“I Am” Exodus 3:14/John 8:57,58

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 281 through 288 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    Unisage
    Participant

Paul wrote.. Who, being in the form of God, he did not write, Who, being in the divine nature of God. If this were Paul intention he would have used the same words as Peter in 2Peter 1:4 Ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.Or even easier, Paul would have simple wrote, Who, being in the form of God.Jesus was not born a spiritual being but a human being,a man, in the form of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Cult Buster @ May 07 2007,01:53)
    Nick

Hi Tim2,
    The Son is more closely similar to God than any other being
    without being that God.

Look again Nick.

Phi 2:6  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Zec 7:11  But they refused to hearken, and pulled away the shoulder, and stopped their ears, that they should not hear. :O

Hi CB,
    KJV is bizarre on Phil 2, quite different to the sense of almost any other translation and it's olde worlde english makes it incomprehensible.
    But even if it is fair then if robbery was in the frame then the being considering the robbery currently does not have what he is considering stealing.

Cult Buster
    Participant

John 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
    John 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    John 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am
    John 8:59  Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Jesus said  “Before Abraham was, I am”

He was telling the Jews that He was God, using the name Jehovah Himself had revealed to Moses at the burning bush, “I AM.” He could have made no stronger claim of deity.

Without doubt, Jesus knew the difference in the Greek between “I am” and “I have been.”  Jesus did not use the form “I have been” in the Greek, but used the form “I am.”  

Thus  clearly the Jews understood that Jesus was Himself claiming to be the Great I AM God and were enraged and wanted Him dead.

The present tense, I am, expresses essential existence, see Col. 1:17, and was often used by our Lord to assert His divine Being. In these verses the Godhood of Christ is involved; and this the Jews clearly understood, by their violent conduct toward Him.”

When Jesus declared …: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am,”  He claimed for Himself as God the timeless presence of eternity as His mode of existence.

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM  hath sent me unto you.

Joh 10:33  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

The Jews obviously understand that Jesus was claiming to be God. Jesus did not dispute their accusation. He could have but He didn't, simply because Jesus was Jehovah God. He could have set the record straight by saying to the Jews, I am not claiming to be God, you misunderstood me. But Jesus did not correct them because He was in fact claiming to be the divine God Jehovah.

The high priest knowing that the Son of the Blessed is God tried to “incriminate” Jesus by getting Him to proclaim His divinity.

Mar 14:61   Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

Mar 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mar 14:63  Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

Mar 14:64  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

The high priest accused Jesus of blasphemy because He used the name of God “I AM” as His own and claiming to be the Son of the Blessed. The Jews knew that the Son of the Blessed was God. When a man claims to be God it is blasphemy (John 10:33). Jesus could have said to the high priest, you misunderstood me, I am not claiming to be God. But He didn't correct the high priest because Jesus was in fact God. Jesus was and is the self existent and eternal Jehovah God.

The claim of Jesus to be “sitting on the right hand of power” is a metaphor meaning that all authority and power belongs to Him. That is all
    authority and power.

Back to John 8:58, Jesus takes the name of God, “I AM”, and applies it to himself. Only God may use this title without blaspheming (Ex. 20:7, Deut. 5:11), and the punishment for someone other than God to use the sacred “I AM” is stoning (Lev. 24:16).

Thus in verse 59, Jesus’ audience picked up stones to kill him, because they correctly understood his use of “I AM” as his claim to being God and hence thought he was guilty of blasphemy.

This verse proves to be difficult for the JWs to combat, and so they changed “I AM” to “I have been” in their bible.”

The Greek here is ego eimi, which any first-semester Greek student can tell you means “I am.” It should also be noted that it would be rather strange for people to stone Jesus for saying that he “had been.”

The same Greek student can tell you that “ego eimi” is in the present tense, and Jesus meant what He said — He is the “I AM”. just as Jehovah is the “I AM”.

There are a very small number of translations that avoid a direct translation of the present indicative ego eimi. The Jehovah's Witnesses' own translation, the New World Translation, is one of this very small minority rendering “ego eimi” as “I have been”. For them to translate this phrase accurately, it would contradict their church's present doctrines.

In contrast the overwhelming majority of Bible translations both old and new translate “ego eimi” as “I am”. Here are some examples.

King James, New King James, New American Standard Bible, New International Version, Philips Modern English, Revised Standard Version, Today's English Version, Jerusalem Bible, New English Bible, American Standard Version, New American Bible, Douay, Young's Literal Translation, Berkeley Version, Norlie's Simplified New Testament, New Testament in Modern English (Montgomery), New Testament in Modern Speech (Weymouth), Wuest's Expanded Translation, Amplified New Testament, New Testament (Swann), Aldine Bible, Four Gospels (C. C. Torrey), Confraternity Version, Four Gospels (Rieu), New Testament (Knox), Concordant Literal New Testament, Anchor Bible, Rotherham, Holy Bible in Modern English (Fenton), Bible in BASIC English, Better Version (Estes), Sacred Writings (A. Campbell), New Easy-to-Read Version, New Testament for the New World.

It is a serious matter to deny Jesus is the “I AM”, for Jesus Himself said in John 8:24,  “Unless you believe that I am (ego eimi) you shall die in your sins.”

Jesus Himself laid down the line – unless one believes Him for whom He says He is – the ego eimi, the great I AM – one will die in one's sins. There is no salvation in a false Christ. If we are to be united with Christ to have eternal life, then we must be united with the true Christ, not a false representation. It is out of love that Christ uttered John 8:24. We would do well to heed His words.

Additionally, about 250 years the Jews translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek. It is called the Septuagint, also known as LXX. In the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated in the Greek in a present tense, i.e., I AM…
    The correct translation of Jesus' words is, “Before Abraham was, I am.”
    If this verse should really be translated as “I have been” then why did the Jews want to kill Jesus? The answer is simple: They knew He was claiming to be God.

See the next example.

John 10:30-34 34 is a section of verses where the Pharisees say that Jesus is making Himself out to be God (v. 33).

“I and the Father are one.” Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Even the Jews knew Jesus was claiming to be God.

Now turn to Revelation 1:17-18 which says, “Do not be fearful; I am (ego eimi) the First and the Last, and the living one; and I became dead but look! I am living forever.”

Who is speaking here? Obviously, it is Jesus for He died but is now alive, and He is called the First and the Last the name of God. And guess what? Jesus also refers to Himself as I am. (ego eimi)

I am     and     the First and Last

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM  hath sent me unto you.

Now look at this closely!

John 18:5-6 “They answered Him, “Jesus the Nazarene.” He said to them, “I am.” And Judas also, the one who betrayed Him, was standing with them. Therefore when He said to them, “I am,” they went backwards and fell upon the ground.”

Why did they fall over backwards when Jesus used the name of Almighty God as His own? And why would the soldiers fall backwards if not for the awesomeness of the words of Jesus?

Even blind Freddy can see that Jesus is the great I AM God.

Similarities between the Arians and the Pharisees?

Both deny the Deity of Jesus :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CB,
    Three deities?
    Holy, Holy Holy?
    Does it matter which order?

michaels
    Participant

this (yhwh)in exidus verse15 can not be Gods name ,must have been changed because his real name is to special.they must have writen this as they write LORD every where now.read ex 6:3,the name in this verse must have been changed for it is clear that abraham knew God as (yhwh).the only name abram dident know God by is (I AM),so this must truly be his memorial name forever,not (YHWH).

michaels
    Participant

me was reading some of the begining of this thred, no jesus is not (I AM)for God said clearly he had glorified his own name and he would do it again,and jesus clearly said he only spoke of the father,me beleive all of the (I AM) statements are the father speaking thru jesus of himself,God could have spoke thru a donkey if he chose.their clearly are times when God spoke thru jesus,and other times when jesus spoke to explain the things God said thru him.

michaels
    Participant

if all these statements were about himself,he was not makeing himself lowly at all but raiseing himself up in pride,are we not to follow in his footsteps,so if all these statements were about himself,to follow him we would have to go about makeing ourselves God by makeing all these statements of our selves.if we have seen him we have seen the father, for the father was in him,and even now he is in the father

michaels
    Participant

who is your god?

Viewing 8 posts - 281 through 288 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account