God work according to the rules of our understanding?
    ???

Ok, so we agree that they differ in rank.

1 cor 15:28 agrees saying that the son will be “subject” to his Father, God Almighty.
    You say that he and his father are equal in authority.  Yet, if Jesus is “subject” to his father, how are they equal in authority?

Please address this, because it confuses me.

David

Jn 5:
    But Jesus answered them, My **Father worketh hitherto, and I work**.
    Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Because Jesus has all power and authority dosnt mean he works independent of the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Father Son and Holy Spirit is in unity and always has been.

For now all power and authority is given in the name of Jesus. Its by his name all is done now. All through him.

But then….
    I Cor 15:
    24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
    [25] For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
    [26] The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
    [27] For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
    [28] And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Notice its says Jesus will deliver up the Kingdom, and he will be subject to the Father.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi w,
    You say
    “BTW NH There are three beings in the Godhead.”

Really?
    Three gods?

Hi w,
    You say
    “BTW NH There are three beings in the Godhead.”

Really?
    Three gods?

One = God Father, Son And Holy Spirit.

You know what I believe NH. So why do you ask?

Respond if you will but I wont trace your rabbit trail.

“Why should we make God work according to the rules of our understanding?”

“You should read scripture with an open mind and heart and let it teach you.”
    :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    You still preach what Jesus did not.
    I am sure you are not greater than he.

sscott
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Dec. 14 2006,21:40)
    Is 1:18,

Just in case you missed it, I asked this question on page 14 of the “Jesus Christ Is God” thread:

Why do you say that sscott's questions are only appropriate for a modalist? Do you not refer to the “one” god that you worship with singular pronouns such as “he”, “him”, or “himself”? Or, is it your position that whenever “God” is referred to as a “He” or a “Him” that it only indicates a single person?

In other words, can the trinity be referred to using singular pronouns such as “I”, “me”, “he”, “him”, etc.? If they can, I don't see what is wrong with sscott's questions being put to a trinitarian. Do you?

For the record, his question was:

Maybe you could answer a few questions I have. The first one is..if God is a Trinity..one being three persons, How could God forsake Himself on the cross? If the Father forsook the Son and they are one being then God forsook Himself which is impossible. Which would also mean that God poured out His wrath on Himself? Right?

The question is pertinent to the five questions that sscott has raised, so I thought I would post it here for a response from you or any other trinitarian.

Thanks.

Yes. The Father forsaking the Son on the cross is a huge problem for the Trinity Doctrine. The Trinity Doctrine states that God is One Being yet made of Three Distinct Persons. If one of the members of the Trinity is not there then you do not have God because God is one which is made up of Three.

Jesus was made sin for us. The Father poured His wrath out on His Son. In the darkest moment of the crucifixion Jesus Cries out “My God My God why hast thou forsaken Me.” The Father had forsaken the Son. The Son became the object of the Fathers wrath. So much so that God was pleased to bruise/crush Him. For the first time Christ was separated from the Father. In the Trinitarian sense he was separated from the Godhead – which is not compatible with the Trinity Doctrine.

The only way to interpret what Christ said on the cross according to the Trinity Doctrine is to say that He was not really forsaken.

Christ being forsaken by the Father on the Cross is center point and maximum expression of God's love for us. The Father forsaking His only Son to reconcile to Him those would rightly deserve and should receive eternal wrath/death.

Yes.  The Father forsaking the Son on the cross is a huge problem for the Trinity Doctrine.  The Trinity Doctrine states that God is One Being yet made of Three Distinct Persons.  If one of the members of the Trinity is not there then you do not have God because God is one which is made up of Three.

Jesus was made sin for us.  The Father poured His wrath out on His Son.  In the darkest moment of the crucifixion Jesus Cries out “My God My God why hast thou forsaken Me.”  The Father had forsaken the Son.  The Son became the object of the Fathers wrath.  So much so that God was pleased to bruise/crush Him.  For the first time Christ was separated from the Father.  In the Trinitarian sense he was separated from the Godhead – which is not compatible with the Trinity Doctrine.  

The only way to interpret what Christ said on the cross according to the Trinity Doctrine is to say that He was not really forsaken.  

Christ being forsaken by the Father on the Cross is center point and maximum expression of God's love for us.  The Father forsaking His only Son to reconcile to Him those would rightly deserve and should receive eternal wrath/death.

Sscott

Since everyone who holds an anti Trinitarian view thinks that they have caught the Trinitarian with one, and the attitude is like “ahh we got you”.

Then lets just say that Jesus is not God but just the Son of God as you believe.

Then from your Unitarian view what dose it mean for Jesus to say, “My God, My God why hast thou forsaken me”?

Please give me an answer how that God forsook the Son based on your view.

If you cant give me an answer based on a Unitarian view than why should I be a Unitarian?

You have asked a lot of questions here and gotten a lot of answers most of which you have disagreed with.

So now its your turn!

I'm listening with an open heart and praying Spirit? :)

Yes.  The Father forsaking the Son on the cross is a huge problem for the Trinity Doctrine.  The Trinity Doctrine states that God is One Being yet made of Three Distinct Persons.

BTW Trinitarians have presented some real problems for the unitarians which have been ignored also.

Like for instance the person of the Holy Spirit.

Incidently we believe there are three beings in one.

One Godhead. Father Son and Holy Ghost. Not just three personalities.like a three headed God. :)

Yes. The Father forsaking the Son on the cross is a huge problem for the Trinity Doctrine. The Trinity Doctrine states that God is One Being yet made of Three Distinct Persons. If one of the members of the Trinity is not there then you do not have God because God is one which is made up of Three.

Jesus was made sin for us. The Father poured His wrath out on His Son. In the darkest moment of the crucifixion Jesus Cries out “My God My God why hast thou forsaken Me.” The Father had forsaken the Son. The Son became the object of the Fathers wrath. So much so that God was pleased to bruise/crush Him. For the first time Christ was separated from the Father. In the Trinitarian sense he was separated from the Godhead – which is not compatible with the Trinity Doctrine.

Christ being forsaken by the Father on the Cross is center point and maximum expression of God's love for us. The Father forsaking His only Son to reconcile to Him those would rightly deserve and should receive eternal wrath/death.

BTW Im looking for more of an answer than you have here.

Please tell me in relation to Jesus being the Word that was with God and became flesh.

sscott
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Dec. 15 2006,06:21)

Sscott

Since everyone who holds an anti Trinitarian view thinks that they have caught the Trinitarian with one, and the attitude is like “ahh we got you”.

Then lets just say that Jesus is not God but just the Son of God as you believe.

Then from your Unitarian view what dose it mean for Jesus to say, “My God, My God why hast thou forsaken me”?

If you cant give me an answer based on a Unitarian view than why should I be a Unitarian?

You have asked a lot of questions here and gotten a lot of answers most of which you have disagreed with.

So now its your turn!

WorshippingJesus,

I appologize if I ever came across as “ah, I got you”. That has never been my intent. I know I have been a stickler on some points in regard to the Trinity. I do this because I am looking for answers that are complete and do not transgress other scriptures. I hope I am equally strict on all understandings of Gods nature.

So, I guess it is my turn. :) I wouldn't say that I yet have a complete understanding of the nature of God, as revealed in scripture, that I would be comfortable teaching others. While I do believe I am understanding some aspect of God more clearly than before I still do have some question.

Here is how I understand Christ. I believe He is the word of God who came forth from God. The Word has always existed within the Father because it is his Word. Never has the Word of God not existed with in God the Father. God as His first work brought forth His word and granted Him life with in himself. The Son – The Word now existing from the Father and apart from the Father…though He is one with the Father. Christ is called the wisdom of God. The Wisdom of God is referred to in Prov 8 as being everlasting and being brought forth. This agrees with the rest of scripture.

Verses that agree with the above:
    John 1:1 -word was God with God
    John 5:26 -granted life in Himself by the Father
    Col 1:15 -first born of Creation (following passage then talks about Christ creating) then Christ is also the firstborn from the dead…so He has preeminance in all things.
    1 Corin 1:24 – Christ is the wisdom of God
    Prov 8:22,23 – wisdom of God is everlasting..always withing the Father
    Prove 8:24,25 wisdom was “brought fourth”.

I also believe the account in Genesis is given to give us more understanding of God.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28

Then we have the account in Gen 2 of Adam and Eve:

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
    23 And Adam said:
    “This is now bone of my bones
    And flesh of my flesh;
    She shall be called Woman,
    Because she was taken out of Man.”

I believe this parallels God bringing forth His word from within Himself. What “was” Eve was always within Adam. What was Adam was brought forth and became Eve. In one sense a beginning and in one since no beginning since what was Eve was within Adam.

A summary is given in Gen 5:2
    2Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

2 people referred to as one.

I believe this also agrees with:

1 Corinthians 11:3
    But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Woman came from Man. Man and women were created by Christ and Christ was brought forth from the Father.

There are a couple of quotes from the “What Christians have said prior to Nicea” article that explain better what I am trying to convey. I will post two of them:

Hippolytus (ca. 230 A.D)

The first and Only, both Creator and Lord of all, had nothing coeval with Himself… He was One, Alone in Himself…. this Solitary and Supreme Deity, by an act of reflection, brought forth the Word first, not the Word in the sense of being expressed by voice, but as a Reason of the cosmos, conceived and residing in the Divine mind. Him alone He produced from existing things, for the Father Himself constituted existence, and the being born from Him was the cause of all things that are produced. The Word was in the Father Himself, bearing the will of his Progenitor, and not being unacquainted with the mind of the Father. For simultaneously with his procession from His Progenitor, inasmuch as he is this Progenitor's firstborn, he has, as a voice in himself, the concepts conceived in the Father. And so it was, that when the Father ordered the world to come into existence, the Word one by one completed each object of creation, thus pleasing God…. God, who is the source of all authority, wished that the Word might render assistance in accomplishing a production of this kind…. The Word alone of this God is from God himself, wherefore also the Logos is God [that is, “deity,” in the sense of nature of substance], being the substance of God…. Now the Word of God controls all these, the first begotten child of the Father, the voice of the Dawn antecedent to the Morning Star…. This Word, the Father in the latter days sent forth, no longer to speak by a prophet, and not wishing that the Word, being obscurely proclaimed, should be made the subject of mere conjecture, but that He should be manifested, so that we could see Him with our own eyes. This Word, I say, the Father sent forth…. This Word we know
    to have received a body from a virgin, and to have refashioned the old man by a new creation…. This Man we know to have been made out of the compound of our humanity…. He did not protest against his Passion, but became obedient unto death, and manifested his resurrection. Now in all these acts He offered up, as the first-fruits, his own manhood, in order that you, when you are in tribulation, maye not be disheartened, but, confessing yourself to be a man, may dwell in expectation of also receiving what the Father has granted unto this Son. (Against all Heresies, 10).

and:

Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 175 A.D)

God made all things out of nothing, for nothing was coexisting with God, but He being His own place, and wanting nothing, and existing before the ages, willed to make man by whom He might be known, for him, therefore, He prepared the world. For he that is created is also needy, but He that is uncreated stands in need of nothing. God, then, having His own Word internal within His own bosom, begat him, emitting him along with His own wisdom before all things. He had this Word as a helper in the things that were created by Him, and by him He made all things. He [the Word] is called “the Beginning” [arche],1 because he rules, and is Lord of all things fashioned by him. He, then, being Spirit of God, and arche, and wisdom, and Power of The Highest, came down upon the prophets, and through them spoke of the creation of the world and of all other things. For the prophets were not when the world came into existence, but the wisdom of God which was in him, and His holy Word which was always present with him. Wherein he speaks thus by the prophet Solomon: “When He prepared the heavens I was there, and when He appointed the foundations of the earth I was by Him as one brought up with Him.”

So I do believe the Son could have been forsaken by the Father and God could still have been God. This makes the understanding of their relationship “in love” more meaningfull. The Father loves the Son because the Son always does those things that please the Father. He really is the Son. He is God because He is from God. But He is not the Father. They are one in unity. Unity in the sense that the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father. Jesus left the Father and His nature and became a man. He lived as one of us yet filled with the Spirit of God without measure. He was really tempted in every way as we are yet without sin. He poured out His soul unto death. He became sin for us. The Father poured His wrath out on His Son instead of us and forsook Him on the Cross. God resurrected Christ from the dead. And Christ is now a faithful High Priest able to sympathize with our weakness…tempted in all way as we are yet without sin.

It is easier to die for someone yourself that to send your son. This is what God did. He did that which shows the greatest amount of Love. He sent His word brought forth..He sent His Son. That is the greatest expression of love.

This also makes every passage of where Jesus says the Father is greater than I make sense – as well as the passages where Jesus calls God His God.

Also from Heaven.net.nz:

“For just as from one torch many fires are lighted, but the light of the first torch is not lessened by the kindling of many torches, so the Word, coming forth from the Word-Power of the Father, has not divested of the Word-Power Him who begat Him”.

I am still praying and working on the understanding of the Holy Spirit. I'm thinking the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father that He and Christ share. I heard an analogy once and the Sun was used to describe the Spirit. The Sun is the source and the rays are part of the Sun sent forth by the Sun. They are in essence “Sun” but they are not “The Sun”. The sun rays convey the nature and warmth of the Sun because the are Sun just not The Sun. The Father sends forth His Spirit and communicates with us by His Spirit. I wish I had the actual analogy to post. But, this part is still confusing to me because in Rev. is says there are seven Spirits of God. So…may God help me understand. :)

I hope my explanation makes sense in the way I am trying to explain it. Please ask me any questions to help clarify if need be.

In Him,

sscott

david
    Participant

Notice its says Jesus will deliver up the Kingdom, and he will be subject to the Father.

Yes. I noticed that. It was the point I was making. When you are subject to someone you are not really equal with that one. At least, not equal in rank or position. I guess you and others argue that they are equal in essence or being, whatever that means.

IF THE FATHER AND SON ARE EQUAL IN AUTHORITY AS YOU SAY, HOW IS IT THAT ONE IS SUBJECT TO THE OTHER? ? ?

Makes no sense.

Used as an adjective, here is the definition of “subject” in the Encarta:

2. ruled: under the control of somebody or something such as a ruler or a law, and obliged to obey
    a subject nation
    not subject to the laws that apply in this country

And here is the definition when the word is used as a noun in this sense:
    4. person ruled by another: somebody who is ruled by a king, queen, or other authority

If someone is under the control of someone else or ruled by that person, I assure you they are not equal in authority. One has authority over the other!

Here's another thing that bothers me. I guess I'm not really arguing this with you since you agree that they are not equal in rank or position. I guess I'm arguing against the Catholic trinity. No one has explained the difference to me yet. But if they are now equal, then they couldn't have been equal before, before Jesus had been given all power and authority. Anyway, I realize that this paragraph probably doesn't apply to what you believe.

But I would like your comments on them being equal in authority and yet Jesus being subject to His father, for you said:

he is equal to God in power and authority because the Father gave him that right.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (sscott @ Dec. 15 2006,08:07)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Dec. 15 2006,06:21)

Yes.  The Father forsaking the Son on the cross is a huge problem for the Trinity Doctrine.  The Trinity Doctrine states that God is One Being yet made of Three Distinct Persons.  If one of the members of the Trinity is not there then you do not have God because God is one which is made up of Three.

Jesus was made sin for us.  The Father poured His wrath out on His Son.  In the darkest moment of the crucifixion Jesus Cries out “My God My God why hast thou forsaken Me.”  The Father had forsaken the Son.  The Son became the object of the Fathers wrath.  So much so that God was pleased to bruise/crush Him.  For the first time Christ was separated from the Father.  In the Trinitarian sense he was separated from the Godhead – which is not compatible with the Trinity Doctrine.  

Christ being forsaken by the Father on the Cross is center point and maximum expression of God's love for us.  The Father forsaking His only Son to reconcile to Him those would rightly deserve and should receive eternal wrath/death.

Sscott

So now its your turn!

WorshippingJesus,

I appologize if I ever came across as “ah, I got you”.  That has never been my intent.  I know I have been a stickler on some points in regard to the Trinity.  I do this because I am looking for answers that are complete and do not transgress other scriptures.  I hope I am equally strict on all understandings of Gods nature.

So, I guess it is my turn.  :)   I wouldn't say that I yet have a complete understanding of the nature of God, as revealed in scripture, that I would be comfortable teaching others.  While I do believe I am understanding some aspect of God more clearly than before I still do have some question.  

Here is how I understand Christ.  I believe He is the word of God who came forth from God.  The Word has always existed within the Father because it is his Word.  Never has the Word of God not existed with in God the Father.  God as His first work brought forth His word and granted Him life with in himself.  The Son – The Word now existing from the Father and apart from the Father…though He is one with the Father.  Christ is called the wisdom of God.  The Wisdom of God is referred to in Prov 8 as being everlasting and being brought forth.  This agrees with the rest of scripture.  

Verses that agree with the above:  
    John 1:1 -word was God with God
    John 5:26 -granted life in Himself by the Father
    Col 1:15 -first born of Creation (following passage then talks about Christ creating) then Christ is also the firstborn from the dead…so He has preeminance in all things.
    1 Corin 1:24 – Christ is the wisdom of God
    Prov 8:22,23 – wisdom of God is everlasting..always withing the Father
    Prove 8:24,25 wisdom was “brought fourth”.

I also believe the account in Genesis is given to give us more understanding of God.

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28

Then we have the account in Gen 2 of Adam and Eve:

21 And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22 Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man.
    23 And Adam said:
         “This is now bone of my bones
         And flesh of my flesh;
         She shall be called Woman,
         Because she was taken out of Man.”

I believe this parallels God bringing forth His word from within Himself.  What “was” Eve was always within Adam.  What was Adam was brought forth and became Eve.  In one sense a beginning and in one since no beginning since what was Eve was within Adam.  

A summary is given in Gen 5:2
    2Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

2 people referred to as one.  

I believe this also agrees with:

1 Corinthians 11:3
    But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Woman came from Man.  Man and women were created by Christ and Christ was brought forth from the Father.

There are a couple of quotes from the “What Christians have said prior to Nicea” article that explain better what I am trying to convey.  I will post two of them:

Hippolytus (ca. 230 A.D)

The first and Only, both Creator and Lord of all, had nothing coeval with Himself… He was One, Alone in Himself…. this Solitary and Supreme Deity, by an act of reflection, brought forth the Word first, not the Word in the sense of being expressed by voice, but as a Reason of the cosmos, conceived and residing in the Divine mind. Him alone He produced from existing things, for the Father Himself constituted existence, and the being born from Him was the cause of all things that are produced. The Word was in the Father Himself, bearing the will of his Progenitor, and not being unacquainted with the mind of the Father. For simultaneously with his procession from His Progenitor, inasmuch as he is this Progenitor's firstborn, he has, as a voice in himself, the concepts conceived in the Father. And so it was, that when the Father ordered the world to come into existence, the Word one by one completed each object of creation, thus pleasing God…. God, who is the source of all authority, wished that the Word might render assistance in accomplishing a production of this kind…. The Word alone of this God is from God himself, wherefore also the Logos is God [that is, “deity,” in the sense of nature of substance], being the substance of God…. Now the Word of God controls all these, the first begotten child of the Father, the voice of the Dawn antecedent to the Morning Star…. This Word, the Father in the latter days sent forth, no longer
    to speak by a prophet, and not wishing that the Word, being obscurely proclaimed, should be made the subject of mere conjecture, but that He should be manifested, so that we could see Him with our own eyes. This Word, I say, the Father sent forth…. This Word we know to have received a body from a virgin, and to have refashioned the old man by a new creation…. This Man we know to have been made out of the compound of our humanity…. He did not protest against his Passion, but became obedient unto death, and manifested his resurrection. Now in all these acts He offered up, as the first-fruits, his own manhood, in order that you, when you are in tribulation, maye not be disheartened, but, confessing yourself to be a man, may dwell in expectation of also receiving what the Father has granted unto this Son. (Against all Heresies, 10).

and:

Theophilus of Antioch (ca. 175 A.D)

God made all things out of nothing, for nothing was coexisting with God, but He being His own place, and wanting nothing, and existing before the ages, willed to make man by whom He might be known, for him, therefore, He prepared the world. For he that is created is also needy, but He that is uncreated stands in need of nothing. God, then, having His own Word internal within His own bosom, begat him, emitting him along with His own wisdom before all things. He had this Word as a helper in the things that were created by Him, and by him He made all things. He [the Word] is called “the Beginning” [arche],1 because he rules, and is Lord of all things fashioned by him. He, then, being Spirit of God, and arche, and wisdom, and Power of The Highest, came down upon the prophets, and through them spoke of the creation of the world and of all other things. For the prophets were not when the world came into existence, but the wisdom of God which was in him, and His holy Word which was always present with him. Wherein he speaks thus by the prophet Solomon: “When He prepared the heavens I was there, and when He appointed the foundations of the earth I was by Him as one brought up with Him.”

So I do believe the Son could have been forsaken by the Father and God could still have been God.  This makes the understanding of their relationship “in love” more meaningfull.  The Father loves the Son because the Son always does those things that please the Father.  He really is the Son.  He is God because He is from God.  But He is not the Father.  They are one in unity.  Unity in the sense that the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father.  Jesus left the Father and His nature and became a man. He lived as one of us yet filled with the Spirit of God without measure.  He was really tempted in every way as we are yet without sin.  He poured out His soul unto death.  He became sin for us.  The Father poured His wrath out on His Son instead of us and forsook Him on the Cross.  God resurrected Christ from the dead.  And Christ is now a faithful High Priest able to sympathize with our weakness…tempted in all way as we are yet without sin.  

It is easier to die for someone yourself that to send your son. This is what God did.  He did that which shows the greatest amount of Love.  He sent His word brought forth..He sent His Son.  That is the greatest expression of love.

This also makes every passage of where Jesus says the Father is greater than I make sense – as well as the passages where Jesus calls God His God.  

Also from Heaven.net.nz:

“For just as from one torch many fires are lighted, but the light of the first torch is not lessened by the kindling of many torches, so the Word, coming forth from the Word-Power of the Father, has not divested of the Word-Power Him who begat Him”.

I am still praying and working on the understanding of the Holy Spirit.  I'm thinking the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of the Father that He and Christ share.  I heard an analogy once and the Sun was used to describe the Spirit.  The Sun is the source and the rays are part of the Sun sent forth by the Sun.  They are in essence “Sun” but they are not “The Sun”.  The sun rays convey the nature and warmth of the Sun because the are Sun just not The Sun.  The Father sends forth His Spirit and communicates with us by His Spirit.  I wish I had the actual analogy to post.  But, this part is still confusing to me because in Rev. is says there are seven Spirits of God.  So…may God help me understand.  :)

I hope my explanation makes sense in the way I am trying to explain it.  Please ask me any questions to help clarify if need be.  

In Him,

sscott

Hi sscott,
    The Word was
    WITH God
    not
    IN God

sscott
    Participant

Hi sscott,
    The Word was
    WITH God
    not
    IN God

Yes.. at the time of John 1:1 the word was WITH God. Though at some point He was brought forth from the Father.

Yes.  I noticed that.  It was the point I was making.  When you are subject to someone you are not really equal with that one.  At least, not equal in rank or position.  I guess you and others argue that they are equal in essence or being, whatever that means.  

IF THE FATHER AND SON ARE EQUAL IN AUTHORITY AS YOU SAY, HOW IS IT THAT ONE IS SUBJECT TO THE OTHER? ? ?

Makes no sense.

Used as an adjective, here is the definition of “subject” in the Encarta:

2. ruled: under the control of somebody or something such as a ruler or a law, and obliged to obey
    a subject nation
    not subject to the laws that apply in this country

And here is the definition when the word is used as a noun in this sense:
    4. person ruled by another: somebody who is ruled by a king, queen, or other authority

If someone is under the control of someone else or ruled by that person, I assure you they are not equal in authority.  One has authority over the other!

Here's another thing that bothers me.  I guess I'm not really arguing this with you since you agree that they are not equal in rank or position.  I guess I'm arguing against the Catholic trinity.  No one has explained the difference to me yet.  But if they are now equal, then they couldn't have been equal before, before Jesus had been given all power and authority.  Anyway, I realize that this paragraph probably doesn't apply to what you believe.

But I would like your comments on them being equal in authority and yet Jesus being subject to His father, for you said:
    he is equal to God in power and authority because the Father gave him that right.

Hi David

The reason they are equal in Authority is again because the Father gave him all authority and power and a name above all names.

Its the Name that carries the authority. For now everything is in the name of Jesus, Yeshua.

But the Father still sits in the throne and Jesus is at the right hand of power.

Only in the throne the rank is Jesus less. When the time comes Jesus willingly submits all to the father.

But then what does that mean? Jesus no longer will have power or authority? Or Jesus will no longer uphold all things by the word of his power? Or will he cease to be the one by whom all things consist?

I think not. The answer is that until the end comes all things are under the Son in things pertaining to the earth and the preisthood and the mediation between God and Men. But when the new heavens and the new earth come there will be no longer any need for the mediation of men.

But Christ will still be in the throne and will still share the Glory with the Father. Because all things were made by Him, Jesus, and for him.

Eph 1:
    10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
    11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

Remember the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

I Cor 15:26
    The last enemy [that] shall be destroyed is death.

I Cor 15:28
    And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

So as long as we are imperfect we are in need of the High Priest Jesus to make intercession for us.

But when that which is perfect is come, when this coruption shall put on incoruption…

I Cor 15:53-55
    For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal [must] put on immortality.
    So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.
    O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

I Jn 3
    2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
    3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Rev 21
    [1] And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
    [2] And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    [3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and ***he will dwell with them***, and they shall be his people, and ***God himself shall be with them, and be their God***.
    4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
    5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
    6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
    7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Here we see that Jesus truly is One with the Father.

Who is speaking in vs 5,6,7.

Compare with Rev 1:8 And Rev 1:11.

God shall be all in all!

Blessings

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi W,
    Then where is your trinity on the throne?

Yes.. at the time of John 1:1 the word was WITH God.  Though at some point He was brought forth from the Father.

Hi Sscott

Proceding from God dosnt mean having his beginning or origin from God.

Jn 8:42
    Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I **proceeded forth** and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

The Gr word for “Proceeded” is exerchomai, which means:
    1) to go or come forth of

a) with mention of the place out of which one goes, or the point from which he departs

1) of those who leave a place of their own accord

2) of those who are expelled or cast out

There is no scriptural evidence Jesus was born or had a beginning!

He is the Eternal life that was with the Father.

:)

BTW I havnt forgot your post I will have to respond later.

Blessings

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account