“I Am” Exodus 3:14/John 8:57,58

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Cult Buster
    Participant

Hi CB:

You say:

Luk 4:12  And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Who was being tempted here? Jesus;    The Lord thy God..
    ………………………………………………………………………………

………………………………………….

I believe that if you will go back and read 4:9-11 you will get the meaning of Luke 4:12.

I believe that if you will go back and read 4:9-11 you will get the meaning of Luke 4:12.

The devil was asking Jesus to jump off of the pinnicale of the temple to prove that he was the Son of God because the devil states the the Word of God states that God has given the angels charge over him essentially from getting hurt.   Therefore, Jesus replies that he will not tempt God by jumping.

God Bless

Hi 942767,

I believe that if you read Luke 4:1-13 you will see that it was Jesus “the Lord thy God” who was being tempted.

Luk 4:1  And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
    Luk 4:2  Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
    Luk 4:13  And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

The following confirms who “the Lord thy God” is.

Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God:

Mar 2:28  Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

It was Christ (Jehovah) who created the heavens and the Earth and rested on the seventh day which He blessed, hallowed and sanctified: thus making Himself the Lord of the sabbath.

Gen 2:1  Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    Gen 2:2  And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    Gen 2:3  And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
    Gen 2:4  These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD (Jehovah) God made the earth and the heavens,

Exo 20:11  For in six days the LORD (Jehovah) made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD (Jehovah) blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Here scripture tells us that Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and then rested on the sabbath (seventh day). And Jesus in Mark 2:28 asserting Himself as the Lord of the sabbath.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Joh 1:2  The same was in the beginning with God.
    Joh 1:3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made..
    Joh 1:14  And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,

This shows that the Lord of the sabbath (Jesus), who was tempted in the wilderness, is the LORD thy God.

Blessings.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    Jesus was tempted.
    He was tempted to put God to the test.
    No can do as that is a temptation to presumption.
    Our God is His God too

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

Our God is Jesus. John 20:28.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    Then what religion are you?

Tim2
    Participant

The one that believes the Bible. Not the one that believes “The Bible minus John 20:28.”

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim 2,
    I do not know of any faith that proclaims that God is the Son of God.

Tim2
    Participant

The Bible does. The faith in the ecumenical creeds does.

I wish I could say I didn't know anyone who thinks that a son has a different nature than his father, but I do.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    Is sharing nature the same as sharing being?
    The monogenes Son has life in himself [Jn 5]and was with God[1jn 1].

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

In creation, sharing the same nature does not mean sharing the same being.

But there it is the nature of God that He is one. So He can't be divided or split among multiple beings. This means that if Jesus is His Son, then they share the same being.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    God is One.
    God has a son.
    God is not a multipersonality being but is the Father[Jn 8.54]

Tim2
    Participant

Hi Nick,

John 8:54 -“Jesus answered, 'If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, “He is our God.”

It sounds like you have quite big inference from that to, “God is not a multiple personality being but is the Father.” Not that anything is wrong with inferences. The word is meant to be understood. Just let me do it to.

But in any event, there is no Scripture that says God is only one person. And there are Scriptures that assert that three persons are God, so until you show me Scriptures that these three persons are not God, I will continue to believe that they are.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim 2,
    There are no scriptures
    that state a lot of things.
    There are no scriptures that do not state God has 100 persons in Him.
    God is one is reliable.

Participant

Quote (Cult Buster @ April 09 2007,17:38)

Hi CB:

You say:

Luk 4:12  And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

Who was being tempted here? Jesus;    The Lord thy God..
    ………………………………………………………………………………

………………………………………….

The devil was asking Jesus to jump off of the pinnicale of the temple to prove that he was the Son of God because the devil states the the Word of God states that God has given the angels charge over him essentially from getting hurt.   Therefore, Jesus replies that he will not tempt God by jumping.

God Bless

Hi 942767,

I believe that if you read Luke 4:1-13 you will see that it was Jesus “the Lord thy God” who was being tempted.

Luk 4:1  And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
    Luk 4:2  Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
    Luk 4:13  And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

It was Christ (Jehovah) who created the heavens and the Earth and rested on the seventh day which He blessed, hallowed and sanctified: thus making Himself the Lord of the sabbath.

Gen 2:1  Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
    Gen 2:2  And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
    Gen 2:3  And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
    Gen 2:4  These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD (Jehovah) God made the earth and the heavens,

Exo 20:11  For in six days the LORD (Jehovah) made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD (Jehovah) blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Here scripture tells us that Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and then rested on the sabbath (seventh day). And Jesus in Mark 2:28 asserting Himself as the Lord of the sabbath.

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Joh 1:3  All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made..

This shows that the Lord of the sabbath (Jesus), who was tempted in the wilderness, is the LORD thy God.

Blessings.

Hi CB:

I believe that you are evading the issue by going to something all together different than we were discussing and that is the cricumstances in Luke 4:9-12.  Let me quote it for you so that you can read it.

Luke 4:9-10 states:
    “And he (the devil) brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:  
    4:10
    For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:  
    4:11
    And * * in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.  
    4:12
    And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said *, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.  

Jesus was saying to the devil that he wasn't going to tempt God by jumping from the pinnacle of the temple.

CB, God has revealed to all humanity that Jesus is His only begotten Son and His Christ. (Matt. 16:13-17)  Don't you believe God?  Do you think that God is hiding something from us?

My desire is God's very best for you and your family.

Tim2
    Participant

Hi 94,

You bring up a good point that “you shall not tempt the Lord thy God.” It seems some people here have been saying Jesus can't be God because He was tempted. But the greek looks the same in 4:12 and 4:13, and 1 Corinthians 10:13. Different though from stumble in Luke 17:1.

In any event, Jesus says it in a way that can legitimately be seen to be telling Satan not to tempt Him.

CB's verses about the Sabbath and creation are pretty clear too.

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tim2,
    Christ wisely did not put God to the test.
    But he was not telling Satan not to tempt himself
    as he had already allowed it to happen.
    Besides he is the son of God, not God Himself.

Cult Buster
    Participant

Hi 942767,

It seems very clear to me that in Luke 4:9, Jesus was being tempted by Satan to jump. Likewise He was tempted to command the stone into bread and to worship Satan.

Why should Satan tempt the Father or the Holy Spirit. He was there to try to tempt the incarnate Christ to commit sin.

If Jesus had succumbed to Satan's temptation, it would make no difference to Satan if angels were asked to catch Him or not. There would have been a serious consequence for humanity and the universe at large. Satan would have been the victor in the controversy between good and evil. The incarnate Christ had to be tempted by Satan to commit sin.

The whole context of Luke 4:1-13 is that it was Jesus who was being tempted. See in particular the following.

Who did the devil depart from. He departed from Christ who he was tempting.

The truth of Luke 4:1-13 is that it was Jesus “the Lord thy God” who was being tempted. This battle at the highest level  is between God and Satan. Christ and Satan.

If you feel that I was using Jesus' title as “Lord of the Sabbath” being the “Lord thy God” to evade the issue then I will post it separately for you to consider. I was presenting more than just one evidence of Jesus' title as “the Lord thy God”.

Who was being tempted here? Jesus; The Lord thy God..

Blessings.

Cult Buster
    Participant

CB, God has revealed to all humanity that Jesus is His only begotten Son and His Christ. (Matt. 16:13-17)  Don't you believe God?  Do you think that God is hiding something from us?

Mar 14:61  But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
    Mar 14:62  And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
    Mar 14:63  Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?
    Mar 14:64  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Even the Jews understood that the Christ, the Son of the Blessed was God, that is why they accused Jesus of blasphemy.

Jesus answered the high priest “I AM”,  and claimed to be the Son of the Blessed, whom the Jews understood to be God. The high priest accused Jesus of blasphemy, because He claimed to be the Christ, the Son of the Blessed and  because He used the name of God “I AM” as His own. When a man claims to be God it is blasphemy (John 10:33).

Joh 10:33  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Jesus could have said to the high priest, “I wasn't blaspheming, you misunderstood me, I am not claiming to be God.” But He didn't correct the high priest because Jesus was in fact asserting His deity.

Jesus was accused many times of blasphemy, of making Himself God, but never once did He try to change their perception of Him claiming deity. Jesus was and is the self existent and eternal Jehovah God. The great I AM.

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

david
    Participant

Look again! How can anyone miss it?

I am pretty certain people can miss it CB because it's in the Bible 1500 times and most people assume that when Jesus says it, it means what it always means, the same that it means when we have used it hundreds or thousands of times on this forum.

david
    Participant

The New Encyclopædia Britannica says: “Neither the word Trinity, nor the explicit doctrine as such, appears in the New Testament, nor did Jesus and his followers intend to contradict the Shema in the Old Testament: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord’ (Deut. 6:4). . . . The doctrine developed gradually over several centuries and through many controversies. . . . By the end of the 4th century . . . the doctrine of the Trinity took substantially the form it has maintained ever since.”—(1976), Micropædia, Vol. X, p. 126.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia states: “The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century. But it is precisely this formulation that has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.”—(1967), Vol. XIV, p. 299.

In The Encyclopedia Americana we read: “Christianity derived from Judaism and Judaism was strictly Unitarian [believing that God is one person]. The road which led from Jerusalem to Nicea was scarcely a straight one. Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.”—(1956), Vol. XXVII, p. 294L.

According to the Nouveau Dictionnaire Universel, “The Platonic trinity, itself merely a rearrangement of older trinities dating back to earlier peoples, appears to be the rational philosophic trinity of attributes that gave birth to the three hypostases or divine persons taught by the Christian churches. . . . This Greek philosopher’s [Plato, fourth century B.C.E.] conception of the divine trinity . . . can be found in all the ancient [pagan] religions.”—(Paris, 1865-1870), edited by M. Lachâtre, Vol. 2, p. 1467.

John L. McKenzie, S.J., in his Dictionary of the Bible, says: “The trinity of persons within the unity of nature is defined in terms of ‘person’ and ‘nature’ which are G[ree]k philosophical terms; actually the terms do not appear in the Bible. The trinitarian definitions arose as the result of long controversies in which these terms and others such as ‘essence’ and ‘substance’ were erroneously applied to God by some theologians.”—(New York, 1965), p. 899.

Cult Buster
    Participant

Hi 942767

Here are the verses that I said I would post separately.

Here scripture tells us that Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and then rested on the sabbath (seventh day). And Jesus in Mark 2:28 asserted Himself as the Lord of the sabbath.

This shows that the Creator Lord of the sabbath (Jesus), is the LORD thy God.

See the whole of the fourth commandment. It identifies the Lord of the sabbath, our creator Jesus Christ, as the Lord thy God.

Exo 20:8  Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
    Exo 20:9  Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
    Exo 20:10  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
    Exo 20:11  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account