The nature of god

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

My question is simple, I'm curious as to what the nature of God is? By this I mean is God benevolent? Is God wrathful, or some combination of the two?

I'd prefer if people based their answers to these questions on their own experiences, opinions, contemplations etc… Rather than biblical verses however I can't stop you from using them.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tom,
    He is very strange till you get to know Him-distant, seemingly unknowable, almost cruel even. If you want to know how hard He can be take a look at the Old Testament.
    But when you meet Him through His Son He is warm and caring and extremely supportive. Things go better. Life has purpose and a real future emerges.

Anonymous

If you study some of these “so called” harsh or cruel acts of God carefully, you cannot escape the conclusion that they were always done for the greater good of mankind. For instance, when Israel's enemies threatened them and were 'dealt to', whether by human agency or supernaturally intervention (e.g. 2 Kings 19:35), it was done to protect the Messianic line. If Israel was wiped out then the whole world had a much problem than a misconception of God's nature. I think God understood the gravity of the situation and acted accordingly to prevent it.

Proclaimer
    Participant

God is love and all that he does is motivated by love. In an imperfect world sometimes love forces hard things to happen for the greater good.

I know that if I had not been through the hardships that I have in my life, then I would have less character. When I die I take my character with me, but my goods stay here on earth.

Sometimes what is hard now gives a very good harvest later.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tom,
    God is love, but our God is also a consuming fire. No one dare approach Him except through His Son whom He loves so much.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Tom,
    I do not know how familiar you are with the bible or the life of Jesus. If you are then look up the book of Isaiah
    Chapter 40v3, 42.1-4, 49 1-2, 50 6-7, 53 1-12.
    These words were written 500 years before Christ yet they describe in detail his life, his sufferings and his death. We are the people of the bible. You cannot separate our faith from our faith in the bible. They are intertwined. The bible gives us evidence for things only God can do and that includes revealing the future. The bible is full of many more such examples.
    There is also an amazing harmony within the bible. Things written 1000's of years apart by different men in different cultures and places are almost exactly the same. There pervading influence of God in these beautiful words is almost palpable. You soon find you cannot ignore His power. If he can use these men to write and do what He wants done throughout history why would anyone not want to be on His side? What futility there is in fighting His will.
    Read the last chapters.He wins!

genden
    Participant

I can personally attest to the fact that, to me, God is good. He wants to draw us close. He wants us to know him but like someone already mentioned, He will not meet you on your terms. He will only meet you thru Jesus Christ. I think this is because we have a way of making God out to be who we want Him to be. He is real. To me He is the ultimate. One day when my life was a mess (drugs, alcohol, meaninglessness, I was lost) I just prayed over and over one night 'God help me, God help me, God help me. Take my life and do with it what you will because I am making a mess of it'. I woke up and knew something had changed in me. I started on a journey that led me to meeting my husband and he introduced me to Christ. My life has never been the same. If only you would be willing to take a chance on Christ. I know that God is Good and no one could convince me otherwise. I cant change anyone's opinion on this one but I am convinced. I get confused sometimes when horrific things happen. But I take that confusion now to God in prayer and sometimes he gives me reasons and answers other times he is silent or says 'just trust me'. He is good.

epistemaniac
    Participant

Quote (Guest @ May 25 2005,08:37)
    If you study some of these “so called” harsh or cruel acts of God carefully, you cannot escape the conclusion that they were always done for the greater good of mankind. For instance, when Israel's enemies threatened them and were 'dealt to', whether by human agency or supernaturally intervention (e.g. 2 Kings 19:35), it was done to protect the Messianic line. If Israel was wiped out then the whole world had a much problem than a misconception of God's nature. I think God understood the gravity of the situation and acted accordingly to prevent it.

DVD, I have to agree with you… often there is an attempt at a dichotomy between “the OT and the NT God”… saying that the latter is a God of love but the former is a God of wrath… however, the NT clearly portrays God as a God of wrath as well as love… no one spoke more of the horrors of Hell then the Son…. and the OT which at first glance may be full of Law and not grace is just not so…. there is law and gospel in both testaments…

so Tom, if you are still around… when trying to sort out what sort of being God is, I have found that it is unwise to try and lift one attribute over the others as if it is a controlling attribute… God is love, but He is also a jealous God, full of wrath towards unrepentant sinners… He is merciful… true… but He also sends sinners to an eternity of punishment…

in my own experience I have felt God's love, to me… a desperate sinner…. but God has also allowed the temporal results of my sins to have their way with me…. God simply does not rescue us from all the sowing we have done, letting us reap the whirlwind if it serves His greater purpose to do so…. I know you said you did not want biblical quotes per se, but, I have to point out that alongside the many well known passages that speak of God's love to His people, He also wants us to know that, as any father who is truly involved with his children, if he truly loves them he will not fail to discipline them… so the next passage teaches…. I will close with that word from the Lord… as an aside.. ther caps are not shouting… the NNAS capitalizes OT passages in the NT:

(Heb 12:1-11 NNAS) “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, {2} fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. {3} For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. {4} You have not yet resisted to the point of shedding blood in your striving against sin; {5} and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons, “MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD, NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM; {6} FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.” {7} It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline? {8} But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. {9} Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live? {10} For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness. {11} All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.”

blessings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account